Meltdown & Spectre potpourri

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DrinkLyeAndDie, Jan 4, 2018.

1. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

More articles on MeltdownPrime & SpectrePrime

1. Gizmodo: Researchers Find New Ways to Exploit Meltdown and Spectre Vulnerabilities in Modern CPUs

2. Engadget: Researchers discover new ways to abuse Meltdown and Spectre flaws

3. TechRadar: New Meltdown and Spectre exploits have been built, but aren’t in the wild… yet

2. DrinkLyeAndDie

Tom's Hardware: Intel Completes Spectre Fixes For Skylake, Kaby Lake, And Coffee Lake CPUs

3. DrinkLyeAndDie

The Register: Spectre haunts Intel's SGX defense: CPU flaws can be exploited to snoop on enclaves

Thinking about Spectre & Meltdown and how they impact SGX is not new. But, there is a little more discussion on the implications, mitigations, and what is to come.

4. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

SGX, hmm. UHD support on z170 spectre vulnerable systems? :p

5. DrinkLyeAndDie

DISCLAIMER: If you don't know what you are doing then stop reading. I take zero responsibility for people blindly doing things and possibly having issues.

Hmmm...

Betanews: Microsoft details steps being taken to address Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities

I really need more details and info on this. It's a manual download. I won't be blindly jumping on board. I'd rather wait on ASUS to release a newer BIOS update.

whatever_gong82 likes this.
  6. Ch3vr0n

right, aint jumpin the gun this time. I'll wait a few weeks until that update hits my system AND a new bios is available.

whatever_gong82 likes this.
  7. DrinkLyeAndDie

DISCLAIMER: If you don't know what you are doing then stop reading. I take zero responsibility for people blindly doing things and possibly having issues.

This is a far better article that answers a questions that I had.

Ars Technica:

Intel’s latest set of Spectre microcode fixes is coming to a Windows update
    Windows users will no longer be beholden to their motherboard makers.

I was not aware of the second distribution channel for microcode updates via the OS.

8. gereral1

gereral1 Well-Known Member

Spying on enclaves...... lol

I'm building new pc in 3 weeks. Not sure if I should hold out tell things calm down

9. DrinkLyeAndDie

KB4090007 is confusingly named in the Windows Catalog: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4090007). The knowledge base info on Microsoft Support show it as KB4090007: Intel microcode updates. The Windows Catalog entry name is vague and the KB entry is explicit.

On the plus side KB4090007 can be uninstalled.

Install Resources:

10. DrinkLyeAndDie

PC World: Intel quietly releases Spectre fixes for Haswell and Broadwell CPUs

11. DrinkLyeAndDie

ded to take the plunge and give Microsoft's KB4090007 CPU microcode update a shot. I still have not insalled the ASUS BIOS update for my motherboard so the differences in these benchmarks is all about KB4090007.

Before installing KB4090007: Note that the pre-update results date back to January 8, 2018.

Drive C (boot drive)

Code:
    Sequential (MB/s) Read/Write:

542 / 512

Random (IOPS) Read/Write:

86,838 / 76,892

Drive P

Code:

551 / 523

93,854 / 77,524

After installing KB4090007: 2018-03-08

Drive C (boot drive)

Code:

542 / 509

52,001 / 45,898

Drive P

Code:

552 / 522

53,466 / 47,119

Summation: IOPS took a noticeable hit as has been predicted/expected from mitigations since all of this began.

InSpectre.png Deci

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  12. Ch3vr0n

Hah now you're seeing the numbers i am :p

13. DrinkLyeAndDie

Btw, GRC has continued to update InSpectre with the latest version being released March 7, 2018: https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

14. DrinkLyeAndDie

True. :( Although I can uninstall the Microsoft update a lot easier than you can downgrade your BIOS. ;)

15. Ch3vr0n

I'm actually thinking of getting myself a PCI-E SSD for CloneBD processing. Should be faster than a normal one to counteract that IOPS drop. The only question i have, is do i have enough "free" lanes. I know the non X-Series (standard k/non-k) versions have a significant lower number of lanes available. With our shared MB, maybe you can answer that. ALL 8 of the sata ports are occupied. When i first built the system i was informed that i couldn't use an M.2 drive because of the "shared" lanes with the first 2 sata ports (somethin about sata-express i think in the manual).

would this affect pci-e lanes from a pci-e socket too? (i'm specifically thinking about getting an m.2 drive in a pci-e adapter, or at worst a straight up PCI-E ssd)

16. DrinkLyeAndDie

Doing a super quick search the i7 6700K supports 16 PCI-E lanes (https://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz?q=6700k). Z170 supports 20 PCI-E lanes (https://ark.intel.com/products/90591/Intel-GL82Z170-PCH).

I definitely can't answer the specifics of the question because I really haven't looked into any of the PCI-e SSD, M.2, Optane, etc stuff. That type of storage is still not in my gameplan at the present time. I do believe your mobo will be similar, as you noted, that in order to use the M.2 then you can't use the SATA Express ports. I believe that's how it works.

17. Ch3vr0n

That I can't use the sata-e ones is no biggy. Just want to know if an (m.2) ssd via pci-e slot itself will work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

18. DrinkLyeAndDie

For the heck of it I disabled the Microsoft Spectre protection via InSpectre to benchmark my boot drive just to see the difference.

Drive C (boot drive)

Code:

543/ 510

80,810 / 69,335

Just a slight difference in IOPS. :rolleyes:

19. DrinkLyeAndDie

That one you'll have to do some research on. Above my pay grade and I have absolutely no idea. :p Obviously, you will have to take into account which slot you will place the drive into which may impact other PCI-e slot speeds, etc. Too much research for my brain and right now and I wouldn't retain even a fraction of the information if I read it.

20. gereral1

gereral1 Well-Known Member

I see Intel getting slammed, wonder if AMD is getting hard drive hits as well. I've got 2600 bucks in my hand and ready to build pc. Still sitting on the fence.