• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to play Blue-ray movies ripped to HDD?

fair use

From any one that collects DVD's and pays them ofter. Having them available on a hard drive serves two purposes. The most important is a DVD disk will become smudged or scratched over time. A copy on a hard drive will not. Having them on a hard drive I can limit what movies my kids can watch by password protecting the directories. And then lock away the hard copies. Also anyone with kids knows a DVD will last only a few weeks by the time they drop it on the floor a couple of times. But the one most important advantage is when me and the wife are on the couch watching a movie, we can change to another with out having to get off the couch. Not a couch potato just don't want to ruin the moment. I have every DVD that is on my hard drive. One because I have fried a few drives in the past and with out the original I would not have had a backup. I do not aspire to pirate videos for the simple fact. If the makers of the movies don't make money then they will quit making money. As if that would ever happen. But also paying for the movie is my way of applauding the effort, they same as paying for a ticket when I go to the show. Sort of my way of casting a vote for the success of the project.

Last edited:
At the moment I'm using ImgBurn for HD DVD's and I use my PS3 to rip ISOs for Blu-ray. For ImgBurn, I just open it up, select read mode, and have at it. Nothing special. CloneCD is also fine for making ISOs, but, you have to remember to change the output in the drop down box when you give it a filename to ISO.

Does that mean you dont use the AnyDVD Ripper? ImgBurn will rip the HDDVD straight to ISO (with anydvd in the background, of course)? Does it rip any faster with imgburn?

Also, I don't have a PS3 but I just received my LG Blu-ray/HDDVD combo from Newegg. Will ImgBurn work that same with Blu-ray?

Does that mean you dont use the AnyDVD Ripper? ImgBurn will rip the HDDVD straight to ISO (with anydvd in the background, of course)? Does it rip any faster with imgburn?

Also, I don't have a PS3 but I just received my LG Blu-ray/HDDVD combo from Newegg. Will ImgBurn work that same with Blu-ray?

Grumble you suck grumble. :D I want one of those drives SO bad. Just can't afford it right now.

Anyway, yes, with AnyDVD HD running in the background, insert disc of your choice(blu-ray, HD DVD, DVD), load ImgBurn or CloneCD, select read mode, and read it to an image. Then all you need to do is mount the image in Daemon Tools and you're good to go. I'm having an issue right now with this process. Bourne Ultimatum is giving me a very difficult time but I'm afraid I already know what the problem is and I'm not amused. I think my HD DVD drive is dying. :( It can read the DVD side of it, but, the HD DVD side is having issues. The image I made is giving me massive audio problems. The LG drive would be so nice right about now...

Grumble you suck grumble. :D I want one of those drives SO bad. Just can't afford it right now.

Anyway, yes, with AnyDVD HD running in the background, insert disc of your choice(blu-ray, HD DVD, DVD), load ImgBurn or CloneCD, select read mode, and read it to an image. Then all you need to do is mount the image in Daemon Tools and you're good to go. I'm having an issue right now with this process. Bourne Ultimatum is giving me a very difficult time but I'm afraid I already know what the problem is and I'm not amused. I think my HD DVD drive is dying. :( It can read the DVD side of it, but, the HD DVD side is having issues. The image I made is giving me massive audio problems. The LG drive would be so nice right about now...

Bourne Ultimatum has issues, the only way that I got it to play is to rip it to Hard drive and play it back with PowerDVD. It won't play back from my Xbox 360 player. Even with the hard drive play back, it had a few audio problems. I think it is more of the Dual side manufacturing process problem.

Nitro

I'm guessing a new version of PowerDVD will solve the problem, my Prison Break season 1 BD was having issues with 3319 so I had to give up the hard drive feature and convert to ISOs. Upside is that Prison Break works great now. Problem is Cyberlink probably isn't doing too much at this time of year :(
If it's a combo issue I'll let you guys know how the UK (non combo) plays. I specifically got from there to avoid the whole combo junk

Bourne Ultimatum has issues, the only way that I got it to play is to rip it to Hard drive and play it back with PowerDVD. It won't play back from my Xbox 360 player. Even with the hard drive play back, it had a few audio problems. I think it is more of the Dual side manufacturing process problem.

Nitro

So I'm starting to notice. It played almost to the end of the movie and froze on my 360. I think the disc itself sucks more than the drive is having issues. Nonetheless, the LG drive would be nice anyway. ;)

I'm an absolute rookie with this HD stuff, but here's what I found so far..

Fortunately, the LG GGC-H20L comes with an older version of PowerDVD, so all thats really necessary is to rip the movie to the hard drive with AnyDVD-HD and play it through PowerDVD. Just be sure not to upgrade to the newest version of PowerDVD...

Ok, so, I fixed my Bourne Ultimatum ISO problem but I'm extremely unhappy with how I had to do it. :( I had to upgrade to the very latest version of PowerDVD Ultra. Now it plays back with no problems at all. Good thing I'm into the ISO mounting thing else I'd be REALLY unhappy.

You knew it was only a matter of time before you were going to be forced into a new version of PDVD...:D

I agree, the ISO image and mount is somewhat cumbersome but it does work very well!

For all interested, there is a SCREAMING deal on DDR 6400 RAM at ZipZoomFly...2GB of Corsair for $37 after rebates! Free Shipping! At that price, everyone should max out on RAM, just because.:agree:

Well, I'm not entirely positive if the new version of PowerDVD was actually NECESSARY, but, it's what solved my problem. I'm not advocating everyone do that. However, when I first tried to play it with 3319a, even the menu stuttered and the cause appeared to be audio going in and out of Dolby Digital. It was BAD. Note that the original disc plays fine in 3319a....I believe. I never got to play it all the way through cause my HD DVD drive was having issues with that disc. (Somehow it made an image but then later had issues with the very same disc...go figure.) The 360 locked up hard 3/4ths of the way through it. But, the ISO is now working with this latest version of PowerDVD, so, for me I guess that's my solution. If the idiots decide to go after ISO mounting, then I'm really gonna be ugly.

Well, I'm not entirely positive if the new version of PowerDVD was actually NECESSARY, but, it's what solved my problem. I'm not advocating everyone do that. However, when I first tried to play it with 3319a, even the menu stuttered and the cause appeared to be audio going in and out of Dolby Digital. It was BAD. Note that the original disc plays fine in 3319a....I believe. I never got to play it all the way through cause my HD DVD drive was having issues with that disc. (Somehow it made an image but then later had issues with the very same disc...go figure.) The 360 locked up hard 3/4ths of the way through it. But, the ISO is now working with this latest version of PowerDVD, so, for me I guess that's my solution. If the idiots decide to go after ISO mounting, then I'm really gonna be ugly.

I got Bourne Ultimatum to play entirely through, PowerDVD 3319a. So you didn't need to upgrade. I didn't make it an ISO, just played from the hard drive. I had like 3 issues with audio, but it was only a few seconds. PowerDVD is never going to be able to play True-HD. That is why I prefer standalones now, but maybe in the future there will better audio cards to support True-HD and better software player.

I got Bourne Ultimatum to play entirely through, PowerDVD 3319a. So you didn't need to upgrade. I didn't make it an ISO, just played from the hard drive. I had like 3 issues with audio, but it was only a few seconds. PowerDVD is never going to be able to play True-HD. That is why I prefer standalones now, but maybe in the future there will better audio cards to support True-HD and better software player.

Oh I'm sure there will be. Right now it doesn't matter for me as I don't have equipment that can handle TrueHD anyway. Someday I will, and then I'll care very much. It will be an issue for me because my 360 does not have the ability to output TrueHD. So, I will need my HTPC to do it.

Bourne Ultimatum was a royal pain but it's all working now. Also, upgrading to a newer version fixed another issue I was having with Blu-ray images. Since I use ISOs anyway, I don't feel the need to go back and use an older version. As I said, I don't necessarily recommend that anyone else upgrade, just that it happened to fix a great many problems I was having.

What was the issue you were having with the Blu Ray images? Something new? Also, do you know if PS3 updates can affect iso dumping via linux?

Thanks.

The issues I were having in general are nothing anyone but me needs to be concerned with. I'm quite sure they were local to my machine. It's just that updating seemed to fix it for me. As for PS3 updates, so far that's not been an issue. I have the latest firmware and everything still works in that regard. No one can predict what the future will bring, so, as far as I know anything's possible on that one.

This whole HDD playback thing is a circle. Instead of worshipping AnyDVD every day you should for once think about it realistically.

It is likely that without AnyDVD HD we would have much less problems with PowerDVD and probably also could still play unprotected or backed up (with "non mainstream tools") movies from HDD. I do not need (but use it nevertheless cause I bought it a while ago) AnyDVD HD anymore, cause my equipment is HDCP-compliant for a while now. So for me, AnyDVD HD more and more becomes a pain in the a$$, cause it leads to AACS restrainig more and more PowerDVD functions and I am very afraid that some day, AACS won't distribute new keys to Cyberlink and other companies. And then we have to rely on Slysoft and that I do not want. I do not want to wait over a month before I can play my discs with the latest key generation that's the reason why I decided to buy a new HDCP-compliant graphics card. Cause that's what happened when the 4th generation of keys were released.

Basically what I want to say is: AnyDVD HD is nice for protecting fair use rights, but there is a point where this tool causes more damage than it has advantages for me as a HD consumer who plays by the rules. Cause c'mon: Most people who buy AnyDVD use it for pirating movies and NOT HDD backups, as I can see and read everyday.

Yeah- this is just crap. Seriously- if you think that slysoft is going to cause AACS to clam up and not release keys to any computer based players you are incorrect. There are too many market and legal forces at work to prevent that from happening.

Last edited:
I can only say this out of my personal experience: I don't know any person that does real backups on HDD but I know at least a dozen who are using it to copy rented DVDs and HD Media. Two of them are have been posting in the German Forum claiming to do backups. Personally I do not care what you do with your AnyDVD but it has to be said, cause either you are so naive to think most people only do backups with it or you simply ignore the facts.

I do not say that ALL AnyDVD useres pirate movies, but I would bet on at least 50%.

I would have to say it is more like 23%. Of course that is just talking out of my @$$.

Last edited:
Hi, I have read all the posts here, and i was wondering how you got them into ISO and my question was answered. But i guess what size would they be?.
Also can you reduce them more for playback. I have seem some in the 5-8 Gig range. But do not know how they got them in that size range.

I can only say this out of my personal experience: I don't know any person that does real backups on HDD but I know at least a dozen who are using it to copy rented DVDs and HD Media. Two of them are have been posting in the German Forum claiming to do backups. Personally I do not care what you do with your AnyDVD but it has to be said, cause either you are so naive to think most people only do backups with it or you simply ignore the facts.

I do not say that ALL AnyDVD useres pirate movies, but I would bet on at least 50%.
just read your comments,lets get this straight,people who write in this forum love the medium of hd.its as near to the quality of film as we can get.
we backup our movies for lots of reasons,the main one is handiness,just pick a movie on the hard drive and watch,simple.taking the price of a blank blu-ray disc and burning a hd movie would cost nearly as much as the orignal,so pirating hd is a false ecomony.importing hd movies is the main reasion for anydvd and long may they prosper,so give it a rest.:D

Hi, I just got my Bladerunner HD and tried to play it. PowerDVD Ultra gave me an error message to update critical components to be able to play this. So in my excitement about Bladerunner, I updated it! Gee, that was dumb, now I can't play the HD's on my hard drive. Is it possible to rollback the update? or do I need to completely uninstall it and reinstall my older version? If I do need to uninstall/reinstall, how can I get my Bladerunner to play? Was it only my AnyDVD that needed an update to play it? I'm not quite ready to do the ISO and mount thing yet, unless there is no other option.

Any help is appreciated!

TIA,
Schlim66

you need to uninstall and install build 3104 or 3319a

Back