• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Resolved] AnyDVD HD 6.5.0.7 & PowerDVD Ultra 8.0.2430.50

This is the same issue I described for PowerDVD DX (DELL) several weeks ago: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=22044&highlight=dell
This (and the fact that "Iron Man"-German could not be played with the DELL-Edition) was the reason I purchased "PowerDVD 8 Ultra".
And now we have the same problem with "PowerDVD 8 Ultra" ... This is really sad news.

Okay, I do remember that thread now.

I've sent a private message to James and Peer. That's all I can do at this time.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens, I find it odd they release the new version as a full release but not as an upgrade

For PowerDVD 8, version "2430" means it was released on 30 Dec 2008. It might take a few days before it appears as an update, too.

As I mentioned in the original thread, the error message is NOT caused by using a virtual drive.
If "AnyDVD (HD)" is enabled, "PowerDVD 8 Ultra" does not play any Blu-ray disc from the physical BD-ROM drive, either.

If this is the case then, what this means is that you'll have to make unprotected ISOs since you won't be able to use AnyDVD HD during playback.

AnyDVD will still be usefull however as you'll need it to create the ISO.

This is rediculous, Slysoft should not have to keep trying to work around Cyberlinks weaknesses. With a limited amount of time and rum punch, they need to devote thier resources to CloneBD:D

Well this version is definitely stopping originals from working, but my unprotected ISO's work whether AnyDVD HD is running or not. I'm going to make a protected ISO and try that

Do not post in nor create multiple threads about the exact same thing please. Click the link in my signature, and read fully. Thank you

Webslinger: It might help if you'd check that his double-post isn't the same exact thread (this very thread) :D:D

In other words, he provided what he thought is another thread but is actually this very one. :D:D

If this is the case then, what this means is that you'll have to make unprotected ISOs since you won't be able to use AnyDVD HD during playback.

AnyDVD will still be usefull however as you'll need it to create the ISO.
Well this version is definitely stopping originals from working, but my unprotected ISO's work whether AnyDVD HD is running or not. I'm going to make a protected ISO and try that
Are you both sure, that unprotected ISO files mounted with "Virtual Clone Drive" work with this new "PowerDVD 8 Ultra" build?

If i remember correctly (I don't have this new "PowerDVD 8 Ultra" build for testing, yet), the DELL edition (which seems to have the same restrictions), does not play from any virtual drives, also.
The reason as far as I know: The official Blu-ray specifications demand AACS copy protection obligatory. Any Blu-ray disc should have this. To be compliant with the Blu-ray board CyberLink implemented a check of this in their new "PowerDVD" builds, and if copy protection is not found, "PowerDVD" does not play the (virtual or real) disc.

This would mean, that the new "PowerDVD" builds won't play unprotected ISOs, also.

Not to mention the fact that (from what I understand), they STILL haven't gotten keyboard shortcuts working for most blu-ray discs, which is a major problem for those of us using remotes and such. (Then again, I hear the latest posted PowerDVD patch also breaks keyboard shortcuts too :bang:)

I use a cheapo Vista Media Center remote I ordered from Newegg and it works with the integrated 10foot Arcsoft add in just fine.

Well it works with my unprotected ISO's built exactly as shown in the guide in my sig. And you're wrong, AACS is only required in pressed BD-roms, not on BDMV structure discs you make yourself

Last edited:
Are you both sure, that unprotected ISO files mounted with "Virtual Clone Drive" work with this new "PowerDVD 8 Ultra" build?

If i remember correctly (I don't have this new "PowerDVD 8 Ultra" build for testing, yet), the DELL edition (which seems to have the same restrictions), does not play from any virtual drives, also.
The reason as far as I know: The official Blu-ray specifications demand AACS copy protection obligatory. Any Blu-ray disc should have this. To be compliant with the Blu-ray board CyberLink implemented a check of this in their new "PowerDVD" builds, and if copy protection is not found, "PowerDVD" does not play the (virtual or real) disc.

This would mean, that the new "PowerDVD" builds won't play unprotected ISOs, also.

Well, i can't speak for the Dell OEM restrictions as i don't have that. However, it would be incredibly stupid of them to remove playback of Blu Ray compliant media if it doesn't have AACS. That would mean you couldn't play back any home videos created using Blu Ray speck in powerdvd. People usually pull percents out of their arse (i do 90% of the time :D), but i would be pretty certain that they are giving the finger to a HUGE chuck of thier user base.

My guess is that it is doing a check for AnyDVD and preventing playback if it finds it. I don't think they would be crazy enough to remove ISO playback totally....but then again they were crazy enough to remove HD DVD playback after touting it as a feature so you never know:doh:

Well it works with my unprotected ISO's built exactly as shown in the guide in my sig. And you're wrong, AACS is only required in pressed BD-roms, not on BDMV structure discs you make yourself
Do you have this latest "PowerDVD 8 Ultra" build 2430 and did already test with it?

My guess is that it is doing a check for AnyDVD and preventing playback if it finds it.
This would be lame. My guess is, that they use additional or different checks if the disc inserted is a BDROM. There are many ways to check this, AnyDVD currently only implemented those used by current players (PowerDVD, WinDVD, TMT).
.iso Images mounted with latest VCD beta shouldn't be affected.
But I'll need to have this new PowerDVD version to check myself.

It looks like the same behaviour as reported before with Dell OEM version. My current guess is that PowerDVD now performs AACS authentication with the drive even if the disc does not have AACS.
I don't think they can do that. AACS authentication won't work with unprotected discs. Maybe they just changed the media check, and can see, that the disc is a BD-ROM even with AnyDVD trying to make it look like a BD-R.

Well it still plays back my BD-r's with AnyDVD HD running and removing the BD-live on the fly

Do you have this latest "PowerDVD 8 Ultra" build 2430 and did already test with it?
Yes

Original Blu-ray won't play if AnyDVD HD 6.5.0.7 is active.
Blu-ray ripped with AnyDVD HD 6.5.0.7 without protection and mounted with Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.1.1 won't play with AnyDVD HD active or inactive.

You need to make the ISO's as shown in the guide in my sig to get them to work, it's looking for extra empty folders that may be missing from the original disc

Blu-ray ripped with AnyDVD HD 6.5.0.7 without protection and mounted with Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.1.1 won't play with AnyDVD HD active or inactive.
How about latest "Virtual Clone Drive 5.4.1.3 beta"?

I don't think they can do that. AACS authentication won't work with unprotected discs.

I don't know whether they can do it or not (perhaps they could just check drive's aacs capability by asking it something and analysing its reply without any linkage to the currently inserted disc), but according to what Adbear reports, they don't do it (yet :)) and this is a good news! :) So I guess it won't take long to adjust AnyDVD for this update's behaviour, but you should probably be prepared for worse in the future, in which case you will have to deal with drive certificates etc...

Last edited:
You need to make the ISO's as shown in the guide in my sig to get them to work, it's looking for extra empty folders that may be missing from the original disc
Well, if this works, then it would be great, if Slysoft either

1. implements the option/function to "AnyDVD", if you create an unprotected ISO file from a Blu-ray disc, that these missing folders are magically "inserted" into the ISO image automatically (so that you do not need to rip it to the hard disk first and then use ImgBurn to create an ISO file later); or

2. change "Virtual Clone Drive", so that it "emulates" these missing folders automatically, if a Blu-ray image is loaded.

This way, it would be easier to use unprotected ISO files.

Webslinger: It might help if you'd check that his double-post isn't the same exact thread (this very thread) :D:D

In other words, he provided what he thought is another thread but is actually this very one. :D:D

It's not. I merged his post from the Anydvd release thread into this one. Otherwise, I wouldn't have written anything (I perceive having to write anything as work).

Last edited:
Back