• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Maybe you should not upgrade to Vista

Microsoft's support of XP is neither here nor there IMO. It's tHe software and hardware vendors that'll drop it.

As for your question Roundtree, yes, newer PCs run fine under XP, however if you get an 8800 then DirectX 10 won't work under XP, you'll be stuck with 9.

Microsoft's support of XP is neither here nor there IMO. It's tHe software and hardware vendors that'll drop it.

Hardware is not OS specific and software isn't really a major concern. Most softwares that are developed for Vista should work with XP. Vista is basically an updated XP.

Ok, with Vista SP1 out -
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=96055&postcount=1

- maybe we now *can* upgrade to Vista ? yes ?!? no?!? :)

Are there posted any slipstreaming guides for Vista on the 'net?

Yes, it is "out" but don't look for any major differences or "majic" fixes. It's still Vista.
Slipstreaming Vista should not be any problem...follow the same procedure as with any other OS.

Just a comment...

Blu-Ray *and* Vista are the devil.

Last edited:
My computer will be four years old this summer and I am planning to purchase a new one this coming Christmas season when computers sell at very good prices here. Do you know if the newer pc's which use dual core processors, DDR 2 SDRAM (for example) , and the more advanced graphic cards such as GeForce 8800GT(and others) will work OK under WinXP?

Everything you have now, and will have, will all work more than well with XP.
If you "purchase" a new PC it will most likely come with Vista installed.

It's not a dream

You should be aware that there is no real technical reason for DX10 not running under XP or Windows 2000.
Microsoft doesn't *want* this, because they *want* you to buy Vista.
If you do, they have succeeded. If nobody does, the software publishers will beat Microsoft long and hard to release DX10 for XP.

Okay, I am living in a dream world... :eek:

Hats off to you James!! :clap:

That is on my list of reasons NOT to get Vista. I refuse to be pushed into buying something with no technical justification. This is just another example of how Microsoft manipulates the user.
And they understand only one thing: when nobody buys it they react.
read: Windows 7 and 8 announced as "on the way", downgrade licenses from Vista to XP, and other bone-headed Billy-Boners.

See my post under Jame's origional post. DX10 cannot work with Vista as the graphics pipeline is totally incompatable. There MANY reasons to hate Vista - but the DX10 issue isn't one of them.

-W

and I suppose theres no way to turn big brother off.... humm getting to like xp more and more :D

The programs that Windows have enabled for vista can be disabled in msconfig like allways the point is for some people: like my mom how cant have me there all the time to keep good PC health and maint. going so Vista just doesnt let it happen

I love Vista the easyest windos opp yet but i know how to use it and im used to windows programs and how they work security wise thankfully if you dont need all the prental controls you turn the off,Vista is still personal PC freindly

With all the hear say over Windows Vista one company took a poll on what users thought about Windows Vista. First they were asked how they feel or know about Windows Vista and as it bleeds all over the net that same hear say went around the world to all people. So one project was to have 22 hidden cameras to first say what they think about Windows Vista and everyone said they hate it as it constantly crashed and just didn't work. Might I add none of these people really ever tried it but was just stating what was said to them. Then they got to test the new Mojave Experiment pronounce Mo-Hau-Va. All these people were psyched to give it a go. See the ending results and the shock on these peoples face by watching the flash video below.

The "Mojave Experiment"

Yeah! Me too! The trick to Vista is that you have to have over 2gigs of memory and all apps designed for it. XP apps and the UAC are not compatible as are the XP drivers under any "compatiblity" mode in Vista.

Basically, my set up is 4 gigs of ram, no paging file and I turned off prefecth. Also, 'disablepagingexecutive' is set at '1' and that forces all drivers to reside in memory. That one trick will speed everything up even better than XP.

Once you tweak your start up to fire up as few programs as needed during boot up, you're good to go. My Vista set up takes about 30 seconds to fully boot as opposed to a minute or more on some XP systems. I never crash as all the software I have on my machine is Vista compatible.

The only problem I have is with the sleep function as it seems to be incompatible with my nVidia card.

Other than that, it works excellent! It took a bit of a learning curve to learn the tweaks but once in place, vvvvoooooooommmmmm ... I'm flying better than with XP and rock steady to boot.

Here's some good registry tweaks:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

DisablePagingExecutive from 0 to 1
LargeSystemCache from 0 to 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

EnablePrefetcher 3 to 0
EnableSuperfetch 3 to 0

Remember, you HAVE to have over 2 gigs for the above tweaks or you'll end up with a slower system. These tweaks store feaquently used code in physical RAM so disk access with go to a minimum.

Also, use defender's "software explorer" to disable uneeded start up programs. A good idea is to also turn off the indexing service by disabling "Windows Search" in you services manager.

Also, a good OS reload from time to time won't hurt if you know what you're doing. You especially need this if you like to install a lot of trialware crap that doesn't remove the trash from you registery. This is true for XP as well. The freaquent "crashes" that happen can usually be attributed to and over fed registery :D

I love Vista the easyest windos opp yet but i know how to use it and im used to windows programs and how they work security wise thankfully if you dont need all the prental controls you turn the off,Vista is still personal PC freindly

I got my Vista Ultimate package direct from Microsoft 100% free in two flavors: x32 and x64. I bought a x64 machine 2 yrs ago, so I installed the x64, of course.

I don't have any personal problems with it.

Those that do are simply prejudiced. There's nothing wrong with preferences, but I don't live by mere preference. But those who like the fast life are always preferential over things and will argue over it because it's their conceived notion of "others should see it my way, because it's better."

People that are knowledgeable about PC's realize it is nothing more than a highly overpriced XP with a lot of added fluff and bloat.
It's a resource demanding OS that requires, at the expense of the buying public, expensive hardware to accomplish the same ends that XP will accomplish for much less. XP will still be offered for purchase until at least May of 2009 so the major manufacturers can offer a reasonably priced PC with an OS, that will function efficiently and effectively with economical hardware, at a reasonable price.
MS threw Vista out to appease the masses and prepare for Windows 7.

Yet another good reason NOT to buy Vista. Windows 7 Beta was released to the public Jan. 9th. It is what Vista should have been. It's still the disorganized mess that is Vista but there are also a LOT of noticeable improvements.

We've been using Vista for over a year with no problems at all, we even install it on all our systems now that drivers are out for the editing cards, and they work much better

Sad to say Win7 is nothing more than what vista should of been. However it is still heavily hardware resourced as vista is. Some improvements but really over all no change.

Sad to say Win7 is nothing more than what vista should of been. However it is still heavily hardware resourced as vista is. Some improvements but really over all no change.

Quite the contrary! You might consider taking a look at the two OS's and do some actual comparisons. Look at the space of the Windows Folder in Vista and 7 and you will see a quite noticeable difference in size.
7 demands much less hardware than Vista. 7 demands and uses much less resources than Vista. It boots in less than half the time of Vista & shuts down even faster. In fact, it boots faster than one of my PC's that has the "Lite" version of XP Pro that I use for DVD authoring.
I installed 7 Beta on a lowly D/C 2Ghz Celeron with 1G of PC 5400 DDR2 RAM and it literally flies.
Is is most definitely what the purchasers of Vista should have gotten instead of the bloated hardware demanding OS that they paid for.

Well I am glad you think so, I noticed the vice versa on my end and that is what I am basing my thoughts on as performance was increased, Boot up is not noticable transfering from one HDD to another is a bit faster but not too noticable. I actually need more horsepower to get the equivelent of what performance I get on Vista.

Back