• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Issues with Nero Recode and AnyDVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your theory were correct, it would be x (variable) amount of files crashes Recode.

Actually, I think that might be what's going on here. It happens with lots of titlesets containing valid material.

I agree 100%, it is not a decrypter issue. I guess Shrink can handle the additional number of entries.

Yep, that makes the most sense.

I wonder what specific number x is?

Greater than 30 or something?

That would be too annoying to test for. I'd need to create discs with a diminishing number of titlesets to figure it out. I'm not testing this. It's Nero's problem.

Last edited:
Actually, I think that might be what's going on here. It happens with lots of titlesets containing valid material.

Glad to see you can catch up. :D

Don't be too quick to try to disprove the rule by shining a spotlight at the exception.

I never thought it was an encryption issue, but if the studios are loading up DVD's with bogus title sets to try to hork copy programs, then it's still in the realm of a copy-protection issue of sorts.

(yes, yes, I know Pirates were all valid - I'm talking about today and now and all the new titles doing it on purpose.

Yes, I think Nero needs to adress this, but it would save a lot of headaches of James could also look at a way for the AnyDVD rip be free of bogus titlesets (and menusets) to begin with. You do realize that once the studios get wind that this is working, they'll just do more of it - right?

-W

Glad to see you can catch up.

Don't be too quick to try to disprove the rule by shining a spotlight at the exception.]

Are you kidding me? Let me quote you:

However, if certain newer PROTECTIONS are now sneaking past the AnyDVD ripper and causing problems with Recode and/or Shrink; don't just point the finger at Nero

Let me quote you again:

the UNDERLYING problem is that all the structural PROTECTIONS are not getting removed by the AnyDVD ripper to begin with

You're mistaken, Clams. This is not a protection issue. It's a bug in Recode.

(yes, yes, I know Pirates were all valid)

Well, this clearly indicates that it's not a decrypter issue. So, thank you for finally recognizing that.

I was mistaken for not thinking it had to do with the number of titles on a disc, but at least I can admit it.
Can you admit this problem has nothing to do with protection?

Yes, I think Nero needs to adress this, but it would save a lot of headaches of James could also look at a way for the AnyDVD rip be free of bogus titlesets (and menusets) to begin with.

That's still not going to fix the problem with Pirates of the Caribbean (and discs like them). Valid material is not an exception. That's not a protection issue; that's just Recode screwing up. That's Recode not being able to handle valid material.

You do realize that once the studios get wind that this is working, they'll just do more of it - right?

Just for Recode? Recode's the only program I know of with this bug. And it is a bug.

Trust me: they don't care about Recode.

Last edited:
To clarify....... I agree the Pirates problem is nothing to do with protection.

The real underlying question remains as to WHY the studios are putting an increasing number of do-nothing bogus title (and menus) on thier current crop of DVD's?

I repeat: **WHY** are they doing this if not for copy-protection of some sorts? WHY?

What I'm really concerned with, is that for now it's only affecting Nero - what happens when they add more? I always get concerned when any Software Company says "it's thier bug - so it's got nothing to do with us". I agree it's thier bug.... but it may have eveything to do with us all in the long run. I just find it a poor starting place to get answers when you try to spin away from the underlying issue as fast as possible.

-W

The real underlying question remains as to WHY the studios are putting an increasing number of do-nothing bogus title (and menus) on thier current crop of DVD's?

First it should be noted that the studios that incorporate this protection into their releases are in the minority. So these recent releases you're referring to are the exception and not the rule (I would imagine they also have to pay extra for the use of that protection--and for development of it, at least).

In answer to your question, they are trying to break Ripit4me (which a lot of people still use), Anydvd ripper, and dvdfab. They really don't care about dvd reauthoring programs, such as Recode.

I agree it's thier bug.... but it may have eveything to do with us all in the long run. I just find it a poor starting place to get answers when you try to spin away from the underlying issue as fast as possible.

I'm not spinning away from anything. The developers of Anydvd cannot control bugs in other software. Pirates of the Caribbean is just an example I've come across. Who knows how many other discs that do not contain bogus titlesets also cause Recode to hang? I would speculate that it's safe to say there are other dvds out there with lots of valid titlesets that also cause Recode to hang.

Last edited:
To clarify....... I agree the Pirates problem is nothing to do with protection.

I repeat: **WHY** are they doing this if not for copy-protection of some sorts? WHY?

What I'm really concerned with, is that for now it's only affecting Nero - what happens when they add more? I always get concerned when any Software Company says "it's thier bug - so it's got nothing to do with us". I agree it's thier bug.... but it may have eveything to do with us all in the long run. I just find it a poor starting place to get answers when you try to spin away from the underlying issue as fast as possible.

-W
The DVD standard allows 99 title sets + video manager. So, if putting 99 title sets on a disc crashes a particular software product, it is the fault of this particular software product.
End of story.

First it should be noted that the studios that incorporate this protection into their releases are in the minority. So these recent releases you're referring to are the exception and not the rule (I would imagine they also have to pay extra for the use of that protection--and for development of it, at least).

In answer to your question, they are trying to break Ripit4me (which a lot of people still use), Anydvd ripper, and dvdfab. They really don't care about dvd reauthoring programs, such as Recode.

OK......... at least we've all finally agreed it's being primarily used as a method of protection. :bang:

-W

The DVD standard allows 99 title sets + video manager. So, if putting 99 title sets on a disc crashes a particular software product, it is the fault of this particular software product.
End of story.

Agreed. How many bogus menu sets are allowed in adddition to or combined with the above?

-W

I have no idea what a "menu set" is. :confused:

This is where the terminology might fail me. :)

But using Rambo R1 as an example, under the menus folder there's 18 folders (VTS1 thru VTS 18) each with subfolders; however VTS 2-18 are all bogus and each has subfolders. Do those all add toward allowed count??

-W

No one is getting dvd structure errors, and numerous people have reproduced the same issue, in particular, with Pirates of the Carribean R1, the first movie, (full disc including menus) using the latest version of Recode (since Recode in Nero 7). Recode simply hangs after importing a full disc rip.

Again, what you're describing has absolutely nothing to do with this issue. There isn't an error message. Recode simply hangs after import. Completely unrelated

Your "info" has nothing to do with this issue. The problem I'm experiencing (and it's a problem that a number of people have corroborated) has nothing to do with what you're describing. Someone also told me (a long time ago now) the rip from RIT4ME couldn't be imported into Recode either. Kinda speaks volumes

You are missing the point...That was an example to help get the point across...:bang: Kinda like the example you are using with RipIt4Me..

Do me a favor and take your time and read it again (with an open mind)..If your still are quick to shoot down other peoples points, then go ahead and close this thread. There's no point in going on anyhow.............

This is where the terminology might fail me. :)

But using Rambo R1 as an example, under the menus folder there's 18 folders (VTS1 thru VTS 18) each with subfolders; however VTS 2-18 are all bogus and each has subfolders. Do those all add toward allowed count??
Every title set can have many menus in different languages.

This Recode bug has already been illustrated to have nothing to do with protection. Period

Then why is it I do not encounter this bug? Maybe it's because I'm using an older version..Like I said before, everybodys computers and software versions differ. 98% of the problems posted on this site with dvd's, Shrink,Nero burning rom,Recode,Anydvd and the like,I don't seem to encounter. That I am glad of.

I'm not saying that Recode does not have bugs because all software does! Like Clams said before, if anyone one can fix this it will be Anydvd. Though it's not Anydvd's bug, a work around could be written in for those using Recode.

Then why is it I do not encounter this bug?

It's pretty simple:

1. Take The Curse of the Black Pearl Region 1.

2. Rip a full disc--everything (menus, previews, etc.)

3. Use any version of Nero Recode from version 2.5.4.0 onward (Nero Recode version--not Nero version).

4. Run Recode. Click "Recode an Entire DVD to DVD"

5. Click "import dvd". Select the ripped file folder (video_ts) you created in step 2.

6. Watch Recode hang after it imports the disc

This has nothing to do with anyone's system specs. And it's a Recode bug. And everyone can reproduce it.

Here's another example:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=85256&postcount=21

and

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=85250&postcount=17

Both Pirates of the Caribbean 2 (Dead Man's Chest) and Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At The World's End R1 work fine with Recode. There are far less titlesets on those two discs than on the first one, The Curse of The Black Pearl. Coincidence? No way.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple:

1. Take The Curse of the Black Pearl R1.

2. Rip a full disc--everything (menus, previews, etc.)

3. Use any version of Nero Recode from 2.5.4.0 onward.

4. Run Recode. Click "Recode an Entire DVD to DVD"

5. Click "import dvd". Select the ripped file folder you created in step 2.

Watch Recode hang after it imports the disc

This has nothing to do with anyone's system specs. And it's a Recode bug. And everyone can reproduce it.

I have and have no problems...

Not saying it's not a bug....

System specs and software versions can and do affect the outcome...

Like I said on numerous times, I'm not saying that Recode does not have bugs.. I'm agreeing with Clams that if anyone could fix it,it would be Anydvd...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have and have no problems...

No. You haven't.

System specs

No.

and software versions can and do affect the outcome...

No. I stated quite clearly what versions of Recode to use (2.5.4.0 onward); software versions are no longer a variable.

I'm agreeing with Clams that if anyone could fix it,it would be Anydvd...

No one can fix this except Nero.

Last edited:
This may or may not have a thing to do with the issue, but I selected each title and menu individually and totaled over 10GB. Picture attached.
That's enough to choke on if that is the way recode selects structure.

Attachments

• Rambo.jpg
    Rambo.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 5
My responses 1) presume you own the original retail disc you are attempting to backup, 2) tend to represent myself only, and 3) do not necessarily represent the views of Slysoft nor its developers. I do not work for Slysoft.

:disagree:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back