• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

DVD/BD TV Episode Back Up Procedure for Newbies

tyner

I don’t yet own AnyDVD HD and CloneBD, but please review these, which I presume are the basic steps, when one wants to back up two or three TV episodes from a DVD or BD:

1.) AnyDVD HD and CloneBD are installed on the Windows 10 system SDD.

2.) Load the source DVD, upon which AnyDVD HD automatically decrypts it.

3.) Using CloneBD, select the episode (s) which you want to back up.

4.) From the DVD, copy the ???? for each of the two or three episodes to be backed up, and paste them to my PC’s storage HDD. And for each ????, give it a folder name (e.g. episode title).

5.) Eject the source DVD and load a blank DVD. Then copy and paste each folder name from the storage HDD to the blank DVD.

6.) Then use CloneBD to create a menu, readable and usable by VLC and JRiver players, and paste it to the blank DVD.

7.) Finally, on CloneBD click burn to save all changes to DVD.

Questions:

On the source DVD, what names appear on the file or folder names typically appear for each episode? Should or could I rename them as episode names?

This question probably has a very obvious answer, but in order to fit three ~ 60 minute episodes and the menu onto one disc, should I always use a dual layer DVD?

If yes, which specific brand (s) and type blank DVD has proven to be the least error prone?

Another obvious answer? Since each episode was initially hit with some amount of compression for all the contents to fit on the source DVD, no improved audio or video quality will be gained by setting CloneBD at any lower compression rate?

Since I don’t want to copy the entire source DVD, only one to three episodes from it, what file (or container??) format to I use to back up each episode? And which format ensures EXACTLY the same audio and video quality as on the source DVD?

Last edited:
From the DVD, copy the ???? for each of the two or three episodes to be backed up, and paste them to my PC’s storage HDD. And for each ????, give it a folder name (e.g. episode title).

5.) Eject the source DVD and load a blank DVD. Then copy and paste each folder name from the storage HDD to the blank DVD.

6.) Then use CloneBD to create a menu
1. If you copy the menu, you might end up with some none-working entries for the things you haven't copied as well. So when you then go to watch the disc, you have to keep this in mind to not get confused why it does not work.

2. If you don't copy the original menu as well, but want to have one, then you have to create it. Afaik this is not possible with CloneDVD (you asked for CloneBD, but that is only for BDs and can't create one either).
And you have to create it before burning it onto the disc.

So, what you have to do (summary, for more details read coops link):
-After AnyDVD did its work, open CloneDVD and copy the stuff you want. Don't create any folder or rename the files. Just leave them be.
-If you then want to create a custom menu, then try Free Video to DVD converter. It is a third party product, but I recently used it when I created and burned a DVD the first time in my life and it worked. So it should also work for you.
-Then use CloneDVD or another disc burning program to burn the resulting files (or the files CloneDVD created, if you don't want to use a custom menu). You should close AnyDVD before that, so it doesn't interrupt with the process.

Oh, one thing I then forgot to ask:
Do you have the possibility to attach USB devices like Sticks and Drives to your TV or Disc player?
Because then you could just copy the episodes to your drive, without the need to hassle with discs and all that.
Or maybe you can even pass through the signal from your PC to your TV.

But of course this only applies for one-time viewing. If you want to store the resulting DVD or watch it multiple times, then it might be better to burn it onto the disc.

I don’t yet own AnyDVD HD and CloneBD, but please review these, which I presume are the basic steps, when one wants to back up two or three TV episodes from a DVD or BD:
And one thing that wasn't mentioned, CloneBD is for BD (Bluray, UHD) only. It does not work with DVDs. For DVD, you would need to use CloneDVD. It does not work with BD.

And one thing that wasn't mentioned, CloneBD is for BD (Bluray, UHD) only. It does not work with DVDs. For DVD, you would need to use CloneDVD. It does not work with BD.
That's really exploitative marketing behavior on Elby's part; certainly DVD and BD cloning should have been combined into one app by now. And even when I clicked on buy now here and it took me here https://www.redfox.bz/purchase.html , there's no option to by CloneBD bundled with CloneDVD and AnyDVD HD.

That's really exploitative marketing behavior on Elby's part; certainly DVD and BD cloning should have been combined into one app by now. And even when I clicked on buy now here and it took me here https://www.redfox.bz/purchase.html , there's no option to by CloneBD bundled with CloneDVD and AnyDVD HD.
CloneDVD and CloneBD are Elby products, AnyDVD is a Redfox product. In the Slysoft days, they were able to sell Elby products. But since the forced shutdown of Slysoft and crosshairs looking to find Redfox, there isn't going to be that relationship I doubt.

Question: While I definitely will get substantial use out of Any DVD HD, thus making it a sensible purchase, I don't do streaming as I don't subscribe to a service. I normally find new movies from the regional library database and/or my local public library, and if I find something I want to borrow my library either has it, will buy it or will interloan it from another library for me to pick up. My library does offer free streaming from sources like Kanopy and Hoopla, but I've yet to see anything I'd want to download to own. Besides, sound quality is at least as important to me as the video, and lossless sound quality is not typically available from streaming sources.

Unfortunately, there are at least one if not two movies that I want to own on disc but which were never released on BD or even DVD-and only Amazon Prime has them. So my question is could I use the trial version of Any Streaming to download them? And then use CloneBD to burn each movie to a dual layered DVD?

Last edited:
Oh, one thing I then forgot to ask:
Do you have the possibility to attach USB devices like Sticks and Drives to your TV or Disc player?
Because then you could just copy the episodes to your drive, without the need to hassle with discs and all that.
Or maybe you can even pass through the signal from your PC to your TV.

But of course this only applies for one-time viewing. If you want to store the resulting DVD or watch it multiple times, then it might be better to burn it onto the disc.
No, that won't work for me as I don't subscribe to paid TV. I use Youtube, borrow movies from local public libraries and if I really enjoy them enough for long term multiple viewings I'll buy them for my collection.

Last edited:
So my question is could I use the trial version of Any Streaming to download them? And then use CloneBD to burn each movie to a dual layered DVD?
Depends on what you play it on. Using AnyStream, it would be downloaded as a mp4 (most likely). Unless your player can play mp4 format, then no without first converting it from a mp4 to a DVD format. If you can convert it, you could use ImgBurn (free program) to burn to a DVD.

Even at that, CloneBD can compress a movie to fit a DVD, but it would still be a Bluray format, just compressed to fit a DVD. It would have to be played on a BD player, it would not be recognized in a DVD player. And CloneBD would still need the file to be an iso or Bluray format to work with it, so a conversion would be necessary.

Last edited:
Depends on what you play it on. Using AnyStream, it would be downloaded as a mp4 (most likely). Unless your player can play mp4 format, then no without first converting it from a mp4 to a DVD format. If you can convert it, you could use ImgBurn (free program) to burn to a DVD.

Even at that, CloneBD can compress a movie to fit a DVD, but it would still be a Bluray format, just compressed to fit a DVD. It would have to be played on a BD player, it would not be recognized in a DVD player. And CloneBD would still need the file to be an iso or Bluray format to work with it, so a conversion would be necessary.
My Oppo 95 BD player can play MP4 files.
https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?ProdID=BDP-95, as does my Pioneer LX500 https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/manuals/docs/SN29403453_UDP-LX500_En_180703_web.pdf Both players can also read BD-RE discs which I might want to use CloneBD to burn both those movies to one.

Last edited:
My Oppo 95 BD player can play MP4 files.
https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?ProdID=BDP-95 as can my Pioneer LX500 https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/manuals/docs/SN29403453_UDP-LX500_En_180703_web.pdf Both players can also read BD-RE discs which I might want to use CloneBD to burn both those movies to one.
If you're going to convert your MP4 files into a Blu-ray format and then burn into a Blu-ray, please check out VSO software, especially their Blu-ray Converter program.

It has a trial period, but it will leave a watermark unless you purchase the program.

If you're going to convert your MP4 files into a Blu-ray format and then burn into a Blu-ray, please check out VSO software, especially their Blu-ray Converter program.

It has a trial period, but it will leave a watermark unless you purchase the program.
There is also the free program BDRebuilder which can convert MP4 or MKV into a BD structure for making a disc. It's a little tricky to set it up but works like a charm.

There is also the free program BDRebuilder which can convert MP4 or MKV into a BD structure for making a disc. It's a little tricky to set it up but works like a charm.
Thanks all of this great feedback, and for also mentioning MP4 and MKV, because I checked out the specs of both formats and found that only the latter offers lossless video and audio. https://www.gumlet.com/learn/mkv-vs-mp4/

My Oppo 95 supports MKV but, not surprisingly, my more BD Assn friendly Pioneer LX500 doesn't. Thank goodness for VLC and JRiver players. Of course, assuming most movies via Amazon Prime have lossy audio then there may not be much point by saving to MKV.

But this brings up another use I may have for MKV. Suppose I have a movie on DVD that I really enjoy save for a few really ugly scenes. Being on DVD the audio while decent is lossy Dolby Digital, but let's stick with using MKV anyway. All I'd want to do is to simply snip them out. Is there a free or low cost movie editor where, after Any DVD HD has decrypted the DVD, will let me copy its contents to my storage HDD and then let me view the chapters to then snip out the offending footage? Then save the rest to an MKV file-and at the original compression rate to keep the same A/V quality? And then burn to a blank dual layered DVD?

And will the DVD's original menu stay intact as well?

All I'd want to do is to simply snip them out. Is there a free or low cost movie editor
Try LosslessCut for that.

And will the DVD's original menu stay intact as well?
You can copy it, but I am not sure if it will recognize the files properly when you want to edit the movie. I never tried that.
So just do the following:
-Copy the disc to Harddrive with AnyDVD
-Use Losslesscut to cut the movie
-Use a DVD creating program to convert your new movie file into DVD files (.vob files)
-Now, don't overwrite the files. Instead, create a new folder, put the old menu files in there and then the edited movie files as well.

In my case, I have a small DVD:
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0 .IFO/.VOB
VTS_01_1 (about 1GB)
VTS_01_2 (270 MB)
You will have as much 1GB files as there need to be and the last one will also be at another size, if there wasn't enough to fill the GB.
So you copy all the Video_TS, VTS_01_0 etc files from the original DVD folder and then the big 1GB VTS_01_1, 2, 3 from you edited folder.

Then you try if you can play it and if the menu can still open the movie.

Try LosslessCut for that.

You can copy it, but I am not sure if it will recognize the files properly when you want to edit the movie. I never tried that.
So just do the following:
-Copy the disc to Harddrive with AnyDVD
-Use Losslesscut to cut the movie
-Use a DVD creating program to convert your new movie file into DVD files (.vob files)
-Now, don't overwrite the files. Instead, create a new folder, put the old menu files in there and then the edited movie files as well.

In my case, I have a small DVD:
VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0 .IFO/.VOB
VTS_01_1 (about 1GB)
VTS_01_2 (270 MB)
You will have as much 1GB files as there need to be and the last one will also be at another size, if there wasn't enough to fill the GB.
So you copy all the Video_TS, VTS_01_0 etc files from the original DVD folder and then the big 1GB VTS_01_1, 2, 3 from you edited folder.

Then you try if you can play it and if the menu can still open the movie.
Seems like a lot of work; good thing I don't have many DVD movies with objectionable scenes to delete. Question: When using Any DVD to copy the disc, can I copy it to my PC's HDD storage drive or must I copy it to the SDD system drive? I'd rather spare the SDD if possible as unlike the HDD it has a limited number of rewrites.

Back