• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Maximum resolution for MP4 output

DDtex

I was wondering why CloneDVD mobile has a restricted output resolution for MP4 files. I realize that this product hasn't been updated in quite a while and the intent was to produce video files for portable players, but today's devices have greater resolution capability and in addition some users may want to convert DVD video to .MP4 to playback on a TV or other high resolution device. Would Redfox consider increasing the output resolution for MP4's for this product? It seems like it wouldn't take a major update to the code to allow converting DVD output to 1080p for users wanting to make the conversion.

Thanks!

DVD's are at a resolution of 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC).
Upscaling without clever resolution enhancement (something similar to "Super-Resolution") would just be a waste of space.
Implementing some kind of clever resolution enhancement would be a major update.

Could such an update be made?! I have thousands of DVDs that I would want to use this on

I do not think you would gain anything by just increasing the resolution (except bigger files as Brian mentioned)
Just let your SmartTV do the upscaling.

Upscaling is a waste of space and damages video for future use. SD will always look SD anyway. It just adds "fake" pixels and uses tricks to make the image bigger. Hardware does that on the fly and will always get better at it.

I am sure a lot of your DVDs have had HD re-releases in one form or another. It's best to go that route than try to use fake HD.

I should note the only commercial use for upscaling to HD is used by the industry. They don't usually (though some shady studios have and seems more common w/ HD to UHD) upscale SD releases and release as HD or UHD. It's generally used to fit SD footage into an HD documentary so it looks decent. It still looks upscaled but they are using hardware (not software) based upscaling and those units run a several thousand $$$ USD each and not user friendly to use.

Try Topaz Video AI. It expensive and need a fast video card but can up scale dvd to 4k.

Try Topaz Video AI. It expensive and need a fast video card but can up scale dvd to 4k.
How is the quality? Can you post before and after, preferably on YouTube or a public link?

The only 4k upscale I have seen that is impressive IF it came from an SD source is https://archive.org/details/Superman4K

Even though only SD DVD was available at the time, I suspect he used 1080 (1080 to 4k which is 2x and very simple) and my TV would do that too. I suspect he obtained a 1080 print as WB may have had it streamed somewhere on YouTube or something.

How is the quality? Can you post before and after, preferably on YouTube or a public link?

The only 4k upscale I have seen that is impressive IF it came from an SD source is https://archive.org/details/Superman4K

Even though only SD DVD was available at the time, I suspect he used 1080 (1080 to 4k which is 2x and very simple) and my TV would do that too. I suspect he obtained a 1080 print as WB may have had it streamed somewhere on YouTube or something.
Hi
It works great but as i said it takes a lot of power i have a i9 13th, 4090 asus tuf, 64 gig 6200mg ram with a m2 drive. to upscale a dvd to 1080 takes about 2 hours a bvlueray about a 1 1/2 hour. most of what i do is usally use denoise and sharpen. to up scale i tried terminator 2 to 4k at 60 frames and it took 30 hours even with my system. Its on sale i think but its still $250. My system pulls around 650 watts to due this. i also attached a pic of a clip before and after and my settings.
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_4253.jpg
    IMG_4253.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4254.jpg
    IMG_4254.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4255.jpg
    IMG_4255.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4252.jpg
    IMG_4252.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4251.jpg
    IMG_4251.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 12
Wow that is very improved. Again the added "sharpness" and :denoise" is adding effects that makes it hard to compare. Audio runs into the same problem when trying to compare 96/24 vs 44.1/16 the studios use different mastering.

How does that upscale compare to your hardware device? Can you do a screen shot on hardware upscaling?

Another test is to add same denoise and sharness and leave it native, then compare that w/ upscale on device.

My production computer is an iMac intel i9 w/ 64gigs ram (oct 2019) probably would be about the same results.

It gets hard to compare when you are comparing apples w/ oranges. We need to compare raw vs raw effects or hardware vs hardware.

You can download te software free for 20 day but it has a watermark but you can experiment and see if it mets your need. I use it on a lot of old dvd to make them watchable on a large screen.

We've had some threads about upscaling in the past.
@DaveO88 is the leading instance there

Back