• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Subtitles embedded when separate file selected

I am still in the trial phase of AS but like very much what I see so far. Using Plex on Apple TV is my main use but when I download files with the embedded subtitles they show on Plex playback even though I've told it to turn them off. In order for me to fix this on Plex I have to turn the subtitles on and then off before they turn off.

Realizing this I was hoping to download the subtitle files and remux as MKV with the separate subtitle file. I've tried the "Store Subtitles as .SRT". After the download I do have a separate subtitle file but the subtitles are still embedded in the MP4 leaving me with the same issue on Plex. Any suggestions?

A log file is needed.

But to answer your question, I've never had this issue. I download separate SRT and then use MKVtoolNix and have no issues on Plex. The only time a subtitle plays is when I have is flagged as default, like for a forced language subtitle. Now, I do know that Plex will remember your setting. So, if you had the subtitle set to play previously, it will remember that the next time.

To be clear this only happens with Plex on Apple TV. I've tested it on Plex for Roku and the issue does not occur. When played through VLC the subtitles start automatically as well and are clearly embedded as I have the option to turn them off. I've uploaded two screenshots showing my settings and options I select when downloading. The log is also there as well. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.png
    2.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 10
  • log.txt
    42.3 KB · Views: 2
That's not a logfile, you need to post the entire zip

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sorry, here is the complete file.

Attachments

• Horrible Bosses 2.astlog
    2 MB · Views: 2
I just tried it with the new version as suggested and here is a screenshot of when I open the video, I did not select the subtitles, and also the log. Thanks.

Attachments

• Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.astlog
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 1.png
    1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
I also tried it and got a perfect video with a .srt file if I wanted to use it. You must have your setting wrong. I have nothing to do with Plex or Apple TV. Your log file doesn't show anything wrong. subtitles are not embedded when you download the movie with the correct settings. Uncheck English CC in the settings in your .png 2

Bill and Ted.jpg

.srt.jpg

Last edited:
I also tried it and got a perfect video with a .srt file if I wanted to use it. You must have your setting wrong. I have nothing to do with Plex or Apple TV. Your log file doesn't show anything wrong. subtitles are not embedded when you download the movie with the correct settings. Uncheck English CC in the settings in your .png 2

View attachment 67140

View attachment 67137

So I tried it by unchecking the English CC and no subtitles were embedded but the .srt file didn't download.

Well, it does for everyone else, so your system must have a flaw. The program works fine.

I only have one download left to try this today. Just want to make sure the process is correct.

Settings - Downloads - Check off "Store Subtitles as .SRT"
Then when I go to download the video I am supposed to uncheck all of the subtitle options?

How is it supposed to know what subtitle langue to download separately? Does it just base it on my language selection under settings?

I only have one download left to try this today. Just want to make sure the process is correct.

Settings - Downloads - Check off "Store Subtitles as .SRT"
Then when I go to download the video I am supposed to uncheck all of the subtitle options?

How is it supposed to know what subtitle langue to download separately? Does it just base it on my language selection under settings?
Only check the subtitle you want. Doesn't that make sense?

To be clear this only happens with Plex on Apple TV. I've tested it on Plex for Roku and the issue does not occur.
Hi Martin,
I was looking at my subtitle settings in both my Plex Media Server (PMS) and AppleTV 4K.
My settings are as follows:
  • PMS: Settings > Languages > Subtitle mode = Manually selected
  • AppleTV: Settings > Subtitiles > Burn Subtitles = Automatic
upload_2022-8-26_21-51-0.png

I normally don't use Plex on AppleTV - I use Infuse instead because it's more reliable from my experience. However, I tried playing three different movies to see if the subtitles were on by default based on my settings. They were off when I checked the video playback settings during movie playback. No subtitles were showing on screen either.

I would look at your settings to see if you find anything that you can change to run your test again.

I have the default embedded settings for my AS downloads. I don't like storing my movies in individual folders...

upload_2022-8-26_21-58-45.png

Hope this helps...

So I was messing around again with this and stumbled on to what may be a bug. I found out by pure accident, if you change the file name to include parenthesis, the embedded subtitles go away. If you remove the parenthesis they come back. Below are screenshots depicting this anomaly. What syntax are people typically using when they download non-embedded subtitles? I have been using %t.mp4 this whole time and ending up with embedded subtitles even when selecting separate .srt file.

1a.png 1.png

2a.png 2.png

Back