• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any info on a 4K Blu-ray solution?

Yes I agree you CAN see a difference, but its not that great at the 50" and below.

At 65" HD TV and above I can see the pixel matrix at normal viewing distance and is very annoying so 4K TV is great.

4K TV im fine with, ill wait for 8K for media physical or otherwise. Large display types will have come down in price and will be more the norm.

I think DVDs still outsell Blu-rays. Unless something changes, 4K Blu-ray will be a very niche product for years to come.
Yes they do. But total disc sales are declining. DIsc sales peaked years ago and while streaming continues to grow. UHD BD will be a niche product, just like 3D BD titles are. Unfortunately that is what I'm mostly buying now. UHD BDs and 3D BDs.

With respect to the 4K vs standard HD, I can very quickly see the difference on any decent 40" UHD capable display or larger. The image pops more and looks more three dimensional to my brain. Part of that is the resolution and part is those extra bits. Frankly, it looks too real to be real. It's hyperreal. Impressive nonetheless.

You must be sitting VERY close to the TV to see the difference. The human eye is very limited (quite amazing, but still very limited compared to cameras and other human created video devices). To see the difference between 1080 and 4k on a 40in TV, you need to be 2 feet from the screen or closer. That is the distance to your eyes, not your knees (ie, not the front of the chair or couch). There is an excellent calculator found at the bottom of this page:

http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

Before you decry the distances a bunk, they were verified by both Sony and THX. Both of those companies are considered authoritative in this field. My screen is 106 inches and I would have to be sitting within 7 feet of it to notice the difference over 1080.

Most likely the screen you viewed was not calibrated properly, which explains your description of the image not looking natural. Your mind then told you it must be better since it is 4K. Not blasting you for it, it is simply how humans work and the advertisement industry knows how we work all too well.

There are differences in 4K vs 1080p that go beyond mere resolution. The distance does matter, yes. However, things like HDR also matter. A lot. Don't discount those improvements.

I'm personally attempting to wait for 8K as I think it has improvements, again, beyond mere resolution. Everyone focuses on the res and forgets the other benefits to newer standards.

Yes we seemed to take a step back in some ways from DVD to Blu Ray.

MPEG2 used for DVD could be up to 12 bit DR (4096 levels per Primary) making Blu Ray look a bit sick in that respect.

I can confirm my LG WH16NS40 (pre Oct 2015) does not read 'Sicario' 4k UHD BD.

I might try and and source the new revision - Anybody know if Amazon are shipping the newer drive?

@Jeff R 1 did you manage to get hold of the newer drive?

I own 22 of the new UltraHD Blu-ray's and can say unequivocally that the improvement they have over standard Blu-ray lies in the increased color depth and dynamic range afforded by HDR10. The resolution increase is nothing special (even at 110"), but HDR elevates it to a completely difference experience. I can't wait to get more and would love to see RedFox tackle UHD BD.

I can confirm my LG WH16NS40 (pre Oct 2015) does not read 'Sicario' 4k UHD BD.

I might try and and source the new revision - Anybody know if Amazon are shipping the newer drive?

@Jeff R 1 did you manage to get hold of the newer drive?

It's still in Kentucky and it's not supposed to get to me until March16. :rolleyes:
It may even take longer, it'll get to the boarder and because it's metal and looks suspicious in their X-ray machine, it will be pulled and inspected no doubt. o_O

Last edited:
It's still in Kentucky and it's not supposed to get to me until March16. :rolleyes:
It may even take longer, it'll get to the boarder and because it's metal and looks suspicious in their X-ray machine, it will be pulled and inspected no doubt. o_O
Are blank and re-writeable discs available for this format?

Standard blanks yes but those are still $$$ because they're relatively new. Erasable, havent seen any yet.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Standard blanks yes but those are still $$$ because they're relatively new. Erasable, havent seen any yet.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk
Thanks Ch3vr0n; I think Redfox have enough on their plate to be pestered with progress inquiries about this format. I would prefer to see Cinavia and CloneBD finalised before it embarks on what appears to be a very expensive project.

Thanks Ch3vr0n; I think Redfox have enough on their plate to be pestered with progress inquiries about this format. I would prefer to see Cinavia and CloneBD finalised before it embarks on what appears to be a very expensive project.
CloneBD is handled by Elby, so it's not unreasonable to ask about the ex-Slysoft staff cracking AACS 2.0 as it should be handled by different people to the ones who are handling CloneBD

Fake 4K bluray?? Are the disks even over 50GB?
Sounds very strange so far.

According to myce comments, the source isn't even 48gb. Just because they cam it with a 4k cam, doesn't make it a 4k movie.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

What about the disks that Amazon is selling? Are they fake too?

If they are talking about capturing a Netflix stream, they don't even do 720p that well and it's not likely they would have the bandwidth for 2160.

Looking forward to the dev's getting hands on with the real ones (if they exist yet) :).

Edit: Read the first link about the "..Troll.." group claiming to "crack" uhd version of Martian. No credibility since the decoded content is less than 50GB and uses the X264 decoder.

Last edited:
The martian isn't mastered in 4k,that and there's multiple other comments specifying why its a fake. However THIS article is interesting https://torrentfreak.com/stripping-4k-content-protection-is-fair-use-court-hears-160308/
For The Martian they used some upsampled 2K footage and some 5K Raw footage, then did the HDR grading at 4K, so it's a hybrid with some upsampled and some downsampled to 4K. It looks a hell of a lot nicer in 4K than the standard Blu-ray version watched side by side. Unlike other movies they didn't just take the cinema print and put that straight onto the disc it's been remastered and re-graded for the UHD disc

For The Martian they used some upsampled 2K footage and some 5K Raw footage, then did the HDR grading at 4K, so it's a hybrid with some upsampled and some downsampled to 4K. It looks a hell of a lot nicer in 4K than the standard Blu-ray version watched side by side. Unlike other movies they didn't just take the cinema print and put that straight onto the disc it's been remastered and re-graded for the UHD disc
So it sounds like you are talking about an original retail disk? :)
Big question is if AnyDVDHD can do that yet?

Back