• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved: Update virus definitions] AVG confirmed false positive with AnyDVD 6.5.4.4

Web. your kind of hard on AVG... I would rather over protect than under to protect my exspensive computer. any way easy fix, relax...

Web. your kind of hard on AVG

Maybe, but it's not as though I don't have evidence to support my claims.

... I would rather over protect than under to protect my exspensive computer.

Are you really overprotected?

AVG has a lower detection rate than most antvirus programs in the AV Comparative February 2009 report: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/ondret/avc_report21.pdf. Only Sophos, Command, Norman, Microsoft, and Kingsoft missed more samples than AVG.

So in addition to missing more virus samples on average, AVG also has a moderately high false positive detection rate.

Moreover, AVG has also had a poor test history with Virus Bulletin (but has improved since 2007):

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/results?vendor=VE10

VB100 Results Overview: AVG (Grisoft)
26 Success / 22 Failure / 15 No Entry

Virus Bulletin and AV-Comparatives focus solely on antivirus products, and both are respected sources for antivirus testing. Anti-Malware is another (but it's a Russian source): http://www.anti-malware-test.com/. In Anti-Malware's latest test, AVG performed better than in AV-Comparatives' February 2009 testing, but AVG still fails to take the top award.

Anyway, the bottom line is that Anydvd does not contain a virus or trojan.

any way easy fix, relax...

I am relaxed.

I got the alarm myself, sent them a report, they replied saying they acknowledge it is a false positive indeed. The next Definitions update will fix the false positive.

So AnyDVD 6.5.4.4 is fine, it's not infected by a virus, AVG made a mistake.

Thank you very much for the update.

I am going to do something that I rarely do: I am going to spam your post around a little bit in these forums. 8)

Used many AV's...Pay4, free & for bizz...AVG does just fine. They all miss & mess up.Lost 2 comps to norton prem.

Used many AV's...Pay4, free & for bizz...AVG does just fine.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. If AVG improves in the future, I'll change my opinion.

They all miss & mess up.

Very true

Very very true

No antivirus program is immune to false positives.

However, some antivirus programs do mess up a lot more frequently than others.

Lost 2 comps to norton prem.

Understandable

Apparently Symantec has really started to clean up its act.

Last edited:
Sorry one of my mods made a that for my forum as I post anydvd announcements there as well. Although I agree they look alike I imagine everyone has the same view?

It was fixed for 4.3, not yet fixed for 4.4.......

So, know we start all over again. Hmm doesn't sound good company to do business with or use their product.

Good thing I use ESET Smart Security

I got the alarm myself, sent them a report, they replied saying they acknowledge it is a false positive indeed. The next Definitions update will fix the false positive.

So AnyDVD 6.5.4.4 is fine, it's not infected by a virus, AVG made a mistake.

Thanks for the update

New AVG update just out has now fixed the false positive virus report for ver 4.4.

New AVG update just out has now fixed the false positive virus report for ver 4.4.

Very good.
AVG has added AnyDVD to the whitelist.

Something to keep in mind:
Now, since AnyDVD always has a digital signature "SlySoft inc.", virus scanners have an effective means to ensure that AnyDVD (or any other signed application) has not been tampered with or infected.
Surprisingly, at least some virus scanners don't make use of this simple and pretty effective method - so in case any virus scanner reports AnyDVD to be a virus, simply DIY: right click on the exe, choose properties and have a look at the signature.
If Windows reports it to be a) valid, b) from SlySoft and c) trusted, you can be absolutely sure, that it is not infected, unless you suspect us to have created a virus ourselves...

Themida Virus in AnyDVD 6.5.4.4

I just installed AnyDVD 6.5.4.4 from the slysoft web site. My virus detection program, AVG 8.5.287 detected the win32/themida virus in AnyDVDtray.exe and moved the .exe to the virus vault. So I can't use AnyDVD. Please advise. Thanks.

Rick

I just installed AnyDVD 6.5.4.4 from the slysoft web site. My virus detection program, AVG 8.5.287 detected the win32/themida virus in AnyDVDtray.exe and moved the .exe to the virus vault. So I can't use AnyDVD. Please advise. Thanks.

Rick

I've merged your thread into an existing thread.

Same here. I can't bypass it to launch the app either.

If you had both taken the time to read the thread titles in the AnyDVD forum you'd see that you posted this right above this long thread which discusses the topic.

This is a false-positive. In order to install the software you need to set up an exception for AnyDVD read this thread for more information.

and according to my copy of AVG it has a virus in it. According to AVG it is infected with win32/themida and the file infected is humm the anydvdtray.exe I think it said.. any ideas?

if this is a false positive Im a happy camper but... avg will not allow the file to be installed.

AVG Update 270.12.11/2089 corrects false positive

Just did an update to AVG to Virus DB 270.12.11/2089 at 5:45pm CT and the update corrected the false positive.

:clap::D:rock:

AVG is calling the new AnyDVD 6544 a virus??

Threat name: Virus identified Win32/Themida

Is anyone else getting this? I followed the link from the update notification.

Back