• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

.iso input in CloneBD

testiles

UHD Guru
Does anyone know if there is any advantage -- in performance or output quality -- to directly using an unprotected .iso file as input to CloneBD, as opposed to pre-mounting the file in Virtual CloneDrive and pointing CloneBD to that drive?

T

Last edited:
None whatsoever. The only difference is how it's read. It's still sitting on the same hard drive. And how read read something has no impact at all on the output quality. That's solely determined by the output settings you just.

Ok. That was my gut feeling, Ch3vron.

But then I wondered if CloneBD directly accessing the .iso file would avoid an extra layer of processing that would happen if VCD handled the .iso first.

And that that "extra layer" could slow down the process or degrade the output a bit.

Guess I still have one foot in the analog world where the more you process an input the more it will deteriorate.

Thanks,

T

It won't. The read speed is still determined by the type of drive is on (mechanical vs ssd) and in case of a mechanical how fragmented the file is. Other than that whether you read the file directly or mount it first it won't suddenly be more or less fragmented. It's just a different reading method

... The read speed is still determined by the type of drive is on (mechanical vs ssd) ...

Ch3vron,

We spoke about a two-step process (perhaps in another thread) -- copying Blu Ray discs to Hard Drive with AnyDVD, then processing from Hard Drive with CloneBD ...

... Do you think I could significantly speed it up by getting an SSD as you mention here instead of the USB Hard Drives I am currently using with my laptop?

It would seem to me that the first step would not get any faster because it's limited by the read speed of the optical drive, but maybe the subsequent processing on CloneBD would be faster. Is that right?

And if so, by what factor would speed increase? Ballpark...

Uprgrading a little to take better advantage of the h/w acceleration and trying to decide if getting a faster optical drive or swapping to SSD first would give me the biggest bang for the buck.

T

You could quadruple your speed. Since ssd's have no moving parts there's very little speed restrictions. If you get a USB one you'll only be limited by the speed the USB bus allows. My 850 evo has a read/write speed of about 540MB/sec. That's faster than any hdd can deliver. Using my ssd as source and target drive + gpu acc I get up to 500fps encoding easy.

My 850 evo has a read/write speed of about 540MB/sec. That's faster than any hdd can deliver. Using my ssd as source and target drive + gpu acc I get up to 500fps encoding easy.

Ok, so you're using the SSD for the source file, temp and output directory of CloneBD and you get that kind of conversion rate?

Uhhhhhh-mazing!

I think then I will first get the SSD and upgrade my optical drive later. I got my eye on a Samsung USB SSD w/ 250G which is currently going for under $100 ...

I'm blown away by those numbers, man !!!

T

well I am not using an SSD just the normal HDD and I am getting on high speed 530 fps converting Ghostbusters.
when using High Quality speeds are 320 fps very happy with them
using gtx1070 cpu i7 6700k not overclocked
guys you are doing great work on the program very happy

well I am not using an SSD just the normal HDD and I am getting on high speed 530 fps converting Ghostbusters.
when using High Quality speeds are 320 fps very happy with them
using gtx1070 cpu i7 6700k not overclocked

That's great, Shadow! High quality is my preference - that 320 fps more than respectable.

I guess it's your CPU that's getting you such great speeds.

Changing my CPU is not an option for me right now, so I will have to focus on upgrading my optical drive and Hard Drive - things I can do external to the laptop...

T

Last edited:
I checked using the ssd and their is no difference for me on speeds on my ssd so decided to use HDD instead as less chance of killing the ssd with constant writing/reading
anyway good luck in making it work
Go ClondBD:bowdown:

I checked using the ssd and their is no difference for me on speeds on my ssd so decided to use HDD instead as less chance of killing the ssd with constant writing/reading

Did you use the SSD for the input file, the CloneBD temp directory and the output directory?

No I did not only the standard 3tb HDD for both input and output files
my system is running great at the moment with windows 10 64bit
ssd runs the program but iso or m2ts file is on normal mechanical hdd
I use anydvd to rip of the disc to hdd then transcode between 5 to 7 gb file using mkv don't like mp4 as subs are a pain :)

How full or fragmented is the 3TB drive, as they fill up the drive speeds can drop from over 250MB/s to down to around 130MB/s so depending on how full it is and how fragmented the speeds may vary

No I did not only the standard 3tb HDD for both input and output files

I'm just wondering if you'll see a significant difference if you use the SSD for the input and output as well.....

T

checked with my ssd
high quality still around 320 fps
full speed still around 530 fps give or take a bit:dance:

Now try with mechanical drive to mechanical and ssd to mechanical and you'll see the impact an ssd will have on being the target drive. Don't change the encoding quality, just swap target drives.

checked with my ssd
high quality still around 320 fps
full speed still around 530 fps give or take a bit:dance:

I don't know what to make of that. I mean, you're getting excellent performance, but no additional benefits from using SSD it seems.

Maybe you have hit the performance ceiling for your setup without it.

At any rate, kudos for such great conversion rates. I know you must be very pleased.

I'm working on getting there but it will take a while as I gradually improve my setup.

T

Just did some more tests on my system with movie queen of the dame
ssd to ssd 490fps
ssd to Hdd 490fps
hdd to hdd 480fps
so not much different for me on speeds so il will just use the standard hdd to save my ssd
Samsung evo 850 ssd
i7 6700k not overclocked
shuttle case
16gb mem
asus gtx 1070 turbo:bowdown:

... so not much different for me on speeds so il will just use the standard hdd to save my ssd...

Makes sense to me....

Glad you tried it out though. At least now you know not a great benefit for you.

At 480 fps you are at light speed anyway. Not much the difference between light speed and light speed + 10 mph (lol).

Because I'm nowhere near that level of performance, I'm sure I will see a difference with the SSD.

I'll be getting one in a couple of weeks and can't wait to try it all out....

T

Back