• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD 50GB

Will wait for Elby to fix it.
Will have to test it here. If there really is a bug in Elby ISO creating it must be very special circumstances to cause this. Otherwise many CBD users would have had trouble with it. Don't you think so? Perhaps you can compare the mounted ISO file with your folder output. This testing can be done much later because there is no strictly need to create ISO for you in this case.

Last edited:
Ideally the burn quality should be checked with a drive that supports the functionality in OptiDrive. The manual from 2012 says this.

Testing BD media currently only works with the LiteOn DH-4O1S , iHES106
and iHES208 and other BD drives with a Mediatek chipset.

But it seems to be a waste of money and time these days to find such an old drive for the only purpose of testing burn quality.

Thanks, I figure I can use it to compare the quality of two different media, so I know which one might be better long term. I can also use it to track BDR-DL 50GB blank media deterioration over a period of time (e.g. after 6 months, 1 year, 2 year, 3 years), so I know which ones I may have to worry about.

Would the LiteOn DH12B2SH work for quality scanning with OptiDrive Control?

Should work. See here. Google is your friend....

https://club.myce.com/t/liteon-dh-12b2sh/310978/106

Thanks!
I had found that thread (and some others) but did not see anything about the drive being supported in that particular post, but another post (same thread) seems to allude to it getting stuck, although something is then said about a workaround, which I found a working link to (see below) - other link to the same workaound was no longer valid (404 error).

I found this online elsewhere that confirms it:
Quote from the reviewer - tao_101Feb 28, 2017: "One of the last drives supporting BD quality scans
I am still in the process of testing, but so far my DH12B2SH is working great. Lite-On is one of the few companies whose drives are supported by off-the-shelf error scanning software. Unfortunately in 2017, Lite-On Blu-Ray drives are very hard to find."

From another clubmyce thread:
Workaround for iHBS112-04 Opti drive control quality scan problem
CD, DVD and (Ultra HD) Blu-ray Writers

Dec 2011

12 / 14
May 2013

Feb 2017

45.png
kthMyCE Rookie
Dec '11
For people having problems with getting their LiteOn iHBS112-04 to do disc quality scans using Opti Drive Control please try the work around that I’ve listed below.

Symptom: When you click start the scan starts up and stops at 6mb.

1. Start “Disc Quality Scan”.
  2. Wait until “Spin Up Drive” speed reaches 100%
  3. Once “Spin Up Drive” speed reaches 100%, click on “Speed” and select any speed. This should get the scan going.
I hope this helps. slight_smile.png

232347d1323647574-liteon-ihbs112-212-12x-bd-rw-disc_quality-2.png

• 9 MONTHS LATER
    657145_2.png
    m_ghrimidaNew Member
    Aug '12
    I am still having problem with a message ( unable to read disc label ) it’s driving me crazy

2438_2.jpg
    vroomAdministrator and Reviewer
    Aug '12
    New version of ODC new bugs, one solution that i have found is to insert the disc before you run ODC let windows do the reading and then start ODC, if all goes well you should see it only one.

657145_2.png
    5317_2.jpg
    deanwittyMyCE Resident
    Aug '12
    m_ghrimida;2651842 said:
    I am still having problem with a message ( unable to read disc label ) it’s driving me crazy

I had the same problem. You can also click on “File” in the menu bar, then “options”, and uncheck “Read disc label automatically”. This worked for me.

BDR-212 update: Burned my first 50GB disc at 4x with the BDR-212 with the 6x Philips media using ImgBurn. The disc works fine (like the discs burned with the LG BU40N).
Bought a brand new Lite-On DH12B2SH online for quality scans to compare the discs created by these two burners - BDR-212 vs LG BU40N... And to compare the 3 50GB brand I have - Philips vs. Verbatim JP 4x vs. Verbatim 'Hard Coat'

BDR-212 update: Burned my first 50GB disc at 4x with the BDR-212 with the 6x Philips media using ImgBurn. The disc works fine (like the discs burned with the LG BU40N).
Bought a brand new Lite-On DH12B2SH online for quality scans to compare the discs created by these two burners - BDR-212 vs LG BU40N... And to compare the 3 50GB brand I have - Philips vs. Verbatim JP 4x vs. Verbatim 'Hard Coat'
You are our hero! Very keen to see your scan results. How much did you pay for your scan service (the drive - your time is invaluable ;))?

You are our hero! Very keen to see your scan results. How much did you pay for your scan service (the drive - your time is invaluable ;))?

:) Indeed, my time is invaluable. I would hate for my BD-Rs to be useless prematurely. I know BD-R, DL especially, have a limited lifespan as it is.
So I at least want to maximize that by using the best burner + 50GB media combo I can (not including 50GB M-DISCs which cost over $6 a pop still).
I may keep extra backups on a HDD so that I can always burn them again if need be without re-doing the encoding which takes time.

Back to the actual question: I paid $59.99 + tax (free shipping) for the LiteOn.
I noticed the drive is up $10 from a month ago (was $49.99). Seems they raised it since they had sold 84 out of 86 when I checked, so they figured they could get $10 more for the last 2... They now have 1 left...

At least it was brand new and not used (who knows how many scans people have already done on used ones...)

Last edited:
OK. I think that's still a good deal. And now you have another parameter: Discs burned with LiteOn vs. LG vs. Pioneer.

Since I found out that burning 2x with my Pioneer works fine there was no need for me to do further testing. Burned UHD files with high bit rate may be problematic in playback. Depending on the grade of your blanks 70 mbit /s may be the max. Output bit rate is shown above the output size in CloneBD.

Since I found out that burning 2x with my Pioneer works fine there was no need for me to do further testing. Burned UHD files with high bit rate may be problematic in playback. Depending on the grade of your blanks 70 mbit /s may be the max. Output bit rate is shown above the output size in CloneBD.
Still. I find this really great that @njweb can then make objective judgements compared to our subjective and empiric judgements.

The discs work now with both my LG and Pioneer, but I have read stories of BD-R (DL) discs developing quality issues when scanned after 6 months (either due to burner used, media used or both).
By scanning them, I can really tell which ones burn best initially and, by scanning again in 6 month and 1 year e.g, I can also tell which ones will last longest based on updated scan results and how much worse the scan is the second time.

The discs work now with both my LG and Pioneer, but I have read stories of BD-R (DL) discs developing quality issues when scanned after 6 months (either due to burner used, media used or both).
By scanning them, I can really tell which ones burn best initially and, by scanning again in 6 month and 1 year e.g, I can also tell which ones will last longest based on updated scan results and how much worse the scan is the second time.
You are absolutely on the right track with your assumptions / concerns! :D

I'm thinking about to get a LiteOn as well. Not decided yet since I rarely burn discs anymore. It's just out of curiosity.

That would be good / interesting - we can compare results, especially if your burner and / or your media is different from mine. Which burner do you use?

PS: Hopefully the LiteOn drive and OWC Mercury Pro enclosure will arrive at the same time - bought a 2nd enclosure since I like the first one so much. Also this one will be much easier and quicker to install since the LiteOn drive is shorter than the Pioneer drive... :)

We will see. Tonight I can't buy. Paypal wants confirmation by phone or text. And my wife's phone number is on record and she is asleep :whistle:

We will see. Tonight I can't buy. Paypal wants confirmation by phone or text. And my wife's phone number is on record and she is asleep :whistle:

Tomorrow is another day. Keep us posted. Which model are you considering getting?

Normal BD ISO did work for me on both drives too. The problem only appeared on UHD backups. Burning itself was fine the whole film even with UHD shrinked backups. Only the layer break was the problem.
Also this one will be much easier and quicker to install since the LiteOn drive is shorter than the Pioneer drive... :)
If it is a bit shorter it will really fit better. :)

Back