Meltdown & Spectre potpourri

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DrinkLyeAndDie, Jan 4, 2018.

1. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

Watch this. This is a friend of mine, he is a Computer Modder.

DrinkLyeAndDie and Jeff53404 like this.
  2. FurryGuy

FurryGuy Well-Known Member

@RedFox 1, I like how your friend doesn't get into the technical issue of the problem(s), and simply gives an average person a decent over-view of what is the result. More people will bother doing what is needed to fix the problem with their PCs instead of having their eyes glaze over from a lot of high-tech gobbledy-gook, "look how smart I am" jargon.

RedFox 1 and whatever_gong82 like this.
  3. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

Fudzilla: Intel releases its post Meltdown and Spectre performance figures

4. FurryGuy

FurryGuy Well-Known Member

@DrinkLyeAndDie, I don't use the latest and greatest CPU chips, Intel or AMD, I simply can't afford it. I fully expect the impact to be major for CPU intensive apps, no matter what. The security hole is just that deep, needing lots of fill dirt to plug.

5. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

If what Jay is saying is true, they have known about this for a very long time. It goes all the way back to the Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600. Its totally unreal to me that this has not been fixed yet.

6. gereral1

gereral1 Well-Known Member

I'm building a new PC soon and glad Microsoft backed out AMD update as it destroyed my AMD x4 965 black edition processor and the sata drives. I thought my hard drive failed..... This PC is still fast and I can edit 4 k on it. The chip companies still hover around the same Hz clock speed. The only things that have changed is the power structure (chip size) transistors. More threads and multi cpus on one dye and larger cash. But it's mostly GPU these days so CPU I'm most everyday uses you can use a 10 year old CPU. Honestly I can capture and record 7.1 at the same time without a hiccup. I cannot play 4k but my rx470 handles encoding and playback in HDR perfect. Handles YouTube 4k and games. I know an upgrade will be nice. My first computer was a Pentium 2 lol..... Still torn between AMD or Intel. Thread ripper looks like overkill.

7. gereral1

gereral1 Well-Known Member

My point is this update destroys older cpus!

8. DrinkLyeAndDie

9. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

Well the patch certainly has it's impact on cloneBD even with hw acc and output to my SSD.

"Encoder" output used to stay at 0% at all times like it should, post patch it fluctuates up to 5% so far
    CPU use CloneBD used to be at 5% tops, now it's like 30-35%

10. Ch3vr0n

DrinkLyeAndDie likes this.
  11. DrinkLyeAndDie

And yet another issues with Intel CPUs. This time it's the AMT (Active Management Technology). There's been talk about this for a few days. I just had gotten around to posting.

Fudzilla: Intel has more firmware problems

With these recent discoveries and revelations I expect to see much more focus on CPUs, in general, and looking for flaws such as these. The recent events could just be the tip of the iceberg.

whatever_gong82 likes this.
  12. DrinkLyeAndDie

Steve Gibson from GRC (Gibson Research Corporation) has released InSpectre. InSpectre is a nice tiny standalone tool for checking your system vulnerability status to Meltdown & Spectre.

The tool basically shows if you are vulnerable or not. As with all programs that Gibson has released over the years it's a super tiny, portable, no-installation executable.

Download page: InSpectre (https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm)

InSpectre.png

whatever_gong82 likes this.
  13. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

I am vulnerable to Spectre, what to do?

14. Ch3vr0n

read the details more down ;) Patch the BIOS with the firmware i linked earlier (3703 available for download on the motherboard download page), should fix that right up. Havent done that myself, so can't be fully sure. I don't like doing such "risky" things during the week. I prefer the weekend so i have some time IF things were to go wrong.

RedFox 1 likes this.
  15. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

That fixed it. Thanks Ch3vr0n.:thankyou: I guess it was my Samsung m.2 NVMe 1TB SSD

16. DrinkLyeAndDie

The fix was the CPU microcode update.

I'm not entirely sure what was fixed for M.2 devices. For all intents and purposes ASUS doesn't seem to be in any rush to push BIOS updates when they don't have to but since they did have to in this case it appears they did a nice little roll-up of fixes and those that were in the works for awhile. For the M8E they finally got around to pushing the Intel ME update which most ASUS Z170 boards had already received. They updated all the BIOSes across all the boards so that they contain all the relevant fixes. Big picture, it's probably not a bad thing.

Note: Obviously, the less BIOS updates the better. No one likes doing it. It's a pain and there's always an inherent risk when updating. ASUS shouldn't be popping out updates all the time but they do seem to drag their feet at times.

whatever_gong82 and RedFox 1 like this.
  17. DrinkLyeAndDie

Tom's Hardware: Patch-Induced Reboot Errors Impact Kaby Lake, Skylake, Ivy And Sandy Bridge, Too

18. DrinkLyeAndDie

19. DrinkLyeAndDie

The Register: 'WHAT THE F*CK IS GOING ON?' Linus Torvalds explodes at Intel spinning Spectre fix as a security feature

20. DrinkLyeAndDie