• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved Right FW for BU40N?

I just went ahead and flashed it. Can't use it anyway right now. It appears that nothing changed. I can still open the tray as before (luckily), but when I close it (with or without DVD), it doesn't react, just as before. In case you missed it, it isn't unable to read/recognize the disc. It doesn't even check if there is any. After closing the tray, it makes no single noise.
Since I flashed 3.10MK, MakeMKV says patched etc.
What the build date on this drive label?

I cannot boot it on my PC as it doesn't even show up in the boot menu. So I put it back into the case and plugged it into my Laptop (where I also have the option to set AHCI mode, not on my PC). There I can boot it and when I type dosflash, I see this:

When I type dosflash 0, it just throws out a bunch of information, like --help in other programs. Can't even read all of it since it gets cut off at the top of the screen lol.

Please tell me what it means. Won't be able to try it as I have to leave soon.

It seems like you're dealing with an issue related to a drive not showing up in the boot menu and encountering problems when attempting to use dosflash. Here are some steps and considerations to help you troubleshoot:

Drive Not Showing in Boot Menu:​

1. Check SATA Connections:
    • Ensure that the SATA and power cables are securely connected to the drive. Consider trying a different SATA port or cable.
  2. BIOS/UEFI Settings:
    • Enter your computer's BIOS or UEFI settings and verify that the SATA port to which the drive is connected is enabled. Also, check if AHCI mode is enabled.
  3. Update BIOS/UEFI:
    • If your motherboard's BIOS/UEFI firmware is not up-to-date, consider updating it to the latest version, as newer versions may include bug fixes and improved hardware compatibility.

Dosflash Output:​

When you run dosflash and see a list of SATA ports and messages like "SATA Pri Master None" and "No ATAPI devices present," it indicates that the tool is not detecting any compatible optical drives connected to those SATA ports.

Possible Issues:​

1. Incompatible Drive:
    • Ensure that the drive you are trying to flash is compatible with dosflash. Some drives may not be supported, and the tool won't recognize them.
  2. Drive Connection:
    • Confirm that the drive is correctly connected and powered on. Try connecting it to a different SATA port on your laptop.
  3. SATA Controller Mode:
    • Dosflash might require the SATA controller to be in AHCI mode. Check if your laptop's BIOS/UEFI has an option to set the SATA controller mode to AHCI.
  4. Administrator Rights:
    • Ensure that you are running dosflash with administrative privileges to have the necessary permissions for accessing hardware.

Dosflash Syntax:​

When you type "dosflash 0," it seems like you are attempting to use the tool on the first SATA port. However, if there is no compatible drive detected, it may not provide meaningful information.

Caution:​

Be cautious when using dosflash or similar tools, as incorrect usage can lead to unintended consequences, such as damaging the drive or rendering it unusable.
If the issue persists, consider seeking assistance from the community forums associated with dosflash or similar tools, as other users may have encountered similar problems and can provide specific guidance based on their experiences.

I can see that your tips for using dosflash are helpful. However, I am already beyond that point. I had an old PC with IDE setting in BIOS where I could finally boot into dosflash and I could successfully revive the drive with it.
However, I made a silly mistake regarding the instructions where discussing it might have no point here, and the drive doesn't even attempt to check if there is a disc inserted after closing the tray.
So the question is, how can I flash the backup data onto the drive?
If you read my last messages, you will see that I edited the FW file with data from the backup and flashed it, but it hasn't changed anything. (And yes, I can now use SDFtool flasher again, so I hopefully won't need dosflash again).

If anyone wants to know, I was finally able to disable the driver enforcement crap and I can now start dosflash in Windows. Until then, it just ignored the setting when I rebooted with choosing the option in Windows Startup or disabling it in cmd. But when I open it, the drive gets disabled it Device Manager and I got an error message, I think about a conflict or something. If someone wants to know, I can create a screenshot. But as said, I hopefully won't need dosflash again and I don't have an IDE setting on this PC either.

It says 2020 08 28 at the very bottom.
this asus backup has cal data flash it to yours with dos flash and see if it works you will need to go back to wh16ns60 1.00 again to enable dos flash again with the bootloader again.

from what i hear most backups with different caldata work on most drives

Last edited:
The file is 0 bytes in size when I download it. Google Drive also says 0 bytes.

from what i hear most backups with different caldata work on most drives
I also heard that. Question is, where to get such a backup without buying a new drive. Unless someone like you can provide one.

Yes Google now shows me a filesize. I will try it soon.

I tried it again and it shows up as 1) 0xF110 SATA Sec Master ATAPI Asus BW-16D1hT 3.10
However, MTK Vendor Intro failed on port 0xF110. If you choose to resend the command you should turn the drive off and on after you pressed "Yes".
Also, if no, Flash ManufacturerID: 0x00, DeviceID: 0x00 Flash Type: MTK Vendor Intro failed! Flash Size: 0 bytes (0KB)

So I think it is a lost case and I can throw it away now. Thanks everyone for your help and patience.
In case you forgot, I can't even use dosflash for it as it doesn't recognize it properly. For some reason, dosflash 2.0 shows me the option menu anyways (1.6 or 7 hasn't done this), but no matter what I choose, it says Unknown flash chip!
So I flashed WH16 1.0 with SDFtool, but now it doesn't show up in Explorer or device manager anymore (tray still opens and closes fine). Oh, I of course tried the edited FW before that, but it produced an error code.
2023-12-15 - 11-07-56 - SDFtool_Flasher (ERROR).png

And before someone says "you where supposed to use dosflash, not SDF", well, as I said I can't use it and couldn't before I flashed WH16 1.0. So it wasn't even an option at that point.

In case you forgot, I can't even use dosflash for it as it doesn't recognize it properly. For some reason, dosflash 2.0 shows me the option menu anyways (1.6 or 7 hasn't done this), but no matter what I choose, it says Unknown flash chip!
So I flashed WH16 1.0 with SDFtool, but now it doesn't show up in Explorer or device manager anymore (tray still opens and closes fine). Oh, I of course tried the edited FW before that, but it produced an error code.
View attachment 76006

And before someone says "you where supposed to use dosflash, not SDF", well, as I said I can't use it and couldn't before I flashed WH16 1.0. So it wasn't even an option at that point.
You need to flash the bootloader of wh16ns60 1.00 in sdf tool your bootloader still shows at Asus 3.10 as you don't flash with bootloader check or just use the LG flasher a d it will fill flash it

I let it sit for a while, was in stress for the last weeks and that lead to unnecessary mistakes.

I now tried it again, here are the two key takeaways:
-After the last post, I flashed your edited Asus again. I first thought it was gone, but it only didn't show up until the next reboot.
I now attached this 3.01 to the dosflash PC and see and behold, it did not complain like last time (MTK Vendor Intro failed on port 0xF110).
However, it still says Unknown flash chip![/Code] when I choose an option (R/W). I re-attached it to my PC and used SDF with bootloader option to WH1.0 it. (Yes, as you said last time I forgot to check bootloader). Powercycle and flash again. Then I attached it to dosflash, but it still complains about the chip. After that, I tried 3.01 with SDF again (Bootloader checked), but no change. Tray opens and closes, but it does not try to read a disc. Do you have any ideas left, otherwise I will put everything away so I can take care of the other stuff . I won't throw it away since it appears to be half-working, so there is still hope for a fix. But I already wasted two weeks on this, so I won't try it further.

I let it sit for a while, was in stress for the last weeks and that lead to unnecessary mistakes.

I now tried it again, here are the two key takeaways:
-After the last post, I flashed your edited Asus again. I first thought it was gone, but it only didn't show up until the next reboot.
I now attached this 3.01 to the dosflash PC and see and behold, it did not complain like last time (MTK Vendor Intro failed on port 0xF110).
However, it still says Unknown flash chip![/Code] when I choose an option (R/W). I re-attached it to my PC and used SDF with bootloader option to WH1.0 it. (Yes, as you said last time I forgot to check bootloader). Powercycle and flash again. Then I attached it to dosflash, but it still complains about the chip. After that, I tried 3.01 with SDF again (Bootloader checked), but no change. Tray opens and closes, but it does not try to read a disc. Do you have any ideas left, otherwise I will put everything away so I can take care of the other stuff . I won't throw it away since it appears to be half-working, so there is still hope for a fix. But I already wasted two weeks on this, so I won't try it further.
the 3.01 needs to be flashed with dos flash to work.
never seen dos flash say unknown check are you using the one from my video description?
i believe it was modified to support these drives if that dont work then its just dead at this point sorry dont know anything else to try

are you using the one from my video description?
No, I used the one I pulled from the net the entire time. However, by pointing me to your video again, you made me download the Windows PE, flash it and then use your version of dosflash there. (Sitenote: There, it works immediately, I think you pre-configured it already as I can see on the wallpaper, but why the hell does it complain on the normal Windows until you somehow manage to disable that Driver Enforcement stuff? And even then it didn't work as my PC is too new and doesn't have IDE mode).

The first did not work as well, but the one with _BH16NS40 did recognize it and I could dump the firmware (it also showed information in the chip window, the other one didn't).
Then, I flashed your edited 3.01, closed it, opened Explorer and inserted a disc... AND IT SPUN UP AND READ IT!!!!! Although the PE was not able to play it (edit: no Mediaplayer), I was able to access the content of the disc and let it show me the folder with .vob files.

I will re-connect it to my PC tomorrow and test it as it is too late now, but thank you very much for your help. I am pretty sure I annoyed certain people with my dumb doings. However, although it did cost quite a lot of time, I would've never taken a single look at dosflash and all that stuff. And who knows, maybe I will find a drive I can revive with that knowledge some day. So it might pay off at some time. But I will of course leave my drive as-is from now on and only ever flash 3.02 or 3.10MK if I should need it. But no cross-flashs anymore.

Let's just hope it will also work with LibreDrive and create a correct dump (I will make a testrip and compare the hashes to my already existing BU40N rip).

cool glad its finally seeing disc for you yeah i have tons of old asus/lg dumps with cal data from back when i sold drives flashed with dos flash.
i would send backups to people with all the original junk and edited stuff.
came in handy 7 years later lol your sn and stuff will be wrong but who cares.

I quickly copied a small DVD and compared the hash with the rip I already made with another DVD drive. They match.

Then, I inserted an UHD disc and could play it fine. However, it says WARNING: drive's signature of the Dv value seems incorrect!.
I have never seen that before. Is it important? Logfile attached.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.6.8.0_Info_G_SONIC_THE_HEDGEHOG_26A33F59_35E989EF.ziplog
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
I personally use 1.00 on my LG drives, including my bu40n, to give it the most compatibility with different programs.

So I flashed the BU40N with DE 1.00, and UHD ripping works with... another software.

But with AnyDVD I'm getting a bus encryption error. Do I need to install MakeMKV too to use this drive with AnyDVD?

But with AnyDVD I'm getting a bus encryption error. Do I need to install MakeMKV too to use this drive with AnyDVD?
Yes, unless you have a MK firmware like the 3.10MK for Asus BW-16D1HT, then you need to have MakeMKV installed in order to use AnyDVD.
1. install it
2. start AnyDVD
3. insert Disc.
4. AnyDVD will do everything. You do not have to open MakeMKV yourself or whatever.

Last edited:
Back