• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Unable to rip District 9

This disc pisses me off. PDVD9 will play it once you disable AnyDVD AND disable the Allow connection when certification validation failed option. It plays in WinDVD 2010 with AnyDVD disabled. It plays in TMT3 either way. I really have no idea what's going on but when AnyDVD is enabled this disc has serious problems.

This disc pisses me off. PDVD9 will play it once you disable AnyDVD AND disable the Allow connection when certification validation failed option. It plays in WinDVD 2010 with AnyDVD disabled. It plays in TMT3 either way. I really have no idea what's going on but when AnyDVD is enabled this disc has serious problems.

Actually, per your own description, it's the players that have problems, not the disc.

These software players are notoriously buggy, and they get especially sketchy when playing non-AACS BD ISOs.

Save yourself some trouble, and rip out the main movie using something like ClownBD. Then use a reliable player like the PCH-A110.

All your problems will be solved.

How is it the player's fault when it plays the disc without AnyDVD enabled but won't with AnyDVD running? Yes, the players are buggy, but, it shouldn't make any difference if AnyDVD is running or not.

How is it the player's fault when it plays the disc without AnyDVD enabled but won't with AnyDVD running? Yes, the players are buggy, but, it shouldn't make any difference if AnyDVD is running or not.

Many software players are under severe license terms with regards to DRM and the stuff on BD discs.

Without AnyDVD running - the player sees a BD with AACS (and maybe BD+), and says "I'm happy, as this is consistent with all the restrictive DRM stuff out there that is supposed to be the only way to view these!"

With AnyDVD running - the player sees a BD with HD audio, but no AACS (and no BD+), and says "I'm confused - I was told it was impossible to have a non-DRM BD, let alone a non-DRM BD with HD audio! What's going on here?!?"

Given that it works fine in players that are more non-DRM friendly, this is most likely a player problem. That's not to say that SlySoft couldn't work around it, but if I were SlySoft, I'd be desparately trying to get my player out there quickly so I could stop working around the nonsense restrictions in the other players.

I'm definitely not following your logic at all on this one. If the disc plays in the players with AnyDVD disabled, and doesn't play in the players with it enabled, this is a player problem??? Clearly something is going on with AnyDVD and this particular disc. It's AnyDVD's job to remove the DRM in such a way that allows any player to play it. That's the entire point of having AnyDVD! It's NOT so that discs can be ripped. It's so that we can watch the discs in any way that we wish with whatever player we choose. On this particular disc, that's not happening.

I'm definitely not following your logic at all on this one. If the disc plays in the players with AnyDVD disabled, and doesn't play in the players with it enabled, this is a player problem??? Clearly something is going on with AnyDVD and this particular disc. It's AnyDVD's job to remove the DRM in such a way that allows any player to play it. That's the entire point of having AnyDVD! It's NOT so that discs can be ripped. It's so that we can watch the discs in any way that we wish with whatever player we choose. On this particular disc, that's not happening.

You're making a huge assumption that the players behave in exactly the same way when they see a non-DRM disc and a DRM disc. That's already been proven not to be the case multiple times.

And it's not SlySoft's responsibility to ensure the players work properly. They just need to remove the DRM cleanly.

AnyDVD removes the encryption (AACS and BD+), and does it incredibly well. They also go above and beyond in working around the wackiness in the various players out there, when really they shouldn't need to.

If you want to prove this to yourself, rip out the movie alone. You'll find that the movie is perfect, and DRM free. Most players will play an M2TS file without issues, although many will downrez the HD audio.

Whether SlySoft continues to deal with the crazy software players and associated issues is up to them. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped trying.

Wasn't this a District 9 thread?

Anyway, ripped D9 to the hard drive, did a "movie only" backup with BD Rebuilder to a 25GB disk and works without issue.

Wasn't this a District 9 thread?

Anyway, ripped D9 to the hard drive, did a "movie only" backup with BD Rebuilder to a 25GB disk and works without issue.
Of course it will as you've removed all the original structure so you're not using the same structure as the original disc

Quite simple: PDVD9 will not play 1 out of a few hundred discs without AnyDVD involved. With AnyDVD active, you'll turn every one of the few thousands of discs into ANOTHER disc, effectively doubling the number of discs that potentially get presented to PDVD9, nearly doubling the number of discs that will not get played (of course factor 2 is much exaggerated - but as far as I can see, here we're looking at one out of twelvethousand discs that doesn't play).
Just a question of statistics.
In the past there were numerous discs that only played WITH AnyDVD enabled but not without.

But certainly, PDVD does try to check whether a disc has been touched by AnyDVD, so a BD-R will be a first hint.

Still, AnyDVD makes clean and conforming non-AACS Blu-Rays. I'll take a look at this specific disc sometime anyway.

Without AnyDVD running - the player sees a BD with AACS (and maybe BD+), and says "I'm happy, as this is consistent with all the restrictive DRM stuff out there that is supposed to be the only way to view these!"

No, AACS is only mandatory on BD-ROMs, but AnyDVD virtually changes the disc into BD-Rs. So there's nothing that should confuse a player.

Last edited:
Quite simple: PDVD9 will not play 1 out of a few hundred discs without AnyDVD involved. With AnyDVD active, you'll turn every one of the few thousands of discs into ANOTHER disc, effectively doubling the number of discs that potentially get presented to PDVD9, nearly doubling the number of discs that will not get played (of course factor 2 is much exaggerated - but as far as I can see, here we're looking at one out of twelvethousand discs that doesn't play).
Just a question of statistics.
In the past there were numerous discs that only played WITH AnyDVD enabled but not without.

But certainly, PDVD does try to check whether a disc has been touched by AnyDVD, so a BD-R will be a first hint.

Still, AnyDVD makes clean and conforming non-AACS Blu-Rays. I'll take a look at this specific disc sometime anyway.

I understand. In this particular case, it refuses to play with WinDVD 2010 when AnyDVD is active, as well, so, it's not just one player this time. TMT3 happily goes about its business as usual. (And why it's my favorite player. If it gets ATI bitstreaming then I can start using it again vs PDVD9) But if you could take a look at it and find a way to make it work that'd be great. If not, I guess I'll need to look into getting subs to work with MPC-HC.

Sorry to rain on your parade guys, but I am with SamuriHL; there is definitely something wrong with Anydvd and District 9.
Even before starting my TMT player, the BD drive doesn't recognize the disk when Anydvd is running. I had to uninstall Anydvd to get things back to normal and watch the movie. I'm running the latest versions of TMT, Anydvd and Vista.

As a former cracker myself (back in the old SoftICE days...anyone remember that debugger?), I’d just say this: don’t jump to conclusions about whose “fault” this is (PDVD vs. WinDVD vs. TMT vs. AnyDVD). You have many software players that have awfully bloated and buggy software that probably don’t completely conform to the BD specs. Yes, the disk works with WinDVD when AnyDVD is off but not with AnyDVD on, but that just means that the issue is with the interaction between the AnyDVD-patched image and WindDVD. Yes, it could be that AnyDVD “patches” the disk in a way that makes the disk non-compliant with BD specs, but it could also be that AnyDVD makes the disk emulate a fully compatible non-AACS disk that the WinDVD (or PDVD) software INcorrectly reads as a “disallowed” disk.

My 2 cents.

I also have had lots of trouble with this disc and it is the same problem that show up on angels and demons. Forced subs do not work in several situations. sony stays at the forefront of adding obsticles to copying.

I also have had lots of trouble with this disc and it is the same problem that show up on angels and demons. Forced subs do not work in several situations. sony stays at the forefront of adding obsticles to copying.
Your issues are nothing to do with their's though as you're trying to play back on a WD media player which is completely different

How so? What specifically is the difference? The WD Media player is much more versatile than any of the players mentioned and has had no problem playing anything I've thrown at it up to this point. There are several threads which mention district 9 and angels and demons having problems. I've backed up several hundred BD's into ISO images without a hitch. I believe this to be a new structure that is being used by sony. I for one am glad to hear that district 9 will be looked at since there seem to be several problems occuring with it.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware the WD Media player doesn't play the full disc with menu's etc which means it doesn't play back the proper disc structure. All the other players will also play back movie only discs and will play back pretty much everything the WD MP will if you have the correct codecs installed

I'm also getting the "Disc with unsupported format in Drive G:" with PowerDVD 7.3 (build 5711) with AnyDVD 6.6.0.8 running. The disc plays fine with AnyDVD off.

As a former cracker myself (back in the old SoftICE days...anyone remember that debugger?), I’d just say this: don’t jump to conclusions about whose “fault” this is (PDVD vs. WinDVD vs. TMT vs. AnyDVD). You have many software players that have awfully bloated and buggy software that probably don’t completely conform to the BD specs. Yes, the disk works with WinDVD when AnyDVD is off but not with AnyDVD on, but that just means that the issue is with the interaction between the AnyDVD-patched image and WindDVD. Yes, it could be that AnyDVD “patches” the disk in a way that makes the disk non-compliant with BD specs, but it could also be that AnyDVD makes the disk emulate a fully compatible non-AACS disk that the WinDVD (or PDVD) software INcorrectly reads as a “disallowed” disk.

My 2 cents.

Exactly!
And mine plays fine, FWIW.

Back