• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HM Search

I want to add that I understand the search for HM is difficult to deal with. But that's what we pay Redfox! :) I have full confidence in Redfox's abilities!

Also I have multiple logs I attached up above but can add more if needed. Just let me know.

I solved the search problem by changing to a different user profile. Works for me now.

Has anyone noticed that when you use the search window in AS on HBOMax that if you type in, say, "goonies" followed by ENTER, the rows move but nothing gets highlighted, but if you leftclick on the Search button to the right of the search window it takes you right there? It took me a while to notice this. I have read through all the postings on this topic and, unless I missed something, no one seems to have pointed this out.

Last edited:
Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, OS Build 19043.1237 here. Only things I've not been able to find are as mentioned Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, which I've not ever been able to find, and Real Time with Bill Maher. Other than that, everything I've searched for that I've found through justwatch.com has shown up for me.
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎10/‎27/‎2020
OS build 19043.1288
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

Has anyone noticed that when you use the search window in AS on HBOMax that if you type in, say, "goonies" followed by ENTER, the rows move but nothing gets highlighted, but if you rightclick on the Search button to the right of the search window it takes you right there? It took me a while to notice this. I have read through all the postings on this topic and, unless I missed something, no one seems to have pointed this out.

Maybe no one pointed it out because for most people it is not happening that way.
For instance, if I type in Goonies in the search bar the movie Goonies is shown in a little section titled "Search results for: goonies" and if I hit enter that section stays at the top with just the movie Goonies in it.

As Pete states in post #24 above:

As I've stated elsewhere, HBO's protocol is a mess. It's probably something that grew over time and things were added, removed renamed until there was no clear logic left.
It's tough to analyze the data and determine what piece of information means what. Many things are redundant, content representation may be available twice in different ways, sometimes it's only one, sometimes the other, ....
That's where the cause of the problem is.

It's difficult to pinpoint, because we cannot replicate the problems. Apparently, everyone gets the results in a different format and it also varies over time, I guess because they add some randomization to make their content more "vivid"?
Which is why we need log files for this - screenshots don't help at all (saying that you're not getting results is no different from showing it).

It appears there is no consistency in the HMax search functionality, which is why it is so hard to track down.

For what it's worth, HBOMax search is broken for me also (using AS 1.2.2.3). It was working fine just 2 days ago. I'm using a VPN, but using the same VPN returns correct search results on HOB Max's website in a web browser. Only AS seems to have broken search.

i enter ''goonies', dont even have to hit search button but rather wait one second and the search results appear in top collumn.

I am a little frustrated with this issue. We have not really heard much about it from Redfox. But clearly enough people have chimed in (and with log files) to get some sort of response. I mean something official about when it might be fixed or if it will etc. Not trying to cause a fuss and in the grand scheme of things it's not the biggest deal in the world but would be nice to have some communication on the topic.

It seems like a big deal to me, I can't get to many titles that I want on HBO Max because they're not on the home page...

We have not really heard much about it from Redfox. But clearly enough people have chimed in (and with log files) to get some sort of response. I mean something official about when it might be fixed or if it will etc.

See my last two (are those official?) posts in this thread. I stated, that at the moment, I have absolutely no idea where to start - the whole thing simply doesn't happen for me, I can't reproduce it. Every single search results in what I expect.
I can't suck a fantasy deadline out of my fingers for when it may be fixed, as long as I don't even know what causes it.
Sure, I can regularly pop in here and hold anyone's hand, make up encouraging words to make them feel better :) But that will certainly not speed things up.
We're in the middle of a really major change and some things just have to wait for others to be finished first.

So... please just be patient, you know that we always take care of things.

Last edited:
See my last to (are those official?) posts in this thread. I stated, that at the moment, I have absolutely no idea where to start - the whole thing simply doesn't happen for me, I can't reproduce it. Every single search results in what I expect.
I can't suck a fantasy deadline out of my fingers for when it may be fixed, as long as I don't even know what causes it.
Sure, I can regularly pop in here and hold anyone's hand, make up encouraging words to make them feel better :) But that will certainly not speed things up.
We're in the middle of a really major change and some things just have to wait for others to be finished first.

I get it. I did see your post about the code jumble and not being able to reproduce it and I appreciate the info but that was not enough. That sort of made it seem like you were throwing your hands in the air and that was not sufficient in my opinion.

HOWEVER

The part about working on new stuff, other code and being patient is what I was looking for. So thank you.

See my last two (are those official?) posts in this thread. I stated, that at the moment, I have absolutely no idea where to start - the whole thing simply doesn't happen for me, I can't reproduce it. Every single search results in what I expect.

One good workaround, whenever you can get to it, would be to implement the display of the user's wish list on the HBO homepage in AS. That way, we could search and add titles to our list in a web browser, and then have access to it in AS.

One good workaround, whenever you can get to it, would be to implement the display of the user's wish list on the HBO homepage in AS. That way, we could search and add titles to our list in a web browser, and then have access to it in AS.
There is no wish list, and I am not sure you can implement one on the HBO Homepage. Please let the developers do their job. We appreciate all the feedback but we know what we are doing. Please let us do it.

There is no wish list, and I am not sure you can implement one on the HBO Homepage. Please let the developers do their job. We appreciate all the feedback but we know what we are doing. Please let us do it.

I probably used the wrong term when saying "wish list". It's just called "My List" on the HBO homepage where you can add the movies that you want to eventually watch. It would be great to have it displayed in AS. However, I'm happy to be patient and let the developers do their jobs, I do understand they have a lot on their plate.

My apologies as it looks like I started a new thread not realizing what HM Search was from a topic perspective. When the search function fires, does it log the return value to the debug log? I image that it does not since that would fill up pretty fast since the function fires automatically from the 4th character onward. So, how can we help provide the information to help track down the problem?
The use cases I've seen odd behavior:
1) Same account 1 profile can find something in search another profile can not. Overall behavior is inconsistent because closing AS and reloading the search works where it did not before, and then the next time it won't work.
2) Search returns a result for some of the characters but not all, ex. "dark kni" shows The Dark Knight in the search results, but getting to "dark knig" and beyond does not. This is also inconsistent as sometimes it does and sometimes it does not behave like this.

Back