• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Clone BD vs. MakeMKV

CloneBD has the ability to parse the menu information, so, it can help quite a bit with some episode discs. Couple that with the ability to play each titleset right there as you select it and the result is quite powerful.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding but I don't really see how that helps, my thinking is the only way to find the correct episode is for the user to look at the menu, navigate/move to the episode and select it (this is how I myself currently find each episode with PowerDVD/ProcMon)

I don't see how it's possible for this to process be automated.

Using the preview/title player would only help if the user had already seen the episodes and can tell which was which (unless CloneBD player can eventually bring up the menu for the user to select/view)

GoT-S4D2.PNG

I think you misunderstood what I said about it parsing the menu. See in the pic there? Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3. In this case they are in order with the titlesets which is delightful, but, that is not always the case. What I was saying about being able to play them is to verify that the episodes are correct.

View attachment 27100

I think you misunderstood what I said about it parsing the menu. See in the pic there? Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3. In this case they are in order with the titlesets which is delightful, but, that is not always the case. What I was saying about being able to play them is to verify that the episodes are correct.

Yes, but I've seen movie discs where CloneBD lists the main/special features as episodes (it thinks its a TV show disc), so it's not getting that info from the menus, I believe it's an educated guess, similar to AnyDVD Speedmenus (which is very good) though not always correct.

Lets say episode 3 is actually episode 2, how exactly could you verify that with the preview player without having knowledge of the episode beforehand? I myself don't want to watch a part of an episodes/spoilers that I haven't seen yet.

Yes, but I've seen movie discs where CloneBD lists the main/special features as episodes (it thinks its a TV show disc), so it's not getting that info from the menus, I believe it's an educated guess, similar to AnyDVD Speedmenus (which is very good) though not always correct.

Lets say episode 3 is actually episode 2, how exactly could you verify that with the preview player without having knowledge of the episode beforehand? I myself don't want to watch a part of an episodes/spoilers that I haven't seen yet.

Neither of them is perfect in this regard of helping the user identify the playlist s/he wants to copy - try Game of Thrones season 1 Disk 3 for an example. But I would say on balance CloneBD is generally stronger on the UI though. Also on handling "flawed" disks".

I'm not sure I agree with SamuraiHL that it's the "right" priority to focus on the transcoding. I suspect there are a lot of people like me who -don't- want transcoding. Also, the whole idea of (a) physical optical media and (b) having to squeeze stuff down to fit disk space (look at the new Samsung SSD's just for example) is a dying market imo. But it's their business, their call.

If the transcoding engine did nothing but compressing the main movie, I might agree with you. ;)

If the transcoding engine did nothing but compressing the main movie, I might agree with you. ;)

If you are pointing out there might be technical reasons for this prioritisation that I don't understand, of course you may well be right... :)

If you are pointing out there might be technical reasons for this prioritisation that I don't understand, of course you may well be right... :)

Yea, there are some things about the transcoding engine that aren't well understood. By forcing everything to go through it, they're able to improve it. So while they're doing that, it's forced. Eventually it won't be.

Yea, there are some things about the transcoding engine that aren't well understood. By forcing everything to go through it, they're able to improve it. So while they're doing that, it's forced. Eventually it won't be.

It weird how currently users can choose either untouched video or untouched audio in a MKV output, but not both together.
Hopefully we can get both options together soon :D

It weird how currently users can choose either untouched video or untouched audio in a MKV output, but not both together.
Hopefully we can get both options together soon :D

It'll get there. I have faith. These are minor things to fix. The main pieces are in place for it to happen. They're in overtime fixing bugs right now.

I'm going to jump in here. I want it noted that my opinion is from a user's perspective. I'm taking my moderator hat off for a minute.

I use MakeMKV to make all of my non-3D backups. I've been doing this for MANY years at this point. I ALWAYS use it with AnyDVD enabled, ignoring the MakeMKV warning about incompatibilities. Never had a problem there. MakeMKV is convenient, but, IMO lacking in several key areas that I think CloneBD can eventually bring to the table. . . . .

So where does CloneBD currently fall down?

The most obvious is the fact that all video is transcoded currently. . . .

I'd argue that subtitles are a shortcoming right now, as well. MakeMKV has a brilliant feature . . . .

So, passthrough of video (we'll get there, I'm quite sure), passthrough of audio, passthrough of subs with the ability to create separate forced sub tracks, and the ability of auto-selecting based on my preferences (english audio, hd, english subs as an example)...

If you're not comfortable with where CloneBD is at and don't want to buy something based on promises, I can respect that. To you, I'd said, sit back and wait and watch those release notes for each new build. Eventually you're going to see the MKV output get some love. When it does, then let the real comparisons happen. It's just not ready.....yet.

Very nice summary, and quite accurate. My question: this was posted in June, and now it's November . . . how have things improved between June and now with regards to CloneBD? It's an honest question . . . I've been using MakeMKV exactly as you mention above (with AnyDVD enabled), and haven't really been tracking the improvements with new versions of CloneBD, because it just "wasn't there yet" for me. For anyone who has been using CloneBD regularly, how has its function improved compared to 6 months ago? Are we getting close to replacing MakeMKV?

Very nice summary, and quite accurate. My question: this was posted in June, and now it's November . . . how have things improved between June and now with regards to CloneBD? It's an honest question . . . I've been using MakeMKV exactly as you mention above (with AnyDVD enabled), and haven't really been tracking the improvements with new versions of CloneBD, because it just "wasn't there yet" for me. For anyone who has been using CloneBD regularly, how has its function improved compared to 6 months ago? Are we getting close to replacing MakeMKV?

CloneBD has improved a lot in the last few months. If you'd like, you can still download CloneBD and try it vs. MakeMKV--CloneBD is still in beta right now.

I'll admit, I'm actually for the first time trying out MakeMKV for a 30 day trial, and I'm quite impressed by what it does, but I won't be giving up making ISOs yet for the foreseeable future, because AnyDVD HD/CloneBD suits my needs right now.

With the very latest builds of CloneBD I think we may be close now. I just posted yesterday that I need to do some testing and plan to do so soon.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Buy the car you like, buy the food you like, buy the software you like.....

With the very latest builds of CloneBD I think we may be close now. I just posted yesterday that I need to do some testing and plan to do so soon.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

SamuriHL, with your Mod hat off for a sec, when you do test both programs, what, in your opinion, does CloneBD need to match, at the very least, or even to surpass, what I've seen from the testing I've done with MakeMKV?

SamuriHL, with your Mod hat off for a sec, when you do test both programs, what, in your opinion, does CloneBD need to match, at the very least, or even to surpass, what I've seen from the testing I've done with MakeMKV?

My requirements are pretty simple. For output I simply want the streams I select output to an MKV container. One of the features that MakeMKV has that I truly enjoy is the ability to extract forced subs out to a separate sub stream in the MKV. I don't believe CloneBD has that ability. However, if I can get untouched video, untouched HD audio, and all the sub streams I require into an MKV from CloneBD, that may be enough to get me to switch. One of the benefits CloneBD is going to have over MakeMKV comes with screenpass protected discs.

question what does lossless mkv mean? j/w thankx

long tiiiiiiiime supporter of slysoft always will be (y)(y):sneaky::););):p:p:p:D:Do_O:rolleyes::barefoot::coffee::coffee: and whats screenpass protected discs

My requirements are pretty simple. For output I simply want the streams I select output to an MKV container. One of the features that MakeMKV has that I truly enjoy is the ability to extract forced subs out to a separate sub stream in the MKV. I don't believe CloneBD has that ability. However, if I can get untouched video, untouched HD audio, and all the sub streams I require into an MKV from CloneBD, that may be enough to get me to switch. One of the benefits CloneBD is going to have over MakeMKV comes with screenpass protected discs.

Thanks for your view on CloneBD/MakeMKV, SamuriHL. I'll admit that I'll probably purchase a license for MakeMKV when my trial runs out in a few weeks, but I like to have options when it comes to my purchased media.

Slysoft, as always, is my first choice when it comes to controlling my purchased Blu-rays/DVDs.

Ditto. Makemkv does one thing and does it very well. Once clonebd hits this functionality, and it seems like it's pretty close now, then there's one hell of a lot of added value in there as well, which I certainly will also use from time to time. Very pleased with what I'm seeing.

Well, I tried a few different movies today. 2 from ISO and one from disc. None completed without errors. One completed and seems like it's ok, but, it still gave errors at the end. Not sure why. The other 2 crashed before it even started. I selected MKV output, selected the HD audio track only, english subs, then set lossless video, lossless audio, blu-ray subs as the output. Kaboom. That's with 1.0.6.8. I've sent some of the logs to elby, but, that is not a good start. I'll keep trying as I like the interface and if it'd simply work it'd be the way to go.

Well, I tried a few different movies today. 2 from ISO and one from disc. None completed without errors. One completed and seems like it's ok, but, it still gave errors at the end. Not sure why. The other 2 crashed before it even started. I selected MKV output, selected the HD audio track only, english subs, then set lossless video, lossless audio, blu-ray subs as the output. Kaboom. That's with 1.0.6.8. I've sent some of the logs to elby, but, that is not a good start. I'll keep trying as I like the interface and if it'd simply work it'd be the way to go.

SamuriHL, I tried out CloneBD version 1.0.6.6 last week with Justice League Unlimited 3 disc set. The 3 isos converted ok, and I played the isos in PowerDVD 15 Ultra alright, but when I burned each of them to a blu-ray disc, I noticed that at times the 3 discs would pause at weird moments.

I then used BD-Rebuilder instead, and the results I had allowed me to create 3 blu-ray discs that played with my Blu-ray player without incident.

CloneBD is close, but it still has some bugs that need to ironed out.

Back