• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 22 Ultra Release Date Jan. 22, 2024 Build Number 3526 patch

the only thing that can still be owned are movies on home media, but when I see what powerDVD did, windows can easily do it and that's it, it can remove the driver for reading BLU-RAY DVDs and that's it
You don't own them. You only acquired the license to watch them; even so, they are on a disc.

You don't own them. You only acquired the license to watch them; even so, they are on a disc.
I meant ownership in the sense that the data cannot be stolen because they are not connected to the Internet

Won't PowerDVD 22 will eventually stop working correctly if updates are not made because we want to watch 4K discs. Don't some new windows updates
effect software programs that force companies like Cyberlink to make updates to their software?

Meh. First off, you're on the redfox forum which means we don't care about drm. Without drm, what "updates" are you thinking you need? People are still running powerdvd 10 without issue. As for windows updates, maybe when windows 12 is released it'll be an issue but that's a big maybe.

So no, this is not an issue people need to lay awake thinking about.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk

I am only talking about the possibility of a future windows update effecting PowerDVD 22 operation that forces Cyberlink to take action, not worried about DRM. If people are still running PowerDVD 10 than there probably won't ever be an issue. I am not a software guy, just was wondering.....

It's not something I'd worry too much about until Windows switches to ARM architecture. But even then, I could check on that easily enough and see where that puts us. Honestly, PowerDVD is well past jumping the shark at this point. It was useful in the day before we had the many other options we have now. If it ceases to work at some future point, well, it's not like there aren't replacements for it. I get that some people like PowerDVD as a player and that's fine but it's clear Cyberlink is moving on.

It's not something I'd worry too much about until Windows switches to ARM architecture. But even then, I could check on that easily enough and see where that puts us. Honestly, PowerDVD is well past jumping the shark at this point. It was useful in the day before we had the many other options we have now. If it ceases to work at some future point, well, it's not like there aren't replacements for it. I get that some people like PowerDVD as a player and that's fine but it's clear Cyberlink is moving on.
cyberlink has betrayed its customers, then the question is whether piracy will rise again and become the only option

cyberlink has betrayed its customers, then the question is whether piracy will rise again and become the only option
'Rise again??'

I have some friends that aren't really tech savvy, and they already know nowadays how to get digital downloads illegally of the latest movies/tv shows/etc.

A decade and a half ago, I was trying to get them to learn how to rip their legally bought DVDs via AnyDVD and CloneDVD2/DVDShrink.

I love RedFox/elby products simply because I'd rather make a backup copy of anything that I purchased legally.

I'm not interested in the scene, or anything close to that.

I'm also not interested in trying to infect my laptops with potential viruses and malware whenever you go on sites where you can get copies of the latest movies/tv shows/etc.

'Rise again??'

I have some friends that aren't really tech savvy, and they already know nowadays how to get digital downloads illegally of the latest movies/tv shows/etc.

A decade and a half ago, I was trying to get them to learn how to rip their legally bought DVDs via AnyDVD and CloneDVD2/DVDShrink.

I love RedFox/elby products simply because I'd rather make a backup copy of anything that I purchased legally.

I'm not interested in the scene, or anything close to that.

I'm also not interested in trying to infect my laptops with potential viruses and malware whenever you go on sites where you can get copies of the latest movies/tv shows/etc.
I am afraid that the physical legal copy of movies will soon end, I think that CYBERLINK has sent a clear signal and what will be left of NETFLIX APLE and various others or piracy, I think that people who value their money will not want to pay subscriptions to these giants

I keep hearing that nonsense about the death of physical media. Let me know when it arrives. For reference, try and buy a UHD copy of Oppenheimer. You know, the disc that came out in November that's sold out everywhere because it's still in the top 10 movie sales on disc. I thought best buy getting out of the physical disc business might be the end and speculated as much. But after a LOT of research, I found that best buy is just moronic and that walmart and Amazon are on top of it. As for the production of discs themselves, while it's true that the studios are taking a hands off approach, what they are doing is licensing their older titles for smaller disc companies like Kino Lorber and others to create really amazing physical releases. Expect that trend to accelerate not disappear. With directors themselves espousing the benefits of disc, it's not going anywhere. It may become more niche, but, that's been true many times throughout the history of discs.

I am afraid that the physical legal copy of movies will soon end, I think that CYBERLINK has sent a clear signal and what will be left of NETFLIX APLE and various others or piracy, I think that people who value their money will not want to pay subscriptions to these giants
Just like CDs and LP records, there will always be a market for them, but no where near what their rates were at the height of their respective popularity and sales numbers.

The thing is we need (and also to get the younger generations below us to be motivated as well) to make sure that Blu-ray discs and DVDs will stay profitable enough, similar to CDs and LP records, so that they'll always be made.

@SamuriHL just now added more facts above my post here to what I'm saying, so I'll defer to his expertise on the subject.

I keep hearing that nonsense about the death of physical media. Let me know when it arrives. For reference, try and buy a UHD copy of Oppenheimer. You know, the disc that came out in November that's sold out everywhere because it's still in the top 10 movie sales on disc. I thought best buy getting out of the physical disc business might be the end and speculated as much. But after a LOT of research, I found that best buy is just moronic and that walmart and Amazon are on top of it. As for the production of discs themselves, while it's true that the studios are taking a hands off approach, what they are doing is licensing their older titles for smaller disc companies like Kino Lorber and others to create really amazing physical releases. Expect that trend to accelerate not disappear. With directors themselves espousing the benefits of disc, it's not going anywhere. It may become more niche, but, that's been true many times throughout the history of discs.
People like acclaimed Hollywood director Christopher Nolan is a big-time fan of physical media.

In fact, he highly recommended people to watch his movies (4K UHD Blu-ray format, of course) on big screen tv sets, with the home movie owner watching his movies in that way.

I believe that Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg themselves are also a big fan of physical media as well.

Just like CDs and LP records, there will always be a market for them, but no where near what their rates were at the height of their respective popularity and sales numbers.

The thing is we need (and also to get the younger generations below us to be motivated as well) to make sure that Blu-ray discs and DVDs will stay profitable enough, similar to CDs and LP records, so that they'll always be made.

@SamuriHL just now added more facts above my post here to what I'm saying, so I'll defer to his expertise on the subject.

People are finally seeing streaming for what it is and they are PISSED OFF about it. It's one thing for them to keep raising rates, and rest assured given the comments from people like the CEO of Warner (who owns Max) that there's a lot of "value" left to exploit (meaning more price increases coming our way), and the fact that they keep removing content even for things people have actually "bought" (narrator: if it's digital, you didn't buy jack shit other than a potentially limited license on the service you paid). People have had enough. Case in point, go find Star Trek right now. It's on Paramount+ right? Bzzzzt, wrong answer but if you'd like to play the bonus round, you can find some of it on Netflix and most of it on Max. That's right, it's been pulled from Paramount+ so Max can take a stab at it. I know where I can find all of it. On my book shelf and NAS. And that won't be changing.

People like acclaimed Hollywood director Christopher Nolan is a big-time fan of physical media.

In fact, he highly recommended people to watch his movies (4K UHD Blu-ray format, of course) on big screen tv sets, with the home movie owner watching his movies in that way.

I believe that Martin Scorsese is also a big fan of physical media as well.

Del Toro, and a bunch of others all came out in favor of it. It's their comments that floored me. Nolan doesn't want you watching it on streaming because he doesn't want them to rip you off. LMAO Wow. Not to mention that he personally oversaw the color grading and audio on Oppenheimer for UHD. They all want people to enjoy their work properly. Which is to go see it on the biggest screen possible (I always do as I have a regal ultimate pass and can go see whatever movie I want whenever I want) and then buy it on physical disc to watch on the biggest possible home theater screen you can. They DO NOT want you watching things like Oppenheimer or Dune on a goddamn phone.

People are finally seeing streaming for what it is and they are PISSED OFF about it. It's one thing for them to keep raising rates, and rest assured given the comments from people like the CEO of Warner (who owns Max) that there's a lot of "value" left to exploit (meaning more price increases coming our way), and the fact that they keep removing content even for things people have actually "bought" (narrator: if it's digital, you didn't buy jack shit other than a potentially limited license on the service you paid). People have had enough. Case in point, go find Star Trek right now. It's on Paramount+ right? Bzzzzt, wrong answer but if you'd like to play the bonus round, you can find some of it on Netflix and most of it on Max. That's right, it's been pulled from Paramount+ so Max can take a stab at it. I know where I can find all of it. On my book shelf and NAS. And that won't be changing.
And as anyone is aware, I'm a fan of that particular series (All of them, even Enterprise, in which I'm mostly ok with). I only watch all versions Star Trek on Blu-ray, and I don't even bother with digital.

Del Toro, and a bunch of others all came out in favor of it. It's their comments that floored me. Nolan doesn't want you watching it on streaming because he doesn't want them to rip you off. LMAO Wow. Not to mention that he personally oversaw the color grading and audio on Oppenheimer for UHD. They all want people to enjoy their work properly. Which is to go see it on the biggest screen possible (I always do as I have a regal ultimate pass and can go see whatever movie I want whenever I want) and then buy it on physical disc to watch on the biggest possible home theater screen you can. They DO NOT want you watching things like Oppenheimer or Dune on a goddamn phone.
Nolan even hates the fact that some would watch some of his earlier films on a phone, like The Dark Knight, and I see his point.

And as anyone is aware, I'm a fan of that particular series (All of them, even Enterprise, in which I'm mostly ok with). I only watch all versions Star Trek on Blu-ray, and I don't even bother with digital.

Yes, I need to pick up Prodigy on blu-ray soon. I have all except Voyage and DS9 on disc. TOS, TNG, Picard, SNW, (will get Discovery once they do a set after season 5), etc. All the original and TNG movies, you name it I got it on disc in the highest quality it can be bought in. For SNW that's UHD. For Picard that was blu-ray. Disc is disc. I'm good with that.

Nolan even hates the fact that some would watch some of his earlier films on a phone, like The Dark Knight, and I see his point.

I couldn't even imagine trying. I have a 77" G2 OLED and all his movies look glorious on it on UHD. Tenet, the DK trilogy, Inception, Oppenheimer....all excellent. While I have a really nice phone (S24 Ultra with 2600 nits of HDR to play with), um, NO.

Back to Cyberlink....if they lost their license with the AACS LA then it's POSSIBLE they were forced to remove the filters required to play UHD structures. BUT....they can play blu-ray so that argument wouldn't hold a lot of weight with me when it comes to unprotected discs. Totally get why they removed protected playback for UHD. But unprotected ISO, folder, or disc playback? Even if they lost their license, I can't imagine they'd be compelled to remove support. This is a slimy deal on their end especially in their marketing on this. And it royally pisses me off. That's why I readded UHD support to their latest PowerDVD22 patch. I'm unamused.

if what is said here is true, then I absolutely do not understand CYBERLINK's step, it would not make sense, I wanted to ask them about it, I cannot find their e-mail contact, I cannot call them, I do not speak English well, their step of ending support for UHD discs would, according to what you say didn't make sense

Back