• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved: Update virus definitions] AVG confirmed false positive with AnyDVD 6.5.4.4

Update/AVG fix...

Make this exception in AVG's Resident Shield (C:\Program Files\SlySoft\AnyDVD\) in AVG. - EXIT out of AVG @ tray icon - download update - restart computer...

Then when AVG fixes problem . just uncheck the exception. I just wanted to use it today not wait till AVG fix...

Conversely, I have made a conscious decision to avoid antivirus software that limits me from doing what I want. In other words, I try to avoid situations where antivirus programs become malware.

Right, anydvd, up to 6540, is doing what i want. We'll see later.

Apologies for my two cents but Slysoft (who I respect and from whom I have purchased 4 different programs) might be falling into the same category of Sony-likes with their infamous Music CDs in 2005, flooding users' computers with rk-crap to avoid being defeated by the adversary. I do not certainly like that, I'm sorry to say. Or at least, I should be warned before installing the product. Then it is my own decision if I want to have Themida sh.t in my machine or not.

a) Not all rootkits are bad (the Sony one definitely was . . . But Daemon Tools at one point used a rootkit to hide itself from the OS to avoid blacklisting issues . . . is Daemon Tools evil? I don't think so.)

b) An encrypted file is not a rootkit

c) If all encrypted files are bad, I suggest you turn off your computer immediately and never use it again.

Last edited:
think the bandaid didn't quite work, which is unfortunate for slysoft, at best themida 'lasted' 2 days

As James noted the change wasn't made to prevent piracy but rather to help prevent Macrovision and Sony from "looking at [Slysoft's] secrets": click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=193691&postcount=13

was it really worth the customer inconvenience it caused for that time?

That's a good question. Honestly, I don't know. I sure hope so.

Last edited:
AVG confirmed false positive with AnyDVD 6.5.4.4

I got the alarm myself, sent them a report, they replied saying they acknowledge it is a false positive indeed. The next Definitions update will fix the false positive.

So AnyDVD 6.5.4.4 is fine, it's not infected by a virus, AVG made a mistake.

AVG found Virus in 6.5.4.1 and and 6.5.4.3

I got the alarm myself, sent them a report, they replied saying they acknowledge it is a false positive indeed. The next Definitions update will fix the false positive.

6.5.4.4 2009 04 29 has a virus?

AVG reports Anydvd as a virus/how to fix

a) Not all rootkits are bad

b) An encrypted file is not a rootkit

c) If all encrypted files are bad, I suggest you turn off your computer immediately and never use it again.

a) You are right. However, I suspect that you know something about software and you surely know that the weapon is not responsible but who fires it.

b) same.

c) Thanks for the neat suggestion. However, may I say that in this tone we are not going anywhere? If you feel attacked look elsewhere else cause it was not my intention.
As I said, because I like the folks at slysoft I take the time to write these silly lines.

and I do not antagonize anymore with you, sorry for having you believing that.

I am not complaining nor looking for a solution (what you call solution is hiding your head in the hole). I would like slysoft to stop using themida. I understand their (valid) interest but don't agree with them in this case. If they cannot do something else to protect themsleves from sony-macromedia, well, that's their fair right.

a) You are right. However, I suspect that you know something about software and you surely know that the weapon is not responsible but who fires it.

I edited my previous post to add information. Anyway . . .
Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%, at one point, used rootkits (they still might) to hide themselves from the OS to avoid blacklisting issues for game copy protection emulation purposes. Is Daemon Tools evil? I don't think so. Is that rootkit malicious? No.

If you feel attacked

I don't. And I also don't work for Slysoft.

what you call solution is hiding your head in the hole

Ummm . . . If you say so

There's something wrong when AVG is triggering false positives from a file when other antivirus products that generally produce more false positives than AVG and, at the same time, also catch more real virus/trojan samples than AVG, do not trigger false positives with the same file.

"Hiding [my] head in a hole" would be not reporting a false positive/bug to an antivirus provider. "Hiding [my] head in a hole" would be incorrectly equating a rootkit with an encrypted file. "Hiding [my] head in a hole" would be not using a legitimate program because my antivirus product wrongly prohibits me from doing so.

Last edited:

Thank you for the update

Back