• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

High Def and BlueRay...

LOL!!!!
Offensive -- maybe. But funny as hell! :D

:D I'd like to make it my Avatar but can't find any option in my settings to save it to...
and don't see Avatar's shown in posts anyway, for anyone else, ...
I guess only moderators get that option HUH? :bowdown:

BTW- I noticed something strange with the emotion icons ...
the one for 'disagree' is the same as the 'agree' icon
:p
not that it really matters, just noticed it, .. haha ...

anywho, I hope Giancarlo Bettini doesn't kick me off of here,
for what I did with the picture ... hehehehe!
Only members can see it anyway, after signing in...
so it's not out there for all to see, sort of.

I'm not surprised that the information I read about Vista was...um, "inaccurate". :D As I said I never got a chance to test it after I had read that. I have some PAL DVD's but they don't seem to show the speed up problem...possibly because they are shorter TV show episode discs and not full length movies. At least...I haven't noticed the problem. :) Nonetheless, if this is an issue in Vista, then we are screwed as there is no solution. That really bites...
If these were (british BBC?) TV shows made on (PAL) video, you won't have PAL speedup. On everything else (with only a few exceptions) you'll have it.

If these were (british BBC?) TV shows made on (PAL) video, you won't have PAL speedup. On everything else (with only a few exceptions) you'll have it.

Ah, yes, they are indeed BBC TV shows in PAL format that I imported (stupid BBC America...I hate that station...hence I just go buy the DVD's from the UK instead). I don't have any PAL movies currently.

Ah, yes, they are indeed BBC TV shows in PAL format that I imported (stupid BBC America...I hate that station...hence I just go buy the DVD's from the UK instead). I don't have any PAL movies currently.

amazon.co.uk
amazon.fr
amazon.de
amazon.co.jp
amazon.com

is your friendly "all over the world (HD)DVD delivery service". :D

Did I mention that HD DVDs are not region coded? :D

amazon.co.uk
amazon.fr
amazon.de
amazon.co.jp
amazon.com

You did before, which is good news.

amazon.co.uk
amazon.fr
amazon.de
amazon.co.jp
amazon.com

Oh, believe me, I know all about amazon. :) That's where I get all my UK discs. Region coding, region coding....hmmmm, OHHHH, right, that's that annoying thing I have to deal with if my red fox isn't there. IOW, it's never been a probelm. :D

I keep seeing people on here saying that even though they would like to see Sony fail, they feel that Blu-ray is superior to HD-DVD. I have no idea were you are getting this from. Forget memory capacity. After you get past 20g for home use; who the hell cares. You really want to see which is better, get a Blu-Ray player and a HD-DVD player next to each other and compare the pictures. The Blu-ray picture is absolute garbage. My old upconverter DVD player faked a better HD picture than the Blu-ray makes. The quality of the HD-DVD players is FAR superior to that of the Blu-ray.

I keep seeing people on here saying that even though they would like to see Sony fail, they feel that Blu-ray is superior to HD-DVD. I have no idea were you are getting this from. Forget memory capacity. After you get past 20g for home use; who the hell cares. You really want to see which is better, get a Blu-Ray player and a HD-DVD player next to each other and compare the pictures. The Blu-ray picture is absolute garbage. My old upconverter DVD player faked a better HD picture than the Blu-ray makes. The quality of the HD-DVD players is FAR superior to that of the Blu-ray.
Blu-Ray is superior for storing data. HD-DVD is superior for movies.

Who the hell needs to store that much data on a portable disc? Maybe a major corporation, but the everyday joe schmoe would be blowing money out their
a$$. Blu-ray blows. I bought mine and it just sits there watching me us my HD-DVD player.

Who the hell needs to store that much data on a portable disc? Maybe a major corporation, but the everyday joe schmoe would be blowing money out their
a$$. Blu-ray blows. I bought mine and it just sits there watching me us my HD-DVD player.
It could be nice to backup a lot of information.

I keep seeing people on here saying that even though they would like to see Sony fail, they feel that Blu-ray is superior to HD-DVD. I have no idea were you are getting this from.
Me neither, at least not for watching movies. HD DVD is much more consumer friendly IMHO (no region code, less drm, works with "red laser" DVDs).
The HD DVD standard defines more features as mandatory, so the studios can rely on more features present in all players (very important IMHO).

Forget memory capacity. After you get past 20g for home use; who the hell cares.
For data storage (backups) I do care. The more, the better. For movies, the 30GB of HD DVD is fine (when using advanced codecs like VC1 or H264).
Blu-ray uses up 50 GB space, because Sony likes to use space consuming MPEG2 on their transfers. :doh:
Or they have to encode the movie twice on one disc, because PIP is not mandatory on all Blu-ray players like with HD DVD. :doh:

You really want to see which is better, get a Blu-Ray player and a HD-DVD player next to each other and compare the pictures. The Blu-ray picture is absolute garbage. My old upconverter DVD player faked a better HD picture than the Blu-ray makes. The quality of the HD-DVD players is FAR superior to that of the Blu-ray.
Uh-oh. Maybe you had bad luck and picked one of the inferior mastered early MPEG2 Blu-ray discs, or your Blu-Ray player sucks.
If you compare titles with similar encoding (e.g., from Warner) you shouldn't see any difference. But you are right, there are some Blu-ray titles that suck. A big downer for "high definition" addicts.
I don't have one myself, but I heard of some "not so good" HD DVD transfers as well, but it seems to happen more often with Blu-ray.
But to be fair, this is not a problem of the format.

James, yesterday someone posted an article that suggested HD-DVD might include region coding soon.

James, yesterday someone posted an article that suggested HD-DVD might include region coding soon.
*Might* is the keyword here. HD DVD is made by the DVD Forum, so there is a proposal, then there is a vote for approval, ...
I am certain they are discussing this topic at the moment. I am not sure, if it will happen. In some countries region codes are considered illegal (was it Australia?) because it is against "fair trade law", and "mod chips" which bypass region codes cannot be banned.
So, adding a region code could probably backfire. :D
And don't forget - a region scheme must be backward compatible with all existing discs and players. I wouldn't worry too much at this time... :D

*Might* is the keyword here. HD DVD is made by the DVD Forum, so there is a proposal, then there is a vote for approval, ...
I am certain they are discussing this topic at the moment. I am not sure, if it will happen. In some countries region codes are considered illegal (was it Australia?) because it is against "fair trade law", and "mod chips" which bypass region codes cannot be banned.
So, adding a region code could probably backfire. :D
And don't forget - a region scheme must be backward compatible with all existing discs and players. I wouldn't worry too much at this time... :D
I'm hoping it doesn't happen, I want your job to easier and for it to be easier to use media.

Firstly, we are not "home users" per say - we are computer users, and we need to make back-ups. As a computer professional I can tell you that the vast majority of users NEVER back up their computers. This is usually because there is no easy way to do it. CDs are way to small. DVDs are generally 4.7 Gb. Dual layer 9Gb RW discs are relatively expensive and not on sale in stores here in the UK. Tape drives are expensive and the media unreliable. iOmega's Rev system is pretty good but very expensive and the media is expensive also. The computer world is crying out for something like a Blu-Ray RW disc that can hold 200 Gb or potentially 250 Gb and write that amount of data in 15 minutes or less.... unfortunately I don't see the industry giving us this ability for some time. They will dribble it out slowly over the years to maximise on re-purchase profit :(

As far as your comment on Blu-Ray quality is concerned: If the content of the disc is the same the movies will be of the same quality. It is possible that you were watching an early demo BD movie. Some of these use Microsoft's WMV compression (I believe Terminator 2 is one of these but don't quote me on that!) and although these are regionless the quality is far below the levels that raw HD movies can display. Some also use MPEG-2 compression which would also mean a loss in quality.

In theory also, Blu-Ray has the potential to deliver more bandwidth and therefore better quality than HD-DVD.

If this "war" was just about home users with an HD player plugged into an HD TV then I am certain that HD-DVD would win hands down. It was out first, it is cheaper and it is currently regionless. This is not, however, just about home users.

Hard disks are getting more huge by the hour, seemingly! 200Gb is the norm these days and they will certainly not be getting smaller in the future! How would you propose to backup a hard disk of that size?

How many DVDs would you need to back up the contents of YOUR hard disk and how long would that take? Yep, so you don't bother do you?

A large capacity, highly portable, low media cost, permanent storage method is desperately needed. Corporate customers currently use tape mainly or 75Gb Rev drives. Home users use nothing. Both need a solution.

Back