• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Maybe you should not upgrade to Vista

why you have no choice but to upgrade

No, you don't. Don't buy the game. It is very simple. Buy a different game instead.
The manufacturer of the game sitting on the shelves will react, you can count on this. :agree:

EDIT:
Yes folks, you can vote with your purse. It is all about money. If you see a movie on BR you want on HD DVD - write the studio, that they lost a sale. (Same the other way round).
If you see a game you want to buy, but which requires Vista: Write the manufacturer, that they lost a sale.
If you see a shareware program requiring activation: Write the author, that he lost a sale.
If you just buy everything, even if you are forced to do things you actually don't like, you are a stupid lemming who doesn't deserve it better.

I Respectfully Disagree.. :disagree:

we had the same arguments from Windows 3.1 users not wanting to upgrade to XP.. why are you not still running win3.1 ? you literally have no choice ... here's why

a good friend of our family works for MS on the windows core dev team.. the basic dev mindset is: we are working on the next release of windows client to replace Vista , (win7.0, vienna, blackcomb -or whatever it's called this week)there is no point in fixing the bug in Vista. forget XP. it's RTM date was over 6yrs ago 10/25/2001 meaning it's 10yrs old in dev time.

For large enterprise customers that complain enough and need a Vista fix.. all current bugs are now marked ... Postponed to SP2 as Vista SP1 is in RC1.

MSFT used to stop all support & hotfixes 18months after a new OS was released.. obviously that can't do that now-a-days.. meaning XP would be SOL in 6months from now... they have extended the time until 04/14/2009 (or 17months from today) After XP SP3 ships, getting a post SP3 hotfix done a customer will have to provide a strong business case & pay the dev costs.. associated with the fix.. in the past the min cost was $50,000 per hotfix - this was enough to deter all but the largest corporations.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

"ok ... I'll switch to Linux on the desktop... (or whatever else)"
the problem here is Drivers - people just want there PC's to work. unless your a geek.. it's too hard... there is hope with Apple now on Intel chips.. not sure how AnyDVD works in vista running parallel on a MAC with leopard :agree: - I guess the only reason I don't own a MAC is I'm worried about game performance.. athough Electronic Arts (EA) says popular times are moving to native MAC.. email, chat, video, itunes is better with apple.

it's the same argument of 32 vs 64bit drivers.

64bit processors are now standard. the problem is getting a 64bit driver for your hardware because (unlike 32bit) a 64bit driver has to be digitally signed by MSFT before it will actually install on your PC. eventually you wont be able to buy a 32bit client OS meaning if your HW doesn't have a 64bit driver.. no one will buy it. - the only saving grace here is Virtual PC technology

more insight inside MS on hotfixes..
http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xp_sp3.asp

we had the same arguments from Windows 3.1 users not wanting to upgrade to XP.. why are you not still running win3.1 ?
Because Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME ... all sucked, that's why nobody *wants* to run them.
The correct question would be "why aren't you still running Windows 2000" and the answer is
1.) HD DVD playback
2.) Problems with very big harddisks
3.) Boot time

So I had a real reason to switch to XP, so I did. At the moment (and the near future) I see no reason to switch to Vista.

PayPal For Slysoft

One of the few products I really enjoy using is Slysoft products, they always work and never crash, and the customer support and updates are fantastic. I would like to suggest a paypal option on the slysoft page. I purchased AnyDVD a few years ago and as soon as AnyDVD HD was available purchased that immediately and paid I full price, not the upgrade price. The reason I did this is to give more money to AnyDVD and I think more users would be willing to paypal you money, even if only $5-$10 on occasion to continue development of the products we love.

Your products enable us to use our products we paid for!!! Without you folks we may as well pull out our old VHS tapes...LOL

Just a suggestion and let me say if I see the paypal option I will be the first to donate and perhaps even write it off on my taxes as a charitable contribution:agree:

One of the few products I really enjoy using is Slysoft products, they always work and never crash, and the customer support and updates are fantastic. I would like to suggest a paypal option on the slysoft page. I purchased AnyDVD a few years ago and as soon as AnyDVD HD was available purchased that immediately and paid I full price, not the upgrade price. The reason I did this is to give more money to AnyDVD and I think more users would be willing to paypal you money, even if only $5-$10 on occasion to continue development of the products we love.

Your products enable us to use our products we paid for!!! Without you folks we may as well pull out our old VHS tapes...LOL

Just a suggestion and let me say if I see the paypal option I will be the first to donate and perhaps even write it off on my taxes as a charitable contribution:agree:

It won't happen reason is ....just read this thread to see why.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=11382

Donate VIA Mastercard/Visa

Well then, how about a donate via mastercard or visa option? Perhaps the highest donor for the month could recieve a T-Shirt or have a feature request considered within reason? Or just keep a running list like they do for fundraisers. Just a suggestion to enable more dollars the for research and development department.

Have a Great New Years Everyone!!!

If you have purchased Slysoft products you have already helped. They appreciate your business and your input. Thankyou and have a Happy New Year.:agree:

Vista works fine for most

The lead post suggests not upgrading to Vista because of an article that complains of Piracy protection, Spyware protection, and Content protection.

First... yes, I'm tired of all the DRM B.S. too, but...

Piracy protection... so we can't copy one Vista install to all our home PC's like we did with Win98, boohoo. Yes, if we do a significant upgrade on our PC's there may be a re-activation hassle... for some. If we constantly change our hardware, then I guess we're never satisfied... or we're a developer who should understand how to deal with it.

Spyware protection... if Windows Defender screws over the customer by trying to kill off programs like AnyDVD and such, MS will lose thousands, if not millions of customers. Some people read too much into the fine print. It's good to be paranoid... but Defender is more to protect the PC than it is to be a software cop. When that changes... we'll definitely hear about it.

Content protection... if you want Hi-Def, then go buy those high end pieces of equipment so you have an end-to-end seamless HD experience. Regular DVD quality is good enough for most, and downgraded Hi-Def is probably better than regular DVD's. If you want Cadillac quality on your Volkswagen PC... you're probably too cheap for Hi-Def anyway.

Those are 'potential' issues for the paranoid... or the bleeding edge perhaps. For most of us, Vista works just fine...

I agree we need to keep their feet to the fire, but that's not stopping me from enjoying Vista.

Ok, flame on.

Yes, Vista will "work fine for most" and the problems you have listed will be resolved in time.
The main point being..... why purchase an OS that works "just fine for most", requires way to much resources (CPU-RAM-HDD space) to operate, and is considerably overpriced when XP does all that is required. There is no "benefit" to Vista for anyone but MS.

First... yes, I'm tired of all the DRM B.S. too, but...

I guess you're one of those people who have no problem letting a big company like Microsoft dictate what you can and cannot do with your own personal hardware and software that you pay for with your own money.

Good for you.

Since this thread was revived (sorta), I just wanted to let everyone know that on my laptop I've reverted to XP. I've not done so on my HTPC because for what I use the machine for Vista's behaving nicely, but, on my laptap I started getting BSODs every time I'd copy a file over the network. I tried many things to fix it and finally gave up. I'm actually happier with the performance of this machine under XP. It's far "snappier". Vista really is a pig. I'm running SP1 on my HTPC and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference in terms of performance. I've tuned the machine so it's not a real problem but I can see where the complaints come from. Vista's certainly not winning many fans out there, that's for sure.

Pelvis Popcan...

Yes I like to be told what I can/can't do... NOT. Really.... come on. I strongly believe in Fair Use.

The cited article just paranoically whined about inability to make multiple home O.S. pirate copies, run-away spyware protection programming that starts disabling consumer selected products that some Orwellian 'authority' bans... and content protection on high def leading edge digital equipment. I simply haven't bought any DRM HARDWARE yet... I don't have any 'flagged' players/displays. And so my software works fine... -Vista- too. I use MP3's, yes I use Slysoft... what DRM dictate? I just find blanket M$ 'Windoze', or any other brand, bashing to be foolish flaming. Vista works and lots of people like it... I'm one. Excuse me. I like XP but not enough to downgrade... I did an upgrade to an XP desktop and a two year old still worthy notebook, and the Vista-fied notebook works exceptionally fine... which was a surprise given the greater speciality of notebooks. But I recommend a purchase upgrade and not an install upgrade unless you're tech oriented.

I guess James' warning for many people here on Slysoft forums -will- be applicable because they're running hard/software that is likely to be DRM challenged... but not everyone, so I can't see blanket 'sky is falling' warning against Vista.

Trying not to rub y'all the wrong way, but I just don't (yet) buy DRM equipment...

What I find objectionable is the penchant to surreptitiously 'downgrade' digitally displayed content, via Vista copy protection 'compliance' subservience to -Hollywood-, on otherwise HD capable equipment... That's where Vista would fail me, but again I don't have a lot of HDCP/DRM challenged digital hardware... yet.

Otherwise, yes, all hail MS world domination... for not allowing OS copies at home and supposed predatory spyware protection.... we am Microsoft, resistance are... all your bases.

Last edited:
Vista is a resourse pig and everybody knows it even MS, thats why Windows 7 is in beta1 already, by 2010, Vista will just be another WindowsME.

Not to upgrade,bummer

Well I just bought a GatewayGM5654 with a AMD 9600 quad core processor and Vista Home premium for a fair price. I had a Dell E310 which served my needs barely. To get this machine with XP installed instead of vista it would have been
an arm and a leg. I like it so far,it has the GGC H20n multi drive (blu-ray/Hd-dvd/dvd/cd) It also has Power DVD ultra 7.3.3014(I think thats the right number)It will play movies from the hard drive.It keeps asking me to update and I say NO!I hate to hear these posts after I spent all this money:eek: Oh well it's all I could get

But I recommend a purchase upgrade and not an install upgrade unless you're tech oriented.

I'm confused by your references...."purchase upgrade"........"install upgrade".
If you are referring to a purchased PC with Vista previously installed vs. installing Vista I am even more confused. Vista is Vista, XP is XP, '98 is '98 and so on.
How, where or by who it is installed will have no effect on the OS.
A purchased PC, with the OS pre-installed, will include even more bloat and garbage than what is included with the OS install disc.

I'm gonna wade in here and say the same thing that most other people have already said.

Vista is AWFUL. Clunky, slow and restrictive - to the point where you're basically being spied on. However, I want to play new games, with shiny graphics on my expensive desktop which I built for playing the aforementioned new shiny games. Oh and backup my movies too (thanks Slysoft devs :)).

However, on my lesser PCs, and my laptop, I run Linux. The only two things I can't do under it is play the latest and greatest games and backup my DVDs. Honestly, unless people need to do either of those things, they don't need Windows.

But, there's no converting most people away from Windows, not many people want to re-learn how to admin their own PC. Let me try and think of a nice conclusion...

Ok got it - if you're using Windows, you're doing it by choice. You can't use an old O/S forever and you'll have to upgrade eventually, Microsoft aren't going to make "Windows 7" less secure than Vista, they'll lock it down more and if they're smart they'll hide it better.

Less QQ and more moving away from Microsoft is in order if you don't like the software and business practices.

Last edited:
Just wait a few more years and you will see Windows7 ( only if you give MS more money) but it may just include fixes that Vista should have had already. WinXP will be supported until 2013, I will stick with it until its dead and in its grave.;)

Just wait a few more years and you will see Windows7 ( only if you give MS more money) but it may just include fixes that Vista should have had already. WinXP will be supported until 2013, I will stick with it until its dead and in its grave.;)

Hi :)
Is this your new sig? :p

Greetings to you all,

I was just browsing this forum when I read your comment stating that WinXP will be supported until year 2013. Are you saying that based on having read an official Microsoft announcement?

I ask because all of the software that I am now using with WinXP are working perfectly. I have no reason to purchase Window's Vista. My needs are satisfactorily met using WinXP.

My computer will be four years old this summer and I am planning to purchase a new one this coming Christmas season when computers sell at very good prices here. Do you know if the newer pc's which use dual core processors, DDR 2 SDRAM (for example) , and the more advanced graphic cards such as GeForce 8800GT(and others) will work OK under WinXP?

Thanks for whatever helpful comments you may have.

Back