• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

CloneBD write error

Believe it or not the 50 GB blank media burned the movie without a hitch. Was multitasking, downloading music, doing email, etc. etc. waiting for a crash that never happened. Not a hint of anything wrong. Have screenshots proving it but it's the 25 GB that shut of my PC 5 times while trying to read the movie, also all the data written prior to the crashes, but it's in the 3-5 GB range total, but made up of smaller files, just can't read them. No transcoder log, but there is stuff to send for analysis.

Didn't think the 50 GB disc would make a difference since it crashed during reading process repeatedly as shown but obviously cloneBD did not like something about the 25 GB blanks. I'm surprised it worked TBH.

Sent findings to Elby so they are aware. Can't imagine I'm the only person experiencing this. Don't know how anybody can deny there's big time bugs now.

Trying Walter Mitty (2013) 1 hour 46 mins, on another 25 GB blank. Not very confident of success. making screenshot of setup, expecting a crash. Any ideas, suggestions, or anyone else having similar things going on feel free to enlighten me. Already know to try Imgburn. This is about cloneBD.

Crash

Tried Secret Life of Walter Mitty with 25 GB blank media....failed to read and shut my PC down after about 20 minutes of reading. That's it for me. I give up. Can't have PC crashing hard over a probable bug infested program. Never crashed at all before this update, doesn't happen with 50 GB media. Will only use 50 GB media with cloneBD for now. Sad.

Could be doing irrevocable harm to expensive components by these multiple crashes. Can't afford to take the chance....and for what? Either nobody cares or doesn't want to hear it. Unfortunately its's for real, there's no denying it and I can't be the only one dealing with it. As I said all along, it's not just bad media. May be one here or there but not continually. This shows it the hard way as it never gets to the media for it to fail, unless it's 50 GB, then all is good. How and why I would love to know.

View attachment 26606 (folders and files that got written before crash)
View attachment 26607 (burn setup)

Note disabled audio core option. Sometimes it's enabled sometimes disabled with same movie if you go back and run the setup again. Good Luck

I note that the CloneBD product is still under development and is classified as a Beta product which to me implies there are still bugs to be removed and improvements to be made so complaining to Slysoft about another company's product does not hold much interest for me but I still want the bugs to be removed. The complexities facing the developers are more than I imagined so I am prepared to cut them some slack.

I am intrigued however, given your concerns about costs, about why you are not using re-writeable discs?

Just tried to backup Into the Woods (2 hours 5 mins) on 25GB Verbatim blank media.

What type of blanks do you use? Verbatim is a good brand, however, LTH blanks are the worst you can get (independent of the manufacturer).
For the future, take a look at the packing and avoid any blanks referring to LTH. If you use none-LTH blanks of Verbatim, then everything should be fine.

I note that the CloneBD product is still under development and is classified as a Beta product which to me implies there are still bugs to be removed and improvements to be made so complaining to Slysoft about another company's product does not hold much interest for me but I still want the bugs to be removed. The complexities facing the developers are more than I imagined so I am prepared to cut them some slack.

I am intrigued however, given your concerns about costs, about why you are not using re-writeable discs?

Description....

CloneBD lets you copy any unprotected Blu-ray to your hard drive, or any blank Blu-ray disc. With just a few clicks you can choose to make a partial copy of selected titles, audio languages, and subtitle languages, or you can do a straight 1:1 complete copy of your Blu-ray. CloneBD makes perfect 1:1 clones, but also compresses BD-50 to a single BD-25, BD-9 or BD-5.
CloneBD will also convert your Blu-ray discs to all popular file formats, such as .mp4, .mkv, .avi, and any devices like Android, iPhone/iPad, Smart TV, or any other current device. CloneBD supports all regions (A,B,C). There is no need to install a third party driver, since internal UDF 2.50 parser is already included. CloneBD supports multi-core CPUs and NVIDIA CUDA hardware acceleration for fastest copy speed.

See nothing about Beta mentioned and wonder how many people who, like me , were expecting the product to work in December and bought it. I think 4 months and things getting worse is more than enough slack. If, as you conclude, it's beta, maybe they should tell prospective customers. You can say anyDVD is beta since it's constantly changing but it works. I disagree cloneBD is beta.

When the PC crashes during the reading process don't see what good RE discs would do. Anyway they cost more than 50GB and with those I get a good backup everytime. Given that 25 GB blanks fail with 2 hour movies and 50GB blanks do not, a blind man can see it's a compression issue

Was using Slysoft/Elby interchangeable, sorry if I said Slysoft instead of Elby, that's kind of irrelevant though....not complaining either. Pointing out failures. If programmers don't get feedback, how will they know it's messed up? BTW won't be "complaining" anymore. They can fix it without my input. Had enough of being put down and made fun of while trying to help.

Thanks for your suggestions/input.

Last edited:
What type of blanks do you use? Verbatim is a good brand, however, LTH blanks are the worst you can get (independent of the manufacturer).
For the future, take a look at the packing and avoid any blanks referring to LTH. If you use none-LTH blanks of Verbatim, then everything should be fine.

Thanks for info on LTH blanks. 25 GB Verbatims are LTH. Probably why the price was so attractive. Won't go there again. Thanks a lot for info. I will avoid LTH on anything I buy in the future.

Have twice as many Ritek Ridata 25 GB media. Mostly have used those, and they are not LTH. Highly rated and say they "will record and play up to 130 minutes of HD video content @ 24Mb/s." Most of my failed burns around 120 minutes or less. So they are tested and guaranteed to write to the edge if necessary.

IDK how people can constantly place the blame on discs with 3 upgrades to the program in less than 1 week. If you read my posts above about my PC shutting down after reading for about 15 minutes cloneBD has serious problems and could do harm to an expensive machine, built piece by piece for best performance. Great up until now. No crashes whatsoever since September. Failed burns and things of that nature I can deal with but when PC itself gets involved different story.

Did you notice the bit in the description for the discs where it says @24Mb/s? The shrunk discs will be using a different bitrate than 24Mb/s which is why film length is irrelevant as bitrate is altered to fit them onto the disc. This is how how both DVD films and Blu-ray films are shrunk. You reduce the bitrate on the encode so the film can then fit to a smaller size if necessary.
For example. MI IV has an original bitrate of 37.5Mb/s for the video stream, on the shrunk version I have it's 23.8Mb/s which allows it to fit onto a SL BD-R. If the film is longer then you reduce the bitrate further to allow it to fit.

Also if your system is shutting down after 10 or 15 minutes of encoding you should probably check your fans are running and run some system diagnostics on your CPU and memory. The fact that it's shutting down normally points to a hardware issue that only shows up when the system is under high stress such as encoding h264. (Encoding DVD doesn't stress systems anywhere near as much). You could also try encoding a disc using BD Rebuilder to see if that also causes it to shut down, but I'd definitely run some memory tests using memtest and CPU tests using prime95 to be sure.

Last edited:
Did you notice the bit in the description for the discs where it says @24Mb/s? The shrunk discs will be using a different bitrate than 24Mb/s which is why film length is irrelevant as bitrate is altered to fit them onto the disc. This is how how both DVD films and Blu-ray films are shrunk. You reduce the bitrate on the encode so the film can then fit to a smaller size if necessary.
For example. MI IV has an original bitrate of 37.5Mb/s for the video stream, on the shrunk version I have it's 23.8Mb/s which allows it to fit onto a SL BD-R. If the film is longer then you reduce the bitrate further to allow it to fit.

Also if your system is shutting down after 10 or 15 minutes of encoding you should probably check your fans are running and run some system diagnostics on your CPU and memory. The fact that it's shutting down normally points to a hardware issue that only shows up when the system is under high stress such as encoding h264. (Encoding DVD doesn't stress systems anywhere near as much). You could also try encoding a disc using BD Rebuilder to see if that also causes it to shut down, but I'd definitely run some memory tests using memtest and CPU tests using prime95 to be sure.

Nice to know about the discs. More reason they should work. Did you read the bit in the description they are tested and guaranteed to 130 minutes? BTW as with DVD's, the program is supposed to handle the compression, not the user.

Why 3 updates to cloneBD in 5 days if nothing wrong with it?

Also if your system is shutting down after 10 or 15 minutes of encoding you should probably check your fans are running and run some system diagnostics on your CPU and memory.

I knew this was coming. It's all top of the line components, and almost new. MB came with analysis program. Checked it and nothing heating up excessively, all 4 10" fans working. Everything checks out normal. I guess you didn't comprehend the fact it'll encode and burn 50 GB discs all day. It encoded and burned 25 GB discs all day until last cloneBD release. I'm burning Prometheus now, testing with 25 GB disc and so far, no problems at all with 1037 and it went farther than any yesterday. Again, can safely burn 50 GB discs till the cows come home. There is no way it's my PC end of story.

Last edited:
When CloneBD does 50GB discs to. doesn't normally re-encode the video as it has no need to, it just passes the untouched video and audio stream through and removes the unwanted streams so it's not stressing it out the same as shrinking to a SL BD-R would.

It's entirely up to you if you want to test the hardware, but a complete system shut down is normally an indication of a hardware issue somewhere. We use top of the line components, makes no difference, they can still fail at any time or have issues when being fully stressed.

Does the analysis program allow you to run any stress tests?

Again if it was a general CloneBD issue everyone's systems would be shutting down and they're not which is why you eliminate it being a problem with your system by running some stress tests or going back to an earlier version and running those films through to see if it does the same thing.

When you say it's shutting down, is it just turning of or is it blue screening then rebooting?

Last edited:
It's entirely up to you if you want to test the hardware, but a complete system shut down is normally an indication of a hardware issue somewhere. We use top of the line components, makes no difference, they can still fail at any time or have issues when being fully stressed.

Totally agree.
A user mode application (like CloneBD) simply CAN'T bring down the system, even if the developer tries to figure out code, that does it on purpose.
A kernel mode driver can and hardware can.

When CloneBD does 50GB discs to. doesn't normally re-encode the video as it has no need to, it just passes the untouched video and audio stream through and removes the unwanted streams so it's not stressing it out the same as shrinking to a SL BD-R would.

Have 32 GB of DDR3 RAM. XFX 270x Video Board w/ 2 GB DDR5 RAM. 4.4 GHz Octacore processor. Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 MB. As you know, I've done over 50 25 GB without PC crashing. BTW, Prometheus on 25 GB went much farther with 1037, but crashed anyway. This time rebooting PC and bringing up BIOS!! Found out programming errors can cause that.

Called the gent that built my system and he said it most likely is the program, that programming errors or whatever he called them can cause what's happening here. He was a programmer in the US Navy and really knows his stuff. He also said BR and DVD video not that much different, that the sound is the real problem with BR. Just a coincidence 3 updates were done in 5 days and I burned for months without this happening. Whoever asked, no blue screens, just shut off totally with 1036, brought up BIOS with 1037.

This PC not being "stressed out" burning 25 GB, as I've done so many successfully while multitasking. Consider this, maybe 50 GB doesn't compress stuff but it takes a lot longer for them to burn so that's about a wash. In terms of other people having these issues how do you know they aren't?

Forget about these excuses, especially blaming my PC. Just doesn't add up. Not overheating or doing anything out of the ordinary, beside crashing with new versions of cloneBD. That is only change to system. Just will do 20 GB or maybe play with BDR or whatever it's called until this gets fixed. They got my money so why should anybody care if I go in another direction. Can't and won't have my PC constantly crashing.

Going away for awhile after this. Wasting too much time going round and round, It's your discs. It's your PC. It's everything or anything but a program with 3 updates in 5 days!!! That's an indication of serious problems (compression).

If he thinks encoding MPEG 2 for DVD and x264 for Blu-ray aren't that different then he really doesn't know what he's talking about. They are massively different. MPEG 2 for DVD hardly touches the system compared to x264 which will max out CPU and RAM usage and stress the system much more than MPEG 2.

As Pete has already said a user mode application can't force a system to shut off unless there's an underlying hardware issue to start with which is why I suggested stress testing the system.

Plus look at it logically, Your system shuts down when encoding (not the same as burning which happens at the end of the encoding) and nobody else has the problem, so which is more likely, that the program has been written to cause only your system to shut down and no other, or that your system has hardware issue? If it was just crashing CloneBD then I would say it might be a software issue, but shutting the system down is a completely different thing.

Nice to know about the discs. More reason they should work. Did you read the bit in the description they are tested and guaranteed to 130 minutes? BTW as with DVD's, the program is supposed to handle the compression, not the user.
They are guaranteed to write 130mins at 24Mb/s not 130mins at any bitrate, and the discs obviously don't otherwise you wouldn't have got the burn error on the one that came in under the size of a SL BD-R

Last edited:
mcmenace said:
Forget about these excuses, especially blaming my PC. Just doesn't add up. Not overheating or doing anything out of the ordinary, beside crashing with new versions of cloneBD. That is only change to system. Just will do 20 GB or maybe play with BDR or whatever it's called until this gets fixed. They got my money so why should anybody care if I go in another direction. Can't and won't have my PC constantly crashing.

Just trying many different discs and arguing what the problem is isn't going to help, no matter how frustrated you may feel.
Pete helps develop the software and Adbear may have more experience with this than anyone else here (especially when it comes to burning discs/building systems)
They have both had helpful suggestions on various issues that you haven't followed.

I think you now need to stick with just one disc/problem and troubleshoot properly what the issue is, it will be much easier for everyone.

Start with Prometheus crashing on a 25GB disc:

mcmenace said:
Prometheus on 25 GB went much farther with 1037, but crashed anyway. This time rebooting PC and bringing up BIOS!!
Not overheating or doing anything out of the ordinary, beside crashing with new versions of cloneBD. That is only change to system.

You think it is an issue with new versions of CloneBD, so first you need to find out what version of CloneBD works without crashing your PC.
Roll back to 1.0.3.6, use the exact same settings with Prometheus - Does it crash?
Roll back to 1.0.3.5, use the exact same settings with Prometheus - Does it crash?
You get the picture.
If you do find a version that doesn't crash your PC, try that version a few more times (make sure it isn't a one off)

Another thing to check would be to see if you are actually getting a blue screen and it's rebooting or if it's just rebooting. If it's a blue screen the system will reboot and try to go back into Windows. If it just shuts off then goes into the BIOS then it's more indicative of a hardware issue otherwise it would just try to go back in to Windows as normal after the restart.

If it's a blue screen you can stop Windows from rebooting by turning that option off in Windows so when it blue screens it just stops with the blue screen message until you physically restart the machine.
Click on the start button in Windows and go to 'Control Panel', in there then go to 'System' and on the left choose 'Advanced System Settings'.

On the next screen that comes up click on the 'settings' button in the 'Start-up and Recovery' section

In the 'Systems failure' section untick 'Automatically Restart' and hit OK

You could also change the 'Write debugging information' to 'Small memory dump' that way if it does cause a blue screen you have a smaller memory dump file on your hardrive to upload for someone to look at to see what could be causing the issue.

If you do get a blue screen you could take a pic using a camera or phone then upload that shot on here. If you can't take a pic then write down the error code (usually STOP 0x00000 followed by 2 or 3 numbers and letters) and sometimes it will tell you which module or file it was running when it happened. Post both of those up and it may give a better indication of what's causing the blue screen

Clone BD write error

See nothing about Beta mentioned and wonder how many people who, like me , were expecting the product to work in December and bought it. I think 4 months and things getting worse is more than enough slack. If, as you conclude, it's beta, maybe they should tell prospective customers. You can say anyDVD is beta since it's constantly changing but it works. I disagree cloneBD is beta.

When the PC crashes during the reading process don't see what good RE discs would do. Anyway they cost more than 50GB and with those I get a good backup everytime. Given that 25 GB blanks fail with 2 hour movies and 50GB blanks do not, a blind man can see it's a compression issue

Was using Slysoft/Elby interchangeable, sorry if I said Slysoft instead of Elby, that's kind of irrelevant though....not complaining either. Pointing out failures. If programmers don't get feedback, how will they know it's messed up? BTW won't be "complaining" anymore. They can fix it without my input. Had enough of being put down and made fun of while trying to help.

Thanks for your suggestions/input.

Technically you are right CloneBD is not in Beta but the trial period is still open and SlyFox1 when announcing the release of CloneBD "Changelog CloneBD Blu-ray Media Converter

CloneBD has been tested for a couple of month by our beta testers (thank you guys!)
and they helped us to find and fix major and minor bugs and to improve the
features of CloneBD.
But no beta test can ensure a 100% perfect software application.
CloneBD is not 100% perfect yet, but we are working hard to get there" So I feel there is little point in criticizing the developers.
Regarding re-writeable discs I am assuming that you are burning discs because you referred to wasting discs and in that situation you can delete what you have burned and re-use the disc. If you are not burning onto the disc then my assumption is wrong and I apologise for that.

Congrats

If he thinks encoding MPEG 2 for DVD and x264 for Blu-ray aren't that different then he really doesn't know what he's talking about. They are massively different. MPEG 2 for DVD hardly touches the system compared to x264 which will max out CPU and RAM usage and stress the system much more than MPEG 2.

As Pete has already said a user mode application can't force a system to shut off unless there's an underlying hardware issue to start with which is why I suggested stress testing the system.

Plus look at it logically, Your system shuts down when encoding (not the same as burning which happens at the end of the encoding) and nobody else has the problem, so which is more likely, that the program has been written to cause only your system to shut down and no other, or that your system has hardware issue? If it was just crashing CloneBD then I would say it might be a software issue, but shutting the system down is a completely different thing.

They are guaranteed to write 130mins at 24Mb/s not 130mins at any bitrate, and the discs obviously don't otherwise you wouldn't have got the burn error on the one that came in under the size of a SL BD-R

Yeah like You said it's my PC - but only since a new version of cloneBD appeared. It's my discs - but only on a 2hr movie. Last release of clone BD proves what I said all along - it's the program. You guys can go wipe the egg off your faces now that the latest release came out AND FIXED EVERYTHING. Too bad you yourself didn't bother to look at it logically, like I did. You convinced yourselves it couldn't be the program now lets see you take your medicine like a man.

Voila.....all of a sudden my bad PC and discs fixed themselves ROFLOL. So much for all your slick excuses. I said all along it was the program and with every new iteration's errors you had a new BS sob story, starting with Antivirus all the way to my bad 6 month old top of the line PC and trying to prove you know more than a Navy trained programmer but wouldn't even consider the real problem. Next time I go to a corn on the cob roast I'll remember your kernals haha.

Looks like cloneBD is finally working as intended. Congrats. And if this refers to cinavia

- fix: watermark detection was broken

It's close to a finished product. I am able to backup Inception (2010 - 148mins) on 25 GB blank media. Ingloriuos Basterds (2010 139mins.) on 25 GB blank.....and watched them all the way through. Last couple releases crashed the PC, and I was ready to give up. The American freezes up, but could be on this end.

Finally close to getting the product I thought it was when I bought it. I hope all the stuff I sent in helped. To Elby/Slysoft a big thank you for your hard work and commitment to excellence.

I know I'm probably wasting my time and in your usual grown up manner you'll just make some snide or childish derogatory comment.

I still believe you have a problem with your system. No software error can force your system to reboot and go into the BIOS. You can get reboots from Blue screens which if you bothered to read my posts I did ask if it was one of those you were getting, but to reboot and go into the BIOS after a reboot points to a hardware issue. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back again in the future.
Even Pete who's one of the developers stated that, and he should know better than anyone else.

It also makes no difference how old the system is nor if it's 'top of the line' if hardware becomes faulty it becomes faulty no matter who makes it, that's why we stress test all our systems for 24 hours before sending them out, and even then they can still develop faults a few months down the road, that's why they have warranties.

As to your 'navy trained programmer' who cares who trained him. Why should a Navy trained programmer know more than me about hardware issues? I'm working from 20+ years of building and supporting systems and hardware. I know many fully trained programmers who don't have the first clue when it comes to the hardware side as they tend to get systems built for them and never get involved on the hardware side.

I seriously recommend you get him to run a proper stress test over your system, something that really hammers the RAM such as leaving memtest running over night, and something that stresses out the CPU such as Prime95 as there's definitely something not right with it if it reboots and goes into the BIOS.

I know I'm probably wasting my time and in your usual grown up manner you'll just make some snide or childish derogatory comment.

I still believe you have a problem with your system. No software error can force your system to reboot and go into the BIOS. You can get reboots from Blue screens which if you bothered to read my posts I did ask if it was one of those you were getting, but to reboot and go into the BIOS after a reboot points to a hardware issue. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back again in the future.
Even Pete who's one of the developers stated that, and he should know better than anyone else.

It also makes no difference how old the system is nor if it's 'top of the line' if hardware becomes faulty it becomes faulty no matter who makes it, that's why we stress test all our systems for 24 hours before sending them out, and even then they can still develop faults a few months down the road, that's why they have warranties.

As to your 'navy trained programmer' who cares who trained him. Why should a Navy trained programmer know more than me about hardware issues? I'm working from 20+ years of building and supporting systems and hardware. I know many fully trained programmers who don't have the first clue when it comes to the hardware side as they tend to get systems built for them and never get involved on the hardware side.

I seriously recommend you get him to run a proper stress test over your system, something that really hammers the RAM such as leaving memtest running over night, and something that stresses out the CPU such as Prime95 as there's definitely something not right with it if it reboots and goes into the BIOS.

Still insist on blaming my PC? Well it's been how many weeks now and not a single crash. BTW, never had a blue screen with any of the crashes that was your conclusion, 1 reboot to BIOS out of many crashes and only crashed when running certain iterations of cloneBD. Just a coincidence my PC "fixed itself" with the release of a cloneBD upgrade, right?

So much for your hardware issues, again, it was the program Just like the AntiVirus "non-problem" you get an idea fixated in your mind and don't look at anything else. Same thing with my PC. Anything but the program. Well you're absolutely wrong and time and the upgrade have proven it.

As for bashing my friend's knowledge, he's built and tested all my PC's, super high end ones for CAD designers, designed, wired, and supported a network for a medium-sized business etc. etc. You don't have a clue about his background other than he learned programming in the US NAVY yet you pat yourself on the back and put him down. He was right and you were wrong. It's that simple in this case.

Hey take it like a man, nobody's perfect. So you missed one. You really shouldn't call me names and especially put decent folks down because they know more than you about certain things. Your ego is overwhelming.

Stop. :policeman:

mcmenace, you come here and want things fixed. That's fine. I would recommend you just ignore everyone who simply doesn't know anything about anything and/or deal directly with customer support if dealing with some people who are actually trying to be helpful is as awful as it seems.

To everyone else, save your breath. And time. And just stop.

Last edited:
A missive to mcmenace

Please see my experience with PDVD live in general chat.

Back