• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

KeyDB Tools

SamuriHL

UHD Guru
A HUGE shout out and credit to Nalor, the author of FindVUK. This tool wouldn't exist without his amazing work!

What is it?

KeyDB Tools is a utility that sits on top of FindVUK along with its own bit of magic. This tool is designed to manage all things KeyDB for you. From synchronizing your KeyDB file, to configuring it for AnyDVD, to copying it to MakeMKV, to finding keys with FindVUK, this tool aims to do it all.

How do I use it?

Download the latest version from the post below. Unzip it to its own folder. When you run it for the first time, it'll download FindVUK and configure it all automagically. If it detects DVDFab on your system, it will enable the FindVUK button. More on that later. Once it's configured, you'll have access to an array of options.

What functions does it have?

Lots! As of right now:

FindVUK tab:
  • Synchronize - Synchronizes your KeyDB file. Additionally, it can copy the KeyDB file to MakeMKV if MakeMKV is detected and the Copy to MakeMKV checkbox on the Configuration page is checked. Finally, if you have files in your dump folder, once the synchronize is complete, it'll scan the KeyDB for you and notify you when keys for your titles have been added!
  • Submit Metadata - When you have a disc that isn't supported, use this option to have FindVUK submit the metadata for the disc to FindVUK so that maybe the title will be supported at some point
  • Drive Details - Show lots of information about all the drives connected to your system
  • FindVUK (optional) - If DVDFab is found on your machine, the FindVUK button is enabled. This will allow you to use the KeyDB Tools UI to drive FindVUK. This will attempt to find the unit key(s) for your title and add them to the KeyDB for you
AnyDVD tab:
  • Disc Info - Scans your selected disc (actual disc or mounted ISO) and displays a bunch of metadata. Additionally, if your disc has a KeyDB entry, it will display the KeyDB entry, as well
  • Disc Dump - When you have an unsupported disc that is not in the KeyDB, this will create a dump file that contains information that can be used to find the unit key(s) for the disc. Post the dump zip file in this thread or PM it to me and I will try to help.
  • Set KeyDB - Configures the KeyDB file and default search option in AnyDVD
Configuration tab:
  • Copy to MakeMKV - When visible and enabled, this will copy the KEYDB.cfg to your MakeMKV configuration directory. If you've changed the location of that directory, KeyDB Tools will locate it for you.

Development details - List of in progress/completed features:

FindVUK:

X) Download and configure FindVUK latest version
X) Check for DVDFab or PlayerFab to enable additional functionality in the KeyDB Tool for those that have them
P) Synchronize KeyDB, possibly automagically if it's over X hours old
X) Metadata upload for unsupported discs : ? will this work with mounted iso. Definitely works on discs <-- Narrator: It does, in fact, work on mounted ISOs. Nice
X) If DVDFab or PlayerFab found, enable finding keys with FindVUK!

AnyDVD:
X) Configure AnyDVD for KeyDB if needed
X) Create a zip file with enough info to help find keys (more on this much later) to be uploaded
X) Generate a report of scanned disc: AnyDVD status, KeyDB status, MKB version, disc metadata, etc. Will *NOT* use AnyDVD logs. I want this to be FAST
o) ISO/ISO Folder support for report generation and possibly other functions depending on what's possible

Configuration:
o) Ability to simplify editing of FindVUK ini options (selecting PlayerFab vs DVDFab, output folder for KeyDB, etc etc)
P) Ability to specify a list of directories to copy the KeyDB.cfg file to after a synchronize
o) More as things progress

Future:
o) Check for MakeMKV (I have some thoughts about how this could be helpful but I'm not ready to discuss those yet...has nothing to do with finding keys)

Logging:
X) Add rudimentary logging system output to your Documents/KeyDBTools folder...
o) Add WAY more logging events as I build out the code

X = completed, at least initially
P = partially completed
o = Still needs to be implemented

Last edited:
Version 1.0.1.1

• BETA version - Will have bugs!
  • Added Disc Info function to display information about your disc and KeyDB entry for it if there is one
  • Added Disc Dump function - If you have an unsupported disc with no KeyDB entry, this will create a dump for your disc that can be attached to this thread and I can possibly use it to help find a key
  • Synchronize checks your dump folder and if a new key has been found for any of the dumps in the folder you'll be notified and the dump file renamed
  • New Copy to MakeMKV checkbox on the Configuration tab (you're welcome @coopervid ;))
  • Fixed SelectDrive display issue
  • Added checks for AnyDVD running, kills it when running FindVUK, and reopens as needed
  • Hopefully better at killing FindVUK
  • Added more logic for MakeMKV detection...added a few things to the logging to help diagnose issues
  • Fix AnyDVD start bug (stupid windows paths!)
  • Added more logic to try to find MakeMKV
  • Added AnyDVD check for FindVUK
  • Added drive type check for FindVUK
  • Added protected disc check for FindVUK
  • Added Eject Disc toggle in Configuration (FindVUK option)
  • Added min AnyDVD version check if AnyDVD is running
  • Changed logic to close AnyDVD on FindVUK and reopen when complete
  • Crashing bug found during synchronize and a key is found for an unsupported title
  • More KeyDB entry parsing issues now fixed
  • Added VID extraction if MakeMKV is installed. Not really useful, but, a nice value to add to keydb entries when possible
  • Fixed a resolution issue (I hope) on drive selection screen

Only download: (because the forum keeps corrupting the attachment)
KeyDB Tools

Last edited:
Sometimes you may encounter an unsupported disc and want some help finding a key...

How to create and submit a dump file:

• Open KeyDB Tools, navigate to the AnyDVD tab
  • With your disc mounted, press the Disc Dump button
  • This will create a new dump folder in the same directory as your KeyDB_Tools.exe file
  • Attach the zip file for your disc from the dump folder to a post in this thread or you can PM it to me directly
Once you've created the dump file(s) for your title(s):
  • Periodically update your KeyDB.cfg file using the syncrhonize function on the FindVUK tab
  • If a key is found for one of your titles, the dump file is renamed and you are alerted that your title now has a key!

Last edited:
[CONTROL]
{
"minVersion": "1.0.0.6",
"minAnyDVDVersion": "8.6.8.1",
}
[/CONTROL]

Last edited:
Alright, as hoped for, I've released a limited edition Alpha of my code so people can play around with it. BUT....before you download and play around with it, please understand what ALPHA means. Bugs....this thing may or may not do what I expect it to. I'm not looking for bug submissions, design feedback, or any of that. Not yet. This is just a little teaser of what I'm working on.

In theory when you download, extract it to its own folder (trust me, you do not want to put this anywhere there's other files), and run it, if you don't hit a security error (don't worry, this is temporary while I'm building out the basics...just rerun it if you get a security error), you'll HOPEFULLY see that it's downloading FindVUK. WOO HOO. It'll then configure it automagically. By default I set it for DVDFab as the default program of choice. Those who know how to use FindVUK and have another option they use with it can edit the config file after the initial setup. Just know that messing in the findvuk.ini file could potentially break something in my code.

Once FindVUK is extracted and configured, it'll the open up the main UI like the picture I posted above. You can synchronize (updates your keydb.cfg file), generate and upload disc metadata (for those unsupported discs you're wanting to see support for), show drive information (a very nice display of all your drives and their various information), and if you have DVDFab or PlayerFab, you can even findvuk.

On the AnyDVD tab you'll see the Setup KeyDB option. This will check if AnyDVD is configured for the KeyDB.cfg and will set it if not. And if the KeyDB.cfg file doesn't exist, it'll run a synchronize for you to grab the latest.

I've done limited testing on all of this but as I said, Alpha.....be warned. If it blows stuff up, that's on you. But if you want to take a look at what I'm building, this is a good first look. Much more to come over the next days/weeks as I complete my vision for this project.

Enjoy!

Today's bit of fun involves a "Disc Info" button. This will scan your chosen disc, pulling metadata for it, and display it. It'll then use the DiscID and look for a matching entry in the KeyDB.cfg file, and will display that entry's information, as well. A nice little function to see information about your disc and if it has a key in the KeyDB for it. I'll release a new version later.

I'll test it tomorrow. How about also putting the keydb.cfg in the right Makemkv folder as we discussed it already?

Jesus calm down. :) LOL It's on my todo list in the first post under Configuration. I'm working on other functionality that's higher priority at the moment. Configuration will be the last bit of spit and polish I work on to make this a full release version. We're talking weeks here as I'm about to go on vacation next week. But I want to get some critical functionality done in the meantime. Stuff that may help me help everyone with their unsupported discs. I have one more piece of functionality I want to add before I do a new release tonight.

To be clear, I WILL get to the MakeMKV copy of the KeyDB file. Just later.

Version 1.0.0.0 BETA released

As you can see, I've been busy. This release likely has a frackton of bugs but I added a ton of functionality. So let's discuss that...

First up we'll discuss the configuration tab's new Copy to MakeMKV option. That will be visible if MakeMKV is installed. When this thing is checked, it'll copy/overwrite the KEYDB.cfg file in your .MakeMKV directory every time you synchronize. Don't worry, if you changed it from default, my code is smart enough to go hunting for it.

Next up is the new Disc Info button on the AnyDVD tab. This is pretty sweet. It opens up your selected disc (mounted ISO or actual disc, your choice) and displays a bunch of data from it. This isn't super useful other than providing some interesting info. Additionally, however, it then checks the KeyDB for your chosen title and displays the KeyDB entry for it if one exists. That's handy.

Next we have the heart of what I wanted to build with this project. I think you'll understand where I'm going with this and why I want to retire the Scanner. The Disc Dump button. Now this button has some logic behind it to prevent people from just creating dumps willy nilly. And that's a good thing. A dump is a zip file that contains enough information to help me find a key for your disc. Similar to how I've been using AnyDVD logs for that purpose over the past few months but infinitely more useful. You can post those dumps here in the thread or PM them to me. Either is fine. Now for the really kuel part. Let's say you're waiting for a key and you go into the KeyDB Tools to synchrronize your KEYDB.cfg file....

Synchronize has been updated with a little magic logic, as well. After the sync is complete, it scans your dump folder for titles you've created dumps for. If it finds a new KeyDB entry for your dump file, you'll be notified in KeyDB Tools and the dump file will be renamed to X-Y.found, where X is the volume label and Y is the disc ID. At this point your title should now be supported and you can go on your merry way. :)

This is a beta meaning it should work ok but may contain some bugs that will prevent it from doing what I want. That's inevitable. There's been a ton of under the covers changes, as well. No more time out releases. It now is centrally controlled so I can expire builds as needed. This is exactly like how the Scanner works today where I set a min version. I've started persisting the configuration, as well, so E.G. if you set the checkbox for the MakeMKV copy, it'll remember that next time you load the app and synchronize.

Happy playing! If you post dump files, I'll do my best to help find keys for them. Enjoy!

I'm looking forward to this new software.

Is it by design that the window is maximized at startup?

First, I tried it from the AnyDVD tab.

I tried pressing Disc Info.
The Select Drive window opens.
You can select the drive containing the disk, but there are no buttons or anything in the window, so you can't proceed any further.
I tried double-clicking the drive line, but there was still no response.

Disc Dump on the AnyDVD tab will also be in the same state as Disc Info.

It's most likely my environment, so I'll try a few different things.

Yes by design it's maximized but it has all the controls in the upper right so you can shrink it.

The drive selection dialog has two buttons at the bottom of the screen... select and cancel. You should be able to select the drive in the list and press select when that screen is up. That screen is used in many of the functions so if it's not working right for others I'll need to fix it.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Yes by design it's maximized but it has all the controls in the upper right so you can shrink it.

The drive selection dialog has two buttons at the bottom of the screen... select and cancel. You should be able to select the drive in the list and press select when that screen is up. That screen is used in many of the functions so if it's not working right for others I'll need to fix it.

Here, the button seems to be hidden below the drive select screen.
SelectDrive_Pic.png
If other people can display it without any problems, it must be a problem with my environment.

That's freaky. I'll take a look at that tomorrow. I may have messed something up. It does work fine on my machine but that's not saying much. Lol

Cosmetic: The top three buttons are not clearly separated from each other.

Starting FindVUK closes AnyDVD when DVDFab starts. Maybe you should consider checking if AnyDVD is running (starting it?) after using FindVUK.exe

You should mention / integrate a warning that if you run FindVUK that it needs a compatible drive. I had my Pioneer S12U with an UHD inside attached and of course FindVUK / Fab failed.

I need to do more testing but somehow FindVUK was still active after some stuff I tested but was only visible in task manager and I had to kill it there because got the message that keydb.cfg couldn't be opened.

I'm aware of all of those things. They'll all get fixed by the time I get this out of beta. There's actually more bugs than that, but that's a good amount of them. Lol. I could only get so much done in 3 days. Tonight will be to try to add some polish. But I still have missing functionality, as well, and that'll wait until after I get some of these issues fixed. Still I think it's pretty good progress so far. We'll get to a finished product in a few weeks. Then the real fun begins.

The idea behind this tool is to be able to add keys to the keydb faster. Once it's complete with all the functionality I have planned, it should help a lot of people.

Back