• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD/BD TV Episode Back Up Procedure for Newbies

??? To my System SSD drive only, or can I save it to my storage HDD drive?

Please read what it says: Please select the destination directory.

Of course you can select another drive.
Of course, I could be very wrong but as I don't see a third drive here it looks like you're doing a final save directly to your optical drive from your C drive (system drive). And presumably this was only after you had decrypted the DVD, copied the needed files from it to the C drive, made and saved any desired changes to the files, created other necessary files and folders, encapsulated those files in an MKV, ISO, MP4 or other container format to then burn that container to a blank DVD. Sounds like I'm experienced at doing this; just the opposite.

My point is that because I only see three drives here-and one is an optical drive-I don't see how a ripped DVD can be edited and the changes saved to anything but the system drive before the changes are all finally saved to a blank DVD. What I want is to rip the DVD, copy its entire-or at least most of-its contents to an HDD storage drive (the third drive), do all editing and saving and on that drive and then put the folders into a desired container (probably MKV) and then burn it to a DVD. Is this exactly what Any DVD HD and Clone BD and Clone DVD allows me to do?

Last edited:
Of course, I could be very wrong but as I don't see a third drive here it looks like you're doing a final save directly to your optical drive from your C drive (system drive). And presumably this was only after you had decrypted the DVD, copied the needed files from it to the C drive, made and saved any desired changes to the files, created other necessary files and folders, encapsulated those files in an MKV, ISO, MP4 or other container format to then burn that container to a blank DVD. Sounds like I'm experienced at doing this; just the opposite.

My point is that because I only see three drives here-and one is an optical drive-I don't see how a ripped DVD can be edited and the changes saved to anything but the system drive before the changes are all finally saved to a blank DVD. What I want is to rip the DVD, copy its entire-or at least most of-its contents to an HDD storage drive (the third drive), do all editing and saving and on that drive and then put the folders into a desired container (probably MKV) and then burn it to a DVD. Is this exactly what Any DVD HD and Clone BD and Clone DVD allows me to do?
Sorry - it seems you don't try on your own and that's what you should do and try.

Sorry - it seems you don't try on your own and that's what you should do and try.
I didn't try it on my own because I've yet to buy the software. Should I first buy something (that's not especially inexpensive either) only to find it out later that it can't do what I want?

I didn't try it on my own because I've yet to buy the software. Should I first buy something (that's not especially inexpensive either) only to find it out later that it can't do what I want?
You are not doing any research. There are trial versions of Redfox softwares. Now try it for yourself and don't ask anymore. You are much too passive. Babysitting comes to mind but I don't want to be too harsh.

You are not doing any research. There are trial versions of Redfox softwares. Now try it for yourself and don't ask anymore. You are much too passive. Babysitting comes to mind but I don't want to be too harsh.
True, I keep forgetting about the free trials. Thanks.

Seems like a lot of work; good thing I don't have many DVD movies with objectionable scenes to delete. Question: When using Any DVD to copy the disc, can I copy it to my PC's HDD storage drive or must I copy it to the SDD system drive? I'd rather spare the SDD if possible as unlike the HDD it has a limited number of rewrites.
It was just an idea I got when reading your post, I never tried it and have no clue if it would work.

Other than that, you can copy it anywhere you want. The SSD is faster than a HDD, but in this case the read speed of the disc is the limiting factor, so it doesn't matter. When you use LosslessCut or even re-encode it, the SSD might be noticeable, depending on your PC. But not neccessary.

It was just an idea I got when reading your post, I never tried it and have no clue if it would work.

Other than that, you can copy it anywhere you want.........
. I'm not sure if those understand my concern. Since, of course, Windows is on the system drive I try to write to it as little as I can to both maximize the life of the SSD and to prolong the time before Windows gets filled with temp files and lots of other junk which-unlike an HDD-you can't delete AND reclaim the space, even if you have a 1 or 2 TB system SDD-and may have to be reinstalled. And then using something like defragmenting software to more reposition file data for faster file access would be totally counterproductive as using such software would literally and permanently consume SDD space.

That's why I had asked if after you decrypt the DVD or BD, instead of copying its files to the Window system SSD to view and cut out the undesirable scenes-if I could copy them to an HDD "editing" (not permanent storage) drive, then use the editing software (stored on the system SDD, of course) to access the HDD, make the changes to the files, save them and then eventually burn the changes from the HDD to a blank DVD using Clone DVD. Can I do all of this as explained, or must all of the editing be done on the system SSD drive?

You can. BTW- you are too "paranoid". This is very easy. Install the trials and check it.

You can. BTW- you are too "paranoid". This is very easy. Install the trials and check it.
Okay, I'm just so behind with stuff before I can do so. Meanwhile, how can I show off my hardware list like you do at the bottom of your replies?

. I'm not sure if those understand my concern. Since, of course, Windows is on the system drive I try to write to it as little as I can to both maximize the life of the SSD and to prolong the time before Windows gets filled with temp files and lots of other junk which-unlike an HDD-you can't delete AND reclaim the space, even if you have a 1 or 2 TB system SDD-and may have to be reinstalled. And then using something like defragmenting software to more reposition file data for faster file access would be totally counterproductive as using such software would literally and permanently consume SDD space.

That's why I had asked if after you decrypt the DVD or BD, instead of copying its files to the Window system SSD to view and cut out the undesirable scenes-if I could copy them to an HDD "editing" (not permanent storage) drive, then use the editing software (stored on the system SDD, of course) to access the HDD, make the changes to the files, save them and then eventually burn the changes from the HDD to a blank DVD using Clone DVD. Can I do all of this as explained, or must all of the editing be done on the system SSD drive?

Just my two cents on this:
With standard Windows activity you won't even get close to write "limitation" measured in TeraBytes written.
I use a 4TB SSD for Downloading cache of AnyStream and re-working the videostreams. And I do that A LOT ... the device is now 3 years old and has around 95TBW. The "limit" is 2.4Petabytes Written... so I could go on like this for about 70 years ... see what I mean?
Of course smaller disks have a lower limit, depending on size and manufacturer but even then it should take several years to hit the mark.

Anyway, you should NEVER defragment an SSD ... that raises the TBW drastically because a lot of data is rewritten during the process.
There is NO need for defrag anyway, because every section of the SSD is accessed at the same speed (other than rotating HDDs, where putting the data near the center throch defragmentation would result in fewer movement of the read head and thus faster access.)

Okay, today I am finally ready to download and use AnyDVD HD. Presumably, this will be the trial version.
My first ever task is to rip an OOP DVD movie borrowed from the public library and save it either as an uncompressed ISO or MKV.

My understanding is that both containers have pros and cons: While ISO saves all of the menu functionality of the DVD, the file will not be playable via USB on my Oppo nor Pioneer BD players, thanks to those goons from the BD Assn. OTOH, MKV files will run on standalone players but won't capture menu functionality will only capture the VOB (?) file the contains the movie-and not any extras (e.g. commentary, isolated soundtrack).

Please advise ASAP so I can rip this DVD and return it Monday!

Last edited:
AnyDVD does not rip to MKV ... just to ISO or Folder Structure
Why don't you just try both?

Please, you're going too fast for my newbie brain. I have zero understanding of things like "data structures", and barely know anything about how ISO and MKV files differ. And what is folder structure and how does it differ from the other two containers?

Or should I just use this for now? https://www.makemkv.com/

Okay, AnyDVD trial installed. I right clicked on the Fox but nothing about ripping the DVD is shown. So I clicked on Open, clicked Video HD DVD and in the box saying "Directory to storage script files" I selected my E:\ drive, which is my storage (not system) SSD. Now what happens if I click OK?

Help, please. I clicked on OK. But nothing's happening.

So I clicked on Open, clicked Video HD DVD and in the box saying "Directory to storage script files"
First of all, that is just a setting for HD DVD and has nothing to do with ripping or nornal DVDs. You have to select rip to .iso or rip to harddrive.

As for your question regarding .iso or .mkv, you can just rip it to .iso or folder now and later convert it to the .mkv file. So just rip it now and return the disc, then you can deal if you want it as .mkv.

For converting, there are several programs, MakeMKV is one of them. Yes, the file doesn't have menus etc anymore, but you can rip these as individual files. So you don't have the menu to select things, but you can still save the extras and other stuff.

If you have any questions regarding how to convert, feel free to ask, but I would say deal with ripping the disc first so you can return it.

Back