• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Plex tv show organization.

HFD778

Hello, I’m not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this. But for those who are using any stream for TV series, how are you naming the files so Plex automatically organizes the show into proper season / episode?

Simply put the files into a folder with the proper name of the show. AS naming convention adheres to Plex scanner per the standard S##E##.

Here is the Show Template I use and it works as expected. Although, sometimes if the show is a reboot it will get the wrong one. You just have to fix the match and choose the right year in Plex.
Code:
%n/Season %s/%n - S%sE%e - %t

Last edited:
Hello, I’m not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this.
No problem, I do not use Plex but I am sure the other members can give you a lot of help. Enjoy the program.;)

So I use Plex heavily and what everyone is saying is correct with one caveat. You can now put all the files under one folder. You no longer need a Season folder per season. I mean you can do that if you wish you just no longer have too.

So this works for me.

SHOW NAME (Folder)
|
Show Name - S01E01 - Description.mp4
Show Name - S02E01 - Description.mp4

With that said I have used season folders and not used them, either way works fine.

Similar to the previous replies. My "TV Show" folder/repository, as an example, looks something like this: TV Shows / Dennis the Menace / Season 01 / Dennis the Menace - S01E01 - So Long Old Paint.mp4

https://support.plex.tv/articles/naming-and-organizing-your-tv-show-files/

Plex no longer requires that seasons reside in their own seasonal folder. You can drop them all in the same folder so long as it's titled correctly. TVShows / Stranger things / S01E01 through S04E01 all in the same folder is acceptable.

So I use Plex heavily and what everyone is saying is correct with one caveat. You can now put all the files under one folder. You no longer need a Season folder per season. I mean you can do that if you wish you just no longer have too.

So this works for me.

SHOW NAME (Folder)
|
Show Name - S01E01 - Description.mp4
Show Name - S02E01 - Description.mp4

With that said I have used season folders and not used them, either way works fine.

This. Plex is not very demanding for file names. You really need the show name, season number, and episode number. The rest is not needed, and just for your benefit. Plex get the episode name from the agent you have it set up to use, and the resolution from the file itself.

Here is the Show Template I use and it works as expected. Although, sometimes if the show is a reboot it will get the wrong one. You just have to fix the match and choose the right year in Plex.
Code:
%n/Season %s/%n - S%sE%e - %t

And for the movies. There is one in particular but I lost it a long time ago.

Hello, I’m not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this. But for those who are using any stream for TV series, how are you naming the files so Plex automatically organizes the show into proper season / episode?

I use Filebot to move and rename my movie/series files since I first download them to my pc do do this, which then moves them and renames them simultaneously to my NAS. the only issue I have been having is that some .forced or .cc subtitles sometimes have to be manually fixed (wont put the .forced or .cc at the end of the title string). since it draws from the same database as plex does it has been renaming them just fine but it does require you to verify it picked the correct series or movie, it gets confused from time to time but its easy enough to fix. anyway the string I use is here and it covers subtitles too:

/TV Shows/{n}/{'Season '+s}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t}{subt}
/Movies/{n}/{ny}{' CD'+pi}{subt}

Any good tips for naming shows that on the streaming platform are combined but are organized on tv show databases separately? e.g. Spongebob in Paramount+ for season 1 is 20 episodes but on TVDB & TMDB is 41 episodes?

The only way I know to solve this is manually go over each episode and using the plex multi-episode format. For some tv shows like spongebob this is god aweful since there are so many

Any good tips for naming shows that on the streaming platform are combined but are organized on tv show databases separately? e.g. Spongebob in Paramount+ for season 1 is 20 episodes but on TVDB & TMDB is 41 episodes?

The only way I know to solve this is manually go over each episode and using the plex multi-episode format. For some tv shows like spongebob this is god aweful since there are so many

Honestly? When it comes to discrepancies like that manual is all you can do. Now and then I have the same issue and sometimes to the point I have to play the episode for a min to see which one it really is.

You can sometimes use the Aired or DVD order listing on TheTVDB and see if they match then go into the shows settings in plex and change this to match it will sometimes save you the hassle of renaming (renumbering) the files. Sorry I know this is very spec to Plex and not really the proper fforum but figured I would still provide a answer

well you could split the file giving you the individual files for your viewing pleasure or go with the multi episode naming for plex to "see" it. its been a while since I had to do it but i think MKVToolNix can do this.....just have to set the splits in the output tab and remux

I just figured out what you are asking, in this case (multiple episodes per file) I personally just tend to use the Plex naming convention for multi episode files.

Back