• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD/HD DVD ISO Image Creation

...start AnyDVD HD, and then mount the newly created iso. Only then will you be assured that the key resides in your local AnyDVD HD cache/database/whatever...
Sorry if my reading skills are inadequate, but I have two questions:

1. Where does AnyDVD HD store the keys anyway (make sure I back that up)

2. Is there an older version of ImgBurn that still works

Guess I can pop for one more program (CloneCD) if I have to but... :eek:

I can't answer where they're stored. I honestly don't know and am not sure if Slysoft will give that info out.

Yes, older versions of ImgBurn, if you can find them, will rip ISOs from protected discs. I'm under the impression that future versions may restore that ability but we'll have to wait and see. For now, you can use the CloneCD trial which as James said will not time out for reading images. It will time out for writing images after the 21 day trial is up.

I can't answer where they're stored. I honestly don't know and am not sure if Slysoft will give that info out.
I was wondering that as well.
Though I like to do Acronis backup's of just my C drive anyway (which I partition, and only keep programs on the C drive, so that backup doesn't get unreasonable in size, or in time to create) - so I guess that's good enough - actually, that's probably the best method.

EDIT: and my iso's are created using Linux (PS3) - so I don't need imgburn or the "unlimited" trial of CloneCD. Sometimes you just gotta love linux. :D

Yea, you have to transfer the image, however, so, that's a downside. ;)

And the reason I don't think Slysoft will give information on where the key database is stored is because I'm sure they don't want those keys to leak to competetors. I can fully understand that considering that AnyDVD is a commercial product. Nonetheless, a full disk backup should suffice. Besides, once you find an unknown key and have to hit the server to get it, Slysoft automagically adds it to the next version of AnyDVD anyway. So, the risk that you will somehow end up with a bunch of titles that can't be decrypted is EXTREMELY small.

Yea, you have to transfer the image, however, so, that's a downside. ;)
hmmm .... there is that. And that is rather time consuming. :(

I'm just waiting until there is an affordable dual layer writer for me to put in my HTPC - then I'll sell my PS3. Or perhaps keep it as a spare player (I still don't have an hdmi receiver, so I get better sound out of my HTPC's auzentech card using 6channel analog out, even with PowerDVD's resampling of the hi-def audio tracks - this is the only reason I watch movies from my HTPC as opposed to the PS3). I suppose I should just get an hdmi receiver - that would solve a lot of issues. :eek:

Understand that I started out with the PS3 as my only BD drive, as well, so, I fully understand where you're coming from. My LG drive, however, was worth every penny (even if it dropped 100 bucks in price in 3 months...sniff sniff). Not having to transfer images and boot SAK...AWESOME.

I'm in that same boat. I get MUCH better sound through analog on my HTPC than I do on my PS3. Yes, HDMI receivers are in our future, but, for now, screw em. :)

I can't answer where they're stored...Yes, older versions of ImgBurn, if you can find them, will rip ISOs from protected discs...For now, you can use the CloneCD trial ...
Thanks SamuriHL, I do have all my older versions of ImgBurn and maybe I'll give the last one a try, but good to know CloneCD will work for this purpose.

Maybe the keys are in the script files, which you can put anywhere (mine are in a special folder in my Documents so they are always backed-up).

No matter, I thought it might have been an easy question that I missed somehow.

ImgBurn has been updated and now appears to make the Protected Disc dialog more of a warning. It looks like it can be disabled in the tools/settings/general tab so that it will no longer warn you. I have not tested this out yet but I'm pretty sure that's how it works now. So ImgBurn is once again a viable option for ripping your discs!

Few questions...

Before cyberlink decided to lose the HDD playback ability, I was ripping a good 4-5 HD DVD and blu ray movies a week to to my HDD using anydvd hd. The whole process took 30 mins or so from start to finish.

Now that I have to use clone cd to make an iso image, it takes nearly 2 hours. Am I missing something?

ISO Images

I'm using ImgBurn to create the ISO images, but whenever I try to mount and use them, PowerDVD pops up a dialog saying that the 'Disc in drive E: has an unknown format'.

Everything appears to be OK until I select the drive in PowerDVD which is when the message appears. When I mount the ISO AnyDVD scans the disc and PowerDVD autoruns as it should. I can even explore the image and see the files.

Am I mising something when creating the ISO image?

I'm using ImgBurn 2.4.1.0 and Virtual Clone Drive 5.2.0.2 on Vista 32.

Last edited:
try using the virtual clone drive beta 5.3.x.x. there is a link to it in these forums...from what I have read think you need this to mount BD ISOs

This is a beta version for testing. It does not yet support 64-bit OS.

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupVirtualCloneDrive5300.exe

Changes:

Virtual CloneDrive 5.3.0.0: 2008 03 26
- New: Supports playback of HD-DVD & Blu-ray images in PowerDVD
- New: Increased performance, if image files are accessed over
the network
- New: Better support for Windows Vista (32-bit only)

Few questions...

Before cyberlink decided to lose the HDD playback ability, I was ripping a good 4-5 HD DVD and blu ray movies a week to to my HDD using anydvd hd. The whole process took 30 mins or so from start to finish.

Now that I have to use clone cd to make an iso image, it takes nearly 2 hours. Am I missing something?

Something definitely seems a bit off there. Give the latest version of ImgBurn a try and see if you get the same results. It shouldn't be taking 2 hours I don't think. I just ripped a 48 gig image and it took about an hour and a half but that's the longest I've ever seen.

I'm using ImgBurn to create the ISO images, but whenever I try to mount and use them, PowerDVD pops up a dialog saying that the 'Disc in drive E: has an unknown format'.

Everything appears to be OK until I select the drive in PowerDVD which is when the message appears. When I mount the ISO AnyDVD scans the disc and PowerDVD autoruns as it should. I can even explore the image and see the files.

Am I mising something when creating the ISO image?

Windsorr is correct. You need to be using the Virtual CloneDrive 5.3.0.0 beta for this to work correctly.

I was getting the same error with VCD 5.3.x.x.
I switched to Deamon Tools and it works now.

Sorry...idiot clarification question....

When using cloneCD to make an iso image...you just chose the read image option and manually change the *.dvd option in the box to *.iso?...

was looking around and could not find an answer to this most basic Question....

Many thanks....

Yes, that's correct. When it comes time to name the image, just give it a .iso extension and it'll switch to ISO mode vs DVD mode. DVD mode is misunderstood by most people, myself included until James cleared it up for me. It actually *IS* an ISO! It's just a split ISO with a control file (the .dvd file). The history of it goes back to the earlier days of backing up DVD's. Dual layer media was rare and very expensive back then. However, some people wanted 100% quality with no compromises. So compression was out of the question. Splitting the disc with CloneDVD was inconvenient, as well, because it breaks the movie up into two parts. Slysoft's answer to this was the .DVD format. The ISO is broken up into smaller chunks. This allows you to put it on a fat32 drive, for example. But it also allowed you to back the files up onto 2 SL DVD's. For those that had HTPC's for watching their DVD's this was awesome. You could copy all the files back to the hard drive from your backed up SL DVD's and mount a complete DVD with all the trimmings. Very kuel!! (Back then hard drive space wasn't cheap so keeping lots of 8 gig images on your hard drive wasn't entirely economical. Backing up to 2 SL discs was actually cheaper) So, there's a little history lesson as to why we have the .DVD images. You could combine all the pieces using the copy /b command into a single ISO and it'd work. :)

and about 2.5 hours is about the right rip time for a Blue Ray?
i have a dual core 2.66 with the LG drive running vista?

That seems rather high to me. The longest I've seen on my LG drive is an hour and a half and that was for a 48 gig image. How big was the image that took 2.5 hours to rip??

Back