• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved Right FW for BU40N?

I cannot boot it on my PC as it doesn't even show up in the boot menu. So I put it back into the case and plugged it into my Laptop (where I also have the option to set AHCI mode, not on my PC). There I can boot it and when I type dosflash, I see this:

0) 0x5138 SATA Pri Master None
1) 0x5130 SATA Sec Master None
2) 0x5128 SATA Pri Master None
3) 0x5120 SATA Sec Master None
No ATAPI devides present!

When I type dosflash 0, it just throws out a bunch of information, like --help in other programs. Can't even read all of it since it gets cut off at the top of the screen lol.

Please tell me what it means. Won't be able to try it as I have to leave soon.

Then I have to see why it doesn't show up as an option in the Boot menu but works fine on my laptop.

For some reason, the USB now showed up in the Boot menu. However, it doesn't want to boot. It just flashes for a split second (the white boot line at the top of the screen) and then goes straight back. Guess it doesn't work on my PC then. Yes, I changed UEFI to CSM (forgot about that when I first tried it). I also tried MS-DOS.

Since it worked perfectly on my laptop, I will see if I can find a PC where it works on. At least two options. But that won't happen this week anymore. Maybe at the end of the year.

Disconnect all hard drives and let only the USB stick on your PC to boot and the optical drive on SATA. Try again.

Not neccessary. I forgot that I would have access to another PC today. I tried it there and it booted immediately. I will try the drive there tomorrow.

As for my PC, I had nothing there except the internal drives. And it should be no issue when they are there, since I could select and boot the stick on my laptop and the other PC just fine. So it has to be something with my PC or settings. Doesn't matter now as I can boot it on the other PC. Let's just hope it will recognize and handle the drive as it should.

It lives again, luckily I still had an old PC that had a setting for IDE mode in BIOS and I could flash it!
However, it doesn't read a disc. That means it makes the usual sounds when initializing when it moves, and it also opens and closes the tray when I press the button. But no matter what I use, 3.10, 3.02, 3.03, it acts as I haven't done anything. That means it doesn't try to read the disc. It just sits silent after closing the tray. Yes, power cycled it. I have also tried a BD and UHD. Already set it to Region 2 and AnyDVD can see it as well. Any ideas what I could do now?

When I open MakeMKV, it shows everything as usual, but the SN is blank. When I insert the disc, it shows the spinning animation as the drive is supposed to scan the disc now, but since it does send no information it just says no disc inserted.

I tried it again and it shows up as 1) 0xF110 SATA Sec Master ATAPI Asus BW-16D1hT 3.10
However, MTK Vendor Intro failed on port 0xF110. If you choose to resend the command you should turn the drive off and on after you pressed "Yes".
Also, if no, Flash ManufacturerID: 0x00, DeviceID: 0x00 Flash Type: MTK Vendor Intro failed! Flash Size: 0 bytes (0KB)

So I think it is a lost case and I can throw it away now. Thanks everyone for your help and patience.

Last edited:
flash it to wh16ns60 1.00 then you can use dosflash asus 3.10 has dos flash disabled
make sure you use the lg flasher or in sdf gui select include bootloader

only use the recovery steps for older NS40 drives!!:
Ok here's a summary of what you need to do

Downgrade your drive to WH16NS60 1.00 with sdftool or makemkv command line
Full shutdown pull power plug or flip switch push power button for 10 seconds
Then reflash WH16NS60 1.00 again with the unlocked lg or Asus flasher
Full shutdown pull power plug or flip switch push power button for 10 seconds
Then boot in to your dosflash bootable and dump the firmware
- Obsolete but can be useful for recovery
Use the transfer tool to your correct firmware and flash it.

I will try it later that day. No wonder I can't use it again when 3.10 has it disabled. Thanks!

Luckily I have made a backup back in the day before I flashed the MK firmware in order to copy my first ever UHD.
SDF v1.2.3/Firmware_Dumps. Inside are 6 .bin files which are I guess the unique infos for this drive. Like fd_sn.bin would be the Serial Number. However, if I select them with SDF or Asus ODD FW Changer, they complain (obviously, probably, since they are not the full FW, but only drive-specific stuff. Other question: Why hasn't it just dumped the full 2 MB that would be flashable easily and saved these files in addition for people who only need this specific stuff? Makes no sense for me.).

So how can I restore this backup? Can I just flash them with dosflash or would it also delete the chip before every file, like it did when I successfully made the last flash? In that case, I think I would need to edit the blank 3.02 and manually add these infos to the right place. I have found the Asus BW...3.02 line, but have no clue where I would need to put the stuff. (In case there are differences in editing between 3.02 and 3.10: Yes, I want to restore 3.02 instead of 3.10 since I heard it is a bit better with difficult discs, so I rather have a slightly slower drive than with 3.10.)

Luckily I have made a backup back in the day before I flashed the MK firmware in order to copy my first ever UHD.
SDF v1.2.3/Firmware_Dumps. Inside are 6 .bin files which are I guess the unique infos for this drive. Like fd_sn.bin would be the Serial Number. However, if I select them with SDF or Asus ODD FW Changer, they complain (obviously, probably, since they are not the full FW, but only drive-specific stuff. Other question: Why hasn't it just dumped the full 2 MB that would be flashable easily and saved these files in addition for people who only need this specific stuff? Makes no sense for me.).

So how can I restore this backup? Can I just flash them with dosflash or would it also delete the chip before every file, like it did when I successfully made the last flash? In that case, I think I would need to edit the blank 3.02 and manually add these infos to the right place. I have found the Asus BW...3.02 line, but have no clue where I would need to put the stuff. (In case there are differences in editing between 3.02 and 3.10: Yes, I want to restore 3.02 instead of 3.10 since I heard it is a bit better with difficult discs, so I rather have a slightly slower drive than with 3.10.)
there are no instructions on how to copy those backups into a fw file and i have never looked in to it
just follow the video and reback up the current one and transfer it to the correct fw the locations that are copied are the same from new to old fw so its safe to do

I have now hex-edided the 3.10 MK with the data from the dump. Didn't notice that three of them have the hex offset included in their filename when creating my last post.
I don't think that I need to put the fd_fwdate and inq.bin there, as the I would use the date from the MK firmware and the inq is the 3.10 stuff.
inq:
Code:
05 80 00 32 5B 00 00 00 41 53 55 53 20 20 20 20 42 57 2D 31 36 44 31 48 54 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 33 2E 31 30 57 4D 30 31 36 30 31 4B 4C 47 4B 38 53 41 34 38 35 35 20 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
€�2[���ASUS    BW-16D1HT       3.10WM01601KLGK8SA4855  ����������������������������������������

Is my assumption correct?

If yes, the only question remaining is the SN. I couldn't find the place where I have to put it. Could it be 00152650 or 001EC040?
Or would it even be possible to leave it clear, and would it work without a SN? It is a thing on the Switch to avoid banning with Homebrew. So it might work here as well.

Either way, it appears I put the other three files onto the right place and after saving, the filesize is exactly the same. I attached my edited file for you to check. I won't upload the SN file for obvious reasons.

Attachments

• 3.10MK edit.bin
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • fd_fwdate.bin
    28 bytes · Views: 0
  • inq.bin
    96 bytes · Views: 0
  • rom_1EC000.bin
    256 bytes · Views: 0
  • rom_1F0000.bin
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • rom_003000.bin
    32 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
I choose 3.10MK to edit because I am currently at 3.02. So I would need to flash 3.10 and then downgrade to 3.02, or could I flash the edited 3.02 directly?

I have now hex-edided the 3.10 MK with the data from the dump. Didn't notice that three of them have the hex offset included in their filename when creating my last post.
I don't think that I need to put the fd_fwdate and inq.bin there, as the I would use the date from the MK firmware and the inq is the 3.10 stuff.
inq:
Code:
05 80 00 32 5B 00 00 00 41 53 55 53 20 20 20 20 42 57 2D 31 36 44 31 48 54 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 33 2E 31 30 57 4D 30 31 36 30 31 4B 4C 47 4B 38 53 41 34 38 35 35 20 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
€�2[���ASUS    BW-16D1HT       3.10WM01601KLGK8SA4855  ����������������������������������������

Is my assumption correct?

If yes, the only question remaining is the SN. I couldn't find the place where I have to put it. Could it be 00152650 or 001EC040?
Or would it even be possible to leave it clear, and would it work without a SN? It is a thing on the Switch to avoid banning with Homebrew. So it might work here as well.

Either way, it appears I put the other three files onto the right place and after saving, the filesize is exactly the same. I attached my edited file for you to check. I won't upload the SN file for obvious reasons.
im not sure but none of that is necessary as my post says just flash to WH16NS60 1.00 with the bootloader included with the sdf gui or lg flasher then
go back into dos flash and backup the wh16ns60 1.00
then use the data mover tool to copy the ns60 1.00 data to your correct firmware.
and then write that with dos flash

Ok then, I will try it. I just can not see how that should bring back the data since dosflash erased the chip when I flashed with it. But I will see what happens.

Ok then, I will try it. I just can not see how that should bring back the data since dosflash erased the chip when I flashed with it. But I will see what happens.
ohhh i see.. didnt know you erased it with dosflash...
sorry then i cant setup my dosflash pc right now to test the new way to recover with those files

I just went ahead and flashed it. Can't use it anyway right now. It appears that nothing changed. I can still open the tray as before (luckily), but when I close it (with or without DVD), it doesn't react, just as before. In case you missed it, it isn't unable to read/recognize the disc. It doesn't even check if there is any. After closing the tray, it makes no single noise.
Since I flashed 3.10MK, MakeMKV says patched etc.

Back