• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD/HD DVD ISO Image Creation

This is correct.

This is not. It's deceptive, really. The wizards of Slysoft are so good at making AnyDVD transparent. We need to be clear about this...ripping an image is *NOT* sufficient. At some point in the chain AnyDVD needs to be active and work *ITS* magic on the protection. What my method is doing is simply delaying the inevitible. What I mean is, when you rip with AnyDVD enabled, the protection is removed transparently in the background. You don't see this magic happen because, like I said, the wizards of Slysoft make it so damn easy for us to use. But rest assured, there is a *GREAT* deal of magic happening under the covers that you will never see. So what I suggest is ripping a protected image. By itself, a completely unplayable encrypted mess. However, once again the wizards of Slysoft have made things a bit too easy for us. Because AnyDVD contains a database of known keys, the mounted image can be decrypted in the background and because James took special care in how the BD+ protection gets eliminated, that too can be done on a mounted image. It is impossible to determine the AACS title key from an encrypted image. The key database MUST be used. But this is all transparent making it deceptive as to what's really happening. Thanks, Slysoft wizards!!! :)

Hi SamuriHL,

Make no mistake, I can't appreciated enough and realized how much magic AnyDVD HD did for us in the background in order for us to back up BD in our HDD. But after I read your threads few time, I just don't see where is the AnyDVD came from your suggested method, that's why I am keep thinking I must not 100% understand perhaps I am thinking too much??? :bang: As usual please share with me if you can. Thanks!

You make an ISO image that contains all the encryption and BD+ protection still. This is done without AnyDVD. When you then mount that image, if AnyDVD is not active, that image will do NOTHING for you at all because it's still AACS encrypted and potentially BD+ protected, as well. IOW, the AnyDVD magic comes in when you mount your image with Daemon Tools. Meaning that any time you mount the image, AnyDVD HD *MUST* be active using my method because you've not removed the protection during the initial ISO rip.

Last edited:
You make an ISO image that contains all the encryption and BD+ protection still. This is done without AnyDVD. When you then mount that image, if AnyDVD is not active, that image will do NOTHING for you at all because it's still AACS encrypted and potentially BD+ protected, as well. IOW, the AnyDVD magic comes in when you mount your image with Daemon Tools. Meaning that any time you mount the image, AnyDVD HD *MUST* be active using my method because you've not removed the protection during the initial ISO rip.

Now I got it 100%. I mis the mount part that AnyDVD will enable and do all the magic at that moment. Now it makes perfect sense. Now I need to get a CloneDVD now ;) Again, thanks for all the education. Last I think it will be good to make a thread and sticky that thread and I sure this will not be the last time someone going to ask this questions and instructions.

You need CloneCD not CloneDVD to make this happen. :)

This thread has been added to the FAQ so it shouldn't be hard to find in the future.

So, the Doom9 thread has been updated. It would seem that in ISO read mode there is no padding being done. It would only be for build mode. IOW, if you want to rip with ImgBurn and AnyDVD enabled, this should give you decent results, as well. However, I still prefer to rip with AnyDVD disabled in my case.

Anyway, yea, LUK added a check for AACS because he doesn't want ImgBurn being used to rip protected discs. I can understand his fear on that issue.

Sorry, but I don't. Many freeware or shareware authors bow down for absolutely no reason. Some even blacklist AnyDVD. Of course, it is their decision and I'll accept that. But checking if an AACS directory is present on a sector copy? Additional code must be written for such a check. CloneCD for example has absolutely no knowledge what is on the disc it is going to copy. Nobody could claim ImgBurn is a tool to circumvent a copy protection, as an AACS protected image is still *encrypted*.

At least CloneCD is there for the rescue. And BTW, it doesn't need to be registered if it used only for reading. Image creation will never time out.

Hi SamuriHL,

I was struggle a bit to ask this question... I feel I asked to many questions lately :p can you kindly to let me know that how to play a ISO file from PDVD? I have been looking and I can't figure that out. When I pointed a .tms file before and I hit play it will play. Now, when I use 3730a when I pointed an ISO file, it is gray out... So how do I play an ISO image file using PDVD 3730a?

Sorry, but I don't. Many freeware or shareware authors bow down for absolutely no reason. Some even blacklist AnyDVD. Of course, it is their decision and I'll accept that. But checking if an AACS directory is present on a sector copy? Additional code must be written for such a check. CloneCD for example has absolutely no knowledge what is on the disc it is going to copy. Nobody could claim ImgBurn is a tool to circumvent a copy protection, as an AACS protected image is still *encrypted*.

At least CloneCD is there for the rescue. And BTW, it doesn't need to be registered if it used only for reading. Image creation will never time out.

Well, when I said I understood, I understand his particular reasoning for it. I didn't say I necessarily agreed with it, but, I'm not the author so that decision isn't up to me. I will completely agree that in this case it's overkill because, as you said, the image by itself is useless. Unless you have a title key, it can't be decrypted and you can't get a title key from an image. So yea, on this we completely agree...I don't necessarily see the point. Nonetheless, I can see why LUK in particular is being careful given former experience and all.

That's really good to know about CloneCD! I never knew that. Thanks!!

Hi SamuriHL,

I was struggle a bit to ask this question... I feel I asked to many questions lately :p can you kindly to let me know that how to play a ISO file from PDVD? I have been looking and I can't figure that out. When I pointed a .tms file before and I hit play it will play. Now, when I use 3730a when I pointed an ISO file, it is gray out... So how do I play an ISO image file using PDVD 3730a?

Do not ever feel like you ask too many questions! That is how we ALL learn.

You can't play an ISO file directly. It must be mounted in Daemon Tools. Once it is mounted in Daemon Tools, it'll show up on your system as a virtual BD drive and PowerDVD won't know the difference between that and a real BD drive. This is the part that probably confused you before about where AnyDVD was in this process. When the ISO is mounted in Daemon Tools and shows up as a drive letter, AnyDVD then performs its magic just as if it were a regular drive. (Mostly. There is a significant difference but it's pretty much irrelevant given how Slysoft set up AnyDVD.) Be careful to read ALL the installation screens when installing Daemon Tools because it contains adware. However, you can safely uncheck the options to install the adware. Daemon Tools does not need it to run.

Correct me if I am wrong again :p I just tried it, as soon as I mount the ISO image, now I see AnyDVD popped up and scan the ISO image like when we put a actual disk into a drive. Right after that, then I have additional drive E and now I guess I will just choose Drive E, in my case and play, right?

That's absolutely correct. You should be good to go.

It would seem the AACS check in ImgBurn was not in there for the reason I believed. It was a misunderstanding on my part as to why it's there. I have it on good authority that the check will likely change in the next release. So, if you like using ImgBurn to do your rips there's no reason to stop using it. It's a well authored app and I still use it to burn all my media. It is by far one of the best freeware apps I've ever seen.

It would seem the AACS check in ImgBurn was not in there for the reason I believed. It was a misunderstanding on my part as to why it's there. I have it on good authority that the check will likely change in the next release. So, if you like using ImgBurn to do your rips there's no reason to stop using it.
Nice! Thanks for the good news!

Nice! Thanks for the good news!

Yup. We'll have to keep an eye out for the next version and see what kind of changes are there. I'm glad I was wrong on this one. :)

According to the latest info on the Doom9 thread, ImgBurn is not padding it. It's done by the BD itself. What the OP of that thread has discovered is that if you do a create image from files/folder and use the original disc with AnyDVD HD running, the created image will be 5+ gigs smaller than a sector copy using ISO read mode. I don't know what to make of that. Some testing needs to be done in this area.

So, the Doom9 thread has been updated. It would seem that in ISO read mode there is no padding being done. It would only be for build mode. IOW, if you want to rip with ImgBurn and AnyDVD enabled, this should give you decent results, as well. However, I still prefer to rip with AnyDVD disabled in my case.

Are you referring to this post?

Actually I found out why there is a size discrepency. ImgBurn or CloneCD is just doing a 1:1 sector dump, so no more or less data/padding. But it seems the padding sectors are already in the BluRay disc(maybe to avoid interrupt between two layers?). If you check the total size of the files on the disc, usually it's less by a few gigabytes. I should use ImgBurn's "Build Image from files" option, not the "disc->image read" option, that will read the files instead of raw sectors, so I'll save lots of space. Of course, this is not a 100% identical ISO copy, but I don't think I'll ever write the ISO to BD-R/RE disc, so saving my HD space is superb!

I tried a few movies, Apocalypto, Black Hawk Down, Chicago, Curse of Golden Flowers, I can save 5-7GB for each ISO. They all mount and play fine with Daemon/PowerDVD.

It seems to me that what he's saying is the opposite, that padding is being done in read mode, but it's not ImgBurn's fault and it's the same with CloneCD, as the padding sectors are on the disc. But using the build option does get rid of the padding, but it's not a 1:1 anymore (actually this is great for most of us, we don't need a 1:1 copy, the files in a non-1:1 ISO copy will play just as well.)

Last edited:
Yup. Which is what I said in my last post and why I said we should do some further testing of this concept. It's quite interesting to say the least.

Back