• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any info on a 4K Blu-ray solution?

But wouldn't AnyDVD need to be updated first for the PC to recognize the UHD disc?
If anyone remember, what happened when you first inserted a 1080p blu-ray into a PC drive before AnyDVD HD was released? Did it recognize the disc?

That's precisely what this topic is about. Anydvd will likely need to be updated to support the new AACS 2.0 encryption. The last few pages were wondering if the PC drives would natively see them. What first happened? It worked just fine.

But wouldn't AnyDVD need to be updated first for the PC to recognize the UHD disc?
If anyone remember, what happened when you first inserted a 1080p blu-ray into a PC drive before AnyDVD HD was released? Did it recognize the disc?
Blu-ray discs worked fine in Blu-ray drives before AnyDVD HD came along, back before AnyDVD HD we had to get our own decryption keys and remove the encryption manually. This is different as the drives don't support AACS 2.0 yet

This is different as the drives don't support AACS 2.0 yet

Care to post the proof to that? As one of the questions in this topic is if bd-xl capable burners are able read/decrypt them and not just burn them.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Yes I think that there could well be a "Public available Hardware" problem this time (PC Drives).

Not saying that this IS the case but could be. There will be other hurdles of course this time round as well.

I would not build a 4K disk Library that's for sure.

Will 4K BD sell? (don't judge that by what people on here would do, we are not exactly the public at large)

4K is an "in-between format". There are many reasons for adopting 8K not 4K as the standard for UHD media and is already well on the horizon, will 4K disks be around for long.

4K TV's of course are fine and will display 8K input very very nicely.

Just my opinion of course, only time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently, Cyberlink have confirmed that they are working on UHD blu-ray support so the question now is, will existing drives get a firmware update or do we get new drives?
I guess time will tell..

Will 4K BD sell? (don't judge that by what people on here would do, we are not exactly the public at large)
IMHO no, it won't. It will be a niche market like DVD-Audio or SACD.

WP_20160211_12_45_25_Rich_LI.jpg

Not too sure how long it will be around but I would have thought that with poor 4K BD sales and it being an "in-between" format anyway I wouldn't think "Years"
As for DVD and Blu Ray, just out of interest I did check a little while ago and UK DVD 85%, Blu Ray 15%
Says that General Public are apathetic re Definition and Audio in the most part.

I only have a 1080 monitor, but I do have a WH16NS40, which also can do BDXL. No purpose in me buying a 4K disc unless you all want me to test with it.
Just in case you or others missed this over at AVS, doesn't look like it will work, the drive just sits there trying to read the disc. He's also running W10, so that may have something to do with it, but unlikely since I have one machine running W10 with a Blu-ray reader and it sees the disc.
Maybe a firmware update to the drive will fix it _ who knows. The last update for the LG drives was from 2014

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...c-bdxl-drive-test-request-2.html#post41452785

Here we go.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...c-bdxl-drive-test-request-3.html#post41583457

And a message I received back from LG.

"Thank you for contacting LG Home Entertainment Email Services!
As of now, we don’t have news yet for firmware update or optical disc drive that includes AACS 2.0 enabled. I will pass this email of yours to our IT Department and will ask any information that is related to this issue. I will notify you through email as soon as we get a reply."

The odd thing is that the other poster with the same model number, wouldn't even read the disc ???
Maybe that has something to do with W10.

EDIT:
James; does the drive have to be AACS 2.0 enabled for Windows to see the disc as well as the files or is that only for playback ?
The guy over at AVS says the title of the movie shows up in Windows with this drive with a date of October 2015.

http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-WH16NS40-internal-blu-ray-dvd-drive

EDIT:
So it would seem that the drive does indeed work, or so it appears, the guy over at AVS reports that he can see the files on the disc, with AACS being at the top of course.

The drive appears to be manufactured in October 2015.

Last edited:
EDIT:
James; does the drive have to be AACS 2.0 enabled for Windows to see the disc as well as the files or is that only for playback ?
The guy over at AVS says the title of the movie shows up in Windows with this drive with a date of October 2015.

http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-WH16NS40-internal-blu-ray-dvd-drive

EDIT:
So it would seem that the drive does indeed work, or so it appears, the guy over at AVS reports that he can see the files on the disc, with AACS being at the top of course.

The drive appears to be manufactured in October 2015.

Interesting. I have 2 of those drives that I purchased in 2014.

I'm a cynic but my view on 4K is pretty simple.

IMHO, 8K is still not realistic for a host of reasons. For streaming, IMHO, it still consumes too much bandwidth even using h265 and it would create issues from an infrastructure perspective if it was widespread. Especially in the US which lags behind many countries in terms of speed and being over-priced. And, the infrastructure just sucks for the most part. I'm still waiting for more widespread 4K streaming and seeing the **** hit the fan when it can't be handled. With respect to 8K on disc while h265 does reduce data size a move to even 4K is so much more resolution. From my perspective 8K will wait until the next generation of media which is much more advanced, etc. New laser technology, etc, or whatever they move on to from laser. That's if we even still are able to buy content on physical media and definitely there will be much newer and more complex protection mechanisms.

The move to 4K is a stop-gap measure. It's expensive enough at it is. 8K is just ridiculous. Enough people will buy into 4K, however, and it's a money-grab. People need to buy a UHD TV to make use, a new UHD standalone player, new UHD discs, etc. Money money money. Lastly, and more importantly, however, a new format with new specs is an excuse to throw in new methods of protection. If they suddenly amended the Blu-Ray spec and added a new profile with AACS 2.0, among other things, and people had to buy a new Blu-Ray player just to watch a new Blu-Ray release there would be too much of a backlash. This is a way to slip the new protections into the mix while also saying, "But look at the resolution! Look at the better compression! It's 10-bit instead of 8-bit! It's mindblowing! Try it. You'll like it!"

I take everything you say on board. Yes it has always been an attempt to plug the AACS 1 compromise as was BD+.

I have seen 4K in action and its of course fine. BUT at say 50" it is so small an increase and at normal viewing distances at that size screen is not really worth it.

As for for 10bit per primary (30/32 bit colour) this is better but the only time you really notice this is on luminance gradients, i.e. less step effect (256 vs 1024).

At media shows you are hard pressed to see 4K, its all 8K.

Also, steaming 4K downscaled from 8K is much better than 4K native.

Compression systems are evolving, there is of course a limit.

I take everything you say on board. Yes it has always been an attempt to plug the AACS 1 compromise as was BD+.

I have seen 4K in action and its of course fine. BUT at say 50" it is so small an increase and at normal viewing distances at that size screen is not really worth it.

As for for 10bit per primary (30/32 bit colour) this is better but the only time you really notice this is on luminance gradients, i.e. less step effect (256 vs 1024).

At media shows you are hard pressed to see 4K, its all 8K.

Also, steaming 4K downscaled from 8K is much better than 4K native.

Compression systems are evolving, there is of course a limit.

Part of the bigger deal with newer advancements is the ability to shoot in 4K or higher and then edit it without having to downscale first and then re-upscale to 4K. The final product should be better. That comes down to technical advancements. It's theoretically possible the next move could involve a better compression method than h265. It really depends on how long 4K lasts.

With respect to the 4K vs standard HD, I can very quickly see the difference on any decent 40" UHD capable display or larger. The image pops more and looks more three dimensional to my brain. Part of that is the resolution and part is those extra bits. Frankly, it looks too real to be real. It's hyperreal. Impressive nonetheless.

Am I ready to move to 4K? No. Have no reason for a 4K UDHTV right now, won't pay for UHD broadcast TV, etc. etc. And my two Oppo Blu-Ray players are doing beautiful at what they do. When 2K UHD has been around awhile and prices drop and I really do need a new TV, anyway, then I probably will. I doubt I'll have a choice to by anything less than 4K at that point.

More importantly, before I make any kind of commitment I want to see 4K fully analyzed and handled by software.

Back