• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Where r the updates?

Don't know... Saw3 is still waiting on my desk to be examined. But I have the premature feeling, that on the fly decryption (what defines AnyDVD) won't cut it anymore for Shrink.
The technical reason is simple: AnyDVD does not, can not and will not analyze the .vob files. Why? It would defeat its primary purpose, as it would need to scan the whole disc after you inserted it. You don't want to wait 15 minutes for the disc icon to appear in explorer. This would be a waste of time, as a copy tool like CloneDVD wouldn't take longer to copy the whole disc to the harddrive.
So you need to "repair" the disc and save the repaired files to harddisk. AnyDVD ripper was a "kludge" which did this, but still - it isn't AnyDVD's primary purpose.
You can use any "repair" tool to copy the disc to harddisk. Maybe VOBBlanker would do.
You could copy the files to harddisk and use FixVTS on the files. Or kindly ask jeanl to add a "copy from A to B" option into FixVTS.
IMHO using CloneDVD2 really is the best and most elegant solution, as you can "preprocess" the disc already while copying it. Something AnyDVD ripper or FixVTS cannot do.
Nevertheless, I *will* look into Saw3 & Co., and if I find a way to make Shrink happy, I'll do so. Unfortunately Shrink isn't really saying much useful why it dislikes the input. "Not enough storage to process this command" isn't really helpful.
Don't work too hard on it James, people need to understand that Shrink is going to have problems since it is not updated anymore.

What's the problem with requiring people who want to use the non-updated DVD Shrink to copy the files to their hard drive, run FixVTS on it, and then open it with Shrink? Why should AnyDVD be updated to support a program that's no longer updated? It simply can't handle non-standard DVD structures. CloneDVD can. CloneDVD will clean the DVD structure up, too, so you can run the output of CloneDVD through Shrink if you want better compression. But if you want a free way to fix the output for Shrink, use FixVTS. If you're proficient in programming, you could write a copy (ripper) program that copies the DVD to the hard drive and then run FixVTS automatically.

What's the problem with requiring people who want to use the non-updated DVD Shrink to copy the files to their hard drive, run FixVTS on it, and then open it with Shrink? Why should AnyDVD be updated to support a program that's no longer updated? It simply can't handle non-standard DVD structures. CloneDVD can. CloneDVD will clean the DVD structure up, too, so you can run the output of CloneDVD through Shrink if you want better compression. But if you want a free way to fix the output for Shrink, use FixVTS. If you're proficient in programming, you could write a copy (ripper) program that copies the DVD to the hard drive and then run FixVTS automatically.
Exactly Samuri, AnyDVD and Slysoft should not update just to accomodate for an application that is no longer updated.

I third the motion. I still use it but only after I rip using clonedvd2 first.
Good idea, that solves potential problems. People who don't want to buy CloneDVD are welcome to use a free alternative. A free alternative that is updated!!! RipIt4Me and DVD Fab come to mind.

Exactly Samuri, AnyDVD and Slysoft should not update just to accomodate for an application that is no longer updated.

The thing that's not well understood is that DVD Shrink can not deal with non-standard DVD structures. The problem with that is that these new ANNOYING protections like RipGuard and arrccos screw with the structure WAY too much. AnyDVD is not able to rewrite an entire DVD structure on the fly as James said above. It should be up to whatever program you use that PROCESSES the disc to deal with the structure accordingly. CloneDVD does this. For those that want to use Shrink or Recode(another non-updated, non-supported program IMO), then copy the DVD to the hard drive, run the latest FixVTS on it, and use Shrink. Nothing too complicated there.

Maybe a batch .cmd file would do.

Good idea, that solves potential problems. People who don't want to buy CloneDVD are welcome to use a free alternative. A free alternative that is updated!!! RipIt4Me and DVD Fab come to mind.

I mean don't get me wrong I use anydvd with a few other apps too so I like the fact it is usable with other burning apps that are updated as needed.

The thing that's not well understood is that DVD Shrink can not deal with non-standard DVD structures. The problem with that is that these new ANNOYING protections like RipGuard and arrccos screw with the structure WAY too much. AnyDVD is not able to rewrite an entire DVD structure on the fly as James said above. It should be up to whatever program you use that PROCESSES the disc to deal with the structure accordingly. CloneDVD does this. For those that want to use Shrink or Recode(another non-updated, non-supported program IMO), then copy the DVD to the hard drive, run the latest FixVTS on it, and use Shrink. Nothing too complicated there.
I'm glad this forum is lucky enough to have a poster like you that explains things like you do and gives the facts.

Wait a sec... of course I'll try to make everybody happy. And I like Shrink myself a lot. So if I find a cool solution, I will surely add it.

Maybe a batch .cmd file would do.

I thought of that, too. It wouldn't be all that hard to do. Take the drive letter and a directory path as inputs, make sure the directory exists, if not, create it, then do the copy. After the copy is complete, there should be a way to pass the directory to FixVTS via command line and kick off that process. Done.

Wait a sec... of course I'll try to make everybody happy. And I like Shrink myself a lot. So if I find a cool solution, I will surely add it.

I know you will. That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that you shouldn't HAVE to try to work around issues with software that isn't updated anymore that you aren't getting paid for. It's INSANELY awesome that you do try to work on these issues. Ok, enough of this problem...I have a solution that works if you're interested. You will have to get this one through your people though as I don't TRULY know the ramifications.

What if, for the sake of argument, AnyDVD detects the presence of FixVTS and instead of including the CODE, simply works with it command line similar to what certain other products do? So you could maybe set a path in AnyDVD to point to the FixVTS exe(thus getting around the GPL problem I know you're struggling with) and have AnyDVD auto rip to the hard drive and then call FixVTS when it's done. Would this satisfy all parties?

I know you will. That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that you shouldn't HAVE to try to work around issues with software that isn't updated anymore that you aren't getting paid for. It's INSANELY awesome that you do try to work on these issues. Ok, enough of this problem...I have a solution that works if you're interested. You will have to get this one through your people though as I don't TRULY know the ramifications.

What if, for the sake of argument, AnyDVD detects the presence of FixVTS and instead of including the CODE, simply works with it command line similar to what certain other products do? So you could maybe set a path in AnyDVD to point to the FixVTS exe(thus getting around the GPL problem I know you're struggling with) and have AnyDVD auto rip to the hard drive and then call FixVTS when it's done. Would this satisfy all parties?
Sure. Consider it done. :D
Technically I would still prefer if FixVTS would allow to copy from A->B, as the process could be finished faster. I am a speed maniac. Buts as I would still use CloneDVD2 to do the rip, it wouldn't hurt me this much. :p

Sure. Consider it done. :D
Technically I would still prefer if FixVTS would allow to copy from A->B, as the process could be finished faster. I am a speed maniac. Buts as I would still use CloneDVD2 to do the rip, it wouldn't hurt me this much. :p

I agree with you on both counts...that FixVTS would be better if it had a copy ability and that people SHOULD use CloneDVD anyway. :D But, this has been an ongoing issue for MONTHS now and would allow you to rip out the old FixVTS code if you wanted to and give people a fairly nice way to get AnyDVD to work with DVD Shrink now and in the future without YOU having to deal with it. If FixVTS is updated, then they just drop the new exe in place and they're done. I think this solution, while not as elegant as you'd probably like, will work well for the time being and satisfy the masses.

Back