• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Unable to rip District 9

Removed UOPs!
I may be completely off base here, but will this disc play if UOPs are not removed?

I usually try to play discs with the least modification of their properties as possible (usually just remove BD live and region coding): then, if all is well, I might remove other things such as UOPs or annoying adverts and see if it still works.

I think the more one "tampers" with the original structure of a disc, the more likelihood a player could have issues.

FWIW, it played fine for me on PDVD9 & MPC and I backed it up with BDRebuilder to a DL disc which played without a single hiccup on my Panny bd60 standalone.

That's really weird. I get an unsupported disc error when I have AnyDVD enabled and try to use PDVD9. It only plays when AnyDVD is disabled.

@ricoman
Could you post an AnyDVD HD logfile?
Also what region is you disc from?

That's really weird. I get an unsupported disc error when I have AnyDVD enabled and try to use PDVD9. It only plays when AnyDVD is disabled.

Well, I am in the same boat with this disc. All the other discs I have ripped to images will play fine on PowerDVD 9, District 9 however, only plays when AnyDVD is disabled. With AnyDVD enabled it will not play from the original disc or the image. Much like Live Free or Die Hard back in the day.

I have the exact same issue, I cannot play this blu-ray disc with AnyDVD 6.6.0.9 running.

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.6.0.9)
SONY BD-ROM BDU-X10S 1.0D MAY20 ,2008
Drive (Hardware) Region: free

Media is a Blu-Ray disc.

Total size: 23984064 sectors (46843 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: DISTRICT_9
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 16
Removed AACS copy protection!

Attempting to run with Power DVD 7.3 (newest build) and I get the unsupported disc message most of you seem to be getting.

I was about to take the disc back to the store to exchange it, thinking it was bad.

I thought I turned AnyDVD off the other day and it still wouldn't run. I'll try it again just to be sure.

My BD-ROM firmware is up to date and my player software is up to date. My graphics drivers are up to date.

Not sure what else could be the problem.

OK, it is playing when I turn AnyDVD off... I probably didn't turn it off right or something the other day.

At least I can enjoy my movie... but... what's up with that? The reader and the player software seem to handle the blu-ray disc just fine... but when you add AnyDVD that software changes something on the disc so that it's no longer readable. I'm not ripping it to the hard drive, just watching it off the blu-ray disc.

Well, I am in the same boat with this disc. All the other discs I have ripped to images will play fine on PowerDVD 9, District 9 however, only plays when AnyDVD is disabled. With AnyDVD enabled it will not play from the original disc or the image. Much like Live Free or Die Hard back in the day.

I may have found a work around here, let me know if this works for anyone else. I ripped District 9 onto my Harddrive as a folder using the "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk" option in AnyDVD HD. Going into the root directory made, I saw a few PS3 folders, the BDMV folder and the certificate folder. I opened the certificate folder and deleted everything contained within. After that was done I opened the District 9 blu-ray using windows explorer and went into the analogous certificate folder there. I copied those files and pasted them into the certificate folder on my Harddisk. Using Imgburn, I used 2.5.0.0, I dragged each of of the folders and files in the root directory into the imgburn window including: BDMV, Certificate, the PS3 folders and any other files laying around inside that root directory. Under options I set the file system to UDF and the revision to 2.5. Under Labels, I gave the volume a UDF volume label, District 9. Now I created the image. This image played fine for me with PowerDVD 9 from My Movies 3 with AnyDVD disabled. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Did you still have AnyDVD HD running when you copied over the Certificate folder the second time?

Did you still have AnyDVD HD running when you copied over the Certificate folder the second time?

I am fairly certain AnyDVD was running when I manually copied the certificate folder from the disc, as I recall disabling it when I then ran the image.

Then it shouldn't make any difference as both ways copy over the files exactly the same way

It seems when I copied the files over manually I did have AnyDVD HD active, but I only had the "Enable Blu-ray support" and "PowerDVD "virtual drive detected" workaround" boxes checked under settings, Video Blu-ray. I had all the boxes checked when I ripped the folders to the disk. Indeed checking the "disable BD-Live" box puts the AnyDVD files into the certificate folder on the disc as well. It would stand to reason then, that if you only check the two boxes I listed above in AnyDVD HD Blu-ray Video settings and rip to folders, followed by a conversion to an ISO with imgburn that it should also work. I will try this later today. Definitely the swapping out of the certificate files that were present when the "disable BD-Live" box was checked with those when it wasn't solved the issue for me.

Last edited:
what are the file originally called that are now called any?

I may have found a work around here, let me know if this works for anyone else. I ripped District 9 onto my Harddrive as a folder using the "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk" option in AnyDVD HD. Going into the root directory made, I saw a few PS3 folders, the BDMV folder and the certificate folder. I opened the certificate folder and deleted everything contained within. After that was done I opened the District 9 blu-ray using windows explorer and went into the analogous certificate folder there. I copied those files and pasted them into the certificate folder on my Harddisk. Using Imgburn, I used 2.5.0.0, I dragged each of of the folders and files in the root directory into the imgburn window including: BDMV, Certificate, the PS3 folders and any other files laying around inside that root directory. Under options I set the file system to UDF and the revision to 2.5. Under Labels, I gave the volume a UDF volume label, District 9. Now I created the image. This image played fine for me with PowerDVD 9 from My Movies 3 with AnyDVD disabled. Hope this helps.

Well, you jumped through a lot of burning hoops there and did some strange things with the certificate folder.
But I can tell you this: it would have sufficed, to simply create an ISO with ImageBurn and not change anything in the file structure. I already know that it works when you simply recreate an ISO from scratch. We're still not sure, where the actual source of the problem is, though.

what are the file originally called that are now called any?

With the "Disable BD-Live" box checked the following files appear in the certificate folder on the original disc.

AnyDVD.xig
AnyDVD.xrl
AnyDVD.xrt
app.discroot
bu.discroot
id.bdmv
Backup (folder)

These were the files in my folder structure rip, as I ripped with all check boxes selected in settings, video blu-ray and ISO made from this did not work.

Disabling all but the "Enable blu-ray support" and "PowerDVD "Virtual drive detected" workaround" boxes, different files appear in the certificate folder.

I now see

Online.crl
online.sig
online.crt
app.discroot
bu.discroot
id.bdmv
Backup (folder)

Swapping these files into my folder structure Certificate folder, generated an ISO with imgburn that works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you jumped through a lot of burning hoops there and did some strange things with the certificate folder.
But I can tell you this: it would have sufficed, to simply create an ISO with ImageBurn and not change anything in the file structure. I already know that it works when you simply recreate an ISO from scratch. We're still not sure, where the actual source of the problem is, though.

I did create an ISO with IMgburn without swapping those certificate files. It also gave the "unknown disc type" error in PowerDVD 9. Although if I had "Ripped Video DVD to harddisk" without "Disable BD-Live" checked I probably could have made an ISO from the folders without changing anything.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I set AnyDVD HD with only "enable Blu-ray support" and the PowerDVD "virtual drive detected workaround check boxes checked under settings. Checked that the certificate folder on the disc didn't have the anyDVD files I listed above but the "online" files instead.
Using Imgburn I created an image directly from the files and folders in the original disc root directory with AnyDVD active.
This ISO also works with PowerDVD. So you can create an image with AnyDVD active using imgburn without ever ripping the disc to the harddisk.
I am now creating an ISO with the AnyDVD "Rip to image" feature to see if that still doesn't work.

That's what I had said to do in another thread and what I'm trying myself right now.

-use default AnyDVD settings
-open up ImgBurn with the original disc in the drive
-select "create image from files/folders" in ImgBurn
-add the certificate and BDMV folders from the original disc
-give it a name and output location
-create the ISO

I was pretty sure this would work when I told someone else to do it, but, I wanted to make sure so I'm trying it myself.

Back