• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Nero 9.0.9.4d released

Has anyone here run into a problem with Nero telling you that you've installed it too many times? Apparently, it would seem that your installations do get tracked. I remember reading in the Nero forums about a user who couldn't reinstall and contacted Nero and they didn't do much. I believe the moderator contacted someone they knew and the situation was resolved. In this case I believe the user only had reinstalled on the same system after reformats, etc.

I did run into an annoyance, myself, when I had Nero installed on two systems during my migration from my old system to my new one. I don't remember what the exact message was but it essentially let me know that somehow it knew I had it on 2 systems. It didn't totally kill my ability to install it, however.

I'm referring to Nero8 here so I can't believe it got any better with Nero9.

Has anyone here run into a problem with Nero telling you that you've installed it too many times? Apparently, it would seem that your installations do get tracked. I remember reading in the Nero forums about a user who couldn't reinstall and contacted Nero and they didn't do much. I believe the moderator contacted someone they knew and the situation was resolved. In this case I believe the user only had reinstalled on the same system after reformats, etc.

I did run into an annoyance, myself, when I had Nero installed on two systems during my migration from my old system to my new one. I don't remember what the exact message was but it essentially let me know that somehow it knew I had it on 2 systems. It didn't totally kill my ability to install it, however.

I'm referring to Nero8 here so I can't believe it got any better with Nero9.

Now that's the kind of thing I take issue with. Say what you will about MS, Adobe, and those games; but at least they're all upfront about the activation feature. This thing in Nero sounds more like discrete product monitoring, and I don't have difficulty believe it'd be a lot harder to call someone to resolve your issue than it is with the more direct activation (as the program to be activated gives you the number you need to call).

I'd have hoped, though, that anyone silly enough to upgrade to 8 would've gone back to 7, or maybe 6. Nero 8 and 9 aren't worth it.

However, how long does it take these people to beat a game? Once they have, a lot of people have no further interest in playing; unless it's an MMO.

There are some games I've reinstalled and played again years later. I paid; I should be able to play again if I want to.

I've still got Bioshock on my computer, actually (another activation limit game, but at least when you uninstall it, you gain back the activation), not because I enjoy it so much as I'm having trouble getting interested enough to finish it.

Last edited:
Has anyone here run into a problem with Nero telling you that you've installed it too many times?

It's not a "too many times" issue . . .

It checks to see if you've installed it on a different system. If so, then it basically asks you if you've changed your hardware or wish to change the activation to the system you just tried running it on.

It's a bit like Alcohol's hardware activation system. It's really annoying, especially for people who dual boot OSes on the same computer. Boot into another OS, and the program considers you to be using a different computer.

Looks like Nero9 has another update. Nero 9.0.9.4d is now released. Have fun with the epoch long installation/update process!

Nero 9.0.9.4d is now released. Have fun with the epoch long installation/update process!

This sucks. :(

Nero 9 customers who purchased a Downloadable Version (not Retail Box) or currently have Nero 9 Trial version, must follow the steps below to take advantage of the latest Nero 9 Update

Step 1: Run the Nero Clean Tool - this uninstalls your previous version of Nero 9 in preparation for the current Nero 9 update. Nero Clean Tool will also uninstall the following applications - Nero Move it, Nero BackItUp 4 and Nero MediaHome 4 - if installed on your computer. Please make sure to keep record of your current serial numbers for reinstallation of these applications.

Step 2: Download and Install the latest Nero 9 Product Update.

Step 3: Enter in your current Nero 9 serial number to complete installation process.

Step 4: If you own other Nero products (such as Nero BackItUp, Nero Move it, Nero Media Home) you will need to reinstall these products individually.

If you experience any installation issues, please contact Support.

This Software requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 to run on Windows XP

Template packs

Nero 9 is now offering Template packs (various menus).

Nero 9 customers also received Nero Back It Up for free (not that I care).

Last edited:
Sounds like fun. Rather sad when you dread a software update for a program you are running and needing to jump through hoops like this is insane.

I just get to sit back and laugh now. I completely dumped Nero for good the other day. Once it was great but now it's nothing more than a behemoth. Every Nero feature can be had elsewhere and the alternative solution will be better, IMHO.

Nero/Nero Express -> ImgBurn
Nero Vision -> DVDFlick, FAVC, ConvertXtoDVD, etc
Nero Recode -> DVD Rebuilder, DVD Shrink <-- I still always rip with CloneDVD or the AnyDVD ripper to my HDD first!
Nero BackItUp -> Acronis True Image
Nero ShowTime -> PowerDVD
Nere WavEditor -> Audacity, Wavosaur, Sound Forge [the old versions are better before Sony made it something I didn't like but the older versions (ie v8.0) won't install under Vista without Net Framework 1.1 and 1.1 SP1 which when you go to install are told can cause incompatibilities], etc
Nero CoverDesigner -> Not really sure. I'm going to miss this one
Nero ToolKit -> These files you can set aside somewhere else, uninstall Nero and move back. They are self-contained and still work.
etc...

Last edited:
While I love imgburn, it just doesn't do everything I want. I still find Nero Burning Rom is the best in its class. But I could definitely live without Nero 9.

Until the last 6 months I would have agreed. Nero as a burner is great however I have found that ImgBurn is rock solid and far smaller. I have not used Nero to burn in ages and not had a single problem with ImgBurn. ImgBurn didn't win me over as a new user due to all its great features as much as Nero lost me as a customer because they are morons.

Nero is the de factor Windows standard and has been since before XP hit the market. Now they've gone in a direction I'm not interested in following nor wasting my money on. They want me to pay for updates for this garbage? No thanks. ImgBurn has remained solid and the same while getting better as time goes on.

Nero Vision -> DVDFlick, FAVC, ConvertXtoDVD, etc

I tend to use Sony DVD Architect, or Adobe Encore CS3 (for the authoring aspect vision provided, anyway; did it convert, as well?)

Nere WavEditor -> Audacity, Wavosaur, Sound Forge [the old versions are better before Sony made it something I didn't like but the older versions (ie v8.0) won't install under Vista without Net Framework 1.1 and 1.1 SP1 which when you go to install are told can cause incompatibilities], etc

I went from v7 to v9 a few months back, and it hasn't really changed all that much beyond the multichannel support. Though I don't really use, as I have both Sonar and Vegas for true multitracking, it seems to be implemented well enough. I've thought about trying Wavelab (it has MLP encoding, which is kinda cool, though only the DVD-A variety rather than Dolby TrueHD), but it's quite pricey considering I can now get the upgrade price for SF. That, and the UI of a lot of Germanic software hurts my brain. :bang:

Nero CoverDesigner -> Not really sure. I'm going to miss this one

Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker is pretty good; and cheap. It supports lightscribe, regular labels, and direct-to-disc printing.

Last edited:
.... Now they've gone in a direction I'm not interested in following nor wasting my money on. They want me to pay for updates for this garbage? No thanks. ImgBurn has remained solid and the same while getting better as time goes on.

Could not agree more

Hard drives in raid 0, overclocked quad core cpu . . . and I've never witnessed another program taking that long to install.

Then you've never had to install AutoCAD, with 2 updates each taking 20 minutes to "determine system capabilities".

Nero 9 actually worked well for me with respect to burning Blu-Rays. It is a memory whore though :)

Back