Meltdown & Spectre potpourri

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DrinkLyeAndDie, Jan 4, 2018.

1. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

Tom's Hardware: Intel’s Latest On Spectre Fix Reboot Issue: Updated Fix Being Tested

2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

I fucking knew I shouldn't have updated so soon, even if it was a severe bug like these. Luckily I haven't had any system reboots or locks yet and I hope I never do. Though they better fix their shit soon. And when that's done, I'm going back to MAYBE 1 bios update every 6-12m

MAYBE!

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

3. DrinkLyeAndDie

The whole situation is a cluster****.

4. DrinkLyeAndDie

Fudzilla: Intel warns about installing its chip patch

5. DrinkLyeAndDie

Computer World: Belay that order: Intel says you should NOT install its Meltdown firmware fixes

6. gereral1

gereral1 Well-Known Member

Still have updates disabled! who's going to pay local computer shop for Microsoft fuckup as their pc need a format or worse yet a new motherboard

7. DrinkLyeAndDie

Microsoft released fixes for the AMD issues last week. I haven't heard any horror stories since they did. Actually, I've really not heard anything which is really good or no one is installing it.

ZD Net: Windows 10 Meltdown-Spectre patch: New updates bring fix for unbootable AMD PCs

8. gereral1

No touchy for me for AMD updates..... wait tell the last possible moment

9. gereral1

Please do not install. My issue was my hard drives would not load files, edge browser closed and every time tried to recover pages and the windows Taskbar would not show the list of programs. Great it stops boot issues but nothing mentioned about this stuff. Disabled......not updating hell no

10. DrinkLyeAndDie

Hopefully the issues have been reported and are being dealt with.

11. DrinkLyeAndDie

ZD Net: Spectre flaw: Dell and HP pull Intel's buggy patch, new BIOS updates coming

In the meantime ASUS is still listing the BIOS update on their support pages.

Google's "Reptoline" solution sounds interesting but, unfortunately, apparently doesn't fully work on Skylake:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  12. DrinkLyeAndDie

Tom's Hardware: Intel Announces 'In-Silicon' Fixes For Meltdown And Spectre Coming This Year, 10nm Update

Sadly, this doesn't help those of us stuck with flawed CPUs.

13. DrinkLyeAndDie

Tom's Hardware: Intel Releases Fixed Spectre Patch For Skylake CPUs

14. DrinkLyeAndDie

Thread retitled from MS releases Windows 10 "Meltdown" patch (KB4056892) to Meltdown & Spetre potpourri.

15. DrinkLyeAndDie

Intel: Security Issue Update: Progress Continues on Firmware Updates

16. DrinkLyeAndDie

Ars Technica: Intel releases new Spectre microcode update for Skylake; other chips remain in beta

17. Ch3vr0n

Well you and me are covered ;) Our 6700k is skylake :p, but why don't they wait and release an update that works for everyone instead of releasing a half baked one that only works for a certain generation

18. DrinkLyeAndDie

I suspect it's basically because they are at least attempting to cover their butts among other things. They've had over 6 months to work on this. As a workable and [hopefully] bug-free solution is released for each CPU generation then Intel will kick it to vendors to release to consumers. If the vendors drag their feet on releasing the updates then that's a noose around their neck and not Intel's. The quicker the solution is out and people are protected from the vulnerability the better with respect to their bottom line, shareholders, lawsuits, etc. We really don't want to see a in-the-wild attack using these vulnerabilities on banking and business. I expect that the microcode updates are also going to be tailored to the relevant CPU generations and not be a one-size-fits-all. Leveraging the differences in design can help mitigate [some of] the performance losses in some generations (ie Skylake). Some CPUs support CPID but not all, etc. Really old generations are going to take the brunt of the losses.

19. Ch3vr0n

Well do a search, there already are based on the POC. But this time I'll wait a couple weeks after it's been released :p

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

20. DrinkLyeAndDie

Tom's Hardware: Newly Discovered Variants Of Meltdown/Spectre Exploit Cache Coherency Across Cores