• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD/HD DVD ISO Image Creation

No, this "feature" is Blu-ray only, files on DVDs or HD-DVDs aren't interleaved.
(I did tell you folks, that Blu-ray sucks, didn't I? ;) )

Well, my $190 HP HD-DVD external drive gathering dust at the back of my PC table agrees with you, and also says you you didn't have to tell me!

By the way, this drive is so much better than the famous XBox drive. I don't know why it didn't get popular at all. Maybe HP just decided to go blu, because I couldn't find the drive right after I bought it.

The padding seems to be there only for some discs. I am Legend doesn't do it. For all intents and purposes, the resulting ISOs using both methods with ImgBurn are the same size.

I agree with you. What i'm understanding however, is that the "padding" some are seeing with some disks (dual layer for example) isn't really padding at all, it comes from the way they are copying files over to the hard drive or making ISOs.

So for example if I made an ISO using CloneCd/ImageBurn directly from disk using read mode, that ISO file would be the same size as the original disk but larger than if I made the ISO using build mode as that only reads the files but not the "extra" information from the disk.

It might sound like a nitpick issue, but I could see how a user might stop using ImageBurn if he/she thought that it was adding information to an already bloated file. It was important enough for posters on this and other forums to clarify.

So we can agree that ImageBurn isn't padding the ISO, but it is important to understand what is going on even though its not all Blu Ray disk especially because it sounds like this extra information might be needed to burn the image back to disk and the disk be playable.

Yeah, I think it was already clarified a few posts above. I actually didn't catch your post, I was just letting people know about what I found. I am Legend is a dual-layer disc, by the way. I forgot to mention that. It is about 37-38GB.

I don't think padding is the right word to use at all. I think James is correct and that it's an interleaving issue on some discs but not all. That being the case I can tell you that I plan on continuing my method of reading the full image using CloneCD with AnyDVD disabled. That gives me as close to the original as possible. If I ever decide to burn any of this to a blank disc in the future, I simply need to mount the image with the latest version of AnyDVD HD at the time and do a disc copy. (mounted drive->blank disc) The file structure will be preserved that way for best playback.

From what I understand, the AACS check was added as a support issue. Don't ask. :) Just know that I don't believe it was intended to prevent someone from ripping an encrypted disc.

So, to recap:

It is safe to use ImgBurn to rip your images if that's what you like to use. It currently blocks you from reading an encrypted issue but that may not be the case in future versions.

CloneCD can be used to rip images from encrypted and decrypted discs and the read portion of the program never times out.

There is no spoon...er...padding going on. :) You can theoretically save space by using ImgBurn's build mode directly from the original disc(yes, the same as if you were building from folders on the hdd) to create a smaller image for SOME titles, but, you would lose the interleaving possibly causing you problems if you later decide to burn the image.

Did I miss anything?

Samuri, you should probably update the OP, since I did get a bit confused, even after the issue was already settled, until I read some later posts.

CloneDVD is an application designed to process DVD's, allowing you to select/deselect titlesets to keep and remove. It will also compress a DVD9 to a DVD5 if you need to. It has absolutely nothing to do with BD's.

CloneCD is a program that is used to read and write images from and to discs. It can do so for DVD, BD, HD DVD, etc. It is used for 1:1 copies of the original.

This question comes from my ignorance of how AnyDVD works, so please bear with me...and I mean no offense by this either :) Suppose Slysoft "goes away" for whatever reason...wouldn't that prevent the encrypted ISO's from running?

I thought I understood that if AnyDVD is enabled and an encrypted ISO is detected for playback that AnyDVD will then contact a server for the decryption keys, correct? So in a perfect world this wouldnt be an issue, but if that server goes away and your ISO is still protected, then you're SOL unless it was ripped with AnyDVD initially enabled. Correct??? OR am I way out in left field on this?

Just trying to understand any potential "gotcha's" with either ripping method.

That's incorrect. It only connects to the server if it finds an unknown key...and then only once. So any titles up to your theoretical "slysoft goes away" doomsday scenario will continue to work just fine. But then, that'd be the case regardless of whether you're decrypting the original or an image as there's really no difference in my method. I treat the image as an original.

Also, those that are using Daemon Tools and don't like it, a new beta of Virtual Clone Drive has just been released today that finally supports HD DVD/BD images for PowerDVD. No x64 support, but it does support Vista 32. So, give it a shot and see what you think! You can find it in the Virtual Clone Drive forum.

Thank you for the clarification! My cup will be "half full" instead of "half empty" from here on out ;)

I do understand the concern, but, I think Slysoft will be around for quite a while. :) Nonetheless, better safe than sorry so it's a good question to ask. But, rest assured, that all new versions of AnyDVD contain all found keys since the previous version. And once you hit the server (by inserting an original disc with AnyDVD enabled with an unknown key) it will cache the key locally so it'll work on any encrypted image from there on out. And then that key will be added to the next version of AnyDVD. So, anything you can decrypt now you'll always be able to decrypt.

Just to reiterate, because it might not be 100% clear to some, and it isn't really pointed out clearly in post #1 (it isn't listed as part of the needed steps), but there should be one more step to saving the encrypted iso to the hdd. Though this step is only needed for the "doomsday scenario". ;)

After CloneCD has finished saving the iso to your hdd, you then need to be connected to the internet, start AnyDVD HD, and then mount the newly created iso. Only then will you be assured that the key resides in your local AnyDVD HD cache/database/whatever. And besides the "doomsday scenario", this will also ensure that you can watch that iso at a later date even if you don't have an internet connection.

I'll update the original post, but, that's not necessarily the right way to go. Put the original in with AnyDVD active before ripping, and then disable AnyDVD for the rip is the better way. There are technical reasons for doing it that way. I'll update my post, though, to make sure people are doing this.

I'll update the original post, but, that's not necessarily the right way to go. Put the original in with AnyDVD active before ripping, and then disable AnyDVD for the rip is the better way. There are technical reasons for doing it that way. I'll update my post, though, to make sure people are doing this.
Ahh ... ok, I'll modify my method. I hadn't thought of that - I guess that's why we have you. :D

I do my best. :) That is why we have this thread though. I knew this was a very important topic for people and the discussion on it has been absolutely great. I truly hope this helps people out.

I've updated the original post with some new information and hopefully made it more clear. Also, I've decided to remove the ImgBurn "padding" information altogether as it was misleading and incorrect. I didn't want anyone to get confused by it. Enjoy!

Hi there
How do I compress a 42.8gb iso to 25gb?

Used your method to get the files, then ImgBurn to create the iso, but im lost now.

Of course you're lost on how to do that. There isn't a way to shrink an ISO. The best you'll be able to do is use a bunch of tools to extract the video, audio, and subtitles of choice into a main movie only copy. If you had looked at the thread entitled "Frequenty Asked Questions" you'd have seen question number 1 and followed the link to the answer. I suggest doing so now.

Back