• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD 50GB

By the way, I just want to say that this is one of the most helpful and friendly forums.
Thanks kufo and coopervid for all the help!

Just noticed the following 'interesting' note for my Lite-On DH12B2SH drive on the vendor's page:
(Quote): "NOTE - does not support for win8, win10."

Last edited:
Don't worry. The Win 8 or 10 comment is BS. No reason why the drive should not work with these operating systems. Mine is supposed to arrive on Saturday.

Don't worry. The Win 8 or 10 comment is BS. No reason why the drive should not work with these operating systems. Mine is supposed to arrive on Saturday.

Thanks. Right, I was not worried (hence called it 'interesting') since the note made no sense - I have NEVER heard of an optical drive NOT being compatible with a given recent Windows OS.

I called the note out because it was very odd and I wondered why they put it. Reflecting on it now, I wonder if they had that note for some other hardware item and copy-pasted part of the page form that item to this item and forgot to remove that content.
Anyway, not worried.

The enclosure arrives Friday even with free shipping; glad I did not pay extra for expedited shipping, especially since the Lite-On drive may not get to me till Monday though. I am waiting for the drive tracking to be updated when it actually gets shipped... The wait starts...

Don't worry. The Win 8 or 10 comment is BS. No reason why the drive should not work with these operating systems.
Most programms can be starte in "compatible mode" if they were created for older operating systems. I had to use this with some old printer tools that were only supported up to Win 7. Really no need to worry.

Most programms can be starte in "compatible mode" if they were created for older operating systems. I had to use this with some old printer tools that were only supported up to Win 7. Really no need to worry.

Exactly.
Speaking of that, you know what, maybe they meant software does not work with Win 8 or Win 10 and not the drive itself.
Even then, that would also be an odd note on their part - I never thought of the note being about software, since it is a bare drive (NO software included). In any case, I use dedicated burning software (ImgBurn) which I am sure will work great and hence one more reason why I did not care much about the note.

Glad I could help you a little bit :)

Now, you're being modest, lol.
For instance, the feedback Coopervid and you shared on the forum about Pioneer burners and the Verbatim JP 4x media helped a lot! And also the 'trick' for the Mercury Pro case was helpful, especially the second tip about using a screw driver (much better than pliers in fact for that 'project').
I used to have a Pioneer DVD burner years ago, among MANY other CD and DVD burners over the years. Unfortunately I sold or got rid of most of them when I got new ones / they became outdated etc. and when I moved to using laptops.

Just opened one of my Verbatim 'Hard Coat' discs (not the Japan ones).
MID: VERBAT-IMf-000
Have to read up on that media ID...

Will burn at 4X when I get a chance.

I guess we will have to wait until the Liteon arrives. I have some no-name dics that use also that media code. You can't trust it. Some companies just fake it or sell discs that don't fulfill the quality standard of their customer and then they end up as grade B or C as no-name- have them been sold as Verbatim discs?

I guess we will have to wait until the Liteon arrives. I have some no-name dics that use also that media code. You can't trust it. Some companies just fake it or sell discs that don't fulfill the quality standard of their customer and then they end up as grade B or C as no-name- have them been sold as Verbatim discs?

Thanks. I bought the actual Verbatim brand, not one of the other brands using the same MID.
This is the item (10 pack of Hard Coat 50GB discs):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CJ9KYC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Verbatim burn completed successfully on the BDR-212 at 4x in about 43 minutes (UHD backup of my current favorite original Steelbook). Plays great on my home UHD BD player, like the Philips discs burned on my LG BU40N 1.00.

Speaking of lower quality discs using the same MID, I know first hand that to be the case - the HP which I tried (only bought 1 pack of 10 discs since they had lower reviews than the Philips) did not work well (on my LG at least); they use the same exact Verbatim MID.

As mentioned in an earlier post:
  • HP 50GB 6x discs (Verbatim MID): The first 2 (or 3) discs were fine, but 3 or 4 of the next 4 or 5 had burning issues...
  • Philips 50GB 6X discs (CMC MID): I am 8 for 8 (100% success rate burning and playing in my home BD player), even burned at 6X on the LG! But I can't wait to run quality scans on those now and again in 6 months to see how well they will do in the LONG RUN.
  • Verbatim Hard Coat - too early to tell - 1 for 1 success rate so far...

Too bad the M-DISC 50GB are so expensive almost 3x as much as 25GB ones. If the 50 GB M-DISC media were closer to $3 each (instead of almost $6 each in bulk), I would get those, although I guess it is a bit late for that now anyway since I have enough blank 50GB BD-R DL left (Philips, Verbatim Hard Coat and Verbatim Japan) to burn for a long time...
Maybe I can keep my current backups for now and then copy them to M-DISC once 50GB M-DISC, hopefully, prices drop in the next year.

If you make a commercial assessment you should just backup to redundant hard drives and not to M disc. Especially considering the critical layer break issue 50 GB discs show for regular discs. Most likely also an issue with M-discs.

If you make a commercial assessment you should just backup to redundant hard drives and not to M disc. Especially considering the critical layer break issue 50 GB discs show for regular discs. Most likely also an issue with M-discs.

Thanks, I have been considering hard drive backups in addition to discs and will almost certainly do that, knowing myself.
I just like having and playing the discs (old fashioned that way lol even though I have a Plex Server which I do use as well).

Last edited:
Understand. kufo as well. I switched to a M9702 Oppo clone media player (use search...) and backup to hard disk only most of the times.

The LiteOn is supposed to arrive tomorrow but I will not have time on the weekend to test.

However, I will do 2x, 4x, 6x (if possible) 50GB Japanese Verbatims with the Pioneer, the ASUS (LG) and also the LiteOn first.
Then some no-name discs with a Verbatim media code.

Somewhen later then also BD25 comparisons but these are much less critical and of much lower priority.

The LiteOn is supposed to arrive tomorrow but I will not have time on the weekend to test.

However, I will do 2x, 4x, 6x (if possible) 50GB Japanese Verbatims with the Pioneer, the ASUS (LG) and also the LiteOn first.
Then some no-name discs with a Verbatim media code.

Somewhen later then also BD25 comparisons but these are much less critical and of much lower priority.

Great, thanks! Looking forward to the outcome.

My 2nd OWC Mercury Pro (for Lite-On) arrived today (even with free shipping). The Lite-On arrives should arrive tomorrow, probably in the morning... Will try to run some disc quality tests over the weekend.

For the tests I suggest:

Use always the same ISO file. Approx. 45GB for the BD50, 23GB for the BD25.
Always use Imgburn.

Always use Imgburn.
I think @ njweb mentioned that some posts before. Problems during playback of UHD backups ore mostly seen in scenes with high bitrates and the layer break. I can tell that cheap blanks have much more problems with this. A good exampample for testing is the opening scene in Rambo 1.

Thanks guys. Had a busy day, so did not get a chance to do anything. My Lite-On BD drive arrived, so I will mount it in the case and try some quality tests this weekend.

Yes, I always use ImgBurn for burning; usually 4x now (was burning at 6x, which was fine with the Philips discs, but to be safe switched to 4x for now).

I will burn to one of the Verbatim Japan discs later this afternoon (in about an hour).

Well, I did not get the same media ID as you guys for the Verbatim JP 4x discs (I got the 20 pack - see link below -same look, same wrapping / labeling as the 50 pack but different MID, unless even the 50 pack is no longer the MID you posted).
Just opened the spindle and mine are: MID: VERBAT-IMf-000
:(
Guess these are perhaps not considered as good as the ones you guys use?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056DURHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back