• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Nero 9.0.9.4d released

I did upgrade... briefly. All I got was a headache. I literally saw no real differences than what Nero8 offers. The fact that they didn't even offer nice release notes showing the differences doesn't help, either.

Nero wants me to blindly hork over another 60 USD for that? Um, no thanks. They're worse than CyberLink.

Nero 9 sucketh.

That is all. You may go about your business.

I am stuck using it, however. :rolleyes:

samurihl said:
Fix recode

I've reached the point where I no longer care. Really if people are buying Nero for dvd-5 compression, then I honestly recommend Dvd Rebuilder instead (and there's a freeware version).

If I could swear I would (and I have cursed loudly while installing Nero 9). And it's not just the installation that takes longer (Nero 8 I could sort of stomach, despite the long installation), but I also find launching Nero Burning Rom takes longer than before. I have no freaking idea why. Just smacks of poor coding in my opinion

Yea, I no longer care either. I just make ISOs of everything. Seriously, 9 gigs is nothing in the grand scheme of my video library these days. :) So, I'm not even using DVD RB much these days.

Really if people are buying Nero for dvd-5 compression, then I honestly recommend Dvd Rebuilder instead (and there's a freeware version).

I could be wrong but I thought in order to do DVD-9 to DVD-5 you had to donate to get VIP status. IOW, I thought only the Pro version could re-encode DL to SL.

And, yes, I agree on recommending DVD Rebuilder over Nero Recode. Yes, it'll take a little longer but the quality of the output will be vastly superior.

I could be wrong but I thought in order to do DVD-9 to DVD-5 you had to donate to get VIP status. IOW, I thought only the Pro version could re-encode DL to SL.

I don't think so. That sort of defeats the purpose of using it at all, I would think.

I think the Pro version allows you to remove unwanted material while keeping menus and also make movie-only backups.

Last edited:
I don't think so. That sort of defeats the purpose of using it at all, I would think.

Actually, I may be partially wrong. It may have been to get support for CCE & ProCoder you needed to donate. The free version likely just supports HC & QuEnc. You may be right, though, and I could be totally wrong but I don't know why I thought what I thought...

I've used the software without DL to SL just to fix badly mastered DVDs from Europe numerous times.

I think the Pro version allows you to remove unwanted material while keeping menus and also make movie-only backups.

That, too. Geez, I've had it registered so long that I forget the differences. :eek:

Actually, I may be partially wrong. It may have been to get support for CCE & ProCoder you needed to donate.

I'm not sure about that either. I was under the impression the pro version adds a lot of editing features.
The advertising doesn't specifically mention adding the capacity to use Procoder or CCE in the pro version only.
If so, it seems to me that would be a "pro only" feature listed. But I could be mistaken.

Last edited:
Anyway, I pity those installing (full installs of) Nero 9 on systems with non-quad core Intel cpus (because at least I could browse and do other things while installing), especially on systems using slower hard drives. I seriously fear Nero updates now.

Hard drives in raid 0, overclocked quad core cpu . . . and I've never witnessed another program taking that long to install. Maybe someone's going to come along and tell me, "well, you've obviously never installed such and such . . ."

You're right, unknown person, and, God willing, I never will. ;)

You know what? I don't think even Vista 64 bit Ultimate edition took as long as Nero 9 to install. I could be wrong, but I don't think Vista did take that long.

lol, Office 2000? You might be pushing your luck with that one. Personally, I don't really understand people's reluctance to upgrade (other than the ludicrous price charged for Vista, which I fortunately avoided by buying it through my school).

Ya, Office 2000 is pushing it. I'm pissed at MS for making the new version of Office fail to read earlier .doc files without a patch. But Office 2007 is prolly worth looking into. Is that the last Pre-Vista Office?? Does it have any DRM issues? Does it force any Windows Service Packs?

I'm just real set in my ways. My current config is still XP-Pro, Office 2000, PowerDVD 4.xx, Media Player 10, Adobe 6.0, IE and Outlook 6.0, Nero 6.x, and Shrink 3.2

my stock S.O.P. setup originated back in 2001 with my older P3-1ghz machines with 512 and just "migrated" into my current crop of P4 3.2ghz machines as I needed to buy no additional software to do the new builds - so long as I used Sony drives as the PowerDVD is Sony OEM. Even my NVidia drivers are 84.21 circa 2004 or so.

I can jump from any one of my PC's to another with no learning curve or mental hiccup at all. Even my oldest PC stranded in NH is the exaxt same software build. And when I ressurect an old dying PC for a friend (even a P2!)- I use that basic build. I like the "one size fits all" mentality.

The ONLY program I actually update is AnyDVD - heh. :D

-W

Ya, Office 2000 is pushing it. I'm pissed at MS for making the new version of Office fail to read earlier .doc files without a patch. But Office 2007 is prolly worth looking into. Is that the last Pre-Vista Office?? Does it have any DRM issues? Does it force any Windows Service Packs?

I've only had 2007 installed for a few weeks; but I never had any problem opening my old *.doc files. I haven't yet converted them to the new format, either. When I'm in one, it just says "compatibility mode" up at the top after the filename.

I don't think it forces any service pack; though with XP it requires SP2 or later. I'm not aware of any DRM issues; though I'm not sure the kind of DRM that would apply to basic things like office documents.

lol, Office 2000? You might be pushing your luck with that one. Personally, I don't really understand people's reluctance to upgrade (other than the ludicrous price charged for Vista, which I fortunately avoided by buying it through my school).
Office 2000 is the last version not requiring activation.
I won't buy software which requires activation, if I either can live without it or there is an alternative available. Very simple rule. Highly recommended. :D

Last edited:
I'm not aware of any DRM issues
IMHO "locking software to my hardware and requiring to contact the software vendor for product activation" is a serious "DRM issue". ;)

Office 2000 is the last version not requiring activation.
I won't buy software which requires activation, if I either can live without it or there is an alternative available. Very simple rule. Highly recommended. :D

Unless, of course, you are an MSDN subscriber and have a VLK. ;)

IMHO "locking software to my hardware and requiring to contact the software vendor for product activation" is a serious "DRM issue". ;)

Given the number of people who've used pirated copies of Office over the years... myself included, in versions prior to 2003 (hey, I was a teenager)... even I can't blame Microsoft for wanting the activation feature. And I'm not their biggest fan.

Besides, I must've activated (and re-activated) Office 2003 over 15 times during all the years I used it prior to removing it a couple week ago after getting 2007. I guess if you take issue with waiting all of 10 seconds for it do that over the net, then Office 2007 isn't for you.

I take it you're using Windows 2000, then? Anyway, I think at this point we have to face the fact that product activation is a fact of life. For people who've legitimately purchased said product, it's a minor inconvenience every once in a while, if you buy a new system and the thing won't re-activate automatically (sometimes even that won't stop it from reactivating). So you call the number the program gives you, it takes maybe 5-10 minutes, and you're up and running again. Big deal.

I didn't like activation either myself, initially. However, then I realized just how much pirated crap I had on my computers during the 90s, and I realized why they did it. At this point, I don't really like the idea of having pirated software, anyway. I have the money for it, why shouldn't I actually contribute to the stuff I'm using on a daily basis? Fortunately, I managed to avoid major costs buy purchasing the more expensive software packages that I use (Office 2007 Enterprise, Adobe CS3 Master Collection, Windows Vista Ultimate) through my school for significant discounts. And all three can be upgraded through retail channels upon the release of new versions. Adobe was the most discounted; teh initial cost for me was a a couple hundred less than the retail upgrade to the next version will cost when it's release; at least I avoided the initial $2500 cost for the Master Collection suite.

Last edited:
Given the number of people who've used pirated copies of Office over the years... myself included, in versions prior to 2003 (hey, I was a teenager)... even I can't blame Microsoft for wanting the activation feature.

I don't agree. DRM/copy protection sucks. Now that you're a paid customer does activation help you? No.

Does activation affect pirates? No. They use cracks.

So who is inconvenienced by DRM? Paid customers

Look at Mass Effect, Spore, and Dead Space. These PC games all have activation limits. You upgrade your motherboard 5 times or format your hard drive 5 times (actually 3 times with Mass Effect, I think), and you get to call Electronic Arts and try to convince them you're not a thief. Do you think pirates need to call in? :disagree:

Do you know how many times I've had to call to talk to Microsoft over Windows activations? Sometimes I get the stupid automated phone call (the one where I have to punch in this stupid code). Sometimes, when I'm really lucky, I get to talk to a moron in India who wants to argue with me.

The only time anti-piracy measures can really be enforced is when/if the pirate requires some sort of server based service or feature (it's pretty hard to pirate an MMO).

Last edited:
I don't agree. DRM/copy protection sucks. Now that you're a paid customer does activation help you? No.

Does activation affect pirates? No. They use cracks.

So who is inconvenienced by DRM? Paid customers

Do you know how many times I've had to call to talk to Microsoft over Windows activations? Sometimes I get the stupid automated phone call. Sometimes, when I'm really lucky, I get to talk to a moron in India who wants to argue with me.

Do pirates need to call Microsoft? No

The 1 or 2 times I did need to call MS for activation (it was XP, I think), nobody argued with me. I don't doubt it could happen, though.

Anyway, there'll always be people who choose to pirate software, and crack it (inelegantly). Activation probably discourages a few of them. And personally, the advantage of having access to new features is more important to me than sacrificing a few minutes of my time over a span of several years.

Look at Mass Effect, Spore, and Dead Space. These games all have activation limits. You upgrade your motherboard 5 times or format your hard drive 5 times (actually 3 times with Mass Effect, I think), and you get to call Electronic Arts and try to convince them you're not a thief. Do you think pirates need to call in? :disagree:

I didn't even know games had activation these days; the only computer I play many games on is an old original Pentium MMX loaded with Windows 98. While they should, maybe, increase that limit a bit, I really don't think many people are going to be upgrading the motherboard of a system 5 times... just start from scratch with a new system, already, lol. And anyway, don't most people just play the game 'til they beat it and then it collects dust? I doubt that'll last through 5 hard drive formats. (Not the point, I know; I'm just saying that probably not many people, relative to the total number who buy the game, are caused real problems by the activation limit)

Last edited:
The 1 or 2 times I did need to call MS for activation (it was XP, I think), nobody argued with me. I don't doubt it could happen, though.

One year, I switched motherboards and hardware lots of times.

Anyway, there'll always be people who choose to pirate software, and crack it (inelegantly). Activation probably discourages a few of them.

I'm not so sure. In some case it enrages and encourages them. Spore is a pretty good example. Go look at spore reviews at Amazon.com
Sure Spore has sold over a million copies. But Spore was cracked before it was officially released, and pirates felt emboldened and even justified for pirating the game. There's a huge stink over Securom activation from E.A. at the moment on the internet. Do a quick search

And personally, the advantage of having access to new features is more important to me than sacrificing a few minutes of my time over a span of several years.

I don't pirate anything. I firmly believe in the principle that if you like something you should support the work by buying it. But no pirate is inconvenienced by anti-piracy measures unless there's some sort of service that's provided that is server based (again, MMOs are good examples; pirates can't pirate MMOs unless they steal code and create their own servers . . . that actually did happen with the original Everquest at one point).

I really don't think many people are going to be upgrading the motherboard of a system 5 times

I did that easily one year because I kept getting fed up and sending my motherboards back for different ones. A lot of PC gamers are enthusiast system builders. But formatting hard drives is a lot more common anyway.

And anyway, don't most people just play the game 'til they beat it and then it collects dust? I doubt that'll last through 5 hard drive formats.

I know people that format their drives well over five times a year.

Last edited:
I know people that format their drives well over five times a year.

Yeah, I do this, myself; which is why I ended up activating Windows XP and Office 2003 so many times over the years (and except for those 1 or 2 times for Office, it always worked over the net). However, how long does it take these people to beat a game? Once they have, a lot of people have no further interest in playing; unless it's an MMO. And as you said, you can't pirate an MMO so easily. So the one type of game that's most likely to survive to be played spanning multiple formats is also the type that's least likely to have a restrictive activation feature.

Back