• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved Right FW for BU40N?

DeepSpace

I bricked my Asus 16D1HT by flashing something wrong and so I retrieved a BU40N as it has been said to be a tank etc. (Yes, it is a brick now, but the Asus annoyed me anyways. So I am not exactly mad about it).

It recognizes the UHD disc immediately, but the firmware does not support LibreDrive. Since there are several different folders in the MK firmware pack, I want to ask before I flash something wrong again.

Is it BU40N-N-Main? And what would the BU50N firmware do? Is it better than BU40N, same way Asus 3.02 is said to be better and 3.10 to be faster?
Edit: Second question: Is the BU50N itself better than the BU40N?
2023-08-11 - 11-52-21 - explorer (HL-DT-ST).png

The information about the drive:
2023-08-11 - 11-40-53 - SDFtool_Flasher_1.3.5 (SDFtool_Flasher).png
2023-08-11 - 11-41-38 - makemkv (MakeMKV_BETA) edit.png

BU50 is another drive and that has to be crossflashed in a cumbersome way to BP60NB10. Forget about it!!!

In your case you go to the OLD folder that is shown besides ASUS and LG and pick BU40N-1.03 which is the recommended firmware.

In your case you go to the OLD folder that is shown besides ASUS and LG and pick BU40N-1.03 which is the recommended firmware.
Thanks for the quick help, it worked and it now can handle the UHD just fine.

BU50 is another drive and that has to be crossflashed in a cumbersome way to BP60NB10.
Ok, I just asked out of interest since the firmware is there as well.

How the hell did you brick your ASUS?????
I tried to flash other firmwares like BH60NS60 to see if they work better as the normal one. It worked well, until I flashed the wrong firmware. Now it still shows up, but doesn't react to anything. I can't even eject the tray by using the button on it. Yes, it is stupid, I know, in the moment I did it I just thought it can't get worse anyway as it already is and that I could use all firmwares.

But as said, please don't make a big deal of it, the Asus annoyed me anyway.
So unless you have an idea on how to revive it, there is no need to talk any further about this as I learned my lesson and I am not even mad about loosing this drive.
(the flasher doesn't do anything either, both SDF and the Asus ODD FW Changer with 3.02) If you want the error codes, I am happy to make screenshots of them.

The only was to POSSIBLY revive it is with DOSFlash in DOS mode and the SATA interface must be set to IDE instead of AHCI.

So which firmware did you flash? BH16NB60 would have been OK.

If it ws annoying you most likely the laser lens was / is polluted. Otherwise those drives / lasers just die and you can't read any BD / UHD anymore.

I personally use 1.00 on my LG drives, including my bu40n, to give it the most compatibility with different programs.

The only was to POSSIBLY revive it is with DOSFlash in DOS mode and the SATA interface must be set to IDE instead of AHCI.
Ok, I will try it later today.

So which firmware did you flash? BH16NB60 would have been OK.
It was ok. Then I went to BU40N...

If it ws annoying you most likely the laser lens was / is polluted.
Not sure as it can read the discs. I am talking about it's behavior. Instead of giving read errors like the Pioneer slim does, it just slows down and goes to sleep. After a some seconds, it goes up and then sleep again. It is so bugged that the entire explorer is affected (click on download in my browser, it takes seconds until the window opens) and even when I click cancel and eject the disc, AnyDVd stays as is until I shut it off (disconnecting it). Only then it stops and asks to delete the .iso.

I personally use 1.00 on my LG drives, including my bu40n, to give it the most compatibility with different programs.
Correct if you use various programs. If only AnyDVD in conjunction with Makemkv (needed!) 1.03 is recommended.

If you want to flash BU40N 1.00 you need to download the DE firmware pack. @DeepSpace , let me know if you need a link.

Last edited:
Ok, I will try it later today.

It was ok. Then I went to BU40N...

Not sure as it can read the discs. I am talking about it's behavior. Instead of giving read errors like the Pioneer slim does, it just slows down and goes to sleep. After a some seconds, it goes up and then sleep again. It is so bugged that the entire explorer is affected (click on download in my browser, it takes seconds until the window opens) and even when I click cancel and eject the disc, AnyDVd stays as is until I shut it off (disconnecting it). Only then it stops and asks to delete the .iso.
The behavior you describe happens when the lens is polluted. Now flashing a slim drive software on a full size drive will kill it and vice versa.

The behavior you describe happens when the lens is polluted. Now flashing a slim drive software on a full size drive will kill it and vice versa.
Ok, then I will first try to use DOSflash and then see if it does anything when I clean the lens. I think I just have to use a cleaning disc as I don't want to take it apart in order to reach the lens.

I have a two other FW related questions:
1. My Pioneer Verbatim Slim has the 1.11, I bought a second one for someone that comes with 1.14. Question is again like 3.02 and 3.10, is it known if one of them is better and would it make sense to flash mine with 1.14? Or is there another version that is better than both of them? Only if it has major benefits, it works well as it is and has LibreDrive support. So this is only out of curiosity, not because any action needed.

Second question is an older slim drive BP30N, not UHD but MakeMKV says Libre might be possible. And there are some newer drives of it in the MK pack.
Does it make any sense to attempt a flash?

old: 2023-08-11 - 13-09-29 - explorer (old).png HL-DT-ST: 2023-08-11 - 13-09-43 - explorer (HL-DT-ST).png
2023-08-11 - 12-04-27 - makemkv (MakeMKV_BETA) edit.png

The max version that should be flashed with your UD04 drive is 1.14. If newer it will render your drive useless with UHD!!!!! Just leave it alone is my recommendation!

Forget about the BP30N. It is too old. If you flash it, it will become a door stop. These old drive will never be supported.

If newer it will render your drive useless with UHD
Yes I heard about the updates, I just had no overview what FW even exist for this drive.
Since it is working perfectly and I could not really see a benefit on the drive with 1.14, I will just leave it as is.

Forget about the BP30N. It is too old. If you flash it, it will become a door stop. These old drive will never be supported.
Ok, I don't use it anymore anyways, but it could read one disc with issues immediately. So I thought if it could make sense to use it with difficult discs, since the BU40N also gave an read error as the Pioneer did. But now with the flashed FW, it could read the disc as well, just went to a slow speed. So I am now trying the other error discs as well and if they work fine, there is no need to think about the BP30N anymore. I will report back once I'm done.

You know that you have to wash critical UHD discs?
Yes, as they can have a film etc. But I am talking about ordinary DVDs right now, and some BDs. The Pioneer and the DVD drive of my Laptop gave read errors for many, and the Asus did not work as described, so I decided to try the other FWs. And now I want to see if the BU40N can do it as it has been said to be a good drive.

Edit: The discs are all used and the DVDs have some bigger scratches, so it is only natural that they are difficult to read.

1. My Pioneer Verbatim Slim has the 1.11, I bought a second one for someone that comes with 1.14. Question is again like 3.02 and 3.10, is it known if one of them is better and would it make sense to flash mine with 1.14? Or is there another version that is better than both of them? Only if it has major benefits, it works well as it is and has LibreDrive support. So this is only out of curiosity, not because any action needed.
If you have a pio and it works, LEAVE IT ALONE. Do not go flashing pio drives.

The only was to POSSIBLY revive it is with DOSFlash
I can't even open it. No matter what I do, reboot into advanced settings, execute the cmd command and even using the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider, Windows just ignores it and doesn't let me install it. I even ran it as Trusted Installer. Nothing.
2023-11-29 - 10-13-37 - DosFlash64 (Error).png

Ahh, FreeDOS. Don't know that yet. Will try it. Not sure if I can do it today though.

Back