• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

.iso input in CloneBD

Just did some more tests on my system with movie queen of the dame
ssd to ssd 490fps
ssd to Hdd 490fps
hdd to hdd 480fps

Hey Shadow. One more question occurs to me...

When you get these conversion speeds are they with or without CloneBD doing any transcoding?

T

making final file 5gb

Ok, I guess that's with transcoding.

Ch3vron, I figured yours was with transcoding as well.

I realized it makes a big difference when I finally did a run that didn't require any transcoding and my conversion rate jumped up into the 700's!

I have NEVER seen CloneBD work that fast on my laptop.

Of course, it's doing a helluva lot less work when there's no transcoding involved.

I really like the numbers that this new release of CloneBd is bringing.

On my desktop, which is ineligible for acceleration, if I use Highest Speed I can get up in the 70's fps. This computer has never seen more than 2 fps in previous versions.

So even without acceleration, 1.1.0.0 is smoking!

Good job guys at Elby!!!

T

I am in conversion heaven. :)

On one conversion, that had Acceleration ON, Highest Quality, but did not require any transcoding, my laptop hit over 1100 fps!!!

Again, no transcoding but it was just cool to see that high a number.

Finished converting a 24G movie in 6 minutes 17 seconds!

Got up to get a juice and it was dooooone, dude (lol)

T

@Ch3vr0n

Ok, my SSD is arriving tomorrow. The Samsung T3 USB as previously mentioned, but 500G, not 250. :dance:

In earlier testing, I have found CloneBD performance slows down if you use the same drive for both input and output. So since I will just have the one for now, do you recommend using it as input to CBD or as output for the biggest bang?

Or is it better to use the SSD as the temp directory? Or some combination?

What's your take?

T

If you want maximum performance, use it as source, temp AND output target drive. The slowing down only happens with mechanical drives. Since SSD's don't have moving parts, just memory chips, you won't have that problem even if you use it as source, temp and target drive. Your only limiting factor will be the USB throughput speed. I often do encodes now from mechanical and have temp and final output SSD and achieve maximum speed. This due to the fact that all the mechanical drive has to do is read the data and feed it to the encoder, and the SSD is fast enough to keep up with what the encoder wants to write to SSD (500MB+/s, faster than any 7200rpm mechanical drive).

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk.

If you want maximum performance, use it as source, temp AND output target drive. The slowing down only happens with mechanical drives. Since SSD's don't have moving parts, just memory chips, you won't have that problem even if you use it as source, temp and target drive. Your only limiting factor will be the USB throughput speed...

Oh ok! SSD must be a very different animal.

I would have thought using the same "pipeline" for simultaneous reading and writing would slow down any medium. Seems SSD somehow isn't affected by this.

That's impressive...

... I often do encodes now from mechanical and have temp and final output SSD and achieve maximum speed....

Sounds like you're saying to use SSD for all 3, but I can also get very good performance with SSD as temp and output only.

Can't wait to test all this on the weekend.

Thanks for the advice, Ch3vron!

T

It's a very different animal indeed. I looked up your model and if attached to a USB 3 port you should achieve speeds up to 350-450MB/s. Such speeds can be achieved because there are no moving parts, which is also why SSD's are all 2.5" drives and so much smaller. To put it simple, where a mechanical drive can only read/write a single file at a time and in sequence, an SSD can read/write MULTIPLE files simultaneously to different memory chips. Thus achieving a greater random read/write speed.

It's a very different animal indeed. I looked up your model and if attached to a USB 3 port you should achieve speeds up to 350-450MB/s.

Wow! The best speeds I have seen with my HDs are around 32 MB/sec and that is with a direct file copy from one to another. That is faster by more than a factor of 10...

... SSD's are all 2.5" drives and so much smaller ...

Dude, I didn't realize! The delivery person just now dropped it off and the package was so small I thought he gave me the wrong one.

Haven't opened it yet but will very soon...

To put it simple, where a mechanical drive can only read/write a single file at a time and in sequence, an SSD can read/write MULTIPLE files simultaneously to different memory chips. Thus achieving a greater random read/write speed.

Outstanding!

Love the theory, can't wait to see it in action...

T

Just bear in mind that if using an SSD then the speed limit will probably then be the GPU hardware acceleration. Having done some testing I found that on multiple systems the hardware GPU acceleration is the same for both the GTX 1060 and the GTX 1070, and from what others have posted on here the GTX 1080 is no faster so all 3 appear to have the same GPU hardware acceleration speed, the read speeds from the SSD's being used by CloneBD seemed to max out around 90-95MB/s so at the moment we seem to have hit the limit, although I have to say that limit is very fast.

Just bear in mind that if using an SSD then the speed limit will probably then be the GPU hardware acceleration. Having done some testing I found that on multiple systems the hardware GPU acceleration is the same for both the GTX 1060 and the GTX 1070, and from what others have posted on here the GTX 1080 is no faster so all 3 appear to have the same GPU hardware acceleration speed, the read speeds from the SSD's being used by CloneBD seemed to max out around 90-95MB/s so at the moment we seem to have hit the limit, although I have to say that limit is very fast.

Ok, thanks Adbear.

I'll see if I can hit that limit...

T

Well, last night I ran some tests.

First, I copied a 34G movie from the C drive of my laptop to a regular external USB 3.0 HD. Copy rate averaged 55 - 60 Mps.

Then copied same movie to SSD connected via USB 3.0. Copy rate averaged 55 - 60 Mps :( ...

Moving on, I did a CloneBD conversion involving compression of the 34G movie just copied to the SSD, using the SSD for temp and output as well. And got the exact same 130 fps rate I usually do.

Tried again using SSD for input and output and C drive for temp and got same results :eek: ...

So, I don't know what's going on, see no change so far.

This SSD should be working faster. There is a USB 3.1 connection I could use (if I buy a USB-C-to-C connector. Was not included). It might yield better performance, but I should see improved copy and CloneBD performance with the USB 3.0 as well. It's transfer limit is way beyond 60 Mps.

I'm contacting Samsung to get some tech advice on this.

Otherwise, this SSD is going back. Dude, no way am I paying $185 for a drive that behaves just like my others and only has 500G........ But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

@Ch3vr0n you have any ideas?

T

that's why I use the standard 3.5" hdd over the ssd the performance difference is so small
and am happy with 320 fps on high quality and around 470 to 530 for high speed using the 3.5 hdd for both input file and output
container MKV
Asus GTX1070
I7 6700k
shuttle pc
anyway good luck with your endevor:)

Last edited:
... am happy with 320 fps on high quality and around 470 to 530 for high speed using the 3.5 hdd for both input file and output
anyway good luck with your endevor...

Thanks, Shadow.

Actually, I wonder if CPU comes into play at all here. 'Cause I'm only working with an i5 here and I know you have an i7.

I didn't think CPU had anything to do with this but maybe someone else knows better?

T

Forgot to consider what Adbear is saying here about CloneBD max-es. Maybe for the Intel h/w acceleration I am using, 130 is the limit.

I can believe that because when I start the conversion, the fps rate rapidly increases to 180 and hits a wall, plateaus there for a bit then decreases until it stabilizes at 130.

And this is with or without SSD.

But running CloneBD on my desktop, which cannot do hardware acceleration, I also see absolutely no difference in using or not using SSD. Exactly the same performance there as well.

@Chevron, if you recall I ran a file copy test on the laptop and 60 Mps was the max I could get whether using SSD or not.

Do you think it's a coincidence that is the max for a USB 2.0 connection?

I triple checked and both the SSD and the normal HD were directly connected to USB 3.0 ports on the laptop. So I dunno...

I also ran a file copy test on the desktop, which has an older but beefier CPU.

Copying a 42G file, the transfer rate was in the low 90's with normal HD and 99 - 100 with the SSD.

Not really a large difference.

I do notice though that the rate kind of acts like its banging up against a wall when using SSD. It reaches 100 then falls back to 99 --- repeatedly.

Again, I'm using USB 3.0 ports, so I don't know what a 100 Mps max would represent.

Appreciate any ideas anyone has on if there's something I'm doing wrong here....

T

Have you run any drive speed tests to see how fast the drives actually are?

Have you run any drive speed tests to see how fast the drives actually are?

Adbear,

I thought that's what I was doing with the file copy test (copy file from C drive to SSD).

If not, how do I do a drive speed test?

T

Samsung SSD's come with a software tool. Did you install that. Comes with latest drivers, speed tests, firmware update,... USB 2 is considerably slower they USB 3. There is the thing that the drive is USB 3, Gen 1. Full USB 3 speeds need both a gen 2 port on both ends.

Samsung SSD's come with a software tool. Did you install that. Comes with latest drivers, speed tests, firmware update...

That's what I was expecting. But there is nothing in the packaging indicating such and I can find nothing on the Samsung website.

I'll call them and ask for assistance...

... USB 2 is considerably slower they USB 3 ...

Ch3vron, not sure why you mention USB2?

I'm using USB 3 all the way.

Getting USB 2 speeds though (lol).

There is the thing that the drive is USB 3, Gen 1. Full USB 3 speeds need both a gen 2 port on both ends.

That's true.

The drive comes with a USB Type C-to-USB Type A cable. From what I read that makes it Gen 1 whose max speed is 5Gbps. I think that translates to 625 Megabytes per sec.

I'm not getting anywhere near that (60 on laptop, 100 on desktop).

My laptop does have a 3.1 port which I could use if I get a USB Type C-to-USB Type C cable. That may improve performance but it really should be a lot better than what it is with the present cable...

I'm gonna see if there's any special drivers I need and see how to do a drive speed test.

Thanks for confirming I should have drivers...

T

Back