• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

High Def and BlueRay...

But my system here hasn't shown one glitch yet that would've been owed to hw-accel when running PowerDVD Ultra (maybe thanks to AnyDVD/HD? :) ).
You're right. Since I have AnyDVD HD running, PowerDVD Ultra runs much, much better. Without AnyDVD HD I got the annoying "Pure Virtual Function Call" crash quite often. Looks like a bug in their AACS code. Together with AnyDVD HD it indeed runs without a glitch.

You're right. Since I have AnyDVD HD running, PowerDVD Ultra runs much, much better. Without AnyDVD HD I got the annoying "Pure Virtual Function Call" crash quite often. Looks like a bug in their AACS code. Together with AnyDVD HD it indeed runs without a glitch.

HAHAHAHAHA! That's awesome. :) Fixing bugs that shouldn't even exist. Very nice. :)

Did you notice the "directory to store script files" edit box?
With an XML editor you can remaster HD DVDs on the fly (!!!!!) without making a copy. The script files will magically replace the files on the physical disc. So you can create customized playback of movies *without* ripping them at all.
How cool is that?
I believe that's what you were asking for, right? ;)

Holy hell!!! That's exactly what I was asking for!! WOW. Just WOW!! That is so damn kuel! Ok, I know what I'm asking for for my birthday. :) I wanna try this out. :)

Holy hell!!! That's exactly what I was asking for!! WOW. Just WOW!! That is so damn kuel! Ok, I know what I'm asking for for my birthday. :) I wanna try this out. :)

So, for your birthday you'll need:
1.) A fast HTPC, the bigger the harddisk, the better
2.) XBOX360 HD DVD drive
3.) AnyDVD HD (of course)
4.) PowerDVD Ultra
5.) Lots of HD DVDs. Check out the 10% discount at amazon.com. If you buy three titles with one order, you'll get 10% discount on all HD DVD titles for one year.

EDIT:
6.) A JVC RS-1 (or similar) projector would round up the viewing experience.
7.) Use a HTPC with XP, not Vista, because of
8.) ReClock

Last edited:
So, for your birthday you'll need:
1.) A fast HTPC, the bigger the harddisk, the better
2.) XBOX360 HD DVD drive
3.) AnyDVD HD (of course)
4.) PowerDVD Ultra
5.) Lots of HD DVDs. Check out the 10% discount at amazon.com. If you buy three titles with one order, you'll get 10% discount on all HD DVD titles for one year.

I'll see what I can do. If I can get my wife to maybe buy me the drive I can get PowerDVD Ultra and then pick up some HD-DVDs. It's coming up in a week and a half so I'll see what I can do. I'd LOVE to try out AnyDVD HD. :) My machine will be more than capable of handling HD-DVDs...I already deal with HD video from my cable box on a regular basis. Plus I have an HD tuner that does QAM unencrypted channels to record broadcast tv off my cable system in HD. I'll talk to my wife and see what she had in mind for my birthday. :)

James, is this good enough?

Pentium 4 3.20GHz w/ HT processor
1 GB of DDR2 RAM
80GB SATA HD (SATA is fast)

I'll see what I can do. If I can get my wife to maybe buy me the drive I can get PowerDVD Ultra and then pick up some HD-DVDs. It's coming up in a week and a half so I'll see what I can do. I'd LOVE to try out AnyDVD HD. :) My machine will be more than capable of handling HD-DVDs...I already deal with HD video from my cable box on a regular basis. Plus I have an HD tuner that does QAM unencrypted channels to record broadcast tv off my cable system in HD. I'll talk to my wife and see what she had in mind for my birthday. :)
I hope your machine isn't running Vista, 'cause without ReClock you can't eliminate the 3:2 pulldown judder (if your display is capable of 24/48/72 Hz vertical refresh rate, of course).

EDIT:
6.) A JVC RS-1 (or similar) projector would round up the viewing experience.
7.) Use a HTPC with XP, not Vista, because of
8.) ReClock

Yea, 6 is definitely not happening just yet. :) But some day soon we'll have something nice for the viewing experience. ;) I wish they'd fix ReClock to work with Vista. I have 2 media pc's...one with Vista and one with MCE2005 for that very reason. I'd LOVE to upgrade the other box but not until we get a solution to ReClock.

I hope your machine isn't running Vista, 'cause without ReClock you can't eliminate the 3:2 pulldown judder (if your display is capable of 24/48/72 Hz vertical refresh rate, of course).

Won't be an issue. I have 2 machines so I can use the MCE2005 box for testing for now.

In that case, my processor isn't on the list. But my CPU is very good, I have total confidence in it regardless of that opinionated list.

I wish they'd fix ReClock to work with Vista. I have 2 media pc's...one with Vista and one with MCE2005 for that very reason. I'd LOVE to upgrade the other box but not until we get a solution to ReClock.
I am indeed a little bit concerned, the author of ReClock has somehow "vanished". I doubt my boss would approve me to write a "SlyReClock" during my worktime, as I won't be able to convince him of the "commercial value" of such a tool... I doubt a lot of people would consider paying for it.

What is ReClock and what does it do? I need a little clarification so I can take a stand on this issue. Need the facts.

What is ReClock and what does it do? I need a little clarification so I can take a stand on this issue. Need the facts.

The best thing is to let the author speak himself:
http://reclock.free.fr/

The purpose of ReClock is to definitely get rid of jerky playback of AVI and MPEG material on a PC (or a HTPC driving a TV, a flat panel, or a video-projector). It's a DirectShow filter which is loaded in place of the default directsound audio renderer.
It provides a new reference clock that is locked to the video card hardware clock, in order to ensure that frames are played at the exact speed of what is expected by the video card vertical sync.
It also provides a frame rate adaptator for media files that do not match a multiple of the video card refresh rate (ex: playback of 23,976fps IVTC NTSC on a PAL TV).
The combination of the two will give you the true experience of smooth playback with your PC.
Finally it is an audio renderer with hardware or software rate adaptation in real-time, multi-channel audio, audio timestretching (pal speedup compensation) and dynamic range compression capabilities.

I am indeed a little bit concerned, the author of ReClock has somehow "vanished". I doubt my boss would approve me to write a "SlyReClock" during my worktime, as I won't be able to convince him of the "commercial value" of such a tool... I doubt a lot of people would consider paying for it.

Yea, when Tru and I were talking about this at CDF a few months ago I looked to see if I could find a Vista solution. There are people who claim it doesn't need it but I'm not convinced. (Nor have I had the time to test that theory either) But it would be a shame if we didn't see a Vista version. You're probably right, though, the commercial value is probably next to 0. :/

The best thing is to let the author speak himself:
http://reclock.free.fr/

The purpose of ReClock is to definitely get rid of jerky playback of AVI and MPEG material on a PC (or a HTPC driving a TV, a flat panel, or a video-projector). It's a DirectShow filter which is loaded in place of the default directsound audio renderer.
It provides a new reference clock that is locked to the video card hardware clock, in order to ensure that frames are played at the exact speed of what is expected by the video card vertical sync.
It also provides a frame rate adaptator for media files that do not match a multiple of the video card refresh rate (ex: playback of 23,976fps IVTC NTSC on a PAL TV).
The combination of the two will give you the true experience of smooth playback with your PC.
Finally it is an audio renderer with hardware or software rate adaptation in real-time, multi-channel audio, audio timestretching (pal speedup compensation) and dynamic range compression capabilities.
Sounds good to me.

Yea, when Tru and I were talking about this at CDF a few months ago I looked to see if I could find a Vista solution. There are people who claim it doesn't need it but I'm not convinced.
Me neither. I have a lot of PAL DVDs (it comes with the job :D ) who are (IMHO) absolutely unwatchable because of the PAL speedup problem.

PAL DVDs are nice, because they do have a higher resolution than NTSC DVDs. But the PAL Speedup is a problem, at least for me. Want to get a taste how the poor people in PAL countries suffer?
Look here:

http://www.schmidt-web.info/malte/english.html

ReClock is the *only way* (I know of) to correct this problem. Vista does not help here at all.

Last edited:
Me neither. I have a lot of PAL DVDs (it comes with the job :D ) who are (IMHO) absolutely unwatchable because of the PAL speedup problem.

PAL DVDs are nice, because they do have a higher resolution than NTSC DVDs. But the PAL Speedup is a problem, at least for me. Want to get a taste how the poor people in PAL countries suffer?
Look here:

http://www.schmidt-web.info/malte/english.html

ReClock is the *only way* (I know of) to correct this problem. Vista does not help here at all.

I'm not surprised that the information I read about Vista was...um, "inaccurate". :D As I said I never got a chance to test it after I had read that. I have some PAL DVD's but they don't seem to show the speed up problem...possibly because they are shorter TV show episode discs and not full length movies. At least...I haven't noticed the problem. :) Nonetheless, if this is an issue in Vista, then we are screwed as there is no solution. That really bites...

Back