• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD/BD TV Episode Back Up Procedure for Newbies

Oh boy, we really need to start from scratch here ...

Did you ever have a look at the disk in your windows explorer?
See the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders? That IS the folder structure of a DVD ... which is decrypted and copied to your HDD by AnyDVD, Meaning "Rip Video Disc to Harddrive"
The other option is the encapsulation of the original folder structure in a single ISO image (decrypted if possible I think, otherwise with protection ... the other members please correct me here)
1690098054299.png
You should see this by rightclicking the fox.

Both options contain evreything from the DVD, including menus, extras...

If you want single playable files you have to use other tools, like CloneDVD, where you select the output format (MKV, MP4 ...) and the resulting size.
Or, like you already mentioned, use MakeMKV, which does a copy of the main movie, or even the extras, to single playable MKV files, but the menu is gone then.

The other option is the encapsulation of the original folder structure in a single ISO image (decrypted if possible I think, otherwise with protection ... the other members please correct me here)
There is a checkbox that says something like "Copy copy protection" (lol) when you Rip to Image. Only if you select this checkbox, it will be protected.

Oh boy, we really need to start from scratch here ...

Did you ever have a look at the disk in your windows explorer?
See the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders? That IS the folder structure of a DVD ... which is decrypted and copied to your HDD by AnyDVD, Meaning "Rip Video Disc to Harddrive"
View attachment 73248
You should see this by rightclicking the fox.

Both options contain evreything from the DVD, including menus, extras...

If you want single playable files you have to use other tools, like CloneDVD, where you select the output format (MKV, MP4 ...) and the resulting size.
Or, like you already mentioned, use MakeMKV, which does a copy of the main movie, or even the extras, to single playable MKV files, but the menu is gone then.
Well, I told you I was a newbie, but yes, I've clicked on the ODD many times over the years and saw those audio and video TS files. But right clicking on the Fox icon shows nothing there saying rip to hard disc. So, I clicked Open, the app opens, clicked on Program Settings, again nothing there saying rip to hard disc. But Enable AnyDVD is checked.

The only thing I could find which might have something to do with ripping is when I clicked on the CSS Keys folder. In there, both read from and write to archive are checked.

There's also a big Default button on the lower left of the app. What's that for?

Also, is it possible that AnyDVD had already ripped the DVD? If yes, I see nothing of it in my E storage drive.

So, where on the system C or storage might it be?

ALSO, see posts #22 and 23 on the previous page, where I asked if I could rip the DVD to a drive other than the C system drive, to which Coopervd said yes. So, that's true, yes?

Assuming as much, in the HD DVD folder > Directory to store script files, I entered E:\From Hell to Texas.

But in Directory to store temp files it already says C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Temp\AnyDVDHD.

So, is this DVD already ripped? If not, how?

And can I rip directly to my E drive, not my system C drive?

Again, however, so far, I cannot find anything in the app that says rip and save to ISO.

There is a checkbox that says something like "Copy copy protection" (lol) when you Rip to Image. Only if you select this checkbox, it will be protected.

Another thing. Would you say that most AnyDVD users whether or not they burn their ripped movies and TV episodes to DVD or BD, save them as ISO files, rather MKV files? If yes, that's mainly in order to preserve the menu, yes?

If yes, the good news is that I no longer care that ISO files won't play in my Oppo and Pioneer players; that the original DVDs and BDs do is enough. What does matter is that going forward with backing up my collection, however many of a DVD's audio and video TS files-OR contents of same-are ripped, that the menu is to that degree functional, via the ISO format.

For example, https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Mason-...690148831&sprefix=perry+mason+,aps,134&sr=8-2

for each of the four DVDs in this set, say that I only want to rip some number less than the all of the episodes on each disc. As I don't want to waste HDD and/or SDD server space, how do I know which files I need to rip and not rip?

And will the DVD's menu ripped and save to the ISO file not get hung up by the absence of the episodes I didn't rip, yet work fine accessing those that I did rip?

And what exactly are scripting files? And how are they important to DVD ripping, saving to ISO or MKV files and/or to movie editing?

Do not rightclick the fox on the desktop ... use the one in the task tray in the lower right next to the clock (you might have to expand to see all icons)

Ripping to ISO always contains all contents of the disk, you can't select here.

Do not rightclick the fox on the desktop ... use the one in the task tray in the lower right next to the clock (you might have to expand to see all icons)

Okay, so right clicking on the tray icon offers to rip to image. Is that only if I want to burn the whole disc's directory (?) to a blank DVD? If yes, is that some kind of special ISO file?

But if I click rip video disk to hard disk what kind of ISO file is the disc's directory saved to?

Also, can I rip the DVD and save it directly to my storage E drive, rather than my system C driver?

Is that only if I want to burn the whole disc's directory (?) to a blank DVD? If yes, is that some kind of special ISO file?
Not only, but mainly. I always choose .iso as it is only one file and not all the individual files when ripping to folder.

But if I click rip video disk to hard disk what kind of ISO file is the disc's directory saved to?
Why do you expect it to be .iso as well when there os a dedicated option for .iso? Rip to hard disk rips the individual files as you can see them with Video TS without putting them into an .iso file.

Also, can I rip the DVD and save it directly to my storage E drive, rather than my system C driver?
Of course, if you open one of the rip to windows, you can see the path it will be saved to in the upper half. There you can switch to another drive.

And what exactly are scripting files? And how are they important to DVD ripping,
As I already said, HD DVD has nothing to do with DVD...

how do I know which files I need to rip and not rip?
You don't, as the episodes are sticked together sometimes. Use a program like MakeMKV or DVDShrink to select conts of the disc. There you can also remove other audio languages if you don't need them.

And will the DVD's menu ripped and save to the ISO file not get hung up by the absence of the episodes I didn't rip, yet work fine accessing those that I did rip?
I heard so, but never tried. Unless you click on something you removed, you should have no issues. But don't know myself.

But as I already said, since you have to return the disc it is best if you just rip the full movie first, regardless if you rip to .iso or to folder, and then you can try to only rip the contents you want. Not only will it be faster than reading from the disc itself, but you can always go back to the original files if you messed something up.

Last edited:
But as Ibalready said, since you have to return the disc it is best if you just rip the full movie first, regardless if you rip to .iso or to folder, and then you can try to only rip the contents you want. Not only will it be faster than reading from the disc itself, but you can always go back to the original files if you messed something up.
I don't mean to be rude, but why don't you go and try yourself?
There's a huge number of users who did so ... there's not much you can do wrong.
I right clicked on the fox in the tray, clicked on rip dvd to hard disk, selected E drive for destination, clicked Copy Disc but got message: Drive D is not ready. But I tried playing the DVD via VLC player and no problem. Then I repeated the step but clicked rip to image but got the same error.

However, FWIW, I previously did copy and paste the DVD's video TS and audio TS files to the E drive. Might they be somehow configured to play as a movie?

Last edited:
Maybe if you are OK with just the main movie there is this solution: Download and install CloneBD. Select and copy the main movie. Don't set any compression, otherwise you need to purchase the program! Since the movie plays with VLC the error seems to come from parts of the disc that are not part of the main movie.

I right clicked on the fox in the tray, clicked on rip dvd to hard disk, selected E drive for destination, clicked Copy Disc but got message: Drive D is not ready. But I tried playing the DVD via VLC player and no problem. Then I repeated the step but clicked rip to image but got the same error.

However, FWIW, I previously did copy and paste the DVD's video TS and audio TS files to the E drive. Might they be somehow configured to play as a movie?
Can you please open and close the disc tray while AnyDV is running. "not ready" sounds like AnyDVD did not recognize the disc
When you see the disc title in the ripping window, you should be fine.

Okay, then it now seems obvious for how to decide between using ISO and MKV to losslessly backup content:

Choose ISO mostly for movies, where you not only want to save the original menu functionality but want to keep most of the "extras" (isolated scores, audio commentary)-because you cannot avoid saving the stuff you don't want, nor can you delete it later (studio fanfare, foreign languages. et al). AND also accepting the fact that as BD movies are probably at least 25 to 50GB or so, the ISO files you make of them will be that big also.

Choose MKV mostly for TV series episodes, where though losing the DVD or BD menu you can select which episodes and extras you want to save.

Question: For example, with this series, https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Twilight-Zone-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/300065/ -which among the extras includes many wonderful and well recorded isolated scores-does MakeMKV display and name all of the isolated score files on the BD?

So then after creating a Twilight Zone BD Edition folder and also an Isolated Score folder, is it then just a matter of ripping those isolated score files you want and saving them in the Score folder?

Can you please open and close the disc tray while AnyDV is running. "not ready" sounds like AnyDVD did not recognize the disc
When you see the disc title in the ripping window, you should be fine.
Too late, the disc was due back at the library. The good news is that I did find the same DVD edition for sale. But I will repeat this test, though this time I will save the ISO file to an external 500GB HDD.

Okay, then it now seems obvious for how to decide between using ISO and MKV to losslessly backup content:

Choose ISO mostly for movies, where you not only want to save the original menu functionality but want to keep most of the "extras" (isolated scores, audio commentary)-because you cannot avoid saving the stuff you don't want, nor can you delete it later (studio fanfare, foreign languages. et al). AND also accepting the fact that as BD movies are probably at least 25 to 50GB or so, the ISO files you make of them will be that big also.

Choose MKV mostly for TV series episodes, where though losing the DVD or BD menu you can select which episodes and extras you want to save.

Question: For example, with this series, https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Twilight-Zone-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/300065/ -which among the extras includes many wonderful and well recorded isolated scores-does MakeMKV display and name all of the isolated score files on the BD?

So then after creating a Twilight Zone BD Edition folder and also an Isolated Score folder, is it then just a matter of ripping those isolated score files you want and saving them in the Score folder?

They are really for different purposes.

The ISO is the entire physical disc. It is 100% of the data contained on the physical disc. Technically can be used to recreate the disc by writing to a blank disc (minus any DRM). It's just that a backup in case you lose the disc. Long term archival, not much more to do with it. Though technically if you love discs but want to go discless you can mount the ISOs in windows and treat it just like you inserted the physical disc even playing menus etc. Not sure what point of that is as take up more space and backup data should be put in cold storage and re copied every 3-5 years (if using a magnetic HDD).

MKV is just a container taking the sections of the TV Series or Movie you select and creating playable files you can watch or stream, edit etc.

Too late, the disc was due back at the library. The good news is that I did find the same DVD edition for sale. But I will repeat this test, though this time I will save the ISO file to an external 500GB HDD.
Library disc. Most likely treated like hell with fingerprints and scratched. You should have told us beforehand.

In addition: Players just skip unreadable sections and you might not even notice it. Rippers need to read the data 100% and if not possible you end up with read errors.

Last edited:
Library disc. Most likely treated like hell with fingerprints and scratched. You should have told us beforehand.
Sometimes Library discs are even DVD-R backup copies they lend out which is even worse as who knows how their burn quality is and have all finger prints etc. on top of it.

Too late, the disc was due back at the library. The good news is that I did find the same DVD edition for sale.
Then why use a library disk for testing?
From your posts I had the impression you have a collection of disks?
Why not use one of those?

Try LosslessCut for that.

You can copy it, but I am not sure if it will recognize the files properly when you want to edit the movie. I never tried that.
So just do the following:
-Copy the disc to Harddrive with AnyDVD
-Use Losslesscut to cut the movie
-Use a DVD creating program to convert your new movie file into DVD files (.vob files)
-Now, don't overwrite the files. Instead, create a new folder, put the old menu files in there and then the edited movie files as well.

In my case, I have a small DVD:
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0 .IFO/.VOB
VTS_01_1 (about 1GB)
VTS_01_2 (270 MB)
You will have as much 1GB files as there need to be and the last one will also be at another size, if there wasn't enough to fill the GB.
So you copy all the Video_TS, VTS_01_0 etc files from the original DVD folder and then the big 1GB VTS_01_1, 2, 3 from you edited folder.

Then you try if you can play it and if the menu can still open the movie.

This provided some important missing knowledge for my newbie brain. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Inside_DVD-Video/Directory_Structure

Then why use a library disk for testing?
From your posts I had the impression you have a collection of disks?
Why not use one of those?
Because I don't presently own "From Hell to Texas" on DVD, so I wanted to rip that public library DVD. And I've borrowed that DVD from the same library; no errors that I've noticed on playback.

Back