• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Issues with Nero Recode and AnyDVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must have missed something, sorry.

Yes.. it was this - no problem.

"They broke out a new thread for this discussion for a reason - so I'll limit further commentary to that thread."

-W

If your theory were correct, it would be x (variable) amount of files crashes Recode. I don't think that's what's going on here. The files aren't protected once they're ripped by Anydvd.

I've always suspected it was something to do with an ovewheming number of bogus title sets and now bogus menu sets.... perhaps truncated with one leading to the next etc etc. The files are not encrypted once ripped, but something is surely protecting them from Recode at least.

My basic theory is that whaterver it is, (it's the same studios over and over doing it) those studios are putting it there on purpose as a form of structural copy-protection and therefore it's not ultimately up to CloneDVD2, Nero Recode, DVDShrink 3.2 or any other "legal" copy-program to deal with it.

I still have a question on the floor if the full disk rip output of CloneDVD2 can import into Recode?? - just curious.

-W

Last edited:
I've always suspected it was something to do with an ovewheming number of bogus title sets and now bogus menu sets.... perhaps truncated with one leading to the next etc etc. The files are not encrypted once ripped, but something is surely protecting them from Recode at least.

No. It's not. It's a bug. I'm fairly certain protection has nothing to do with this issue. Pirates of the Carribean R1 (Curse of the Black Pearl) with lots of titlesets containing valid material locksup Recode.

Last edited:
I assume you mean Pirates Part I Dead Mans Chest ?? If so, that one was released before the SAW3 crap and may be an anomaly in and of itself. (?)

But the rest of the ones you listed seem to have a relationship with the A-hole studios known for strange structural protections. If it is a just a bug in Recode as you suspect, Then I'd suspect they (the studios) are now knowingly exploiting said bug to protect thier DVD's from Recode. After all, Nero is one of the big-boys in the copy-burning field. (if not the biggest)

Like I said; In the beginning it was Shrink that was geting horked while most versions of Nero Recode were spared. Back then, the improved AnyDVD ripper fixed that issue.
Now it seems that Nero is getting horked - and surprisingly Shrink is getting spared. My gut tells me this is deliberate on thier part, and that Nero wont care because THEY don't endorse or support the backing up of commercial titles anyway. And I'll betcha the studios would love to make it affect Shrink as well - if they can.

It just seems that finding out what's going on and modifying the AnyDVD ripper to remove it seems the easiest choice of options. To *me* those bogus menu-sets look pretty suspicious.....

-W

Rambo was just an example of a problematic disc for Recode. The simple fact is that if the litmus test passes (Shrink) and Recode fails then I don't see how AnyDVD is at fault. DVD-RB also passes. So, again, Recode is at fault.

Also, in the cases that I tested movies like Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End [I think it was the last one], Rambo, Good Luck Chuck, etc, I had removed the garbage titles but kept applicable movie-related extras when I ripped the disc to my HDD with CloneDVD so all I was left with empty titles instead of the garbage ones. If Recode can't handle that then give me a break. Nero needs to fix their program, period.

I assume you mean Pirates Part I Dead Mans Chest ?? If so, that one was released before the SAW3 crap and may be an anomaly in and of itself.

No. I'm talking about The Curse of the Black Pearl, the first movie. Dead Man's Chest works fine with Recode.

I'm pretty sure there's a serious problem there, and Recode handles Saw III, apparently. It doesn't handle Saw IV. I never tested Saw IV.

Recode can't import a full disc rip from the very first movie, The Curse of the Black Pearl, (including all menus, extras, etc.). Well, it can. But then the program hangs.

Last edited:
Rambo was just an example of a problematic disc for Recode. The simple fact is that if the litmus test passes (Shrink) and Recode fails then I don't see how AnyDVD is at fault. DVD-RB also passes. So, again, Recode is at fault.

Also, in the cases that I tested movies like Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End [I think it was the last one], Rambo, Good Luck Chuck, etc, I had removed the garbage titles but kept applicable movie-related extras when I ripped the disc to my HDD with CloneDVD so all I was left with empty titles instead of the garbage ones. If Recode can't handle that then give me a break. Nero needs to fix their program, period.

Nero may indeed need to fix thier program. I suggest writing to them and telling them that: "I'm having trouble copying (insert name of commercial copyprotected title here), even when I use Slysoft AnyDVD to break the copy-protection - can you please fix your program??" Then wait for them to stop laughing.

My point above is... that no matter WTF is going on, it's probably more likely that Nero took money from certain studios to introduce this "bug" to help thwart pirates than they are to actually want to fix it. Both thoughts are equally as preposterous to me. :)

I just don't see why anyone in the world except James could possibly be motivated to try to see what's going on here. We can all stop guessing once someone explains it.

None of us know what's up with this issue. But that doesn't mean you need to circle the wagons to keep AnyDVD out of the fray. Fact is, when all else fails, AnyDVD is usually the one that solves this crap.

I have a pretty long memory, and I remember that when Saw3 first came out, the "wagon circle" answer to Shrink users was that Shrink was "too old and unsupported - so just purchase CloneDVD and your problems will be over". It took almost a month of people whining to finally get a solid agreement to actually do something about it.

-W

Last edited:
The Eye is another one.

The Eye is another release by the same folks that brought you Rambo that Nero won't handle. Looks like Nero will soon be out of the game.

Do we know if this problem also occurs with Nero 7 version of Recode?

Yeah, with Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one, the Curse of the Black Pearl), for a full disc rip. Main movie only works.

I don't believe there's a conspiracy either (about Nero introducing a bug on purpose; I see no evidence to support that). I think it's far more likely they have a some weird bug and are not interested or are too lazy to fix it. And the bug has persisted since Nero 7. So they likely blame Anydvd, and say Recode isn't intended for backing up commercial movies. Pretty amusing that Dvd Shrink works fine and Recode doesn't . . .

Yeah, actually, now that I think about it Recode locked up on me with another disc that just had CSS on it--nothing else. I can't remember the title though. That was over a year ago. I don't know if it's the length of the film, the audio being used, or what, but Recode is a bug fest with lockups.

Last edited:
No. That doesn't explain why Pirates of Carribean R1 locks up Recode and not Shrink. There are no bogus titlesets. Your conclusion is faulty.

I think that is what he is talking about.. Problems Recode has and Shrink does not. So if it was truley a clean rip there should be no problem but something is getting by that Recode does'nt like.

Just my thoughts.........

I can tell you for a fact it is not AnyDVD or just AnyDVD because I have other tools to rip a DVD to the HDD and Nero won't deal with any rip of these two titles except movie only.

So if it was truley a clean rip there should be no problem but something is getting by that Recode does'nt like.

No. You're incorrect.
This is a completely clean rip I'm talking about. Recode chokes; Recode is simply bugged.

The fact of the matter is Dvd Shrink requires a fairly strict adherence to a dvd standard. If Shrink can handle something--anything should handle it.

Besides which, there's nothing getting by in the example I'm using. No protection at all. Recode simply hangs immediately after importing. It's pretty odd watching other programs that can't handle any protection on their own work while Recode chokes.

Last edited:
Well, this may be the case but I'm not going to tell you that your info is faulty.

I've been using DvdFab for years with Nero as well as Shrink and AnyDvd.Then one day after an update to DvdFab, I was unable to burn anything using Nero unless I run it through Shrink first. Kept giving me dvd structure errors. Everyone kept telling me that it was Nero's fault and that I should upgrade from version 6.6 to version 8. I've been using it with no problems until the update,so now why was it Nero's fault all of a sudden. Well, Fengtao looked in to it and found a bug in the program and released another update that fixed the problem the very next day in DvdFab.

Software is software and it all has bugs that do not like the bugs in other software. Thats why so many updates are released and for that I am very glad..

I've used Recode on some of the titles you mentioned (Full disk) without a problem.

Everybodys setup and rigs are different so this has a lot do with it also.

I'm not trying to be a smart A**. I'm just trying to be open minded and to not be so quick to point fingers at other software all the time. I also would not be so quick to tell people that their info is faulty.

It made sense to me what Clams Canino was saying. I didn't write any of these programs so I don't know if it's a bug in Recode or AnyDvd. It sounded like a good reason so I agreed with him (shooting in the dark) because we don't know, thats why we post.....Ok, I'm finished now... Sorry for the long post....

. Kept giving me dvd structure errors.

No one is getting dvd structure errors, and numerous people have reproduced the same issue, in particular, with Pirates of the Carribean R1, the first movie, (full disc including menus) using the latest version of Recode (since Recode in Nero 7). Recode simply hangs after importing a full disc rip.

Well, Fengtao looked in to it and found a bug in the program and released another update that fixed the problem the very next day in DvdFab.

Again, what you're describing has absolutely nothing to do with this issue. There isn't an error message. Recode simply hangs after import. Completely unrelated

I also would not be so quick to tell people that their info is faulty.

Your "info" has nothing to do with this issue. The problem I'm experiencing (and it's a problem that a number of people have corroborated) has nothing to do with what you're describing. Someone also told me (a long time ago now) the rip from RIT4ME couldn't be imported into Recode either. Kinda speaks volumes

Last edited:
I tried a full disc rip on both Rambo and The Eye from Fab and then tried Nero Recode 3, it choked on both. I have Nero 8 on Vista just for info.

Last edited:
For The Curse of the Black Pearl,

1. Full menu + all titles (so full disc) = Recode hangs

2. Full disc - menu (no menu) = Recode hangs

3. Full disc - title 3 (removed title 3, which doesn't really appear to be anything) = Recode hangs

4. Full disc - title 3 (removed title 3) - menu (removed menu) = Recode hangs

5. Main movie only = Recode works

Now this disc has over 40 other titles listed in Clonedvd, all containing valid material: extras, bonus features, previews, etc. I would surmise that Recode simply can't handle that much material/titlesets.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same story on Rambo and the Eye, I went in to compile DVD in Recode and removed empty titles and menus and it worked. Just too much stuff.

Pretty much the same story on Rambo and the Eye, I went in to compile DVD in Recode and removed empty titles and menus and it worked. Just too much stuff.

Okay, well, that's not a decrypter issue, obviously. That's Recode not being able to handle a lot of different titlesets, even if they contain valid material. So, that's a Recode bug.

Last edited:
Okay, well, that's not a decrypter. That's Recode not being able to handle a lot of different titlesets, even if they contain valid material.

I agree 100%, it is not a decrypter issue. I guess Shrink can handle the additional number of entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back