• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to make the purest 1:1 DVD copy?

I have a pretty good idea how to make the purest 1:1 BD copy https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/how-to-make-the-purest-1-1-bd-copy.71892/

How do you do this for a DVD? I have a license for all of the Elby / Slysoft / RedFox programs.
Simple: While having AnyDVD HD active in the background, use CloneDVD2 to make the 1:1 DVD that you want, while getting rid of all the protection stuff that DVDs tend to have.

Once you do that, you're good to go.

I almost forgot: Depending on the size of your DVD, you might need to get some dual layer blank DVDs, due to the size of your original DVD.

Verbatim brand DVDs are recommended.

:)

"Purest" DVD copy? Use AnyDVD tray icon's "Rip Video Disc to Harddisk..." right-click menu option.

Using CloneDVD allows you to remove any unwanted video/audio streams, and create an ISO output file in one ripping step. To create an ISO using AnyDVD's ripper requires another step of writing the files/folders to ISO, Imgburn is one 3rd party program.

With DVDs there will be some significant differences between the original and the backup, no matter how you back it up. DVDs can have structural protections and CSS encoding, something Bluray discs don't have.

The "purest" DVD copy is made with a duel layer blank and using CloneCD (with AnyDVD in the background).
You then have a 1:1 "perfect" backup with even the layer break intact. Don't let the name CloneCD fool you...
-W

The "purest" DVD copy is made with a duel layer blank and using CloneCD (with AnyDVD in the background).
You then have a 1:1 "perfect" backup with even the layer break intact. Don't let the name CloneCD fool you...
-W
What Clams said. Verbatim Dual layers, CloneCD and set to 4x ( I recommend) and you are good to go! Exact Backup!

Just remember that if it has "structural protection" on the disc. It will be transferred to the copy. Which may or may not cause issues. It is best to use CloneDVD for disc's with "structural protection" in those cases for that reason.

If you want to carry it to extremes there is also a plugin for DAEMON Tools Pro/Ultra which doesn't strip the CSS encryption.
But practically this doen't really make sense ;)

For the many victims who have had their movie viewing experiences ruined by the Cinavia tumor, the words "pure copy" don't apply to a DVD that has Cinavia embedded in it. The words "dirty copy" is more fitting.
Call it whatever you want, but "pure" it ain't.

-W
That's what others forget long before CloneDVD came along - I used CloneCD to backup dvd movies with Anydvd for 1:1 without CSS protection and playback was fine and it allowed me to copy the copy without problem. One needs to remember that using CloneCD your backup media must match the capacity of the original media capacity aka 4.7g for 4.7g and for 8.4g to 8.4g format size. CloneDVD plus is that you can compress a 8.4g movie to 4.7g movie but there will be some pixel loss if you watch on larger but the pixel isn't that noticeable. @Yaris Cinavia on dvd is rare it is more on BD movies that you will find Cinavia so your info dvd all coming with Cinavia is misinformed maybe if it comes from Sony but most I seen are CSS protected.

Just remember that if it has "structural protection" on the disc. It will be transferred to the copy. Which may or may not cause issues. It is best to use CloneDVD for disc's with "structural protection" in those cases for that reason.

Yes I have burn't from an .mds file together with iso with strutural copy protection to DVD+R DL.
The DVD-drive took about a 30-60 seconds (Pioneer or Liteon, not sure) seconds to initialize the DVDs. But it worked.
On other discs with structural copy protection it's faster. Also played all perfectly in an LG HL-DT DVD-RAM drive.
When mounting the image with structural copy protection on it it takes only (5 seconds max always)
------

I use ImgBurn with AnyDVD HD in backkground to make as an iso, AnyDVD's other ripper than "rip to HDD" offers as well .iso output.

Because it's helfpul when burning the iso from a two-layer-disc to a two-layer-disc like DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL as ImgBurn produces an additional .mds (Media descriptor file) when copying from DVD-ROM to iso.

Be careful ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 comes with ADWARE: So installing it in a command prompt is higly recommended:

SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe /NOCANDY
And umark all addware checkboxes when there's the installer dialog is appearing on the screen!!!

It's wise to install it on a windows test system with not important data.
===>SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe /NOCANDY
Then copy only the installation files over to your system. It runs from harddisk without installation in windows.
But to to get those files exracted you need to run that damn shitty installer(!!)
===>SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe /NOCANDY
And umark all addware checkboxes when there's the installer dialog is appearing on the screen!!!
VERY IMPORTANT!!!

https://www.heise.de/download/product/imgburn-36237
{...}
"ImgBurn bringt Adware mit
Das Setup-Programm von ImgBurn enthält den OpenCandy-Installer, der teils ungefragt weitere Software auf dem Computer installiert. Wer diese nicht auf dem Rechner haben möchte, sollte das Installations-Programm mit dem Parameter "/NOCANDY" aufrufen."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This .mds file contains the layer break position of the original DVD and whether the DVD-ROM media is recorded in opposite track (OTP) path or parallel track path (PTP)
Most DVDs use OTP. But some DVD-ROM discs European version like "Start Trek DS9 Season 2" use Parallel Track Path. (Season 1 for example is in OTP instead).

When mounting from .mds instead from iso AnyDVD status window shows same layer position information as on original DVD_ROM.
When mounting from iso, Layer break postion is at have the size of disk, at half sector count (50%/50%)

AnyDVD's might not produce an .mds because it's from Alcohol 120% software, and some licensing thing perhaps.

You can still create an .mds afterwards with ImgBurn, but then you have to extract the .iso and recreate a new iso from those extracted files/folders.
And I noticed that ImgBurn won't find the layer break position from the original DVD-ROM any longer in most cases.
ImgBurn complains when trying to burn from isos that are above 4,7 GiBytes, when .mds is missing.

When you write to DVD+R DL (Double Layer) is only working with OTP-Discs.
Parallel Track path if for DVD-R DL (Dual Layer) only.

You'll find that information in the AnyDVD status window, whether OTP or PTP, too.

If you should have a Parallel Track path DVD-ROM and DVD-R DL is rare to buy today, you might need to extract the iso from Virtual drive. Then make a new iso from files/folders and produce the .mds with OTP option with ImgBurn.
Have to check again f that program really has such an option.
I haven't tried this, but maybe it's a solution to burn PTP Discs to DVD+R DL via the conversion steps (if that's working), not sure.

Last edited:
I use ImgBurn to make as an iso, AnyDVD's other ripper than "rip to HDD" offers as well .iso output.

I personally am preferring ImgBurn, because it's helfpul when burning the iso from a two-layer-disc to a two-layer-disc like DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL as it produces an additional .mds (Media descriptor file) when copying to iso.

This .mds file contains the layer break position of the original DVD and whether the DVD-ROM media is recorded in opposite track (OTP) path or parallel track path (PTP)
Most DVDs use OTP. But some DVD-ROM discs European version like "Start Trek DS9 Season 2" use Parallel Track Path. (Season 1 for example is in OTP instead).

When mounting from .mds instead from iso AnyDVD status window shows same layer position information as on original DVD_ROM.
When mounting from iso, Layer break postion is at have the size of disk, at half sector count (50%/50%)

AnyDVD's might not produce an .mds because it's from Alcohol 120% software, and some licensing thing perhaps.

You can still create an .mds afterwards with ImgBurn, but then you have to extract the .iso and recreate a new iso from those extracted files/folders.
And I noticed that ImgBurn won't find the layer break position from the original DVD-ROM any longer in most cases.
ImgBurn complains when trying to burn from isos that are above 4,7 GiBytes, when .mds is missing.

When you write to DVD+R DL (Double Layer) is only working with OTP-Discs.
Parallel Track path if for DVD-R DL (Dual Layer) only.

You'll find that information in the AnyDVD status window, whether OTP or PTP, too.

If you should have a Parallel Track path DVD-ROM and DVD-R DL is rare to buy today, you might need to extract the iso from Virtual drive. Then make a new iso from files/folders and produce the .mds with OTP option with ImgBurn.
Have to check again f that program really has such an option.
I haven't tried this, but maybe it's a solution to burn PTP Discs to DVD+R DL via the conversion steps (if that's working), nut sure.
CloneCD will do that as well. Just change it to an image from a CloneCD control file in the save as box when asked where to save it. The file that contains the same information as the MDS from Imgburn for Dual layer disc is a .dvd file.

Yes I know. I have burnt an iso above 4,7 GB DVD via an .iso and a .dvd-file one time.
But the sector count then differed by one sector (or byte, not sure) from the original DVD-ROM.
And compared it with the image mounted from .mds file.
But what matters that, that's only important when people like me should be pernickety.
And the disc played just fine.
Or perhaps that was because the programm starts counting at 0 = first sector, or at 1 = first sector, so I read out just the status window wrong
ImgBurn also writes an .dvd with the .mds together.
But CloneCD and CloneDVD CloneBD are just fine.
I hope it doesn't look like advertising.
Also bought a license for CloneBD and CloneDVD :)
CloneCD is still missing, will that try out, too

Last edited:
Yaris never claimed something like that.
One should read twice before correcting surmised mistakes.
Yaris can speak for his or herself. Not sure when you became Yaris but if your making multiple accounts then this is a problem. And one should refrain from speaking for someone else when they are not that person.

Yaris can speak for his or herself. Not sure when you became Yaris but if your making multiple accounts then this is a problem. And one should refrain from speaking for someone else when they are not that person.
Let me Moderate the forum please. If you can help someone please do, but dont remind people what they should or should not be doing.

If you want to carry it to extremes there is also a plugin for DAEMON Tools Pro/Ultra which doesn't strip the CSS encryption.
But practically this doen't really make sense ;)
Does this mean you can make a copy with the encryption included? If so, will it play perfectly in a dvd player? This would be useful to me because I trade movies to watch with friends but would like to make sure they're not copying the dvd. This way, I could keep my original collection safe and scratch free and maybe loan out a protected copy instead. What's the name of the plugin?

No and no. Of course a copy with the protection intact won't play, the protection will kick in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) with Tapatalk

No and no. Of course a copy with the protection intact won't play, the protection will kick in.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) with Tapatalk

Isn't there a way to make a 1:1 copy with the structural protection only intact?
Plays - but won't copy easily?
-W

Does this mean you can make a copy with the encryption included?
There are no SCSI RAW Read/Write commands for DVDs, so burning CSS to a blank is impossible, That's only possible in the pressing plant.
What the plugin does is reading the drive buffer, and it was originally intended for creating working images of the ProtectDISC software copy protection (which uses CSS flags).
But if you're still interested i could send you a link for the plugin.

Be careful ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 comes with ADWARE: So installing it in a command prompt is higly recommended:
Full ack, but ImgBurn doesn't use OpenCandy anymore cause SweetLabs has dumped OpenCandy.
All mirrors on the ImgBurn download page host clean adware-free versions - except Mirror 7 provided by ImgBurn o_O

Yeah, it's called the AnyDVD image ripper and it's exactly what you shouldn't do. The ISO ripper will strip everything but SP, but there may be playback problems. You can't have it both ways.

Back