• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

.iso input in CloneBD

as to the software just google "samsung magician" :) Should be enough. Can't say 100% sure there's drivers, at least W10 has pretty good SSD support. Just the magician thing can make additional tweaks for "maximum performance" etc

as to the software just google "samsung magician"...

Ch3vron,

In REALLY fine print at the bottom of the SSD box there is mention of www.samsung.com/samsungssd for finding product info.

Went there.

There's a host of drivers and yes, the Magician as well. However, most of it is for other Samsung SSD models. For example, the Magician is just for 470 thru 960 Series SSDs.

The one thing here for T3 is "Activation Software".

Downloaded it and it allowed me to name the T3 and set a password.

I ran another file copy afterward and this time transfer speed went up to 100 Mbytes per sec.

That's a 67% increase (over 60 Mbytes per sec).

Still not the 300 - 400% speed increase I was expecting but at least heading in the right direction...

T

@Ch3vr0n

@Adbear

... I ran another file copy afterward and this time transfer speed went up to 100 Mbytes per sec...

... and subsequent test only went to 60....

... The one thing here for T3 is "Activation Software".

Downloaded it and it allowed me to name the T3 and set a password...

.. and apparently that's all it did.

Guys, the bottom line I think is that I am getting no performance benefit from this particular SSD.

I've run many a test and the highest transfer rate I can get is 100 MB/s --- BUT I can also get that with my regular hard drives.

CloneBD performance enhancement is minimal to none.

BTW, Samsung's online support for this drive is abysmal as far as I can see.

No drivers, no tweaking software, no firmware upgrades, no user manual (that might tell you for example that the T3 HATES USB hubs, a fact I had to learn the hard way).

I'm gonna try one more thing.

I have a USB Type C-to-C cable on order that should arrive Wednesday or so.

Maybe the T3 will shine via it's USB 3.1 interface. Otherwise, I'm gonna return it.

Thank you all for your input on this.

T

When running your tests what are you doing? If you are just transferring from the internal mechanical drive to the external or vice versa then you are going to be limited by the speed of the slowest drive, that's why you should try using a proper drive testing program as that doesn't rely on using another drive that may be slower it does direct read and writes only to the drive you are testing.

For burst speeds you could try Atto disk bench mark. It's free you just have to apply for it on the website and they email you a link.

Personally I use HDDScan which is also free, and if you run a surface test it can check the complete surface of the whole drive for read and write and gives a graph, although when writing to the disc it does destroy any data on the disc so make sure you don't leave anything on there you want. One thing to check when using HDDScan though is when running a write test check the 3rd tab, if it is showing a continuous 'slow block' list for every block reboot then test again as sometimes it doesn't mount the drive properly so every block appears slow

When running your tests what are you doing? If you are just transferring from the internal mechanical drive to the external or vice versa then you are going to be limited by the speed of the slowest drive....

Adbear, that sheds a different light on this for me.
For example, what if that 100MB/s is the fastest speed my C drive can deliver data? I didn't think of that...

But I believe I did run a CloneBD test where the SSD was the input, temp and output and still no improvement. That kind of test is independent of my internal drive and @Ch3vr0n explained there would be no bottleneck if using SSD for all 3. I'll re-run that test and see what happens.

If even that test shows no difference, then I can't use the SSD. Because I bought it to improve CloneBD performance.

For burst speeds you could try Atto disk bench mark. It's free you just have to apply for it on the website and they email you a link.

Personally I use HDDScan which is also free

Thanks for these suggestions!!!

I will try these drive test programs just to know if the SSD is functioning properly.

Because at this point, I have my doubts.

Will let you know results.

T

Last edited:
You could bring up task manager when running the tests and see what it thinks the transfer speeds are for the drive. I'm running a 'Full disc' test shrinking to 25GB, all on the same drive and it peaks around 185MB/s using my laptops GTX 1060, although it does go up and down depending on what it's doing

You could bring up task manager when running the tests and see what it thinks the transfer speeds are for the drive. I'm running a 'Full disc' test shrinking to 25GB, all on the same drive and it peaks around 185MB/s ...

185. Wow.

I ran a Full Disc compress to 25G of a 38G Blu Ray folder. Folder, Temp and output Folder on SSD.

Intel QuickSync acceleration ON.

Ran for 28 mins with min/avg fps of 132/171 (so glad fps info is now on final screen!). Respectable, but this is pretty much what I get using normal HDs.

Task Manager says disk transfer is around 35 - 40 MB/s.

I take it you're not using SSD and you're getting 5- 6 times the transfer speed.

T

The disk I was using was an SSD.
it may be a limit of the Intel GPU as I don't have one to test right now. My laptop uses a desktop i7 6700K, but doesn't have access to the Intel GPU

The disk I was using was an SSD.

Oh, ok. You're getting a real benefit from yours.

I will assume yours is SATA. Got a feeling USB SSD's are not of the same quality.

My laptop uses a desktop i7 6700K

Laptop uses a desktop CPU? Cool.

I would love to have an i7. But for now, my i5 will have to do.

All I can do now is wait for the cable Wednesday to see if USB 3.1 proves any better.

If not, USB SSD is not for me right now.

T

Are you running Windows 10, if so you may want to try forcing in the Intel USB 3 Win 7 driver as that speeded up my external USB 3 caddy. Prior to doing this the USB 3 caddy only ran at around 100MB/s, after it runs at the max speed of the USB 3 caddy

You can find instructions on how to force in the USB 3 driver Here

Are you running Windows 10, if so you may want to try forcing in the Intel USB 3 Win 7 driver as that speeded up my external USB 3 caddy. Prior to doing this the USB 3 caddy only ran at around 100MB/s, after it runs at the max speed of the USB 3 caddy

Yes I am running Win 10.

Adbear, maybe that 's the root of the problem! I mentioned earlier that it seemed 100MB/s was some kind of transfer rate "wall" on my computer.

Took a quick glimpse at the instructions and - swish - went way over my head. But that's prolly cause I haven't gotten any sleep yet.

Gonna get some rest and then tackle this later today.

Thanks a million!

T

It's fairly easy. You have to install the certificate as admin, once that's done it's just a case of forcing the drivers in in turn

If I can add a smattering... There are other reasons for using SSDs when you can. For example, while CloneBD is rendering an .mkv, I can do other copying (sometimes copying 3-4 different things simultaneously) to/from the SSD drive and it doesn't impact CloneBD's work.

If you've tried this with HDDs, you can listen to them beating themselves to death with all the head movement around the platters and each individual copy /write slows to a crawl.

he was advised of that capability of SSD's i think by me somewhere on page 2. I'm never building a system again without an ssd :)

Ooops, missed your mention of it when I was reading the thread. Sorry. I agree with your SSD sentiments. IMO, all boot drives should be SSD at this point, reserving HDDs for large storage.

no need to be sorry. Can't hurt to say it again. I sometimes miss things too :)

while CloneBD is rendering an .mkv, I can do other copying (sometimes copying 3-4 different things simultaneously) to/from the SSD drive and it doesn't impact CloneBD's work.

Actually, what I took from Ch3vron's previous comment was that CloneBD as one application could use the SSD for multiple "threads", input, temp and output, but it never occurred to me that a completely different app could be using the SSD as well and it would not impact CloneBD. That really is a great benefit.

Thanks NG....uh, and more.

I'm about to start on the driver change Adbear suggested in a few...

@Ch3vr0n, do you think I need to stop adding to this thread and make a new one about the advantages ... and issues ... of SSD? Or are we good?

T

Nah we're good. I'll move it to a better forum section side we've long ago went off topic of the original query.

... if so you may want to try forcing in the Intel USB 3 Win 7 driver as that speeded up my external USB 3 caddy. Prior to doing this the USB 3 caddy only ran at around 100MB/s, after it runs at the max speed of the USB 3 caddy

You can find instructions on how to force in the USB 3 driver Here

OMG.

It's not just that I was tired earlier, I really am in over my head here.

Just to get me started, let me ask 3 questions...

1) Since I don't really know what I'm doing, I plan to create a restore point before getting started. That way, if I install the drivers wrong or something else happens catastrophic, I can just restore the system to that restore point and get back to the current USB drivers.

Is that correct?

2) There seems to be concern with temporarily losing mouse and keyboard functionality during the install.

On the laptop in question, I'm using the touchpad and laptop keyboard. If push-comes-to-shove and that somehow stops working, it's a touchscreen so I can use finger and on-screen keyboard.

But I don't think either would be affected by USB drivers. Am I right here?

3) On the webpage, seen here...

USB 3.0 Controllers.JPG

... I'm assuming you're talking about the Intel USB drivers in a), not modded ones offered in b).

Would I need the "pure 64-bit driver" or the "complete driver and software set for Win 7"?

Thanks in advance.

T

Last edited:
Back