• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to play Blue-ray movies ripped to HDD?

you need to uninstall and install build 3104 or 3319a

Thanks for the quick reply!
I have a couple questions though, where can I find the version info on the new update? I have an older version I bought saved in a file on my hard drive dated 03/07 but I don't know which build it is.

Thanks,
Schlim66

open powerdvd, right click in the main window and choose 'about' then click on your name in the 'licensed to' section

open powerdvd, right click in the main window and choose 'about' then click on your name in the 'licensed to' section

Thanks, I have 3319f. Is there a way to tell the version I saved back in March without installing it first?

Thanks alot for the help Adbear,
Schlim66

Ok, I installed ImgBurn and Daemon tools lite. I tried it first by burning an ISO directly from a disk and then mounted it, worked perfect. Next I tried to burn an ISO from a file on my hard disk that has Equilibrium HD (ripped with AnyDVD HD). It created the ISO but when I mounted it and tried to play it, it looked bad (I am not sure of the technical terms, but it was mostly green and seemed stretched). Am I not setting up ImgBurn properly for this kind of file? I used Build and then made sure it was output in the UDF format. If anyone can point me in the right direction as far as how to burn already ripped HD's, I would appreciate it!

TIA,
Schlim66

Can anyone comment on the audio situation with powerdvd ultra? I have successfully ripped some of my movies to HD, then play them with pdvd 3319a through my computer's HDMI port, but the audio seems to be only stereo PCM, not the better dolby digital streams. Does anyone know how to make that part work right?

Can anyone comment on the audio situation with powerdvd ultra? I have successfully ripped some of my movies to HD, then play them with pdvd 3319a through my computer's HDMI port, but the audio seems to be only stereo PCM, not the better dolby digital streams. Does anyone know how to make that part work right?

1.) Use the Realtek driver (not the ATI HDMI driver) for the ATI HDMI output
2.) Set PowerDVD to SPDIF out

Now it'll work.

I found a sigmatel driver, which appears to be the coax output, so I ran a coax cable from the pc to the AV Receiver and get the same thing. The AV Receiver is reporting 'Straight PCM' and the sound appears to just be stereo on the front speakers. Can you be more specific as to what you mean about setting powerdvd to SPDIF output? I couldn't find this option.

Thanks for helping - I'm really close to having this all working right.

NM - the spdif output appeared in the speaker dropdown box and all is good. It's a shame this can't be made to work over the HDMI.

you haven't stated what card or what OS you're using. I have a 2600 on vista, and am just using the ATI drivers. and if I go into sound in control panel I have an option for HDMI. I set it to that and then it just works. I always get full 5.1 out

NM - the spdif output appeared in the speaker dropdown box and all is good. It's a shame this can't be made to work over the HDMI.
It can. Again: Use the Realtek drivers for the ATI HDMI output.

I got Bourne Ultimatum to play entirely through, PowerDVD 3319a. So you didn't need to upgrade. I didn't make it an ISO, just played from the hard drive. I had like 3 issues with audio, but it was only a few seconds. PowerDVD is never going to be able to play True-HD. That is why I prefer standalones now, but maybe in the future there will better audio cards to support True-HD and better software player.

Hi Folks,

I tried my first rip with Bourn Ultimatum and trial of anydvd but cannot get it to play in PowerDVD 3319a, it starts up but before I get to the language menu it just sits in a loop with a black screen, counter runs from 0-2 seconds continuously??

Any ideas, did I have the rip settings wrong?

Happy Xmas!

Hi Folks,

I tried my first rip with Bourn Ultimatum and trial of anydvd but cannot get it to play in PowerDVD 3319a, it starts up but before I get to the language menu it just sits in a loop with a black screen, counter runs from 0-2 seconds continuously??

Any ideas, did I have the rip settings wrong?

Happy Xmas!

Hi,

I have the same issue with Fantastic 4 BD.
I am running PDVD 7.3 #3319a.
I can start the movie from the HDD, but i can not access the meny buttons or ff. The pre-movie goes into a loop and I am not able to start the actual movie, just the pre or comercial is running.
When I try to push play or ff from when the trailer is playing the information in PDVD says "Prohibited"

This is my first BD so I am not sure how to move on.

Thanks

Last edited:
On the lastest version of PDVD, has anyone tried to "play media file" and then select the largest file in the Blu-Ray directory that AnyDVDHD ripped? I had read somewhere that you can slim your Blu-Ray rips by deleting everything but the largest file....I have trialed this in PDVD (older version) and it seems to work. Just wondering if this is a work around from the play from HDD being removed.

On the lastest version of PDVD, has anyone tried to "play media file" and then select the largest file in the Blu-Ray directory that AnyDVDHD ripped? I had read somewhere that you can slim your Blu-Ray rips by deleting everything but the largest file....I have trialed this in PDVD (older version) and it seems to work. Just wondering if this is a work around from the play from HDD being removed.

But you then can't choose the audio track (not all films have the main audio track as the first one) and not all films are encoded in 1 file, some span across 20 or 30 files

But you then can't choose the audio track (not all films have the main audio track as the first one) and not all films are encoded in 1 file, some span across 20 or 30 files

Yes, if you play .m2ts files directly, PowerDVD is not the best option. It is better to play them with Windows Media Player with Haali Media Splitter installed. Then at least you can choose the audio track. PowerDVD still has to be installed as it provides video decoders. In Vista, you will also have to install some separate decoder for AC3 audio, as PowerDVD's won't work (with WMP, that is).

mkv files?

I am a n00b when it comes to HD ripping/playing. I have used AnyDVD HD for backups of all my DVD movies, especially kids movies, since they last 6 months at most, then new copies have to be made from the "safely stored" originals, out of children's hands. Anyway, I have come across 8-16GB mkv files:rolleyes:, which are bluray rips. VLC plays them perfectly for the most part. It looks like this is the easiest way to port all my bluray's to hdd, correct me if I'm wrong. They seem to just "play" without any issues, probably 'cause of no drm.

So, I have been reading here about creating an ISO from the original Bluray, then mounting = no problem (for the most part, until I actually try it), and then playing on the computer (imgburn/anydvdhd/powerdvd). Most DVD rips I have created for computer use are mpg files.

How are the mkv files made? And can they be "cleanly" played without bandwidth issues over a standard USB2 connection? I was thinking of starting a bluray archive on a Venus 4TU (4x750GB=3TB). IS this feasible?

Then I can go to any HiRes screen in the house (via small, somewhat portable, quad core/8800 desktop computer), and play any bluray of the collection of my movies. My kids have a playroom with a nice setup, but if they are sleeping, I would rather watch upstairs, away from the kids, in my own setup.

Reburning or making bluray backups seems like an impossibility until 2012, or whenever the corporations agree to release this ability - of course the ridiculous cost of media/burner could be to blame. But that is another story for a diff discussion group.

Thanks for your help.

Reburning or making bluray backups seems like an impossibility until 2012 said:
you can burn bluray movies now how is it impossible

figurhead said:
Reburning or making bluray backups seems like an impossibility until 2012, or whenever the corporations agree to release this ability - of course the ridiculous cost of media/burner could be to blame. But that is another story for a diff discussion group.
Obviously hasn't even looked at anything about Blu-ray. I've been burning back to BD-r/BD-RE's for over a year now, and the price has dropped from around £500 to £140 for a writer, and the price of single layer discs is just over £6. I'm obviously 'doing the impossible'

Obviously hasn't even looked at anything about Blu-ray. I've been burning back to BD-r/BD-RE's for over a year now, and the price has dropped from around £500 to £140 for a writer, and the price of single layer discs is just over £6. I'm obviously 'doing the impossible'

wow, sounds like a bargain. definitely worth it. But seriously, burner = $200 + media = $15/pop. Bluray Movies at Walmart = $15/pop.

OK SO maybe I was wrong for using "Impossible. Yes, I do need to read more on it, that is why i am here asking; sorry for being wrong..... you're coming across like smart-ass know-it-all's. And you do know more than me, that is why I am asking, not trying to be a jerk.

"Impossible" was definitely the wrong word to use on my part. Let me clarify "Impossible"; simple to do and financial feasible; which doesn't seem like right now.

So I'll eat my words, if you can answer me this: you're saying that you can stick in a bluray movie in a reader, a blank bluray disc in a bluray burner, run a program, making a PERFECT 1-to-1 BACKUP of the movie, ripping any DRM/previews/Region Codes from the copy, just like any purchased DVD with CloneDVD/AnyDVD?

If so, you are awesome:bowdown:. If so, why are people having so many issues with making bluray backups, if it is so easy?

I do not want a flame war, I do not mean to piss anyone off, I would just like some answers from those who are forging ahead of the rest of us, please. The reason I am here is to learn from those who have put forth the effort (for which I thank you) to make things easy for the rest of us.

I ran a few mkv's from an external USB2 HDD and it appears to have the bandwidth to run full 1080p. I saw a few artifacts and frame drops, but that was because I was running a few other apps simultaneously. My quad core was running about 25-30% just to play the movie, along with an Geforce 8500 512MB, Vista SP1 32-bit, & 4GB DDR2 (let's not get into the memory limit of 32-bit systems right now).

And it appears that the video card plays a major role. My 512MB GeForce 7950 on my dual core laptop doesn't do very well with these mkv files over USB2.

Lastly, how do you rip the single xxGB *.mkv from the disk?

Thanks for your help & answers.

So I'll eat my words, if you can answer me this: you're saying that you can stick in a bluray movie in a reader, a blank bluray disc in a bluray burner, run a program, making a PERFECT 1-to-1 BACKUP of the movie, ripping any DRM/previews/Region Codes from the copy, just like any purchased DVD with CloneDVD/AnyDVD?

That's not a 1:1 copy, now, is it? So which do you want, a copy, or a PERFECT 1:1 copy? Cause there's a difference. If you want 1:1, it's fairly easy to do. Stick disc in drive with AnyDVD enabled, open ImgBurn or CloneCD, and either read to image and write the image, or in CloneCD, copy disc. If it's a dual layer BD, you'll need a dual layer BD-R/E. If it's a single layer BD, you can burn it to a single layer BD-R/E. Simple. (And with AnyDVD enabled, you can set options to remove PUOPS, region code, and skip previews[on some discs] and those will get transfered to your backup)

If so, you are awesome:bowdown:. If so, why are people having so many issues with making bluray backups, if it is so easy?

Because they're not wanting to do 1:1 copies. They want to shrink it down, remove streams, etc. That's not extremely difficult, either, but, it's certainly got a learning curve. There's no CloneBD out there yet that makes it a one step solution. They're getting closer. Consider the following:

-Use eac3to to display playlists of disc (e.g. eac3to d: )
-Open playlist from first step (e.g. 00001.mpls) with TSMuxer
-Deselect streams you don't want
-Set output to blu-ray folder structure
-When complete, use makeISO batch file (see my signature folder->ISO guide) to create a new ISO
-Burn with ImgBurn or CloneCD

That makes a movie only copy with just the streams you want. Not rocket science, but, not one click, either. It's a new technology. It's certainly possible to do these things, it's just not newbie friendly...yet.

Back