• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Unable to rip District 9

I added all the folders, including the !ANY folder etc, not just the BDMV and certificate folders. In any event, it will work, but for those of you who already ripped to a folder, you can swap the certificate files I described earlier and then create an ISO much more quickly from your harddisk.

The image seems to work as long as the "AnyDVD" files are not in the certificate folder and the "online" files are in there instead.

I am currently ripping an ISO with the AnyDVD rip to image feature, I will mount it and see what is in the certificate folder.

Last edited:
Well, I went for a basic image with just the Certificate and BDMV folders to see how well that works. If they're checking the CERTIFICATE folder for the presense of ANYDVD stuff, then it's yet another salvo in the war between PDVD9 and AnyDVD. I don't necessarily think they're doing that, but, what do I know. :) We'll find out in 20 or so minutes when my image is done.

I checked all my other ISO rips created using AnyDVDs "Rip to image" feature. None of them contain these three "online" files that apparently change into AnyDVD files and can keep ISO from working (If that is really what is happening).

Well, hopefully this will show us what the issue is and then maybe SlySoft can do something about it. My image is still being created at the moment. In any case, I do hope we can find the issue for SlySoft.

That's what I had said to do in another thread and what I'm trying myself right now.

-use default AnyDVD settings

It really doesn't matter much which AnyDVD settings you choose. You can remove region coding if you want, remove BD-Live....

The problem is *not* AnyDVD's modification of files on the disc (as proven by the ImgBurn workaround). I believe it is a problem with or even below the UDF structure on the disc (or AnyDVD's modification). It might be related that this is also a PS3 game disc, not only a BD movie.
Either the player(s) are trying to be clever (a PS3 disc? On a BD-R? I don't believe it!) or AnyDVD is damaging something which upsets some players (but not the Windows UDF filesystem which I know checks all file/directory CRCs).
Both scenarios are equally improbable, and TBH I don't have a clue what's going on.
BTW, the UK version of the disc looks and feels almost identical to the US version, but doesn't contain the PS3 game (or I haven't found it). It works fine with AnyDVD and PowerDVD9.
As the players don't really tell us *why* they don't like a disc, we have to do a lot of guessing, trying, ....
I'm sure someday we'll solve this mystery, too.

Any hints what makes a PS3 game disc "special" regarding UDF structures are welcome. Maybe AnyDVD really does something wrong in such cases, e.g. when renaming the AACS directory.

I checked all my other ISO rips created using AnyDVDs "Rip to image" feature. None of them contain these three "online" files that apparently change into AnyDVD files and can keep ISO from working (If that is really what is happening).

In our tests we kept *all* files exactly like they are on the disc as seen by the player - even including the ANY! directory - and created an image with ImgBurn. Mounted image works fine. The conclusion is, that it has nothing to do with visible files on the disc. AnyDVD's modifications are not the problem.

It really doesn't matter much which AnyDVD settings you choose. You can remove region coding if you want, remove BD-Live....
Maybe it was too early saying this... We've tried this on the UK disc, not the US disc. I shouldn't jump to conclusions.... :eek:

I was wondering about the PS3 content and whether it has anything to do with it. That's one of the reasons I went for just the BD content with my image. I wish I knew more about it.

Maybe it was too early saying this... We've tried this on the UK disc, not the US disc. I shouldn't jump to conclusions.... :eek:

Ohhhhhh. Bad bad! :) My image is almost done. I did not keep the main ANY! folder. Just BDMV and CERTIFICATE.

My image is done. However, I have good and bad news for you. The unsupported disc error is gone. It loads the alien symbol thing, and then dies, however. It doesn't get any further. No menu, nothing. Just a black screen. So, um, this certificate thing does seem bad.

The problem is *not* AnyDVD's modification of files on the disc (as proven by the ImgBurn workaround).

Confirmed.

I ripped an ISO using basic settings and AnyDVDs "Rip to image" feature.

I mounted the image and checked the certificate folder and the "online" files are all in there not the AnyDVD files and the ISO still doesn't work! So they really aren't the culprit. The ISO I made with Imgburn directly from the disc folders with anyDVD active including the "!ANY folder" does work.

Then explain to why, iF I rip to folders and then make an ISO with Imgburn and those AnyDVD files are in the certificate folder, the ISO does not work with PowerDVD 9 either. Swapping the files out however, I produced a functional ISO, nothing else was different, I merely replaced the three anydvd files in the certificate folder with the original "online" files and I had a working ISO. :confused:
Of course, I know far less about how this software works, and the important thing is that the ISO works now. Always nice to know why it works however.
The only thing I can fully confirm, is with standard settings, if you have AnyDVD active and create an ISO directly from the disc folders with Imgburn, the ISO will work with PowerDVD. If you create the ISO using AnyDVDs own "RIP to image" feature, it will not.

Last edited:
Strangely enough, if you look at the original disc with AnyDVD enabled, it has a size of 45.7 GB, the same size as the ISO I generated using "Rip to Image". Now if I copy all of these files to an ISO using ImgBurn, the ISO I get is 42.1 GB. Even though all three seem to have all the same files in them. There must indeed be some hidden data on the disk that AnyDVD is copying that is not copied when you manually select all visible folders and files with ImgBurn.

Strangely enough, if you look at the original disc with AnyDVD enabled, it has a size of 45.7 GB, the same size as the ISO I generated using "Rip to Image". Now if I copy all of these files to an ISO using ImgBurn, the ISO I get is 42.1 GB. Even though all three seem to have all the same files in them. There must indeed be some hidden data on the disk that AnyDVD is copying that is not copied when you manually select all visible folders and files with ImgBurn.

I think it was mentioned here a while back that when you just copy over the files straight you do loose some information that is kept when going straight to ISO such as positional data (like layer break info).

It won't affect the movie bits however, but it does take up some space. Not sure if that's all you loose though.

I take back what I said about my ISO. It does work. The first time it got stuck after the little alien symbol, but, I just tried again and it's now working. All I did to make my image was stuck the disc in the drive, dragged the CERTIFICATE and BDMV folders to ImgBurn with AnyDVD enabled, and wrote out an ISO. This works. No idea why it froze the first time, but, it's working fine now.

Parts of the PS3 game? I have no idea how PS3 games work, maybe some reserved area?

Now that the SlySoft team is looking at this, could I ask that you not limit the examination to PowerDVD and also look at WinDVD, as I can confirm that the same issue occurs with the latter program as well. Perhaps the fix that makes it work with PowerDVD will also make it work with WinDVD.

You're more than welcome to try. :) They've already fixed it for PDVD9. See the latest AnyDVD beta.

Great! I can confirm that both the original disk (with AnyDVD enabled) and an image created by AnyDVD now work with WinDVD, using AnyDVD version 6.6.1.3 beta. Any chance the SlySoft team will divulge what the issue turned out to be (and, more interestingly, whether this appears to be a deliberate anti-copying measure as opposed to an unintentional effect)?

Summary for drive I: (AnyDVD 6.6.1.3)
HL-DT-ST BD-REGGW-H20L YL05 001002081783D84146
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Blu-Ray disc.

Total size: 23984064 sectors (46843 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: DISTRICT_9
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 16
Removed AACS copy protection!
Can't determine region code!
Blu-ray disc Region set to A!
Possible Blu-ray Java region lock removed!
Blu-ray Java signatures fixed!
BD-Live deactivated!
Removed UOPs!
Modified volume recognition sequence!

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.6.1.3_Info_I_DISTRICT_9.zip
    284.9 KB · Views: 9
Great! I can confirm that both the original disk (with AnyDVD enabled) and an image created by AnyDVD now work with WinDVD, using AnyDVD version 6.6.1.3 beta. Any chance the SlySoft team will divulge what the issue turned out to be (and, more interestingly, whether this appears to be a deliberate anti-copying measure as opposed to an unintentional effect)?
I believe it was unintentional.

Modified volume recognition sequence!

I believe it was unintentional.

Awesome. Yet another bug you guys have had to work around. :bang: Well, thanks for doing it anyway. I appreciate it. Of course, in a few weeks when the ATI bitstreaming patch for TMT3 is released, I'll probably no longer care. Too many bugs are coming up in PDVD9 lately. I do like it as a player but it's starting to irritate me again.

Back