• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to play Blue-ray movies ripped to HDD?

Thank you for the clarification

Thank you very much for the clarification, this is exactly what I was searching for. :agree: As for the mkv files? How? This seems (to me) to be the easiest way to play them on a portable HD, so I can easily watch them on my hires 17" laptop, or on my bigscreen at home, without the DRM. I just haven't caught on to the "Create an ISO" and run from Daemon. I'm familiar w/Daemon and mounting, but isn't one mkv file easier to play in VLC? Or does the creation of the mkv create loss of quality? Please no flaming, I just want some help.:confused: I didn't mean to piss you guys off with my n00b questions (Adbear/Bigrick), no harm/no foul.

You can use eac3to to create mkv's of your material. The typical ones people post on torrents and other illegal practices are reencoded, usually scaled to 720, and stripped down to the basic audio. (core audio such as regular AC3 or DTS) You'll lose the HD audio if you do that. To each their own if that's your thing.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125966

Happy reading. :) I don't do mkv, so, I will be no help to you on that one. Nonetheless, you could also look at something like RipBot, but, the problem is you need to handle seamless branching titles. You could use eac3to to get the playlist like I said, load it with tsmuxer, but, output to a m2ts instead of a blu-ray folder. That would allow you to easily convert to mkv. But eac3to allows mkv creation so look into that first.

Many Thanks.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it:bowdown:. With mkv's @ 8-13GB (4-7hr @6mbps), it's just easier to go and buy it. To everyone their own. But for my personal movie portability, it just seems that mkv is easier than ISO, since it is playable with VLC anywhere I want (more or less). I will start to play with eac3to/tsmuxer or just eac3to alone for mkv creation.

Why don't you do mkv's? And what is the drawback to them vs ISO?

IMO, there's plenty of drawback vs ISO, but, it's a personal decision. ISOs retain the BD file structure, and as such when media comes down in price, we can burn it. With an MKV, you'll have to remaster it into a BD structure and then burn from folder or make an ISO to burn. Plus MKV won't play in PowerDVD which is what I use for playback. Also, I seriously doubt you'll have a lot of luck with HD audio formats with MKV. Even if MKV accepts them (I honestly don't know), VLC ain't going to play them. There's no codec support for it. If you want core audio only, then MKV is fine I suppose. I want the full BD experience.

Thanks again. Your definition hit the spot. It seems pretty clear to make the ISO's, not mkv; Better quality, true format, better longevity & less work in the end. Thank you very much for the clear explanations. Hopefully I can start to play with making my own ISOs and get caught up to speed. Thanks again.

wow, sounds like a bargain. definitely worth it. But seriously, burner = $200 + media = $15/pop. Bluray Movies at Walmart = $15/pop.

OK SO maybe I was wrong for using "Impossible. Yes, I do need to read more on it, that is why i am here asking; sorry for being wrong..... you're coming across like smart-ass know-it-all's. And you do know more than me, that is why I am asking, not trying to be a jerk.

"Impossible" was definitely the wrong word to use on my part. Let me clarify "Impossible"; simple to do and financial feasible; which doesn't seem like right now.

So I'll eat my words, if you can answer me this: you're saying that you can stick in a bluray movie in a reader, a blank bluray disc in a bluray burner, run a program, making a PERFECT 1-to-1 BACKUP of the movie, ripping any DRM/previews/Region Codes from the copy, just like any purchased DVD with CloneDVD/AnyDVD?

If so, you are awesome:bowdown:. If so, why are people having so many issues with making bluray backups, if it is so easy?

I do not want a flame war, I do not mean to piss anyone off, I would just like some answers from those who are forging ahead of the rest of us, please. The reason I am here is to learn from those who have put forth the effort (for which I thank you) to make things easy for the rest of us.

I ran a few mkv's from an external USB2 HDD and it appears to have the bandwidth to run full 1080p. I saw a few artifacts and frame drops, but that was because I was running a few other apps simultaneously. My quad core was running about 25-30% just to play the movie, along with an Geforce 8500 512MB, Vista SP1 32-bit, & 4GB DDR2 (let's not get into the memory limit of 32-bit systems right now).

And it appears that the video card plays a major role. My 512MB GeForce 7950 on my dual core laptop doesn't do very well with these mkv files over USB2.

Lastly, how do you rip the single xxGB *.mkv from the disk?

Thanks for your help & answers.

So you use the word impossible then because I say it's not impossible I'm a smart ass know it all? You need to look up the definition of Impossible and not make up your own definition when someone points out that you're wrong.
Like SamuriHL has already said it's quite easy to back up onto BD-r or BD-re. As long as I have AnydvdHD running I can just do a disc to disc copy and they work fine on my settop player. I also don' t have a problem with the price of blank discs as we buy them in bulk where I work, and when you're buying in a thousand at a time the price drops dramatically

Like I previously said, I was wrong to use the word 'impossible', and, like you said, i hadn't looked into bluray enough to know what i was talking about. the tone of your reply seemed smart-ass to me. OF course you know more, that wasn't the question. Sorry if I offended. but with some help here (thank you SamuriHL) i am getting an understanding for where I need to direct myself as per bluray backups/portability, and why to use certain formats. Again, thank you and to others in helping educate so that I (and hopefully others) can get up to speed.:eek:

Thanks again. Your definition hit the spot. It seems pretty clear to make the ISO's, not mkv; Better quality, true format, better longevity & less work in the end. Thank you very much for the clear explanations. Hopefully I can start to play with making my own ISOs and get caught up to speed. Thanks again.

See my signature for ISO creation guide. If you have folders that need to be converted, use my folder->ISO guide.

Also, guys, relax. Adbear, he made a mistake in terminology. I do it all the time. Let's move on. He got the answers he was looking for. I understand the frustration, but, we need to try to play nice. :)

So I am relatively new to making ISO files and am having trouble converting some of my BD rips to ISO's. I have followed Samuri's guides to convert my BD files to ISO's and am using ImgBurn 2.4.1.0, daemon tools lite 4.12.3 and PDVD 7.3.3319.0. I have been sucessful about half the time with the other half will just cause PDVD to pop up with a black screen on PDVD with a message in the corner of the screen that says play - then it almost imediately gives the message stop in the corner of the screen - that's it. I have played all of these movies from the folders and they work fine. Movies I am currently struggling with are: No Country for Old Men, Michael Clayton and A TsRemux of Across the Universe (played from media fine on PDVD). Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I'm not quite there yet, so I can't yet help. On another note, thanks for you help, SamuriHL. I have bookmarked your ISO page and am reading it and will try it out soon, with lots of the feedback on this topic, as seen before my first post. Thanks again and good luck HTPCat. There are a some bright people here that will help.

So I am relatively new to making ISO files and am having trouble converting some of my BD rips to ISO's. I have followed Samuri's guides to convert my BD files to ISO's and am using ImgBurn 2.4.1.0, daemon tools lite 4.12.3 and PDVD 7.3.3319.0. I have been sucessful about half the time with the other half will just cause PDVD to pop up with a black screen on PDVD with a message in the corner of the screen that says play - then it almost imediately gives the message stop in the corner of the screen - that's it. I have played all of these movies from the folders and they work fine. Movies I am currently struggling with are: No Country for Old Men, Michael Clayton and A TsRemux of Across the Universe (played from media fine on PDVD). Any idea what I am doing wrong?

i would suggest that you update your version of powerdvd to the newest release, if your making ISO's of your movies theres no reason to stay behind on the powerdvd version this might be your main problem since all those movies you named are newer releases second what version of anydvd are you using

i would suggest that you update your version of powerdvd to the newest release, if your making ISO's of your movies theres no reason to stay behind on the powerdvd version this might be your main problem since all those movies you named are newer releases second what version of anydvd are you using

I am using the newest version of AnyDVDHD 6.4.2.2 - I always keep this software up to date. The BD folders were created using the rip to HDD function from AnyDVDHD. I also have the current patch 4102 for PDVD, but don't want to loose the ability to play from the HDD folders or media until I am sure that I can make and play the ISO's correctly. I suppose I could update ( as I can always roll back to version 3319) and try the movies again, but I wouldn't think PDVD is the problem since I can play both of these movies (Michael Clayton & No Country for Old Men) from the folders and directly from the main m2ts file and also directly from the disc using my current install of PDVD v 7.3.3319.0. I am obviously not an expert at making ISO's :doh:and suspect that I am doing something wrong when I use ImgBurn to create the ISO's from the folders:bang:.

I am using the newest version of AnyDVDHD 6.4.2.2 - I always keep this software up to date. The BD folders were created using the rip to HDD function from AnyDVDHD. I also have the current patch 4102 for PDVD, but don't want to loose the ability to play from the HDD folders or media until I am sure that I can make and play the ISO's correctly. I suppose I could update ( as I can always roll back to version 3319) and try the movies again, but I wouldn't think PDVD is the problem since I can play both of these movies (Michael Clayton & No Country for Old Men) from the folders and directly from the main m2ts file and also directly from the disc using my current install of PDVD v 7.3.3319.0. I am obviously not an expert at making ISO's :doh:and suspect that I am doing something wrong when I use ImgBurn to create the ISO's from the folders:bang:.

Why aren't you using my folder->ISO guide? :) There's a makeISO script posted there that will set everything correctly for you in ImgBurn and spit out an ISO from a folder name.

Why aren't you using my folder->ISO guide? :) There's a makeISO script posted there that will set everything correctly for you in ImgBurn and spit out an ISO from a folder name.
I am a beginner with this stuff and wasn't sure how to create the file makeISO.bat I did copy the script in notepad and saved it to my C: drive - is that how I should do it:confused: and then I am not sure what path I am supposed to put the file makeISO.bat in:eek: - sorry for the newbie questions:doh:

I am a beginner with this stuff and wasn't sure how to create the file makeISO.bat I did copy the script in notepad and saved it to my C: drive - is that how I should do it:confused: and then I am not sure what path I am supposed to put the file makeISO.bat in:eek: - sorry for the newbie questions:doh:

Don't worry about newbie questions. Everyone has to start somewhere. I sure didn't start out knowing what I know now. :)

Ok, somewhere on your hard drive you have a folder that you've ripped your movies to. Let's call that c:\movies for the sake of argument. Under c:\movies, you have individual folders for each movie.... SIMPSONS, DIE_HARD, POTC, whatever. In the makeISO.bat, you'll open it with notepad so you can edit it again, and change the following line:

set SRC=

Replace c:\movies with the actual folder that contains your movie folders

Then edit:

set DEST=

to a folder that you want your ISOs to be in. It could be the same as SRC if you wish. I just gave the option to set a different folder. Now you'll want to run it. You said you put it on your C:\ drive, so, we'll run it from there on hypothetical movie SIMPSONS.

Click start, click run, type:

c:\makeISO SIMPSONS

Click ok. You'll see a window quickly open and disappear, and then a few seconds later ImgBurn will pop up and create your ISO for you with all the correct settings. After that, you just mount the ISO and you're good to go. If you have any problems, just let us know with lots of detail and we'll fix you up.

i should just post useless comments just to catch up :D

kinda like this

Back