• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ReClock 1.8.6.4

I don't know. I rip with anydvd and encode using BDrebuilder and subs are always there. I have ffdshow and DirectVobsub installed. In Zoomplayer DVS is in the taskbar but does not open with MPC-HC. Either way I can't get any subs forced or otherwise from both.

the image is from MPC-HC setup. I don't know id I have a HW accelerated D 3D video card.

In MPC-HC, try add VSFilter under External Filters, or make sure auto-load subtitles is ticked under Playback in Options.

It works in TMT3 because it detects the PAP and doesn't downsample in that case. PDVD7 doesn't know PAP from a hole in the wall and will ALWAYS downsample. So, to get any benefit you'd need a 5xxx card AND TMT3.

And Windows 7 I assume?

so if I understand this right if I get a 5xxx card full resolution will get handed down to the analogs with TMT3

so if I understand this right if I get a 5xxx card full resolution will get handed down to the analogs with TMT3

That seems to be the working theory, yes. :) Now, if this will continue to work in the future or not....good question.

James, there's something that's still not clear to me (besides the "designed to be confusing" message of 24fps adaptation on 23.976 displays). What is ReClock actually doing when bitstreaming audio? It's not resampling, and it's not doing VSync. I know it's correcting the "system clock" but what does that actually mean? Is it that it's correcting framerate of the content?

809985643_5vvrC-O.png

Last edited:
Read the "s/pdif" info in the readme. HD Audio when bitstreamed is the same.

Reclock acts like just like it normally does, except it cannot resample the audio, so if Reclock's adaptation requires any speedup or slowdown at all (even 23.976fps@24Hz) audio will drift out of sync until the threshold defined, then audio packets will be dropped/repeated to bring back to sync.

If rates are very very close then the odd, very occasional, individual packet is dropped/repeated and it can be "inaudible", but any significant difference will result in very audible distortion.

When bitstreaming it is necessary to get VERY close to matching rates. A few of us used to spend far too long trying to achieve accuracy beyond 3 decimal places. I'm glad I am now using PCM over HDMI!

OK I'm gonna guess that my framerate is not being changed to 24.000 cause James said not to worry about that message. Without ReClock, I don't have any dropped/repeat frames nor audio sync problems. With it, I'll have to test again.

I knew that audio was not being changed, what I was wondering is what exactly does "system clock correction" does for the video. It's clearly correcting something. If I'm not having any trouble with it not correcting anything (no ReClock) then I wonder what the correction does.

OK I'm gonna guess that my framerate is not being changed to 24.000 cause James said not to worry about that message. Without ReClock, I don't have any dropped/repeat frames nor audio sync problems. With it, I'll have to test again.

I knew that audio was not being changed, what I was wondering is what exactly does "system clock correction" does for the video. It's clearly correcting something. If I'm not having any trouble with it not correcting anything (no ReClock) then I wonder what the correction does.
You can either say "what you don't hear won't hurt you", or, as we are talking about HD bitstreaming, which is all about perfection, turn on logging, play a whole movie and look for drop/repeat entries in the log. Then you can decide if you think bitstreaming is better than decoding to PCM.

Sorry if you know all this already but, to see what system clock correction is all about, read the first few pages of the readme and also page 17. In many ways the readme is out of date, but in this area nothing really has changed. Essentially, it is replacing the standard reference clock, which is based on the audio clock and prioritises audio over smooth video, with a new reference clock based on the system clock but "synchronised" with the video clock, so, when there is any mismatch between the source frame rate and the refresh rate, smooth video is now prioritised over perfect audio. In "normal" mode Reclock resamples audio to "make it fit", in "bitstreaming" mode it has to crudely drop or repeat audio packets. Now you are right, if all is working perfectly there is no need to correct anything and you will not notice the difference, with or without bitstreaming, with or without Reclock(!); Probably the standard clock accuracies have improved since Reclock was first conceived anyway. However, it is still true that, when there is any conflict, standard Windows behaviour is to prioritise keeping audio in sync, without resampling, over smooth video. With Reclock the priority is smooth video, ideally with audio resampling to maintain sync. And sometimes you have no choice but to either resample of have many dropped frames e.g. 23.976fps @60Hz (not 59.940Hz) or 23.976fps @50Hz (e.g. blu-ray on a PAL display).

Last edited:
You have an ATI 5000 card, right? Are you getting any conflicts without ReClock? I don't remember any either with a 4670. Could video and audio on these cards run on the same clock?

I'm not bitstreaming to get better "quality", by the way. I'm about the last person around the HTPC forums that will claim audibility in dubious situations. It's just more practical for me to bitstream, and there's some metadata that the decoders in most players don't apply like the EX or DPLII flags for DD or even DTS-ES decoding.

I have to use Reclock as I have a PAL display, so I've never really tried without.

My guess though is if you have matching rates e.g 23.976fps @23.976Hz (ATI "23") and are using a GPU with HDMI audio, Reclock, without vsync, probably does not do much to improve smoothness. If it does it is probably only a single frame or two a movie.

On the other hand, all commercial players and most open source players (exceptions are mpc-hcs EVR renderers) do nothing to prevent synchronised frame rate/refresh rate judder, so, especially when rates are well matched, all are susceptible to prolonged judder after seek/pause or after a random period of playback. Only Reclock can fix this in commercial players. Plus, it allows WASAPI exclusive from all players, bypassing Windows Mixer, which just feels good. So even if using a 5xxx card with a true 24p capable display I would still use Reclock.

Yea, any of the 5xxx cards have bitstreaming capability so that should be a fine little card.
Maybe not good enough for high quality (Vector Adaptive) deinterlacing though? Or is this confirmed as OK now, even with the 5450?

Maybe not good enough for high quality (Vector Adaptive) deinterlacing though? Or is this confirmed as OK now, even with the 5450?

That's a good point. I was focused on the audio aspect, but, yea, the lower cards are a bit limited in the post processing that can be applied. Depending on your needs this may not matter. Personally if I were building a dedicated HTPC right now, I'd put a 5650 in it. That'd guarantee it's powerful enough for all video post processing, fairly quiet and cool, and of course bitstreaming. But for a cheap upgrade just for bitstreaming, the 5450 is a capable little card.

Yeah, my minimum/preferred card would be the 5650 too.

This is an interesting discussion as yesterday I noticed some movies have far more drops then others. Case in point I noticed that TrueHD titles seem to have far more drops then DTS-MA/HR. Case in point Star Trek First Contact seems to be the worst title where it happens just about every few minutes you get a drop or a repeat.

One thing I want to point out - or question better yet why does this happen with reclock and Not WITHOUT reclock? Are you saying that reclock chooses to drop the audio packet rather then the video frame? If that is true, then it does make sense as I noticed the movies that have the most fluctuation have the most dropped packets... But that begs the question why with only TrueHD titles and NOT with DTS-MA/HR?

What are some of the external factors that can influence this accuracy? (Setting in Reclock - then whats the best setting to prevent the drops?, Player, CPU, Memory, Video Card, etc.)

I definitely see a difference in how smooth the video is with reclock BUT at the cost of audio being dropped? I dont think thats a good trade off as the audio dropping is more distracting then a repeat video frame - either is bad if its too frequent.

And that's why James made the argument that ReClock with bitstreaming isn't ideal. ;) ReClock + bit perfect PCM can keep everything in sync without resorting to dropping frames. Why it happens with TrueHD is just a matter of "luck". It could just as easily happen with DTS-HD MA if the sync is bad. There's absolutely nothing else ReClock can do. It's the nature of bitstreaming and why James says that option is "not recommended." Imagine that. :D

Back