• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Issues with Nero Recode and AnyDVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
My responses 1) presume you own the original retail disc you are attempting to backup, 2) tend to represent myself only, and 3) do not necessarily represent the views of Slysoft nor its developers. I do not work for Slysoft.

:disagree:

Care to explain yourself?

This may or may not have a thing to do with the issue, but I selected each title and menu individually and totaled over 10GB. Picture attached.
That's enough to choke on if that is the way recode selects structure.

That's not the same problem. Recode simply hangs after importing The Curse of the Black Pearl. The disc imports--and then just as it's about to display audio information it hangs. You need to actually use task manager and close Recode (or click on the "x" in Vista).

You are able to actually import Rambo and not have the program hang. You need to rip first with Anydvd ripper, and then import that rip into Recode.

Then just uncheck the bogus material in Recode; then burn.

Last edited:
This is whats at the bottom of every post you make.

Your views are your views and do not represent Slysofts (or mine)

Some of your posts contradict your other posts.

Thats all...............

I can select compile a DVD within Recode, it does not import, the select the titles and menus I want. You are correct that if I try to import the entire rip from the HDD it freezes. If it sees the import as 10GB would it not freeze? 8.5 is the limit right?

I can select compile a DVD within Recode

Yeah, that's not the method being discussed in this thread.

You are correct that if I try to import the entire rip from the HDD it freezes.

Right.

If it sees the import as 10GB would it not freeze?

Should it freeze? No. Is that the reason? I don't think it's the size so much as the number of titles. I've seens cases in both Shrink and Recode with other dvds where these programs were indicating that more material existed than 8.5 gigs. They didn't crash. Typically, what you're seeing is usually due to bogus titlesets. You then just unselect the junk. That's certainly an annoying extra step, but doesn't mean Recode should lock up.

8.5 is the limit right?

For a +R DL, yes.

Last edited:
If you're going to post misinformation, I recommend you find somewhere else to do it. :policeman:[/QUOTE]

I'm not, go back and read some of your responses to mine.

:clap:

You have already.

go back and read some of your responses to mine.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. If you're saying that at one point I thought Anydvd might be able to address this issue, it's because at that point I didn't realize the problem was due Recode's seeming inability to handle a disc structure with a large number of titlesets.

Regardless, there is simply no way you followed the steps I outlined (it's 100% reproducible across all systems), and if you understood what the problem is you would realize that this bug needs to be fixed on Nero's end. There's nothing any program can do to fix this bug for Recode.

Last edited:
No, I have not...........

Exactly...........

Recodes not going to fix it and maybe Anydvd can.

Thats basicly what we have been talking about in the past 7 pages of posts. That is what Clams was talking about and that I agreed with...

:bang: So I stated what I wanted to try to get across but to no avail to you.

Let me just say that you won(if it makes you feel better) Not that we were having a battle. My stone wall seems to be just as sturdy as yours..

If you can't see that I was making an agreeing point, then I'm sorry...

You are so quick to prove everybody else is wrong you kinda lose the point to begin with..

I'm not here to argue with you nor do I want to. It's pointless and has nothing to do with what I was agreeing with Clams about.........:)

Should it freeze? No. Is that the reason? I don't think it's the size so much as the number of titles. I've seens cases in both Shrink and Recode with other dvds where these programs were indicating that more material existed than 8.5 gigs. They didn't crash. Typically, what you're seeing is usually due to bogus titlesets. You then just unselect the junk. That's certainly an annoying extra step, but doesn't mean Recode should lock up.

I don't think that's the cause iether. I've always leaned to quantity of titlesets.

But that said, If a commercial DL DVD is reporting 10.5 gigs of material to any copy program with AnyDVD running in the background. It's not exactly all cleaned up and ready for prime time iether :)

-W

AnyDVD has only so much capabilities, then you must rely on CloneDVD2 (recommended) to finish the detail of cleaning. If not then it is suggested that you rup with anydvd first then import to your favorite program. If you were to use AnyDVD's ripper then the resulting folder wouldn't have all this extra gigs in it at all. AnyDVD can't wave its magical wand and say that there id10+ gigs of nothing there and the true size. To do that I am willing to bet that AnyDVD would be resource intensive and that we don't want. So with anydvd running and putting reservation road in for example as it says 40 gigs on it, Rip that and it'll be 7.95 or something. I will try PoC 1 or 2 today as we all know 3 recode can't process and it really isn't an Anydvd issue but rather than a Nero Recode issue.

Shrink is, but there's an issue with Recode. It seems to me that if DvdShrink works, then Recode should as well. Recode users are out of luck with full disc backups (including main menus) of Rambo, Saw IV, The Golden Compass, and Pirates of the Carribean (first movie) even when Anydvd ripper is used; tell Nero to fix their program.

Should is the operative word here. It is a nero recode issue only, this may be actually intentional, who knows? Someone might burn a dual layer of this and then try to use recode to see if it will work that way? I ain't wasting a DL blank to test this personally, just an option for you all to try.

A quick (and important) question?? Can the output of the CloneDVD2 ripper be imported into Recode on these bad titles??

-W

Nope I tried CloneDVD2, DVD neXt COPY, 1click, DVDFab all freezes up Recode so it is a bug. even using dvdfab's decss too.

No. That doesn't explain why Pirates of Carribean R1 locks up Recode and not Shrink. There are no bogus titlesets. Your conclusion is faulty.

:agree:

... and Recode is just buggy?

:agree:

It's not as though Nero is going to fix their problem.

The responsibility should be with Nero, but again, they aren't going to fix their program.

Doesn't bother me. I don't compress video--and if I did, I wouldn't be using a transcoder.

Same here as I refuse to use a transcoder as well, a transcoder is a transcoder be it DVD Shrink, Recode, 1click etc.........

And last time it affected Shrink and not most versions of Recode - there's ultimately only one company that will solve it - and it ain't Nero.

-W

Correct and I recall this too but this time it is a different story. It is Nero's responsability to fix this issue. Trust me I had issues with AnyDVD and DVD neXt COPY and DNC had to fix the issue. :)

I've always suspected it was something to do with an ovewheming number of bogus title sets and now bogus menu sets.... perhaps truncated with one leading to the next etc etc. The files are not encrypted once ripped, but something is surely protecting them from Recode at least.

My basic theory is that whaterver it is, (it's the same studios over and over doing it) those studios are putting it there on purpose as a form of structural copy-protection and therefore it's not ultimately up to CloneDVD2, Nero Recode, DVDShrink 3.2 or any other "legal" copy-program to deal with it.

-W
The Recode is just refusing to see it as it wasn't never meant to be used this way and they fixed it so you can't use it anymore. Try Nero Recode on the nero 6 suite and see. The way I see it Recode has done some updates to stop this from taking place as a home video and and actual DVD file structure is different. Remove all the IFO's and BUP's and see if it will then process it?

The Eye is another release by the same folks that brought you Rambo that Nero won't handle. Looks like Nero will soon be out of the game.

This is a fair statement. I tested PoTc 1 the curse of the black pearl all afternoon and will do no more as my conclusion is it is a NERO issue!

"Same here as I refuse to use a transcoder as well, a transcoder is a transcoder be it DVD Shrink, Recode, 1click etc........."

Is there an encoder that doesn't take all day to do a movie?

"Same here as I refuse to use a transcoder as well, a transcoder is a transcoder be it DVD Shrink, Recode, 1click etc........."

Is there an encoder that doesn't take all day to do a movie?

No there isn't I know of one that doesn't use a transcoder but more of a one pass encoder ( Not sure though ) which is DVD neXt COPY. The only other option than that is DVD Rebuilder or DVD Rebuilder Pro which does take several hours about 2 to encode. All other programs use a transcoder that I know of.

By the way the issue with Nero Recode is that it can't process massive titlesets, run CloneDVD2 with PoTc 1 and then see all the titlesets involved. This is why Recode hangs, Thanks to Webslinger for pointing this out to me as well. Just a retaction from my last post. :D

Just did PotC 1 (black pearl)per Webslingers instructions in a previous post in this thread ripping the full disk to the Hdd and then using Recode. I had no problems with it at all. I had done this before but wanted to try my luck again and it worked just as before. The only difference is my Recode version is 2.2.6.17 and not 2.5.4.0 and above as Webslinger stated.

Yes, Recode has bugs just like all software does and I'm not debunking that.
System specs(hardware, firmware, bios,software versions and OS)do play a role in the outcome as you all know...

If Anydvd wanted to make a fix (work around) in their software for Recodes short falls, they could but it's not their bug to worry about. I don't care if they do or not cause I seldom ever use Recode but others may....

Last edited:
Just did PotC 1 (black pearl)per Webslingers instructions in a previous post in this thread ripping the full disk to the Hdd and then using Recode. I had no problems with it at all. I had done this before but wanted to try my luck again and it worked just as before. The only difference is my Recode version is 2.2.6.17 and not 2.5.4.0 and above as Webslinger stated.

This is why. Use Recode in version 8 suite and see if it does it again.

The only difference is my Recode version is 2.2.6.17 and not 2.5.4.0 and above as Webslinger stated.

Thank you for finally confirming that you didn't do what I originally outlined (in very simple steps). Recode has been broken in this respect at least since 2.5.4.0 (between Nero 7 point something) through to and including 3.1.2.0 (up until now in Nero 8 ).

System specs(hardware, firmware, bios,software versions and OS)do play a role in the outcome as you all know...

No. It makes no difference what your hardware specs are. Recode version does matter, but I already stated what versions to use, so that's no longer a variable. It's 100% reproducible. Everyone experiences this, across all systems.

If Anydvd wanted to make a fix (work around) in their software for Recodes short falls, they could

No. That's utterly impossible. You just simply don't understand what the problem is. Open up PotC1 in Clonedvd and look at the number of titlesets. I think there's 52 (or something around there; I'm not going to bother looking again). This is most likely explanation for the reason why Curse of the Black Pearl hangs Recode, but the other two discs in the series don't (they have far fewer titlesets). Recode can't handle that many titlesets. What's Slysoft going to do? Remove half of the disc so that there are less titlesets? Not happening. This is totally Nero's problem.

Nero didn't purposely change Recode to have this bug. They just have a bug in Recode and are too lazy (or possibly too stupid) to acknowledge it. If Nero wanted to block Recode from being used with commercial movies, they need to do a helluva lot more work since 90% of all dvd releases still work with the latest version of Recode, regardless of this bug. In other words, if they introduced this bug for the sole purpose of trying to defeat people who are backing up dvds, this bug is pretty ineffective since the vast majority of commercial releases still work with Recode.

Last edited:
Thank you for finally confirming that you didn't do what I originally stated. Recode has been broken in this respect since 2.5.4.0 (between Nero 7 point something and until now in Nero 8 ).

Originaly when this was being discussed the Version of Recode never came into play until later on in the thread but thats fine. I did mention that I was using Nero 6.6. Just an oversight, I have no arguments..

No. It makes no difference what your system specs are. Software version does matter, but I already stated what versions to use, so that's no longer a variable. It's 100% reproducible. Everyone experiences this, across all systems.

I feel that they do because if they didn't why would firmware updates and bios updates be released to correct issues and conflicts(with hardware and software) as well as make improvements. Same with different hardware configurations. Being a gamer and beta tester, I can attest to this...
No. That's utterly impossible. You just simply don't understand what the problem is. Open up PotC1 in Clonedvd and look at the number of titlesets. I think there's 52 (or something around there; I'm not going to bother looking again). This is most likely explanation for the reason why Curse of the Black Pearl hangs Recode, but the other two discs in the series don't. Recode can't handle that many titlesets. What's Slysoft going to do? Remove half of the disc so that there are less titlesets? Not happening. This is totally Nero's problem.

No , it's not utterly impossible but like I said,I don't care because I don't use it very often where others may. It's not Slysofts problem. Now where it's Nero's problem, I agree and have have agreed with you the whole time.

Nero didn't purposely changed Recode to have this bug. They just have a bug in Recode and are too lazy (or possibly too stupid) to acknowledge it. If Nero wanted to block Recode from using commercial movies, they need to do more work since 90% of all dvd releases still work with Recode, regardless of this bug.

I also agree 100% with you on this too...

Wow Webslinger, we have made some progress, we actually agree on some things.
:)

Last edited:
Originaly when this was being discussed the Version of Recode never came into play until later on in the thread but thats fine. I did mention that I was using Nero 6.6. Just an oversight, I have no arguments.

I quite clearly stated (http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=114337&postcount=56) what version(s) of Recode to use. You said you followed my instructions. You, in fact, quoted me and replied:
Frank said:
I have and have no problems

My response is again that "No. You haven't".

How would I have known? Well, this leads into the following . . .

I feel that they do because if they didn't why would firmware updates and bios updates be released to correct issues and conflicts(with hardware and software) as well as make improvements. Same with different hardware configurations. Being a gamer and beta tester, I can attest to this...

I'm also a heavy gamer, and I've also beta tested a fair number of software programs. I've also been known to build systems. What you've just written has absolutely nothing to do with being able to reproduce this specific issue with Recode. With respect to being able to reproduce this issue with Recode, it doesn't matter one whit what your system specs are or what bios versions you're using (provided, of course, that the system being used is capable of running Anydvd and Recode). All anyone has to do is follow the very simple steps I outlined; the bug is 100% reproducible.

No , it's not utterly impossible

Quite frankly then, you don't understand the problem, and I'm not interested in continuing this conversation. It would be one thing if it were a matter of cleaning up bogus titlesets, but it's not. It's Recode's problem for not being able to accept the dvd standard; the onus lies with Nero. Anything else you introduce here as a possibility lies outside the realm of being reasonable and will be little more than dancing around the word "impossible" (if you wish to nitpick, then you're going to have to find someone else to argue with).

but like I said,I don't care because I don't use it very often

I don't either. But many do. And they PM me (despite my signature), complaining about something that's not Anydvd's fault (plus I'm not a Slysoft developer, so there's nothing I could do about it anyway). So I find the bug annoying.

Good day

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back