• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

BD 50GB

I recently got some Media Range blanks with this code (VERBAT-IMf-000) Had bad results in playback with UHD media.:(
Produced 10 beermats from a 25 spindle :eek:
I wish you luck (y)

Edit - GOOD NEWS...
I removed the note about issues with Opti Drive Control (v 1.8) that gave the 2 errors 'can't read drive label' and 'no suitable disc inserted'.

There seems to simply be a bug in Opti Drive Control 1.8 with reading disc labels (my disc is UDF 2.60 burned with ImgBurn)- I disabled 'read disc label automatically' in Opti Drive Control 1.8 settings and now the quality scan is running on the Lite-On... :)

Last edited:
Well, running a 'disc quality' scan with the Philips 50 GB disc (burned at 4X in the BDR-212) and the results do not look good so far (especially from the 7GB to the 24GB mark) - it's at 85% or so (scanning speed is set to 4x; maybe I need to lower the scan speed even further?).

I will then run the scan with a Verbatim Japan disc which I burned today (also burned at 4X) and post both scans here...

Glad coopervid got the same Lite-On drive I did, so we can compare results, especially since I have read that different drives can have very different quality scan results with the exact same disc...

I have read that different drives can have very different quality scan results with the exact same disc...
That's a bad thing. So you can't get sure results concerning to a special type of blanks. I'm really looking forward what coopervid will find out about this.

I have bad news regarding disc quality scanning. The LiteOn works but disc quality scanning with OptiDrive Control is a bitch. I guess it's just luck if this works with your SATA setup.

SATA-> USB3 adapter on my main computer on USB3. Works but speed is 0.01x. 200MB in 80 minutes.
Same adapter on USB2 input. Doesn't work.
SATA->USB2 adapter. Doesn't work.
Drive on INTEL SATA in my wife's computer. Doesn't work.
Drive on VIA SATA in my main computer. Doesn't work.
Drive on INTEL SATA in my main computer. Speed is 0.01x. Same as with SATA-> USB3 on USB3.

SATA-> USB3 adapter on my main computer on USB3. Works but speed is 0.01x. 200MB in 80 minutes.
Same adapter on USB2 input.
No chance to get 46,6 GB tested sensibly. It would last about 2 days.
I think I will stay with my settings of burning 2x on Japan blanks.
Thanks for clarification here @coopervid

That's a bad thing. So you can't get sure results concerning to a special type of blanks. I'm really looking forward what coopervid will find out about this.

Yes; unfortunately that appears to be the challenge - knowing how accurate the 'disc quality' results are with a given reader (drive).
My 8 or so Philips discs (burned so far) all load and play fine on my home Blu Ray player; so does the Verbatim Japan 4x disc.
My only concern is longevity.

Too bad 50GB M-Discs are still almost $6 per disc in quantity, vs. $1.40 - $2.20 per 50GB disc for the non-M discs.

I have bad news regarding disc quality scanning. The LiteOn works but disc quality scanning with OptiDrive Control is a bitch. I guess it's just luck if this works with your SATA setup.

Same adapter on USB2 input. Doesn't work.
SATA->USB2 adapter. Doesn't work.
Drive on INTEL SATA in my wife's computer. Doesn't work.
Drive on VIA SATA in my main computer. Doesn't work.
Drive on INTEL SATA in my main computer. Speed is 0.01x. Same as with SATA-> USB3 on USB3.

Opti Drive Control is not stable (not sure if it is the drive or the software or a bit of both). I sometimes have to shut it down and start over for it to recognize the disc and / or drive.
I did find a very helpful tidbit in an old CACHED thread (for some reason the original thread was removed from clubmyce; luckily google came to the rescue with the cached version of the page:
https://club.myce.com/t/workaround-for-ihbs112-04-opti-drive-control-quality-scan-problem/298434 (search for this thread in google and then click on 'cached'). The URL does not work if you try to access it directly, since that thread has been removed for some reason.

Courtesy of clubmyce member kth:

kthFebruary 14, 2017, 5:41am#1
For people having problems with getting their LiteOn iHBS112-04 to do disc quality scans using Opti Drive Control please try the work around that I’ve listed below.

Symptom: When you click start the scan starts up and stops at 6mb.

1. Start “Disc Quality Scan”.
  2. Wait until “Spin Up Drive” speed reaches 100%
  3. Once “Spin Up Drive” speed reaches 100%, click on “Speed” and select any speed. This should get the scan going.
I hope this helps. slight_smile.png

The above trick worked for me along with another key step, which I figured out on my own after seeing the option mentioned in Opti Drive Control manual / guide, which is to disable this setting in ODC options / settings - 'read disc label automatically'.

PS: Just saw how slow yours is.
On the older but more powerful of my 2 main computers (2017 vs 2020), the disc quality test using Opti Drive Control (ODC) took between just under an hour (57:40) and 1 hour 16 minutes (76:18) for two ~43GB disc created by CloneBD which I tested.
My computer uses an 'Intel Chipset SATA RAID controller'.

Last edited:
No chance to get 46,6 GB tested sensibly. It would last about 2 days.
I think I will stay with my settings of burning 2x on Japan blanks.
Thanks for clarification here @coopervid

By the way, out of curiosity, how old is your oldest DL (50GB) disc that still works reliably?

Dahhhh.... What a fu..ing bug! The speed has to be changed in the upper part of the OptiDrive Control window, not at the lower part for the disc scan option. Now it's running....This is unbelievable...But it works :):):):):):):)

I will now put it out of my PC and try to run it with the SATA -> USB3 adapter as soon as it's finished since I want to keep only the ASUS for ripping UHDs and the Pioneer for burning in the case. I guess the same trick will work as well then. I will let you know guys.

By the way, out of curiosity, how old is your oldest DL (50GB) disc that still works reliably?
That is quite a "wrong" question since we all burned the 50GB discs first with the LG / ASUS drives and those burns were critically / bad from the beginning. It will take some time since kufo started first with burning using the Pioneer but I just hope that he can track back when he changed that.

Tomorrow I will burn 2x 50GB discs at 2x with the ASUS and the Pioneer and will provide scans to compare later on.

I would still keep a copy on hard disc. That's what I do now even if I burn discs.

Last edited:
This bug is so stupid. I'm still struggling with the idea that Eric left it at this. So sloppy and no fixes. I'm still stunned.

I recently got some Media Range blanks with this code (VERBAT-IMf-000) Had bad results in playback with UHD media.:(
Produced 10 beermats from a 25 spindle :eek:
I wish you luck (y)

Thanks.
That media ID (MID) is being shared between a number of different brands / discs.
For example, the HP 50GB discs with this same MID, as I noted, 4 or 5 bad burns out of 7 or 8 HP discs so far. I only burned these HP with the LG so far (sticking to Philips and the Verbatim JP media for now). Note - The Philips with CMC ID burned on the same LG BU40N burner were all perfect 8 out of 8 success rate and all play great in my home BD player).

Good news, as reported, my first burn at 4X in the BDR-212 with the Verbatim JP with this MID was perfect - tested in one of my 2 home BD players and worked fine.
I may test one burn with this media on the LG BU40N 1.00 firmware as well just out of curiosity).

Tomorrow I will burn 2x 50GB discs at 2x with the ASUS and the Pioneer and will provide scans to compare later on.

I would still keep a copy on hard disc. That's what I do now even if I burn discs.

Looking forward to the results!

Thanks.
That media ID (MID) is being shared between a number of different brands / discs.
For example, the HP 50GB discs with this same MID, as I noted, 4 or 5 bad burns out of 7 or 8 HP discs so far. I only burned these HP with the LG so far (sticking to Philips and the Verbatim JP media for now). Note - The Philips with CMC ID burned on the same LG BU40N burner were all perfect 8 out of 8 success rate and all play great in my home BD player).
Did you only burn UHD films on these blanks? Cloning BD to BD 50 behaves differently when burning and never causes problems.
I can confirm my results for at least the last 15 months. Always the same media code and everything burned to Pioneer at 2x speed. Whether the 206 or the 212 does not matter. Films are still running perfectly.

Back