• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to play Blue-ray movies ripped to HDD?

slow-t

Sharp learning curve but it comes with the territory....

Can someone explain or point me :confused:(and I think a lot of people) the latest intructions on how to play a Blue-Ray movie using PowerDVD Ultra (Series 7) after you have ripped it to the hard drive?

That is one ugly looking set of directories :eek: , none of which are recognized by PowerDVD Ultra as containing a movie. I have found that if you search for media files from the PowerDVD menu you can select all the .m2ts files from the BDMV\STREAM folder and play them back for a "quasi" movie experience but that is a pain.

Finally, is HD DVD format a simliar experience or easier?

System:

AMD 4800+, 2G RAM
2 nVidia 7600GS cards linked through SLi

Windows XP, MCE
PowerDVD Ultra 7.3
AnyDVD HD 6.3.3.0​

Thanks,

Slow-T

Playback from the hard drive has been removed in the lastest PowerDVD Ultra versions. Either go back to a known good version or rip your movies into ISOs and mount them with Daemon Tools from now on.

Well, that bites. Any idea why they would have a selection "Open movie file on hard disc drive" under the Select Source drop down menu?

For DVD's. They removed the functionality for blu-ray and HD DVD.

thanks. Can you tell me which PDVD version still had the functionality?

Build 3319a seems to be the current favorite. That's what I'm now using and haven't had any difficulties. Before you ask, no, no one here can tell you where to get it.

This whole HDD playback thing is a circle. Instead of worshipping AnyDVD every day you should for once think about it realistically.

It is likely that without AnyDVD HD we would have much less problems with PowerDVD and probably also could still play unprotected or backed up (with "non mainstream tools") movies from HDD. I do not need (but use it nevertheless cause I bought it a while ago) AnyDVD HD anymore, cause my equipment is HDCP-compliant for a while now. So for me, AnyDVD HD more and more becomes a pain in the a$$, cause it leads to AACS restrainig more and more PowerDVD functions and I am very afraid that some day, AACS won't distribute new keys to Cyberlink and other companies. And then we have to rely on Slysoft and that I do not want. I do not want to wait over a month before I can play my discs with the latest key generation that's the reason why I decided to buy a new HDCP-compliant graphics card. Cause that's what happened when the 4th generation of keys were released.

Basically what I want to say is: AnyDVD HD is nice for protecting fair use rights, but there is a point where this tool causes more damage than it has advantages for me as a HD consumer who plays by the rules. Cause c'mon: Most people who buy AnyDVD use it for pirating movies and NOT HDD backups, as I can see and read everyday.

I couldn't disagree with you more on this one. Yes, it's likely that Cyberlink is "reacting" to AnyDVD HD and are being forced to by the AACS LA. However, up until MKB v4, AnyDVD HD wasn't the only solution for ripping movies. And at some point in the future, it's likely that the OSS community will figure out the MKB v4 situation and AnyDVD HD won't be the only solution yet again. I truly believe you're placing blame on the wrong party here.

I'm also having trouble figuring out your argument here. If you don't need AnyDVD HD and you only want to play discs, then what's the problem? You claim some theoretical situation where the AACS LA may not give Cyberlink keys in the future, but, I find that extremely unlikely. If that were to happen, then every PowerDVD Ultra user would be able to sue them and/or get a refund. It's just not a very likely scenario. As for your "most people pirate movies" comment, I STRONGLY disagree with that. I use AnyDVD HD to play Blu-ray ISO images I've ripped using my PS3 on my HTPC. I don't have a Blu-ray drive in my HTPC yet, so, that is the only way I can watch Blu-rays on it.

Hi
I too protest :mad: to the comment "most people pirate movies". I use any dvd + clonedvd2 to make backup discs so that the kids do not wreck the origional movies with their jam covered sticky fingers!!!!!! I put the origional in a safe place and give my kids the copy.

Anyway I have a question about HD dvd disks as we are thinking of buying a new tv and dvd player for christmas, so does anyone know where in the forum I should ask about HD format? there are a few things puzzling me.:confused:

Many thanks new member:)

You should start a new thread here in the AnyDVD HD forum to ask your questions. If it's the wrong forum, the mods will move it for you. But definitely start a new thread.

As for your "most people pirate movies" comment, I STRONGLY disagree with that. I use AnyDVD HD to play Blu-ray ISO images I've ripped using my PS3 on my HTPC. I don't have a Blu-ray drive in my HTPC yet, so, that is the only way I can watch Blu-rays on it.

I can only say this out of my personal experience: I don't know any person that does real backups on HDD but I know at least a dozen who are using it to copy rented DVDs and HD Media. Two of them are have been posting in the German Forum claiming to do backups. Personally I do not care what you do with your AnyDVD but it has to be said, cause either you are so naive to think most people only do backups with it or you simply ignore the facts.

I do not say that ALL AnyDVD useres pirate movies, but I would bet on at least 50%.

Last edited:
I can only say this out of my personal experience: I don't know any person that does real backups on HDD but I know at least a dozen who are using it to copy rented DVDs and HD Media. Two of them are have been posting in the German Forum claiming to do backups. Personally I do not care what you do with your AnyDVD but it has to be said, cause either you are so naive to think most people only do backups with it or you simply ignore the facts.

I do not say that ALL AnyDVD useres pirate movies, but I would bet on at least 50%.

I'm not naive and am fully aware that lots of people like to pirate movies. That's their choice. However, as long as we're clear on the point I highlighted then we're good. I use it for backing up my movies to my HTPCs and for making backups for my kids. (Thank God Cars came out on Blu-ray as my son lost his backup copy of the DVD I made him and was using the original for a while. I found it on his floor...it looks...great.) There are quite a lot of us who use AnyDVD for legitimate reasons.

Playback from the hard drive has been removed in the lastest PowerDVD Ultra versions. Either go back to a known good version or rip your movies into ISOs and mount them with Daemon Tools from now on.

excuse my ignorance but what are you using to rip to ISO? thanks in advance.

excuse my ignorance but what are you using to rip to ISO? thanks in advance.

At the moment I'm using ImgBurn for HD DVD's and I use my PS3 to rip ISOs for Blu-ray. For ImgBurn, I just open it up, select read mode, and have at it. Nothing special. CloneCD is also fine for making ISOs, but, you have to remember to change the output in the drop down box when you give it a filename to ISO.

bearcat, don't worry about being new to this. Trust me, I've been hobbying this for years and you always are on some steep learning curve with something. This forum has some real experts so ask away!

So, I followed the advice, used ImgBurn and then Daemon Tools (the other half you will need to load the new ISO onto a "virtual" drive so PDVD can see it) and it works great....except one small part....my video cards are not beefy enough!:doh: (My SLi 7600's only get a yellow rating on Cyberlink Advisor, which translates to a poor quality movie).

Got me a couple of 8600GT's coming in the mail and that should put that little issue to rest!:cool: Might buy me a new computer game too!:D

Last edited:
In response to the little dialogue about the uses of AnyDVD, I couldn't agree more with SamuriHL. As the cutting edge of computer technology moves ahead we find that prior art is limited. From my perspective, hard, portable media such as DVD's are rapidly going to be phased out. Why would I be actually search through a library collection that can easily be in the thousands when I can have them all at my fingertips? Now if a regulatory agency wishes to stop me from experimenting with new ways of storing and retrieving media that I have purchased....I have a huge problem with that.

But it sounds like we all got to the same page so we're cool!

Slow-T

bearcat, don't worry about being new to this. Trust me, I've been hobbying this for years and you always are on some steep learning curve with something. This forum has some real experts so ask away!

So, I followed the advice, used ImgBurn and then Daemon Tools (the other half you will need to load the new ISO onto a "virtual" drive so PDVD can see it) and it works great....except one small part....my video cards are not beefy enough!:doh: (My SLi 7600's only get a yellow rating on Cyberlink Advisor, which translates to a poor quality movie).

Got me a couple of 8600GT's coming in the mail and that should put that little issue to rest!:cool: Might buy me a new computer game too!:D

Thanks for your input and help and also SamuritHL. I have HD rips on hard disk already. Am i able to convert these back into isos'?

Yes. Select the HDD directory (source) in ImgBurn and then target a location on the HDD ( I created a separate directory that has my ISO's of movies). Super easy.

Back